RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guess which team wins the 2021 Draft Lottery!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which team wins the #1 Pick?
The New York Liberty
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
The Atlanta Dream
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
The Dallas Wings
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
The Indiana Fever
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:22 pm    ::: Guess which team wins the 2021 Draft Lottery! Reply Reply with quote

It's official! As we heard through the grapevine yesterday, the Draft Lottery is now confirmed to be taking place this Friday, Dec. 4 on ESPN at halftime of the Louisville-DePaul game. The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 ET, so halftime should commence no earlier than 7:10 ET.

New York has the best odds with a 44.2% chance of winning it.
Next is Atlanta at 27.6%.
Third is Dallas at 17.8%.
Finally, Indiana is least likely to win it with a 10.4% chance.

Who wins? And what do you think the Draft (Lottery) order will end up being? Conversely, who do you want it/not want it to be? (And why, if it isn't particularly obvious)

Last edited by Stormeo on 12/01/20 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted Atlanta because I am an impossible homer

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana deserves it the most.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NEW YORK LIBERTY

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/01/20 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WFFL !

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Charli Collier's still the leading candidate to be the #1 Pick like I think she is, I think New York and Dallas need her the most, in that order...

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

I voted Indy just to be contrary. I mean someday the 4th team should win...

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I voted Indy just to be contrary. I mean someday the 4th team should win...

LA had the worst odds for the 2012 Draft but still won the #1. Same thing with Phoenix for the 2007 Draft (apparently). So it wasn't too long ago that that scenario happened, but maybe we're due for that happening again. Who knows!

If Indiana did win the #1, then good for them; but imo it would be an unfortunate year for them to win the #1 sans an available superstar or someone their roster really needs worth taking at #1. I'm sure Fever fans still wouldn't object to that fate...

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Collier does turn out to be the #1 pick, I think she could really help Indiana. To me, that is an area where they really need help. TMcC can only play around 20 minutes and sometimes struggles against the more mobile opponent posts. Beyond that they don't have a true 'big' post. The rest of the posts are mostly 'ok' but are only fair to middling IMO.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 12/01/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for NY because I'm an impossible pessimist. Beside, the last time a team got a new owner they got 3 No. 1 in row. Liberty ought to get at least 2 for getting rid of HLJ. (Dream - pay attention....)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/01/20 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After missing out on franchise-changing players Wilson and Ionescu, I assume the Fever will win it this year when it won't really matter.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/02/20 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
After missing out on franchise-changing players Wilson and Ionescu, I assume the Fever will win it this year when it won't really matter.

If Howard declares , that could change how things look for this draft. Indiana drafting Rhyne Howard would be there best scenario . Start her at SF and go from there with Kelsey Mitchell , TMC , NA. Wheeler at PG or Allemand that could make a good team in a few years.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Draft Lottery Simulator

https://acrossthetimeline.com/wnba/draft-lottery.html

Ran this 10 times. New York got #1 five times, Atlanta three, Dallas and Indiana once each.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If Howard declares , that could change how things look for this draft.

Okay, so as I understand it, even if Rhyne Howard were to leave college early – via dropping out or graduating with her degree – she still wouldn't be eligible for the 2021 Draft because of her 22nd birthday being in 2022. So she could opt to play overseas next school year but still wouldn't be eligible to be drafted until the 2022 Draft.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It'd be nice to get this subject straightened out and cleared up once & for all. Razz

pilight

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
If Howard declares , that could change how things look for this draft.

Okay, so as I understand it, even if Rhyne Howard were to leave college early – via dropping out or graduating with her degree – she still wouldn't be eligible for the 2021 Draft because of her 22nd birthday being in 2022. So she could opt to play overseas next school year but still wouldn't be eligible to be drafted until the 2022 Draft.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It'd be nice to get this subject straightened out and cleared up once & for all. Razz

Let's answer the easy question first. When was Rhyne Howard born?

FIBA and Wikipedia both say 29 April 2000. Her mother wished her a happy 20th birthday on Twitter on April 29th of this year. Seems like a pretty solid date to me.

The more complicated question: What are the eligibility requirements for the WNBA draft? Let's look at the CBA. Player eligibility is covered under Article XIII(1). The part in question is subsection (b):

Quote:
(b) A player is eligible to be selected in the WNBA Draft if she: (i) will be at least twenty-two (22) years old during the calendar year in which such Draft is held and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft; (ii) has graduated from a four-year college or university prior to such Draft, or “is to graduate” from such college or university within the three (3)-month period following such Draft and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft or (iii) attended a four year college or university, her original class in such college or university has already been graduated or “is to graduate” within the three (3)-month period following such Draft, and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft. For purposes of subsection (b)(ii) above, “is to graduate” shall mean that such player would graduate from the college or university she is currently enrolled in if she were to successfully complete the coursework she is enrolled in at the time of such Draft and such course load is commensurate with the previous course loads she has successfully completed. For purposes of subsection (b)(iii) above, “is to graduate” shall mean that the majority of the students in such class would graduate from such college or university upon successful completion of the coursework the members of such class are enrolled in at the time of such Draft.

Clearly subsection (i) does not apply to Howard, as she will not be 22 years old during the calendar year in which the 2021 draft is held. Subsection (iii) also doesn't apply to her.

Subsection (ii) could apply. If Howard graduates or is on track to graduate within three months of the draft, she could declare. This section has been used by players under the age of 22 to participate in the draft before. Quanitra Hollingsworth, for example, graduated from VCU at age 20, was drafted, and played in the league. That was under the 2008 CBA, but the eligibility clause was identical to the current one.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, pilight!! So basically it boils down to this: if she drops out of school, then she'll be ineligible for the 2021 Draft, period; But if she graduates or at least is on track to graduate by July or earlier (assuming the Draft is held in April like normal), then she will be eligible for it. In other words, we still don't know, and unless we get word of the progress she's making towards her degree at some point, we won't know for sure until the usual Draft-entry deadlines. No shortage of suspense for this coming season! Laughing

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/04/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Today's the day! My out-of-left-field prediction is 1. Dallas 2. New York 3. Atlanta 4. Indiana. It's surprising that Dallas being a Western Conference team still hasn't won the #1 Pick, despite plenty of chances. Could this actually be their year?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/04/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like it to go by the numbers NY, Atl, Dallas, Indy

but my psychic powers are saying Atl, NY, Dallas, Indy

if that happens I hope the earlies come out, Howard graduates early and we get something like this for the draft

1. Atl Howard
2. NY Collier
3. Dallas Davis
4. Indy Westbrook, Austin or Onyenwere

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/04/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Magic Ball Says

Dallas
Indiana
NY
ATL

Don’t ask what that magic ball consists of now Laughing

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DRAFT LOTTERY RESULTS:

1. New York
2. Dallas
3. Atlanta
4. Indiana

New York wins the #1 Pick again!

linkster

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I worked in the gaming industry for 35 years. If a drawing CAN be fixed it WILL be fixed.
You can be pretty certain that any drawing that is held behind close doors has been fixed.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/04/20 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I worked in the gaming industry for 35 years. If a drawing CAN be fixed it WILL be fixed.
You can be pretty certain that any drawing that is held behind close doors has been fixed.

The risk/reward of fixing this is way too far towards the 'risk' end. There's very little benefit compared to the disastrous PR if it got out.

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

The teams get to witness the draw

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time consecutive #1 picks have gone to the Eastern Conference since 2009 & 2010

PostPosted: 12/04/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:

The teams get to witness the draw

Explain why it isn't done out in the open where the public can see it?

It's a dramatic event that needs to be done live, with the team presidents on camera. And heaven knows that the W needs publicity. It's conspicuous by the fact that there is no other example, unless you say the nominating process of our two political parties.

They flip the coin at the Super Bowl out on the field. It's a dramatic moment that has it's own segment on TV. That's visible evidence of it being fair. The only reason to do it in private is if you have something to hide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: