Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/23/20 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
So basically if PX re-signs DT at super max their four remaianing player have to average around 76ish K., so you are not looking at any big name free agents maybe they could get Peddy and Vaughn at just slightly over vet minimum 80-5K, pick 6 and either a 2nd round pick or waiver wire player with less than two years.

Will internal growth be enough to be a contender if everyone is healthy?

If SDS and DT keep doing what they did t the end of the year, Hartley comes back strong, and Griner can be integrated into what seem like a new system without her I think maybe it could work (Griner and Turner is some strong defense upfront and there is plenty of fire power on the perimeter, and Griner can still score 15-20 even with less focus on getting her the ball and Griner is also capable of running with an uptempo team as well as any center.

SDS/Pick 6 (McDonald, Evans, Westbrook, Slocum)
Hartley/Peddy
DT/Cunningham/Waiver wire (maybe one of NY's wings who gets the chop)
Turner/Smith
Griner/Vaughn

* or is trading Griner (if she is willing to play elsewhere) for multiple pieces or one really good rookie contract piece free up money to be used on other free agents a real possibility?

Is there any indication that Taurasi is going to demand that much money at 39? Obviously the franchise is loyal to her but part of me doesn't take her as someone that selfish.

Hard call

I could see Taurasi taking a little less, but to make any real difference it would have to be a little more than a little. To be able to afford another decent free agent she would probably need to take like 50k less. IDK if I am Taurasi if I am ok with SDS and Hartley making more than me.

IMO it is not selfish to take a super max when you play to that level, are a star of her magnitude and have stayed with the team your entire career and won Championships. Players do sometimes age out of their super max value but you play to be the best and get paid like the best. This is DT'a first year to be able to make this kind of money in the W after years of getting paid what half the team got paid. We as fans want to paint it as not being a team player, but it isn't the players responsibility to put together the team or make financial decisions. This is probably also DT's last chance and contract in the W before she retires. I could see sacrificing for the greater good but getting paid 50K less so the team could sign a decent mid level free agent like Achonwa, Breeland, B. Laney, Powers I think I would be like yeah show me the money.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/23/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone suggested the same thing to me in regards to LA - that the likes of Parker, Nneka and Gray would be more interested in winning a title than taking the most cash possible. And yes, its true that players might take a discount. Even this season, Courtney Vandesloot played for $206,000 when presumably Chicago would've found the supermax of $215,000 if she'd demanded it.

But historically, those are the sorts of discounts we're talking about when WNBA players take less than they could demand. Taurasi taking about 10k less than the supermax isn't going to help them all that much.

And yeah, I'd hardly call it selfish for someone who was their best player at 38 to demand a supermax salary to play at 39. Especially when there are two players on the team already getting it and she's been underpaid relative to her value for her entire WNBA career. Also, if she did something crazy like sign for the vet minimum, other teams would probably go nuts (especially considering her wife was, until recently, employed by the franchise in a non-salary cap role). There'd be a lot of people thinking there was a wink-wink deal to give Taurasi a post-playing role with an excessive salary to make up the difference in a couple of years once she actually retires.

PostPosted: 10/24/20 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think the union would be happy either. They spent a lot of time and effort wrangling over higher maximum salaries. It was the major achievement of their new CBA. To have stars then go around offering massive discounts would defeat the purpose.

PostPosted: 10/24/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also true, although on an individual case basis the Union would have no power to stop it. The League, on the other hand, could actually reject the deal or investigate if they thought something dodgy was going on. Always very hard to prove stuff like that though, of course.

PostPosted: 10/24/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also true, although on an individual case basis the Union would have no power to stop it.

No legal power, but plenty of peer pressure. I remember years ago when Alex Rodriguez tried to reduce his contract so that he could be traded. The union stepped in and told him it was a bad precedent. It would hurt all MLB players because once one player takes a cut, it creates an expectation that others should do it too. This causes downward pressure on salaries. Rodriguez ultimately backed off.

PostPosted: 10/24/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn’t trying to say it’s selfish TO take the money. Should have phrased it in that I don’t view Taurasi as selfish. She’s made so much money overseas that I don’t think she’s really going to care that her that younger teammates make more than her in the W. She absolutely deserves the contract but I don’t see her walking into the front office and saying “give me the most money or I’ll be upset”

Realistically she has maybe one more year at super max value. I’m interested to see how it all plays out.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winsidr Show - Shey Peddy

https://share.transistor.fm/s/f9d94f4f

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
Nurse/Cunningham
Turner/Smith/Walker
Griner/Vaughn

not bad

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not bad
Not great
Just meh

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Not bad
Not great
Just meh

Could be worse.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Not bad
Not great
Just meh

agree. doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/11/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If DT and Griner play to their potential, that's two Olympians -- SDS could be a top-shelf guard and Nurse could be a little more than competent.

Of course DT could get hurt, Griner could pout, SDS could continue to turn the ball over and Nurse could be awful.

It should be an interesting year in Phoenix ...

PostPosted: 02/11/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
SDS/Hartley
DT/Peddy
Nurse/Cunningham
Turner/Smith/Walker
Griner/Vaughn

not bad

ClayK wrote:
If DT and Griner play to their potential, that's two Olympians -- SDS could be a top-shelf guard and Nurse could be a little more than competent.

Of course DT could get hurt, Griner could pout, SDS could continue to turn the ball over and Nurse could be awful.

Phoenix made a run in the bubble after Griner exited. While Hartley's injury hurt (and she was having quite the MIP-caliber season), Phoenix relied on Taurasi and Diggins-Smith's offensive output and playmaking (with both earning Second Team All-WNBA honors) and Brianna Turner anchoring the paint (which earned her First Team All-Defensive honors) to push through, falling two points away from making the playoff semifinals. Phoenix finished 2nd in the WNBA in both made threes per contest and made free throws per game (and led the WNBA in free throw percentage at .825).

Taking in both Kia Nurse and Megan Walker would have put the Mercury over the salary cap, so Phoenix waived Nia Coffey.

With all that said and considering Phoenix's cap situation (and the fact that 2021 is Nurse's last year on her rookie deal), the time is right to trade Brittney Griner.

It is no secret that Dallas needs help in the post, in the worst way. The Astou Ndour trade was a bust, as Ndour failed to replicate the potential she showed in Chicago. Isabelle Harrison has regressed in her two played seasons in Dallas. Megan Gustafson is not starter-material in the W.

And the only "untouchable" players on Dallas' roster appear to be Arike Ogunbowale and Satou Sabally.

So what is the asking price for a 2x WNBA scoring champion, a 2x All-WNBA First Team member, and a 3x All-WNBA Second Team member?

If I am Phoenix, I offer Griner for the #1 pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft and Bella Alarie.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/11/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm still not expecting a Griner trade, because I still think their (limited) chances to win a title before Taurasi is done are signifcantly greater with Griner than without her. But if they were to bite, you can drag more than that out of Dallas.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I still wouldnt want to face them in 1game elimination

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/11/21 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm still not expecting a Griner trade, because I still think their (limited) chances to win a title before Taurasi is done are signifcantly greater with Griner than without her. But if they were to bite, you can drag more than that out of Dallas.

That's my feeling too.

Brit - at her best - is worth a lot. And the problem of course, is that..we'd need to trade her for a post...anyone with the same value as Brit as a post, won't bite..because they'd rather keep their player than have a potential headache.

But what about Tina Charles? Phoenix showed interest in her before - she's aging, and is in win now mode herself, and Brit might be an upgrade on the Mystics too. Could be a win win.

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

But what about Tina Charles? Phoenix showed interest in her before - she's aging, and is in win now mode herself, and Brit might be an upgrade on the Mystics too. Could be a win win.

Mike has mostly tried to avoid potential problem players. And really I think Tina has a better chance of winning now in Washington than in Phoenix with Griner gone.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles only got a one year deal for a reason. She’s most likely a sub for Meesseman this year only. I’m sure Thibault wants to take care of his own long term, which includes Delle Donne, Meesseman, Cloud, and starting next year Hines-Allen and Atkins. He’s also got Clark to take care of now.

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a deal made for Hines-Allen yet. She’s a nice insurance policy but might as well deal her when her stock is high.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/13/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc trade Yvonne Turner to Atlanta for a 2022 third round pick

PostPosted: 03/03/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar Diggins-Smith is joining the Phoenix Suns broadcast team as a guest analyst for games in the second half of the season.

Diggins-Smith will make her debut on the Suns Live! Presented by FirstBank pregame show on FOX Sports Arizona prior to the Suns home contest against the Golden State Warriors at 7:30 p.m. on March 4.

https://www.nba.com/suns/phoenix-mercury-all-star-guard-skylar-diggins-smith-join-suns-broadcast-team-guest-analyst#

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/12/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.abc15.com/news/business/valley-grocer-to-advertise-on-wnba-player-jerseys

I kind of liked the Talking Stick logo. I wonder how Fry's will look on the jersey.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/22/21 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sara Blicavs has been signed to a training camp contract.

I believe she had signed one with Phoenix during last year's free agency before things changed. One year later, and she's back.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/21 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

March 22, 2021
Phoenix Mercury: Marta Xargay – Sign Training Camp Contract

miller40

PostPosted: 04/01/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
March 22, 2021

It will be interesting to see what kind of shape she’s in since she hasn’t played basketball in awhile.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Shades wrote:
March 22, 2021

It will be interesting to see what kind of shape she’s in since she hasn’t played basketball in awhile.

I kinda wonder if Xargay forced PHX’s hand by signing with them in a season that she’s very unlikely to make their 11-player roster. That way after being cut she would be free to sign with SEA, for instance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: