RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Biden's Cabinet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/07/20 7:37 pm    ::: Biden's Cabinet Reply Reply with quote

OK, who should/will get what? Lots of names that I'm leaving off, so feel free to fill them in.

Bernie Sanders?
Elizabeth Warren?
Susan Rice?
Stacey Abrams?
Pete Buttigieg?

Maybe not cabinet level, but find something for them.
Lt. Colonel Alexander Vindeman?
Fiona Hill?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/07/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/07/joe-biden-cabinet-picks-possible-choices-433431

PostPosted: 11/07/20 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Add Doug Jones to your list. He's almost certain to find some place within the admin.

PostPosted: 11/07/20 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Add Doug Jones to your list. He's almost certain to find some place within the admin.

Biden is unlikely to take any Democratic senators. (I'd be asking a ton of GOP senators with Democratic governors..)

PostPosted: 11/07/20 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Biden is unlikely to take any Democratic senators. (I'd be asking a ton of GOP senators with Democratic governors..)

Good point!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 11/08/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Doug Jones lost his seat. Turns out a Democrat winning in Alabama isn't so much in the cards when your opponent is a former college football coach rather than a kiddie rapist.

In other words his defeat pretty much surprised no one, and is why it's pretty likely Biden's going to find some place for him...

PostPosted: 11/10/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep up, people.

Meg Whitman for Commerce. Cindy McCain on the transition team. Yeah. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Big thumbs up here.

THIS IS WHY WE VOTE! Laughing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pLU0NjrsfMg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 11/10/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My picks (mostly Dems, one Rep)

Defense: Tammy Duckworth
State: Tulsi Gabbard
Treasury: Sarah Raskin
Justice: Sally Yates
HHS: Mandy Cohen
Transportation: Beth Osborne
Commerce: Mellody Hobson
Energy: Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall
Interior: Deb Haaland
Agriculture: Marcia Fudge
Labor: Julie Su
HUD: Karen Bass
Education: Randi Weingarten
Veterans: Ann Dunwoody
Homeland Security: disbanded

PostPosted: 11/10/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

All women???

pilight

PostPosted: 11/10/20 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

All women???

Just so happens. I didn't set out to do that.

PostPosted: 11/10/20 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

A few thoughts, off the top of my head, about pilight's proposed selections and a few of my own thoughts...

-- I think Sally Yates is an excellent choice for DOJ.

-- I also think Sarah Bloom Raskin is a great choice for Secretary of Treasury (and not just because she is a Duke University ties, as she has been a professor there).

-- For Commerce, I would pick Andrew Yang.

-- For Agriculture, I would pick former Senator Heidi Heitkamp.

-- For Secretary of Labor, I considered Elizabeth Warren, but with a Republican governor in Massachusetts and four years left in her second term, the Democrats should not give up this Senate seat.

-- For Secretary of Veterans Affairs, I would consider Pete Buttigieg, but ultimately say no. The thing is, as I was explaining to a friend last night, I think Mayor Pete would be better as Governor Pete in Indiana, which has not had a Democratic governor since 2005. Turning a traditionally red state into a blue state at the state capitol would be incredibly significant (especially since Republicans will have 27 governors and Democrats will have 23 governors in 2021, a net gain for Republicans after the 2020 elections).

-- If Senator Tammy Duckworth is not Secretary of Defense, then she should be Secretary of Veterans Affairs or Homeland Security.

-- If Senator Duckworth is not the Secretary of Homeland Security, I would consider Representative Val Demings.

-- I would love to see Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms have a role in this administration, but, like Mayor Pete, I would rather see her run for GA Governor in 2022.

-- As an aside, since her name was mentioned in this thread, I cannot see Susan Rice being nominated, nor do I think she should be. We will still be in an incredibly polarized environment come January 2021 with a likely-Republican majority in the Senate. Rice will galvanize Republicans over Benghazi/Hillary Rodham Clinton, etc. all over again.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/10/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Rice is a terrible choice. She's all-in on interventionism and overseas nation building. The last thing we need to be doing is sending troops to every corner of the globe.

I live in GA and would much prefer Governor Bottoms to secretary of irrelevant department Bottoms. Of course she'd have to get outside the perimeter support to make that happen, traditionally a difficult proposition for Atlanta politicians.

PostPosted: 11/10/20 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing can top Trump’s cabinet as the worst ever.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://youtube.com/embed/dTAcwYAagm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/10/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly Warren is looking at Treasury but

wouldn't she be a good candidate for Education?

Howee

PostPosted: 11/10/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

State: Tulsi Gabbard ??? Shocked
Homeland Security: disbanded???

A few thoughts, off the top of my head, about pilight's proposed selections and a few of my own thoughts...

-- I also think Sarah Bloom Raskin is a great choice for Secretary of Treasury (and not just because she is a Duke University ties, as she has been a professor there).

-- For Secretary of Labor, I considered Elizabeth Warren, but with a Republican governor in Massachusetts and four years left in her second term, the Democrats should not give up this Senate seat.

-- For Secretary of Veterans Affairs, I would consider Pete Buttigieg, but ultimately say no. The thing is, as I was explaining to a friend last night, I think Mayor Pete would be better as Governor Pete in Indiana, which has not had a Democratic governor since 2005. Turning a traditionally red state into a blue state at the state capitol would be incredibly significant (especially since Republicans will have 27 governors and Democrats will have 23 governors in 2021, a net gain for Republicans after the 2020 elections).

-- If Senator Tammy Duckworth is not Secretary of Defense, then she should be Secretary of Veterans Affairs or Homeland Security.

-- If Senator Duckworth is not the Secretary of Homeland Security, I would consider Representative Val Demings.

-- I would love to see Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms have a role in this administration, but, like Mayor Pete, I would rather see her run for GA Governor in 2022.

-- As an aside, since her name was mentioned in this thread, I cannot see Susan Rice being nominated, nor do I think she should be. We will still be in an incredibly polarized environment come January 2021 with a likely-Republican majority in the Senate. Rice will galvanize Republicans over Benghazi/Hillary Rodham Clinton, etc. all over again.

Pilight....Tulsi?? Really? Laughing And what's up with Homeland security being "disbanded"??

Yang? Definitely. Heidi Heitkamp? Absolutely--perfect choice!! Much as I love Val Demmings, isn't she in the same category as Warren, with the prospect of her being replaced by a Republican in Florida? The House doesn't need another lost Dem.

Pete B? His star is justifiably rising, but I also like the idea of him governing IN, although he could do well on anybody's cabinet.

Now. The BIG question for me: Where will Stacey Abrams find a niche? And seriously....I think Hillary'd make a fabulous AG. Razz Cool

J-Spoon wrote:

ELIZABETH Warren?? Yikes, no! As pointed out by Cam, she can't leave the senate with a GOP governor to replace her at will....MOST unfortunate, as she's much brighter force than most Cabinet candidates. And Education isn't where she could do the most good, imo (Jill Biden there?? Razz). Elizabeth needs to spearhead economic reforms....futile as that effort may seem.

I also love the above-proposed idea of Joe tapping any number of GOP senators -- shows good will in bipartisanship AND could gain a couple of seats, eh? I'll gladly sacrifice Toomey from PA for that. Our Dem governor could easily replace him. Richard Burr (NC)? Steve Daines (MT)?

PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Pilight....Tulsi?? Really? Laughing And what's up with Homeland security being "disbanded"??

We need someone committed to keeping us out of these endless foreign wars. She's one of the few Democrats who is not completely owned by defense contractors.

Homeland Security should have never been a cabinet department. It's time to get rid of it.

PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Good point!!

This is why I don't think Sanders gets a cabinet post---Vermont is run by a Republican governor, so a Republican would be appointed in his place. The Democratic senators who likely get a cabinet post are ones from states with Democratic governors.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

We need someone committed to keeping us out of these endless foreign wars. She's one of the few Democrats who is not completely owned by defense contractors.

Homeland Security should have never been a cabinet department. It's time to get rid of it.

Disbanding DHS doesn't get rid of the departments within it.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

State: Tulsi Gabbard ??? Shocked
Homeland Security: disbanded???

Yang? Definitely. Heidi Heitkamp? Absolutely--perfect choice!! Much as I love Val Demmings, isn't she in the same category as Warren, with the prospect of her being replaced by a Republican in Florida? The House doesn't need another lost Dem.

Pete B? His star is justifiably rising, but I also like the idea of him governing IN, although he could do well on anybody's cabinet.

Now. The BIG question for me: Where will Stacey Abrams find a niche? And seriously....I think Hillary'd make a fabulous AG. Razz Cool

J-Spoon wrote:

ELIZABETH Warren?? Yikes, no! As pointed out by Cam, she can't leave the senate with a GOP governor to replace her at will....MOST unfortunate, as she's much brighter force than most Cabinet candidates. And Education isn't where she could do the most good, imo (Jill Biden there?? Razz). Elizabeth needs to spearhead economic reforms....futile as that effort may seem.

I also love the above-proposed idea of Joe tapping any number of GOP senators -- shows good will in bipartisanship AND could gain a couple of seats, eh? I'll gladly sacrifice Toomey from PA for that. Our Dem governor could easily replace him. Richard Burr (NC)? Steve Daines (MT)?

He is actually a pretty decent/centrist/moderate republican governor but I guess he would be pressured greatly to replace her with a republican.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/10/20 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

Disbanding DHS doesn't get rid of the departments within it.

If they're necessary they can go under the defense department. Defending the nation is their job, after all. If they're not necessary, disband them too.

PostPosted: 11/11/20 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

To me, the answer seems obvious -- Stacey Abrams should be the eventual head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

As for Clinton, it is time for the country to move beyond both Bill and Hillary. I do not think either represents the future of the Democratic Party or the country, and the combined baggage the two of them bring invigorates the right wing.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/11/20 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
As for Clinton, it is time for the country to move beyond both Bill and Hillary. I do not think either represents the future of the Democratic Party or the country, and the combined baggage the two of them bring invigorates the right wing.

I know, I know.....I was just thinking of how delicious it'd be to see Hillary in charge of various prosecutions aimed a Donald. Razz

PostPosted: 11/11/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Howee wrote:

To me, the answer seems obvious -- Stacey Abrams should be the eventual head of the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

Agree 100%!

The future of the Democratic party is people of color - especially women of color. Stacey Abrams (and her beautiful gap tooth smile!) has proven she is effective at mobilizing the Democratic base and get them to the polls. This is taking advantage of her super power and I don't see how fighting to get her a cabinet position would do that.

When the current crop of high school students comes of voting age (and die hard white supremacists die off), they will be ready to elect beautiful brown women to national office. This is particularly important for those born with magnificently dark brown skin such as Stacey Abrams. It is not an accident that the first two people in the white house are light skinned black people. In the next decade I hope to see a dark skinned person on a winning ticket. The person to get us there is Stacey Abrams and the Democratic Party. Getting the great majority who support the Democratic platform to the polls is key, as is the aforementioned teenagers to voting age.

Also important is the Dreamers who go to college and professional schools and serve as role models for all the kids who are first generation US citizens.

~rAf
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/11/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who Are Contenders for Biden’s Cabinet?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/us/politics/biden-cabinet.html

PostPosted: 11/11/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Who Are Contenders for Biden’s Cabinet?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/us/politics/biden-cabinet.html

He's got a star-studded draft field there. I really like the idea of an indigenous person (Deb Haaland) for Interior; high time for them to get a Voice in High Places.

I also thought of the Castro twins, especially Julian, who's already served on Obama's cabinet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: