RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Virginia Wesleyan player dismissed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/23/20 7:02 pm    ::: Virginia Wesleyan player dismissed Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Senior forward Makenna McSweeney, in graduate school for business administration, disputed that and said she has been dismissed from the school in the wake of hosting a Thanksgiving team-only gathering of 13 people.

An altercation between a neighbor and player occurred near the end of the two-hour event, and McSweeney said the neighbor’s subsequent call to the school led to the punishment.

http://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/vp-sp-virginia-wesleyan-basketball-suspended-20201119-ldb25ilupvawtdvxg2aar2yjlm-story.html

PostPosted: 11/24/20 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we're all communist now, turning our neighbors in.....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/24/20 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/virginia-wesleyan-player-expelled-13-others-banned-from-campus-housing-after-off-campus-gathering/

The fight involving a call to the police seems to have prompted the subsequent developments. And a grad student complaining to be unaware of COVID-related rules doesn't get much sympathy from me either.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/24/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/virginia-wesleyan-player-expelled-13-others-banned-from-campus-housing-after-off-campus-gathering/

The fight involving a call to the police seems to have prompted the subsequent developments. And a grad student complaining to be unaware of COVID-related rules doesn't get much sympathy from me either.
If they were all on the same team and no outsiders were present, I don't see what the problem was. They practice together so whats the difference. Probably was doen for public image purposes only.

PostPosted: 11/24/20 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just as an aside, Virginia Wesleyan is the school where the dean of the global campus (I guess that's the online learning part) resigned after an inflammatory Facebook post condemning Biden voters as "ignorant, anti-American and anti-Christian" got picked up and put on blast on Twitter by the president. Other Facebook posts by him were found to be in the same vein. Nice guy. Maybe nice place too. I dunno.

PostPosted: 11/24/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

If they were all on the same team and no outsiders were present, I don't see what the problem was. They practice together so whats the difference. Probably was doen for public image purposes only.

I see 2 problems. One player got into a fight with a neighbor, prompting a response by the police, charges being pressed against both of them, and a restraining order obtained by the neighbor. This could have a much greater impact on that player than the loss of on-campus housing for a semester.

The second problem is the host/grad student claiming she knows nothing about the school's COVID policy. If the school had a clearly stated policy for team gatherings including penalties, then the team has to abide by it. Period. Ignorance of the rules during a pandemic is stupid.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/24/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

College students on a basketball team should just simply know better. Period. That said, the punishment of the hostess was particularly harsh, imo.

PostPosted: 11/24/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Life is About Choices
Actions Have Consequences

Two LIFE SKILLS this athlete should have learned by now as a Graduate Student!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: