RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacob.mox

PostPosted: 11/11/20 10:37 pm    ::: 2021 Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award Reply Reply with quote

Hey all!
We at Her Hoop Stats are back with the second-annual Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award.
Today we released our preseason watch list of 25 players. Feel free to debate Smile

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 11/11/20 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will not debate on this issue, as my daughter is one of those on the list. But it’s an awesome, talented pool her to be included in!!

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/12/20 9:04 am    ::: Re: 2021 Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award Reply Reply with quote

jacob.mox wrote:
Hey all!
We at Her Hoop Stats are back with the second-annual Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award.
Today we released our preseason watch list of 25 players. Feel free to debate Smile

The paint is hardly dry on the Big East logo in Gampel and the American is already a mid-major.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/12/20 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe they didn't mention JMU's Kiki Jefferson. But then, she's only a sophomore.

PostPosted: 11/12/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She got a mention so I guess she wasn't completely overlooked but I would have included Summer Hemphill of Buffalo. Of course it all depends on how well she has healed but I believe she will have a big season.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/12/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im most surprised not to see MTSU's Anastacia Hayes' name here. I have her in my Top 10. Based on last year's performances, I'd have to think that the early favorite is Chelsey Perry. Actually based on what they have coming back I'm going to predict UT-Martin as the second best mid-major after Gonzaga, and that Perry will play herself into the first round of a post-weak draft.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/20 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched quite a bit of Perry last year. Very talented player.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/16/20 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
I will not debate on this issue, as my daughter is one of those on the list. But it’s an awesome, talented pool her to be included in!!

congrats. It is definitely an honor.

- Amanda Gorman
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/06/21 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/hammon-award-mid-major-watch-list-midseason-2021?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjo1ODUyODI1LCJwb3N0X2lkIjozMTA2NDI1OCwiXyI6ImsxZFR0IiwiaWF0IjoxNjA5OTU5NDE5LCJleHAiOjE2MDk5NjMwMTksImlzcyI6InB1Yi0yMTMwNyIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.9e2xzuNAzmZqiDxy3c8Jo02u1WxegH2TC1w22BYkAGk

The list has been updated for midseason, to include just 15 players.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/06/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting to see Nancy Mulkey added, after not being on the original list. But that certainly could happen, given an early season outburst of quality play.

(Also interesting to see her stat line compared to Hannah's, given they both play the 5 position: Nancy has 6" on Hannah, and plays in an arguably weaker conference!)

PostPosted: 01/07/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nancy needs to be a little stronger, she reminds me of a girl that Hannah played against in high school fall ball named Savannah Trapp. She was 6 foot nine, but not very strong under the basket. Savannah was at UCLA for two years, one as a red shirt, but she never played a game. (She then got pregnant and disappeared from the basketball world.). On a sidenote, I just googled Savannah to see if there were any updates on her, and it looks like she filed a police report this week because her baby daddy stole her son and disappeared.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/08/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely disagree with Nancy Mulkey. All I see in her is her height. She stands under the basket and bats the ball. Period. She's just not a strong player.

I hope Hannah gets it. But look out for Kiki Jefferson next year!

PostPosted: 02/06/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this award for seniors only? If not. MYAH SELLAND! That's it, that's the post. SDSU is baaaaack, ruler of the rock in SD

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/06/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to believe Ane Olaeta of Cal Baptist isnt on the list.

She is 2nd D1 in assists with 114.

Averages 11.8ppg and 4.6 rpg (she is only 5'4")

She plays on only one, of the final two undefeated teams in D1, the other is Bucknell.

She is a giant floor general and I am sure she will play in the top Pro-league in Spain next year.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/05/21 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The winner came from the Summit League last season..this year the Player of the Year award in the conference went to Myah Selland! She wasn't included on any of the Becky Hammon award watch lists this year, but could she sneak in now? A nationally ranked Jacks team.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/05/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
The winner came from the Summit League last season..this year the Player of the Year award in the conference went to Myah Selland! She wasn't included on any of the Becky Hammon award watch lists this year, but could she sneak in now? A nationally ranked Jacks team.

Definitely. She should be a finalist. Hopefully that late-season injury doesn't hurt her. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/31/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://t.co/qyxIlVtt7w

Congratulations to Kiersten Bell on winning the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year award for 2021.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/31/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
https://t.co/qyxIlVtt7w

Congratulations to Kiersten Bell on winning the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year award for 2021.

"Bell finished the season with 10.4 Win Shares, which ranks second in Division I. She is also one of two players in the top 10 of both offensive and defensive Win Shares."

Very impressive achievements! Congratulations to Kiersten Bell!

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/31/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love this award, but Kiersten Bell was a megastud coming out of high school and a big-time recruit, so it's almost like the honor is going to a Power 5 kid.

Again, Bell's a great player and wonderful to have this concept out there, but in a lot of ways, I'd rather see someone get it who wasn't a big-time recruit, who wasn't a star in club and high school, and who more epitomizes the mid-major experience.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: