RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guess which team wins the 2021 Draft Lottery!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team wins the #1 Pick?
The New York Liberty
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
The Atlanta Dream
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
The Dallas Wings
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
The Indiana Fever
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They copy the NBA process (like they do with a lot of things), where the actual draw has always been behind closed doors (with several observers).

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not made with any team getting the #1 pick but wasn't the whole point of changing the lottery odds to a 2 year average to prevent the rewarding of tanking? Seems like it's done the opposite since it's been....

NY
NY
LV
LV
LV (as SAS)
SEA
SEA

🤔

The new systems seems to guarantee tanking teams at least 2 number one picks in a row.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/04/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
I worked in the gaming industry for 35 years. If a drawing CAN be fixed it WILL be fixed.
You can be pretty certain that any drawing that is held behind close doors has been fixed.

The teams get to witness the draw

Explain why it isn't done out in the open where the public can see it?

It's a dramatic event that needs to be done live, with the team presidents on camera. And heaven knows that the W needs publicity. It's conspicuous by the fact that there is no other example, unless you say the nominating process of our two political parties.

Because they determine the #1 pick first, which is far less dramatic than the countdown they televise. The team representatives who witness the draw are not the same ones who are at the televised presentation, so you still get an honest reaction.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Catchings & the Fever can’t catch a break ! Hey 2nd year in a row with #2 Pick I’ll take it!

PostPosted: 12/04/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'm not made with any team getting the #1 pick but wasn't the whole point of changing the lottery odds to a 2 year average to prevent the rewarding of tanking? Seems like it's done the opposite since it's been....

NY
NY
LV
LV
LV (as SAS)
SEA
SEA

🤔

The new systems seems to guarantee tanking teams at least 2 number one picks in a row.

Yeh, it was really brilliant of the Liberty to "tank" by arranging for Sabrina Ionesco to get that season-ending injury in game #3. What a ridiculous way of discussing alleged "tanking."

PostPosted: 12/04/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Same results as last year with Indy & ATL switching from 4 to 3.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Poor Catchings & the Fever can’t catch a break ! Hey 2nd year in a row with #2 Pick I’ll take it!

Who are getting at that #2 spot? 😁

linkster

PostPosted: 12/05/20 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
I worked in the gaming industry for 35 years. If a drawing CAN be fixed it WILL be fixed.
You can be pretty certain that any drawing that is held behind close doors has been fixed.

It's a dramatic event that needs to be done live, with the team presidents on camera. And heaven knows that the W needs publicity. It's conspicuous by the fact that there is no other example, unless you say the nominating process of our two political parties.

Because they determine the #1 pick first, which is far less dramatic than the countdown they televise. The team representatives who witness the draw are not the same ones who are at the televised presentation, so you still get an honest reaction.

No one yet has a plausible reason to hide the drawing from public view. (except me)

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/05/20 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

No one yet has a plausible reason to hide the drawing from public view. (except me)

On the Mock Draft thread, Shades posted a video of the actual drawing. Here it is again:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://youtube.com/embed/xC3-C1Rjkfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 12/05/20 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I voted for NY because I'm an impossible pessimist. Beside, the last time a team got a new owner they got 3 No. 1 in row. Liberty ought to get at least 2 for getting rid of HLJ. (Dream - pay attention....)

As someone might say "Boooooo Yeah......"

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/05/20 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

NY
NY
LV
LV
LV (as SAS)
SEA
SEA

🤔

Yeh, it was really brilliant of the Liberty to "tank" by arranging for Sabrina Ionesco to get that season-ending injury in game #3. What a ridiculous way of discussing alleged "tanking."

My apologies. I wasn't accusing any of those teams of tanking. So definitely a careless use of the general phrase. Just stating that the reconfiguration of the draft lottery was designed to discourage tanking. Sorry for the confusion.

My point is that the new system seems to have guaranteed multiple #1 picks for low performing teams. Look back to before the new rule and see how many back to back #1 picks there have been.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/05/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This league is ridiculous. Forget my team continually getting fucked, the lottery has once again meant a team gets consecutive No. 1. Three teams collecting all of the No. 1 picks over seven years.

It's not a tenable situation. Every year it happens makes me less interested in this league.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/20 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:

They did post a video of it afterwards, in case you really needed to see them redraw New York four more times after they got the #1 pick.

PostPosted: 12/05/20 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

• LeBron going to Cleveland
• Derrick Rose going to Chicago
• Candace Parker going to LA when they already had Lisa f****** Leslie
• Seattle getting 4 #1s while some franchises haven’t even gotten 1
• Griner going to Phoenix

I could see the draft being 100% by the book. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/05/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be blunt, given how much of a fucking shambles the running of the WNBA has often been over the years, does it really seem likely that they'd have fixed a series of draft lotteries and managed to keep it quiet for decades?

PostPosted: 12/05/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
To be blunt, given how much of a fucking shambles the running of the WNBA has often been over the years, does it really seem likely that they'd have fixed a series of draft lotteries and managed to keep it quiet for decades?

LOL. Exactly right, Richyyy. We're apparently supposed to believe that an ever-changing array of WNBA executives are all geniuses at fixing draft lotteries year after year--and keeping it quiet, even after a good number are no longer working for the WNBA--while being incompetent at so many other crucial and less than crucial tasks needed to run the league.

Hey, this is a country where people love conspiracy theories. If there's an election and your candidate loses, but he says FRAUD 3000 times with no proof, it was a conspiracy. Right?

Here's my modest hope for 2021. Could the geniuses in the WNBA office who are so brilliant at fixing lotteries actually make the WNBA website at least mediocre as opposed to absolutely embarrassing?

PostPosted: 12/06/20 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
does it really seem likely that they'd have fixed a series of draft lotteries and managed to keep it quiet for decades?

When you put it like that, most likely not.

But damn, looking at these odds year after year and seeing teams continually get hosed in the process makes the mind wander, I guess.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
does it really seem likely that they'd have fixed a series of draft lotteries and managed to keep it quiet for decades?

But damn, looking at these odds year after year and seeing teams continually get hosed in the process makes the mind wander, I guess.

If someone wants to run the numbers, I bet it's not far off running to exactly what the percentages say it should be over the course of history. You just need a big enough sample size to even things out.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anyone deserves the #1 pick it’s the Fever. I like Liberty tho, and they are my #2 pick behind my Storm to win a ‘ship. I’d love for the fans to feel what that is like.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If someone wants to run the numbers, I bet it's not far off running to exactly what the percentages say it should be over the course of history. You just need a big enough sample size to even things out.

I was curious on this, so:

2021 - Liberty had the most chances and won.
2020 - Liberty had the most chances and won.
2019 - Fever had the most chances, ended up selecting third. Won by the Aces, again.
2018 - Aces had the most chances and won.
2017 - Silver Stars had the most chances and won.
2016 - Storm had the most chances and won.
2015 - Storm had the most chances and won.
2014 - Sun had the most chances and won.
2013 - Mystics had the most chances, won by the Mercury with the second most.
2012 - Shock had the most chances, won by the Sparks who had the least.
2011 - Shock had the most chances, won by Lynx with the second most chances.
2010 - Monarchs had the best chances, won by Lynx, who had the second most chances.

So you’re right, nothing too crazy except for the fact that the Aces were able to get the #1 in three consecutive years, Storm getting two #1s back to back, and 2012.

Personally, the consecutive #1 pick thing should also come to an end but I doubt it’ll happen.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole point of the draft is to redirect talent toward bad teams who need it the most. New York is 19-71 (.211) in the last three years. How much more do you need us to suck? The Liberty absolutely deserve these high picks. And even when we’re lucky, we’ve been unlucky. Yeah, the Liberty got #1 this season and #2 last year. But Ionescu and Durr have appeared in only 21 out of a possible 78 games (26.9%). Probably whoever we draft in 2021 will also get hurt or opt out. So, NY is both bad and unlucky. All you other fans should just stop whining and thank your lucky stars that you’re not us!

PostPosted: 12/06/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York should be stalled out, they deserve it as well. Everyone else though is fair game, IMO.

PostPosted: 12/06/20 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of this could be prevented by a rule change that says no team can get the Nu. 1 two years in a row. Others have suggested this.

A lot of times the No. 1 pick is really not all that. Would you rather the No. 1 pick in 2017 (Plum) or the No. 6 pick in 2019 (Collier). Of course, the Aces could have had Collier or Arike, but passed on both. Then there was the year that J. Jones went 6th, while MoJeff and Tuck were picked 2 and 3 (or 3 and 2?) Winning No. 1 this year may not be as good as getting No. 2 or 3 was last year. Likewise, No. 1 would have been pretty lame the year Seattle won the lottery if Loyd hadn't declared early. But it works both ways - the Aces might have been better off if Young hadn't declared early......

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/07/20 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im not complaining , feels as though we have gotten the #2 or 3 Pick consecutively for the last 5 years LOL

PostPosted: 12/07/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
A lot of this could be prevented by a rule change that says no team can get the No. 1 two years in a row.

It'd be interesting to see if this would work as an occasional anti-tanking measure. Because bad teams might look at the draft pool and go "oh shit, we don't want the best chance of the #1 this year" and try to win some late-season games to avoid it. It would result in the negative of some fans seeing the lottery results and going "dammit, we got the #1!"

And you'd have to make the rule "no team can win the lottery two years in a row", because otherwise you'd have the awkwardness of teams trying to trade away the #1 pick in Year X in order to be eligible to get it again in Year X+1 when a known superstar is coming around.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: