Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/02/20 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stricklen also needs better conditioning

Very true. As a shooter off the bench, not as much, but better conditioning could only help her.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/20 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

#PostsThatNeedNoTimeStamp

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/02/20 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:

Very true. As a shooter off the bench, not as much, but better conditioning could only help her.

as a shooter off the bench, she needs to shoot better. This year she was abysmal in pretty much every aspect, but especially as a shooter.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They gave her a whole lot of guaranteed money, so I doubt Stricklen is going anywhere, but yeah - if she's not in better shape soon, she could be entirely out of the league once that deal is done.

PostPosted: 10/03/20 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stricklen is a terrible defender -- not quite KML bad, but still pretty bad. Everyone was asking how a poor defensive team like Atlanta ends up with two players on the All-Defensive 1st Team. Well, the answer is that the other defenders have to be twice as bad or in Stricklen's case, three times.

PostPosted: 10/03/20 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fat Stricklen being asked to play out of position half the time on a bad team is a terrible defender. Vaguely-in-shape Stricklen playing a consistent and defined role in Connecticut on a good team was pretty serviceable. She played a lot of minutes for a team that finished 4th, 5th and 4th in the league defensively the last three years. She could be a decent piece if she was in shape and on a team that had a coherent shape and used her properly.

PostPosted: 10/26/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another preview/review out today, this time on the Dream, with all the usual cap details etc.: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-c0c

PostPosted: 10/27/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Another preview/review out today, this time on the Dream, with all the usual cap details etc.: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-c0c

Quote:
Now that Chennedy “Hollywood” Carter has proven she can be a prolific scorer at the highest level, Dream fans should be very excited for the future. Her usage rate of 31.4% ranked first in the entire league, and she only had three games where she scored in single digits, including the game in which she got injured. A starting lineup of Carter and Courtney Williams, who averaged 14.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, in addition to Laney, if she returns, could give a lot of teams trouble.

Atlanta struggled on both sides of the court in 2020, ranking 10th in defensive rating and 11th in offensive rating. The team should have the personnel to improve the offense, but improving the defense could be tougher. Tiffany Hayes, a 2018 All-Defensive player, is presumed to return for the Dream and would help provide a huge boost on defense.

I will start by saying , I LOVE THESE ANALYSIS !! The interesting part here is assuming Hayes will #Gladly come off the bench next season.....

PostPosted: 10/27/20 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I will start by saying , I LOVE THESE ANALYSIS !! The interesting part here is assuming Hayes will #Gladly come off the bench next season.....

yep. juggling egos may be a difficult task. Without knowing too much about personalities involved other than 'takes' from afar, I'm thinking that maybe Laney, even with a presumably new bloated contract, may be the one off the bench. Too bad none of the four can remotely be considered a four or Collen might be tempted to start all four. But as we've seen with Vegas for instance, having some power coming off the bench, can be a great thing. It's a matter of getting the right personality to buy into it. There's 120 minutes to dish out, so IFthey all stay healthy and each of them gets 25-30, you would think that might keep the troops happy.

Still, they must find some improvement in the post area to truly become competitive.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/27/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The closest they could get to all 4 being on the court would be

Carter
Williams
Hayes
Laney
Williams ? Brown ?

That could be a junk line up Collen throws at teams and i think it would be successful on one end and a disaster against teams with STRONG PF's Ala Seattle , LA , Vegas , Conn , Wash ....

PostPosted: 10/27/20 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would try to sell Hayes on the bench role.

Hayes could probably back up all 3 perimeter spots Carter/Hayes/Laney, William/Hayes/Laney and Carter/Williams/Hayes all work (kind of), so there are probably 25-30 minutes available to her off the bench and you could try to sell Tiff on the idea that she would be the #1 option on the 2nd unit.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/27/20 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I would try to sell Hayes on the bench role.

Hayes could probably back up all 3 perimeter spots Carter/Hayes/Laney, William/Hayes/Laney and Carter/Williams/Hayes all work (kind of), so there are probably 25-30 minutes available to her off the bench and you could try to sell Tiff on the idea that she would be the #1 option on the 2nd unit.

Then you also diminish her trade value for a player like Laney ?

PostPosted: 10/28/20 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont see why Williams would be a starter over Hayes tbh. Their defense sucks. Putting in Hayes will improve that. Williams can be that firepower off the bench.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/02/20 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season In Review: Atlanta Dream
Tykera Carter (WNBA.com)
November 30, 2020

Overview

Individual play was highly recognized for the Atlanta Dream this past season. The Dream had three players receive All-WNBA honors (Betnijah Laney, Most Improved Player and All-Defensive First Team; Chennedy Carter, All-Rookie Team; Elizabeth Williams, All-Defensive First Team) and each showed glimpses of how good they can truly become. The Dream finished with a 7-15 record, but at one point, were in the running to clinch the final spot in the WNBA Playoffs. Taking into account that the Dream only had two returning players this season, it will be interesting to see how Nicki Collen’s team can gradually put the individual efforts into team success in 2021.

https://www.wnba.com/news/season-in-review-atlanta-dream-2/

Randy

PostPosted: 12/11/20 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senator Kelly is now backing the Texas lawsuit to throw out the Georgia election. I guess it has not yet occurred to her that if the Presidential election is a fraud so is hers. So I guess before long the Eyes of Texas will become our state song.

She also now has some more support for her Save Women's Sports bill.

https://www.aol.com/news/tulsi-gabbard-introduces-anti-transgender-033659603.html

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/15/20 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not often the owner of a professional sports team takes a photo with a man who is a neo-Nazi and former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, but that's exactly what Kelly Loeffler did.

The most important part of this story is not the photo itself, but what happens next. This can be a story of the WNBA, where Loeffler is part owner of the Atlanta Dream, finally kicking Loeffler out of the league. Or this can be a story of cowardice, and a story where a question needs to be asked:

How many times does Loeffler, who is anti-Black Lives Matter in a Black Lives Matter city and league, have to humiliate the WNBA before the league takes action against her?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2020/12/15/kelly-loeffler-atlanta-dream-co-owner-embarrassing-wnba/3899572001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/17/20 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
It's not often the owner of a professional sports team takes a photo with a man who is a neo-Nazi and former leader of the Ku Klux Klan, but that's exactly what Kelly Loeffler did.

The most important part of this story is not the photo itself, but what happens next. This can be a story of the WNBA, where Loeffler is part owner of the Atlanta Dream, finally kicking Loeffler out of the league. Or this can be a story of cowardice, and a story where a question needs to be asked:

How many times does Loeffler, who is anti-Black Lives Matter in a Black Lives Matter city and league, have to humiliate the WNBA before the league takes action against her?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2020/12/15/kelly-loeffler-atlanta-dream-co-owner-embarrassing-wnba/3899572001/

the problem is her money. As far as I know, there isn't another potential owner just chomping at the bit to own the Dream. So do you sacrifice a team to dump Loeffler? I'm not sure. I'm definitely torn about it. Ideally another potential owner pops up with money in hand, but what do we think the likelihood of that would be? I think it would be most likely that a new owner would move the team out of Atlanta, thus disenfranchising our friends in that city. Does the WNBA have in place a protocol for telling an owner they no longer own the team? And how do they compensate for such a move?

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/17/20 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know very little about the other half of Dream ownership- would having Loeffler sell to them be a viable option?

(now with spelling variations)
Randy

PostPosted: 12/17/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I know very little about the other half of Dream ownership- would having Loeffler sell to them be a viable option?

The other owner is Mary Brock another wealthy woman from Atlanta. She probably is wealthy enough to carry the team alone for a while, but I don't see why would she want to take 100% of the losses, when Loeffler is now on the hook for half. They have jointly owned the team for over ten years.

Loeffler has made a political point of not caving to the "cancel culture" so she would not want to look like she did so before the election is over. Once it's over - if she wins she can say she is too busy to go to games any more. The Dream have been reported to have provided financial info to potential buyer(s). Whether that leads anywhere, is anyone's guess.

I don't think the WNBA wants to put a team out of business, and I don't think they want to prop up a failed franchise, so it's anyone's guess what happens next. If anything.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/05/21 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WHhmReKMw_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 01/05/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's astounding. She's a part owner of a football team (albeit in a startup league I never heard of). Shocked

She is also, btw, doing Hawks home games pre, halftime and post game shows. She's like the analyst. Not sure how long her deal lasts with the Hawks, but she seems to be doing a good jobs. So good for her!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/06/21 2:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LeBron Wants To Start An Ownership Group To Buy The Atlanta Dream After Kelly Loeffler Lost Her Senate Race
After Rev. Raphael Warnock became projected to beast Kelly Loeffler for a U.S. Senate seat in Georgia, James chimed in.
Read in UPROXX: https://apple.news/ACCJ8KFNTQAOFlqVBmuFI_A

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/08/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per her IG, Jaylyn Agnew tore her ACL towards the end of 2020 and appears to have just gotten surgery for it. Presumably she will miss the 2021 season. Get well soon, Jaylyn!

Badger_Ball

PostPosted: 01/09/21 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the idea is gaining steam?!

I imagine it would lead to relocation.

https://lakersdaily.com/golden-state-warriors-board-member-pitches-buy-wnba-team-with-lebron-james/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

NYSports56

PostPosted: 01/09/21 3:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there another professional sports team owner in US sports history that was so universally hated by their players as Loeffler? Even if there is, she's most definitely up there with the worst of them.

At least the players can take solace that she's losing money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: