Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/07/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Some of you guys say you're hesitant to put out your own opinions but sure are quick to offer counterarguments to those of us that are. Laughing I don't really understand why, since none of our collective speculations truly matter lmao, especially with this much uncertainty.

It wasn't so quick, I waited like 3 hours. Wink

Basically, it comes down to not having enough confidence to predict anything. The reason it's so easy to knock down other people's ideas is because I can probably knock down all ideas -- including my own. Liberty management said they like the players on their roster. They also like the players who opted out. They also intend to be aggressive in the free agent and trade markets. And that doesn't even include the draft. The Liberty will need a 20-player roster to accommodate everybody. Hopkins said this past season was about the young players, but he gave most of the minutes to his veterans. He said they were going to play small ball, but New York almost exclusively used two posts. Then after the season, he insisted that using Zahui and Stokes together was never the plan and that they will go back to small-ball. As for our concerns about defensive mismatches, Walt hinted at special adjustments they were going to make to protect the SFs playing PF. However, on the rare occasions that New York actually went small, it looked like the undersized post was just left to fend for herself. Hopkins later said they don't like to send double-teams. OK, then what are the adjustments?

This is why I have no confidence predicting what they will do. Back when Laimbeer was here, the guy had a track record and he also told you his philosophy as well as the type of players he liked. Bill was fairly consistent. Yes, there were some changes over time -- like he seemed to become more accepting of small guards. Still, I felt well informed when it came to forecasting what Laimbeer would do. With Hopkins/Kolb, the rhetoric and the actions don't match. I'm sure they'll tell you that their plans were disrupted by players opting-out and because of the odd circumstances of this season. Fair enough. But it still leaves us fans scratching our heads and wondering.

I agree but

my reaction instead of making no predictions is to basically make every prediction.

... which is one of the things I enjoy about the NY threads. There's always ideas being tossed around.

PostPosted: 10/07/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And to be fair, while it sometimes can leave the impression that they're not sure what they're doing, being flexible is exactly what you want from your front office and coaching staff. They should like the people they've got under contract to at least some extent. But you should be aggressive in free agency, because if, say, Liz Cambage, Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray all say they want to come to New York this offseason, then screw the youth movement (and the small-ball movement) and go win now. There are definitely plenty of things to criticise about the Liberty this year, but being unpredictable is mostly a good thing. It means they can pivot in whichever direction looks like the most profitable.

PostPosted: 10/08/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And to be fair, while it sometimes can leave the impression that they're not sure what they're doing, being flexible is exactly what you want from your front office and coaching staff. They should like the people they've got under contract to at least some extent. But you should be aggressive in free agency, because if, say, Liz Cambage, Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray all say they want to come to New York this offseason, then screw the youth movement (and the small-ball movement) and go win now. There are definitely plenty of things to criticise about the Liberty this year, but being unpredictable is mostly a good thing. It means they can pivot in whichever direction looks like the most profitable.

I love this speculation, thanks Wink

Gray/Clarendon
Ionescu/Durr/Jones
Nurse/Walker (or Willoughby or Odom lol)
Ogwumike/Allen
Cambage/Charli Collier/Stokes

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/10/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion the only way Amanda Zahui B is on the Liberty next year
is if she is cored. Is she worth Max ?

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/11/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Not only no, but hell no ...

PostPosted: 10/11/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Not only no, but hell no ...

If she is not cored then she will go to whichever team pays her the most money.

PostPosted: 10/11/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is the date that players have to be cored by for the 2021 season ?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/13/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
What is the date that players have to be cored by for the 2021 season ?

I don’t know if things have changed with the new CBA, but negotiations usually start 1/15 and signings begin 2/01.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/25/20 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bec Allen interview
https://www.facebook.com/tvhostbenibrahim/
Still sounds very keen on playing for (and living in) NY

PostPosted: 10/30/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020/21 review/preview for the New York Liberty. Cap details and analysis from me, all the rest from Gabe Ibrahim: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-5d7

PostPosted: 10/30/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
2020/21 review/preview for the New York Liberty. Cap details and analysis from me, all the rest from Gabe Ibrahim: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-5d7

Thanks, Richyyy; great job.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/31/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Thanks, Richyyy; great job.

Yes, thanks so much, Richyyy, for doing this terrific work and sharing it with all of us.

PostPosted: 11/08/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got some info on Sabrina's operation ...

She was with her high school coach, walking down a steep hill to Nation's for a burger when her coach noticed her limping. He said it's been eight weeks, you shoudn't be limping. She finally agreed to get it checked, and they found a small bone chip with some calcification and scraped it out. No tendon damage or anything. Pretty minor, all in all ...

PostPosted: 11/09/20 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Got some info on Sabrina's operation ...

She was with her high school coach, walking down a steep hill to Nation's for a burger when her coach noticed her limping. He said it's been eight weeks, you shoudn't be limping. She finally agreed to get it checked, and they found a small bone chip with some calcification and scraped it out. No tendon damage or anything. Pretty minor, all in all ...

Thanks for this report. Glad that's all it was.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got a phone call this morning from a very nice New York Liberty ticket rep with whom I'd never spoken before. He invited me to an online holiday party on Fri. Dec. 18th at 6:00 p.m. He wasn't certain who would be there but definitely mentioned Walt Hopkins.

I've never been a season ticket holder but am in their system from holding partial plans for years and for seeing the 2019 game at the Barclay Center. So I found it interesting that I was getting called for this event. If any of you aren't getting called but would like to attend, I'd get in touch with the Liberty ticket staff. I assume they'll be happy for any fan to come.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 11/30/20 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Got a phone call this morning from a very nice New York Liberty ticket rep with whom I'd never spoken before. He invited me to an online holiday party on Fri. Dec. 18th at 6:30 p.m. He wasn't certain who would be there but definitely mentioned Walt Hopkins.

I've never been a season ticket holder but am in their system from holding partial plans for years and for seeing the 2019 game at the Barclay Center. So I found it interesting that I was getting called for this event. If any of you aren't getting called but would like to attend, I'd get in touch with the Liberty ticket staff. I assume they'll be happy for any fan to come.

I wonder if this is when we will finally get a Draft Lottery !

PostPosted: 11/30/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty sent out invitations to an online Ugly Sweater Party but I didn't see the point. If I don't get food or free stuff, I'm not interested. Wink

Recently, they also had a session with "Alternate Governor" Oliver Weisberg. That would've been the time to announce the draft lottery date. Instead, Ollie said he couldn't comment on anything that the league was planning because it was still preliminary. That included a direct fan question about playing at Barclays Center with limited attendance for social distancing. All we got was Weisberg's personal history and his opinions about how the Nets-Liberty have an organization full of wonderful caring people. Nice that the team is trying to maintain contact with fans, but I can't honestly say these last couple of events are exciting me.

After emailing them, I did finally get my free T-shirt and Jocelyn Willoughby autograph from early September. No explanation for why it took so long, but I do like the T-shirt.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was given the wrong time and have made a correction above. The event is Fri. Dec. 18th from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.

Perhaps they are planning to send everyone who attends an Ugly Sweater. Smile

PostPosted: 11/30/20 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A clever way for management to tell guys like me to STFU. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/02/20 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can you imagine Johannes and Ionescu on the court at the same time?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y_xYGy-FGcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/02/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y_xYGy-FGcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for this great video. Given those long, beautiful one-handed passes that Johannes makes, it may be time for a change of careers. The NFL is really short on good quarterbacks these days. Smile

PostPosted: 12/02/20 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season In Review: New York Liberty
November 19, 2020
WNBA.com

Overview:
Despite finishing the season with a 2-20 record, the New York Liberty have a young core that showcased grit, hustle, and a fighting spirit. The team’s seven rookies each developed their craft in Bradenton, FL. Among the top 15 rookies in scoring, the Liberty ranked 4th (Jazmine Jones, 10.Cool, 9th (Jocelyn Willoughby, 5.Cool and 15th (Kylee Shook, 4.1).

Thanks to the experienced frontcourt of Amanda Zahui B and Kiah Stokes the Liberty hauled in 35.8 RPG and 4.3 BPG — both ranked second-best in the league. When it came to scoring, New York took full advantage of the charity stripe knocking down a 82.3% of their chances, third-best in the league. While the Liberty may not have finished the season with the record they hoped, the team did exemplify the New York attitude they pride themselves on.

https://www.wnba.com/news/season-in-review-new-york-liberty-2/

Michelle89

PostPosted: 12/04/20 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Watch her game from yesterday Shocked she went off for 38 points at a 64% clip. Almost won the game for them in the end

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/04/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure, why not?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-18vKXSemiM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 12/04/20 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Sure, why not?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-18vKXSemiM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SO great. Thanks for posting this!!! Can't wait to see Johannes in person, hopefully (somehow) in Brooklyn this summer.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 5 of 69

Jump to: