RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

South Carolina 2020-2021

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 3:21 pm    ::: South Carolina 2020-2021 Reply Reply with quote

Looks like we're going to start the 20-21 season with the expected final game of the 19-20 season:

Quote:
Chris Wellbaum
@ChrisWellbaum

Dawn Staley announced on WIS Today that South Carolina and Oregon are finalizing an agreement to open next season against each other in Eugene.


Expected starting 5 for the Gamecocks will be:

G: Henderson
G: Cooke
G: Beal
F: Saxton
C: Boston

Reserves:

G: Littleton
G: Russell
G: Thompson
G/F: Grissett
F/C: Amihere


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mentioned several times last season how the scheduling kinda set up nicely for us - home vs CT, neutral vs Baylor, and home vs most of the toughest SEC opponents.

We'll most likely be @CT as well as obviously being @Oregon for 20-21. Don't know if MD comes to Columbia, SC or not. Duke would be an away game at Durham as well. The Clemson game would be home, but that's not an issue either way these days.

The Baylor game was part of the SEC-Big 12 Challenge - would we play Baylor again, this time in WACO, or would the match-ups shuffle?? Maybe a USC-Texas Dawn vs Vic match-up again??

Who knows at this stage of the off-season...


Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 321



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Coyote ladies are sure looking forward to the USC game in Vermillion South Dakota this year!


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't expect that final.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Gamecock1



Joined: 02 Dec 2018
Posts: 16



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I didn't expect that final.
I think almost everyone expected that final...but it doesn't mean it was going to happen. It would have been shocking if those two didn't meet in the finals.....but stranger things have happened. Baylor couldn't beat Iowa St...with Cox in the line up...UCONN lost to all three of those....so I have no clue what you were "expecting"....please elaborate....


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I didn't expect that final.
I think almost everyone expected that final...but it doesn't mean it was going to happen. It would have been shocking if those two didn't meet in the finals.....but stranger things have happened. Baylor couldn't beat Iowa St...with Cox in the line up...UCONN lost to all three of those....so I have no clue what you were "expecting"....please elaborate....


I considered a Cocks/LadyBears final just as possible as the one you expected. Of course, seeding may have made it a semi.

I personally didn't put too much stock in the 1-pt Baylor loss at ISU.

That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most of the folks at RebKell expected it, as the polls on the Game Discussion Forum indicate......


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.


Laughing You mean, the Oregon team that beat Mississippi State TWICE, in one season? Razz



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/20 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.


Laughing You mean, the Oregon team that beat Mississippi State TWICE, in one season? Razz


Being ranked 39th in scoring defense isn't stellar, in MY book, and when an opponent scores more points -88- in the semis on you, than it averages, well.... Wink



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.


Last edited by cthskzfn on 05/06/20 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Gamecock1



Joined: 02 Dec 2018
Posts: 16



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/06/20 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
I didn't expect that final.
I think almost everyone expected that final...but it doesn't mean it was going to happen. It would have been shocking if those two didn't meet in the finals.....but stranger things have happened. Baylor couldn't beat Iowa St...with Cox in the line up...UCONN lost to all three of those....so I have no clue what you were "expecting"....please elaborate....


I considered a Cocks/LadyBears final just as possible as the one you expected. Of course, seeding may have made it a semi.

I personally didn't put too much stock in the 1-pt Baylor loss at ISU.

That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.
Point taken....


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/06/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.


Laughing You mean, the Oregon team that beat Mississippi State TWICE, in one season? Razz


Being ranked 39th in scoring defense isn't stellar, in MY book, and when an opponent scores more points -88- in the semis on you, than it averages, well.... Wink


Yer such a silly goose! You always resort to obfuscational factoids to bolster your biases.

cthskzfn wrote:
That Oregon team was never great vs stellar defensive teams, of which Baylor was one.


No doubt, Baylor was/is good at that. But they were certainly not as strong defensively as they were in last year's semi's when they beat Oregon by 5 (thank you Kalani Brown). Their defensive scoring *percentages* don't mean all THAT much, given Baylor plays in a much weaker conference than Oregon or MS-St. But ya....they're good.

With that prowess AND their offensive prowess, Baylor shoulda thumped Oregon....but didn't. We can parse coulda/shouldas all day long, but I am uber-confident that Oregon's superior offense would have prevailed this year, had they met.

And the BEST part is....YOU KNOW IT, TOO! Wink Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/25/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Dawn Staley hasn't let the quarantine in place orders around the nation hold her back, as she and her staff have been active on the recruiting trails.

Staley has hinted at 4 commits coming within the month of May, but no names had been offered, and no prospects made any announcements. The questions as to who they may be run the gamut of possibly transfers, commits from the 2022 class, or all 4 being of the 2021 cycle.

The first "birdie" has now gone public - 5* 6-0 G Aubryanna "Bree" Hall out of Dayton, OH. has announced her commitment today to South Carolina. Hall is the #10 G and #26 overall prospect on ESPN's Hoopgurlz' rankings for 2021.

Will the others now make their moves, and announce as well??


Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 684



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/30/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Coach Dawn Staley hasn't let the quarantine in place orders around the nation hold her back, as she and her staff have been active on the recruiting trails.

Staley has hinted at 4 commits coming within the month of May, but no names had been offered, and no prospects made any announcements. The questions as to who they may be run the gamut of possibly transfers, commits from the 2022 class, or all 4 being of the 2021 cycle.

The first "birdie" has now gone public - 5* 6-0 G Aubryanna "Bree" Hall out of Dayton, OH. has announced her commitment today to South Carolina. Hall is the #10 G and #26 overall prospect on ESPN's Hoopgurlz' rankings for 2021.

Will the others now make their moves, and announce as well??


The second "birdie" Saniya Rivers went public today even though that cat was out of the bag a couple of weeks ago. It's funny to see Tenn fans on Vol Nation going in sour grape mode and UConn fans on the the Boneyard going stir crazy because Azzi Fudd hasn't committed to UConn and other recruits that they don't "want" are committing elsewhere.


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/20 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fourth and final "birdie" has made her college destination official today with 5* and ESPN overall #13 PG Raven Johnson out of Atlanta, GA committed to South Carolina. All 4 projected names for each of the tweeted "birdies" by head coach Dawn Staley have been borne true, with the Gamecocks now having a 2021 class of 5* Saniya Rivers, 5* Sania Feagin, 5* Bree Hall, and 5* Johnson.

Not sure if this class will warrant the overall #1 ranking that the 2019 class did, but it's sure to be a top 10, and a strong contender to be a top 5 class...


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/25/20 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
The Coyote ladies are sure looking forward to the USC game in Vermillion South Dakota this year!


That will certainly be a major battle to look forward to. The 'Yotes gave the Gamecocks everything they could deal with. How does the team look in terms of returning players?


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/05/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina releases their 2020-2021 non-conference schedule:


2020-21 Gamecock Non-Conference Schedule

Wed., Nov 25 vs. College of Charleston at Colonial Life Arena
Nov. 28-30 Thanksgiving Tournament
Thu., Dec. 3 vs. NC State at Colonial Life Arena
Sun., Dec. 6 at Iowa State
Thu., Dec. 17 vs. Temple at Colonial Life Arena
Mon., Feb. 8 at UConn


COLUMBIA, S.C. – South Carolina women's basketball head coach Dawn Staley announced her team's eight-game 2020-21 non-conference schedule. The Gamecocks will host three non-conference home games in addition to the eight SEC games slated to be at Colonial Life Arena this season.

"Scheduling was more challenging this season, and we appreciate everyone's patience as we worked through how to put our program in the best position to be prepared to fight for SEC and national championships again this season," Staley said. "We are excited about the schedule we have put together and look forward to getting into the routine of basketball season in a few weeks."

Colonial Life Arena will host three non-conference games this season beginning on Wed., Nov. 25, when College of Charleston visits to open the 2020-21 season. The Gamecocks and NC State will open a home-and-home agreement on Thu., Dec. 3, when the Wolfpack makes its first visit to the 2010-11 season. The last non-conference matchup in Columbia will come on Thu., Dec. 17, against Temple.

In between those home games, South Carolina will travel to a three-game tournament Thanksgiving weekend that will be announced soon, and the Gamecocks are back in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge this season, traveling to Iowa State for a game on Sun., Dec. 6. As is their now annual tradition, South Carolina and UConn will step out of conference play in February for a premier matchup to be played in Storrs this season on Mon., Feb. 8.

South Carolina was approved to welcome fans to Colonial Life Arena for home games this season, which will have an approximate seating capacity of 3,500 to allow for social distancing between ticket pods of two, four or six seats. Facial coverings will be required for staff and fans at all times in all areas of the arena, and patrons will be required to follow the SEC and University fan safety guidelines.


https://gamecocksonline.com/news/2020/11/5/womens-basketball-gamecocks-release-womens-hoops-non-conference-schedule.aspx


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13114
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/05/20 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang. Does this mean the SC/OR opening game that was previously touted is not gonna happen? Double Dang. Mad



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 321



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/06/20 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The information is finally public. South Carolina is playing in the bad boy mowers crossover classic in Sioux Falls South Dakota, against South Dakota, Oklahoma, and Gonzaga. This will be November 28, 29th, and 30th.

https://goyotes.com/news/2020/11/6/womens-basketball-coyotes-to-play-in-bad-boy-mowers-crossover-classic.aspx

https://www.keloland.com/sports/no-1-south-carolina-headlines-womens-bad-boy-mowers-crossover-classic-at-sanford-pentagon/amp/


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Dang. Does this mean the SC/OR opening game that was previously touted is not gonna happen? Double Dang. Mad



Yes, unfortunately. I too was wanting to see that game...... Sad


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 992
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
The information is finally public. South Carolina is playing in the bad boy mowers crossover classic in Sioux Falls South Dakota, against South Dakota, Oklahoma, and Gonzaga. This will be November 28, 29th, and 30th.

https://goyotes.com/news/2020/11/6/womens-basketball-coyotes-to-play-in-bad-boy-mowers-crossover-classic.aspx

https://www.keloland.com/sports/no-1-south-carolina-headlines-womens-bad-boy-mowers-crossover-classic-at-sanford-pentagon/amp/


YES - I was coming to post this. The Women's Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic - a unique tournament name. Glad to see the chance to play SD again.....


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26976



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/15/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be extremely reticent to take my team to South Dakota right now with covid exploding there.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2475
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/16/20 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would be extremely reticent to take my team to South Dakota right now with covid exploding there.


Yeah, I have a hard time seeing this event happening. If I were an opponent scheduled to play any of those teams in the days after this event, I would be making other arrangements as well.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5794
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/16/20 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I would be extremely reticent to take my team to South Dakota right now with covid exploding there.


Yeah, I have a hard time seeing this event happening. If I were an opponent scheduled to play any of those teams in the days after this event, I would be making other arrangements as well.


Yes - all games should be played in blue states - only one blue state is in the top ten most infectious states (Illinois) which is surrounded by red states, with exception of Wisconsin which is purple (and having a wicked run of COVID).



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 321



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/17/20 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although the tournament is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, the teams will be bubbled between their hotel and the Pentagon, across the street from the hotel. All food will be delivered, and the teams will be tested several times throughout the course of their stay. They are going to separate the players from the fans, so there will be no interaction. No hugs from parents, etc... i’m looking forward to a fun weekend watching some good basketball teams.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin