RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How The ABL Lost The Fight...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/05/20 10:57 am    ::: How The ABL Lost The Fight... Reply Reply with quote

...For The Soul Of Women’s Basketball

https://defector.com/how-the-abl-lost-the-fight-for-the-soul-of-womens-basketball/

Quote:
Online, ABL fans nicknamed the competing league the wNBA; to them, the Association loomed large and the women were incidental.

PostPosted: 11/05/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I read, a good job -- but the main point about the ABL was this: The overall plan made no sense.

1) Player salaries and benefits were way out of line with income; and

2) Playing in the winter meant competing head-to-head with the NBA, college women's basketball (which was supposed to supply much of the fan base) and high school basketball. There was no way the ABL could find a home on TV battling with the NBA, college men's basketball and even college women's basketball for air time.

PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many people on here watched the ABL?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I did. It was comparable to the early W seasons. Their talk about superior talent is just so much bunk. For all the article talks about the raggedness of the first W game, it glosses over stuff like the Lasers having 33 turnovers in a playoff game (a number no WNBA playoff team has come close to).

PostPosted: 11/06/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I did. It was comparable to the early W seasons. Their talk about superior talent is just so much bunk. For all the article talks about the raggedness of the first W game, it glosses over stuff like the Lasers having 33 turnovers in a playoff game (a number no WNBA playoff team has come close to).

Did the ABL play 48 minute games?

pilight

PostPosted: 11/06/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Did the ABL play 48 minute games?

No. They played standard 40 minute games.

PostPosted: 11/06/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I went to several Seattle Reign games, had a lot of fun!

Was crushed when the league folded.

Then was so happy when we got the Storm! Very Happy

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 11/06/20 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched what little I could find. But I was active on their website. They had a chat room or message board if I remember correctly.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/07/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some reason I got a lot of replays of random games during the wee hours of the morning. I just pitched about 100 VHS recordings of ABL games. I was a huge Quest fan and managed to see quite a few of their games, which were way more accessible on cable than WCBB games. I remember being stunned at seeing players like Natalie Williams for the first time. The talent in that league was quite considerable if not superior.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 11/08/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had Quest season tickets and I will say without a doubt that they are the best team I have ever watched in any sport. It was magical. They were unselfish, lighten quick, and you could tell how much each member cared about each other and how much fun they were having...

They were incredible. At any time, you could have a 20-2 run, or the could completely lock every player down on defense. Incredible.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/08/20 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw pretty much all of the San Jose Lazers home games ... the basketball wasn't all that good, but neither was the WNBA at that time. Women's pro basketball has come a long way since then ...

PostPosted: 11/10/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
I had Quest season tickets and I will say without a doubt that they are the best team I have ever watched in any sport. It was magical. They were unselfish, lighten quick, and you could tell how much each member cared about each other and how much fun they were having...

They were incredible. At any time, you could have a 20-2 run, or the could completely lock every player down on defense. Incredible.

I attended a few Quest games as well. The style of play and the positioning by Agler was very unique at the time. And it was a lot of fun to watch.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/11/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
From what I read, a good job -- but the main point about the ABL was this: The overall plan made no sense.

1) Player salaries and benefits were way out of line with income; and

2) Playing in the winter meant competing head-to-head with the NBA, college women's basketball (which was supposed to supply much of the fan base) and high school basketball. There was no way the ABL could find a home on TV battling with the NBA, college men's basketball and even college women's basketball for air time.

Agree.

The article states, "It still holds its season when the boys aren’t using the gym and contends with the NBA’s neglect."

Yet the article fails to address that it is not just competing with the NBA by playing a traditional basketball schedule, but also with MCBB and WCBB, plus high school basketball.

If the goal is to attract a fan base that consists of younger (say, teenagers) girls and the parents, how can they attend games when the teenagers are playing games themselves during the same time period.

The article also states, "The WNBA asks its players to supplement their small incomes overseas and to risk injury in the year-round toil." The league’s minimum salary for inexperienced players in the new CBA will increase to $57,000, and for more experienced players, $68,000. The top players can earn $215,000. Once players are off their rookie contracts, the need to go overseas becomes less of a need and more of a want, under the new CBA.

The author is clearly an ABL fan - as was I. But I am also a realist, whereas the author's love for the league occasionally got in the way of providing an assessment of the ABL's the economic realities.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/11/20 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

>"The WNBA asks its players to supplement their small incomes overseas and to risk injury in the year-round toil." The league’s minimum salary for inexperienced players in the new CBA will increase to $57,000, and for more experienced players, $68,000. The top players can earn $215,000.

"Small incomes"? For four or five months' work? For a 23-year-old fresh out of college? With year-round health care?

PostPosted: 11/11/20 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
only once had ABL news cracked the ESPN ticker: when New England’s Clarissa Davis-Wrightsil punched Seattle’s Cindy Brown square in the head during a scrap for a rebound.

I soooooo remember this Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 11/11/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

I attended a few Quest games as well. The style of play and the positioning by Agler was very unique at the time. And it was a lot of fun to watch.

Their energy on defense was 2nd to none , maybe that 98' comets team.

PostPosted: 11/17/20 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember hearing that the NBA told the TV networks and ESPN that if any ABL games were shown by them, there'd be no more NBA contests on TV. Ever.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/18/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
I remember hearing that the NBA told the TV networks and ESPN that if any ABL games were shown by them, there'd be no more NBA contests on TV. Ever.

Could be true, but I don't the NBA needed to make that threat. The ABL didn't have the financial underpinning to survive, and on top of that, its ratings were going to be less than the NBA or any college game (men's or women's), so the networks were really not that interested anyway.

PostPosted: 11/19/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Seems like a bluff if they said it, since they get good money themselves from the broadcasts.

I think there are now 3 more sports networks than when the ABL was on - Fox, CBS and NBC each have one. ABL might have been able to get airtime on one of them, particularly CBS Sports Network which air plenty of minor sports stuff and I don’t think has ever shown any MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA games.

If I remember right, Liberty fan Rosie O’Donnell had a show on back in the ABL time period and only had WNBA players on it. Don’t think she even mentioned the ABL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: