RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Power 5 International Demographics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/05/20 9:32 pm    ::: Power 5 International Demographics Reply Reply with quote

The Power 5's 65 teams feature 153 international players on their rosters, which makes up 17.4% of those teams' 879 total players. Australia and Canada's are far ahead of the pack, with 32 and 26 players, respectively. Up next are Spain with 11, France with 10, Brazil with 7, and Greece with 5. Latvia, The Netherlands, Poland and Senegal all have 4 representatives, while Croatia, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, Nigeria, Serbia, and Turkey all have 3. Czechia, England, Finland, Israel, and Mali all have 2 nationals on DI rosters, while a single player represents The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Japan, Paraguay, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Rwanda and Slovakia.

The Pac-12 leads all conferences with 51 international players - 31.1% of its 164 players - including 13 from Australia and 10 from Canada. It also features the only DI players from Estonia, New Zealand (2 of whom are sisters), Paraguay, Portugal, Rwanda, and Turkey. Utah and Washington State lead the league - and the country - with 9 International players each, while Arizona's 7 is also more than any in any other conference. UCLA's got another 5, and every team in the league besides USC - its only completely domestically recruited roster - has at least 2.

The ACC is next with 42 foreigners - 20.9% of its 201 total players - including 6 each from Australia, Canada and France and features the country's only players from Finland and Japan. Pitt leads the way with 6, while Miami and Syracuse both have 5 each. Duke and Georgia Tech both have 4, while Boston College and Notre Dame's rosters are both fully comprised of domestic recruits. The Brazilian duo of Florida State's Izabela Nicoletti - who missed '19 and '20 with injuries - and Syracuse's Kamilla Cardoso were both Top 10 recruits in their classes.

The Big Ten's 25 internationals - 13.3% of its 188 players - include 5 Canadians and 4 Australians, and the P5's only players from Hungary, Russia, and Slovakia. Purdue leads with 4 foreign recruits, Indiana has 3, while Iowa and Michigan State's rosters are All-American.

The SEC has 22 internationals - 11.3% of its 195 players - including 6 Aussies and the P5's only players from the Bahamas and Romania. Florida leads the pack with 4; while LSU and Missouri both have 3. Arkansas, Georgia and Kentucky are all totally domestic. Last up is the Big 12, with 14 foreigners - 10.7% of its 131 players - including the P5's only Dominican player. Kansas and Oklahoma State lead with 4, while none of Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas feature a non-American player.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/23/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the Doug Feinberg’s zoom discussion with Kim Barnes Arico, Cori Close, Dawn Staley and Jeff Walz the other day on the AP Twitter account. Close said she’s down to 7 available players (this was Friday night), and part of the problem was fighting with the federal government to get her foreign players in because they have no in-person classes at her school.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/24/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I watched the Doug Feinberg’s zoom discussion with Kim Barnes Arico, Cori Close, Dawn Staley and Jeff Walz the other day on the AP Twitter account. Close said she’s down to 7 available players (this was Friday night), and part of the problem was fighting with the federal government to get her foreign players in because they have no in-person classes at her school.

That twist didn't even occur to me....yikes! Shocked

PostPosted: 11/25/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Michigan is missing Izabel Varejao since Brazil is on one of the prohibited travel countries. Apparently student visas don’t trump Trump. Rolling Eyes

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/06/20 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

The incoming freshmen UCLA players lost their first legal battle to be allowed into the U.S..

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysis/2020/ucla-basketball-bruins-immigration-1234617687/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: