RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What other schools/leagues use FloSports?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/20 8:29 pm    ::: What other schools/leagues use FloSports? Reply Reply with quote

So the Big East pulled the rug out from under me one day before league play starts announcing they made a broadcast deal with Flosports. Previously all Big East games that weren't televised were broadcast online for free.

I'm not thrilled with the super late notice and can't justify a yearly fee of $150 for this subscription so I guess I won't get to see Marquette play this year since fans aren't allowed at games either.

What other schools/leagues use Flosports for broadcasts though out of curiousity?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/03/20 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes! That’s steep. A few years ago they were doing some good NCAA softball coverage at select tournaments, and I signed up for a month’s worth. It looks a lot more expensive now.

I signed up for BTN+ for all schools a week ago, which runs $14.99/mo. I figured I have more time at home to watch this year and can go month to month if the season goes kaput. In years past, I’ve paid for a school-specific one at $9.99/mo. I usually start in September and stop after the B1G softball season is over, but this year there were no B1G women’s fall sports.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 12/03/20 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year, we subscribed for one month because our team was playing at Northeastern. It was $15.99 for the month. This year, it was $30 for the one month - we needed it to watch the bad boy mowers classic last weekend. The coverage was crap. The announcers thought Sioux Falls was in North Dakota, And they kept saying the wrong players names, when they announced what was going on at all.. The screen kept freezing, and at times we couldn’t get the picture at all.

Last edited by Hoopsmom on 12/04/20 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/03/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My big issues with this are:

-This was announced one frickin day before league games start. That doesn’t give much time at all to think about what one wants to do for a subscription. Up until this morning, I thought the Big East Digital network was going to be free online broadcasts still.
-There are only 4 league games announced so far. I have no idea how many league games they will have or when they are planning on announcing more games. So I don’t really know what I’d be paying for right now.
-Not to mention with how uncertain things are with Covid, will they play a full season?

This quote from Val Ackerman in the Big East release annoyed me too:

"The BIG EAST Digital Network has provided unparalleled digital coverage of our women's basketball programs over the last six years, and our agreement with FloSports will offer even wider distribution of our games and significant additional promotion of our student-athletes and coaches."

The Big East Digital Network has shown all Big East Women's Basketball games for free since the 2015-16 season. And like hell this will be wider distribution - not a lot of people are going to pay these steep prices for the subscription. But they don't care because they don't care about Women's Basketball in general and certainly don't care about the diehard Woimen's Bball fans.

I'm so upset as I just can't justify the cost of this but I will so miss being able to follow Marquette Women's Basketball this season - it was already tough enough I couldn't go to games this year. I've been following this team closely for over 25 years now. I kind of feel like it's time for me to get more into the Marquette Men's Basketball team - at least I can watch all their games for no charge.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/04/20 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also wonder whether this will mean there are no games on fox sports or CBS sports.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/04/20 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I also wonder whether this will mean there are no games on fox sports or CBS sports.

The Big East will have a whole 2 games on CBS Sports network (will probably both involve UCONN). And it sounds like there won't be anything else Sad. So I really am out of luck to see Marquette play unless I want to spend $30 a month and I just can't justify the cost especially as it sounds like their streaming isn't real reliable. But there will be more games for UCONN of course which I understand - there's the most fan interest there - from the BE release yesterday:

Additionally, CBS Sports Network airs two regular-season BIG EAST contests annually, while a recently announced agreement with SNY provides additional game coverage for UConn women’s basketball.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/04/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CAA did this to us unilaterally last year. I refused to go along with it because we had season tickets and at least I could listen to the games on the radio network, but this year I caved since we can't go to any games. I hate it.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

unfortunately sometimes the radio broadcasts are the best thing going. Even some of the 'smaller' schools have good radio guys/gals.

- Amanda Gorman
elsie

PostPosted: 12/05/20 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't pull the trigger for the Flohoops for the South Dakota tournament....as it turns out, the broadcast was crap...the Zag announcer basically had to stay home and give his broadcast while watching the game on flohoops...in the past, I think I went with the $150 price and then cancelled after watching the games I wanted but I wasn't assured I could do that this time.

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/05/20 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

The Big East will have a whole 2 games on CBS Sports network (will probably both involve UCONN). And it sounds like there won't be anything else Sad. So I really am out of luck to see Marquette play unless I want to spend $30 a month and I just can't justify the cost especially as it sounds like their streaming isn't real reliable. But there will be more games for UCONN of course which I understand - there's the most fan interest there - from the BE release yesterday:

Additionally, CBS Sports Network airs two regular-season BIG EAST contests annually, while a recently announced agreement with SNY provides additional game coverage for UConn women’s basketball.

That really sucks. You can catch the Marquette/Belmont game for 6 bucks on ESPN+. They may show other Marquette games next year so $6/month aint bad. Followers of Big12 score big time on ESPN+.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/05/20 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
unfortunately sometimes the radio broadcasts are the best thing going. Even some of the 'smaller' schools have good radio guys/gals.

I have tried this but unfortunately I don't find a lot of online radio broadcasts available. And Marquette probably hasn't had their games on the radio in over 10 years themselves. And even when they did have them on the radio it was pretty much just the home games and the close by road games that were on.

taropatch wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

That really sucks. You can catch the Marquette/Belmont game for 6 bucks on ESPN+. They may show other Marquette games next year so $6/month aint bad. Followers of Big12 score big time on ESPN+.

I pay for a yearly ESPN+ subscription basically because of all the Women's Basketball games you can get so I can at least watch the Belmont game Smile. I had paid a $3 fee to watch the North Dakota game and then the broadcast had technical difficulties - finally started working in the 2nd quarter. $3 was worth the risk to me though even if it hadn't ended up working.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/17/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only made it two games without being able to see MU play before going totally nuts Smile. I had a 20% off coupon and decided to buy the Flohoops subscription tonight.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/17/20 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool

I hope they have a great season for you!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/18/20 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Cool

I hope they have a great season for you!

Thanks. Ironically a big motivator for me purchasing this subscription was to watch Saturday's Marquette game and now that game was canceled of course. I guess I need to go watch some Marquette game archives and some other Big East games tomorrow to try to get my money's worth Smile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: