RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 10/16/20 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Periodically, people ask about the foreign prospects. Paul Nilsen put together rosters for a fantasy All-Star game of teenage players from around the world. In addition to Kuier, Rupert, and Heal whom we've discussed, the other draft-eligible players are:

Marine Fauthoux 5' 9" PG France
Flo Chagas 5' 11" SG Argentina
Reka Dombai 5' 10" SF Hungary
Alexia Dizeko 6' 0" SF Angola
Nanako Todo 5' 9" SF Japan
Emma Rinat 5' 8" SG Isael
Laura Meldere 6' 3" C Latvia

I know nothing about these players. I simply checked to see if they turn 20 next year and don't play for US colleges. They are listed based on their current overseas positions, but the 5-9/5-10 forwards will probably need to move to guard. All other players mentioned in the article are either playing for US colleges or are too young for the draft. I'm always curious about the really, really young players. Nilsen lists two: 15-year old Anastasiia Kosu of Russia and Juste Jocyte of Lithuania who turns 15 next month. Jocyte is the youngest "woman" to ever play Euroleague, which she accomplished at age 13.

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/decide-the-outcome-of-a-fiba-2020-global-teenage-all-star-game-who-wins

Where did you look for the birth dates? Todo was in the last draft. Rinat is a 2003 born player who for now intends to head to Rhode Island after this season.

I was looking forward to see how Fauthoux would do this season, but her team is one of the ones most affected by the virus. On one hand, people would say that Tony Parker decided to completely give her the keys to the offense, but on the other hand, skeptical French fans think that it was a package deal to make sure that her father would be part of the staff on the men's side (hopefully Tony won't have to relieve his brother of his job again).

I hope Jocyte completely lives up to the hype to the point where people get mad that she can't be drafted in 2025.

Seeing the prospects listed does show how deep this international group is right now.
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/17/20 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Where did you look for the birth dates? Todo was in the last draft. Rinat is a 2003 born player who for now intends to head to Rhode Island after this season.

I was looking forward to see how Fauthoux would do this season, but her team is one of the ones most affected by the virus. On one hand, people would say that Tony Parker decided to completely give her the keys to the offense, but on the other hand, skeptical French fans think that it was a package deal to make sure that her father would be part of the staff on the men's side (hopefully Tony won't have to relieve his brother of his job again).

I hope Jocyte completely lives up to the hype to the point where people get mad that she can't be drafted in 2025.

Seeing the prospects listed does show how deep this international group is right now.

Probably human error on my part rather than a source issue. I originally looked up these players out of curiosity with no intention of posting. However, at the last minute I decided to be “helpful” and share this information. Each player was popped up on my browser in her own tab. I attempted to close all the ones I didn’t need but I probably left Rinat up by mistake. As for Todo, Nilsen’s article was about the best teenagers. It never occurred to me that anyone would be too old for the draft. So, when I looked up Todo, I’m guessing what caught my eye was the information in parentheses that said she was 19. I never focused on her birth year. Todo has a late birthday so she is still nominally a teenager but a 20-year old for draft purposes.

Thanks for the insight on Fauthoux. Whatever happens this season, it does seem like France has done a nice job of replenishing their player pipeline. They're in position to remain a basketball power for years to come. Not sure if a country like Spain has done the same. Right now, I see Canada, Belgium, and China passing them by. As for Jocyte, the little that I can glean from watching her highlight clips as a 13-year old is that she’s pretty skilled for her age. However, it's hard to judge athleticism when a player is that young. There is at least one full game available of her in a FIBA tournament, so I plan on watching that at some point.

PostPosted: 10/17/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we know if Jocyte is already being paid to play or if she's maintaining her NCAA eligibility? Even if she turns out to be world class, it'd save the WNBA from having to worry about their rule if she joined the NCAA system and negated the effect of being foreign or not.

PostPosted: 10/18/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Probably human error on my part rather than a source issue. I originally looked up these players out of curiosity with no intention of posting. However, at the last minute I decided to be “helpful” and share this information. Each player was popped up on my browser in her own tab. I attempted to close all the ones I didn’t need but I probably left Rinat up by mistake. As for Todo, Nilsen’s article was about the best teenagers. It never occurred to me that anyone would be too old for the draft. So, when I looked up Todo, I’m guessing what caught my eye was the information in parentheses that said she was 19. I never focused on her birth year. Todo has a late birthday so she is still nominally a teenager but a 20-year old for draft purposes.

Thanks for the insight on Fauthoux. Whatever happens this season, it does seem like France has done a nice job of replenishing their player pipeline. They're in position to remain a basketball power for years to come. Not sure if a country like Spain has done the same. Right now, I see Canada, Belgium, and China passing them by. As for Jocyte, the little that I can glean from watching her highlight clips as a 13-year old is that she’s pretty skilled for her age. However, it's hard to judge athleticism when a player is that young. There is at least one full game available of her in a FIBA tournament, so I plan on watching that at some point.

It is interesting thinking about the future of Spain. They are relying pretty heavily on the same group of players, which makes sense since they keep winning, but they do need to produce useful post players at some point even if they keep on churning out guards. The main issue that we could see creeping up in Europe in the next few years is the rising social acceptance of women playing soccer, which could really hurt basketball, volleyball, and handball. At some point, Australia will probably dip because of AFLW providing even more competition than netball and soccer.

Richyyy wrote:
Do we know if Jocyte is already being paid to play or if she's maintaining her NCAA eligibility? Even if she turns out to be world class, it'd save the WNBA from having to worry about their rule if she joined the NCAA system and negated the effect of being foreign or not.

Strictly speaking, I do not think that is legal for someone her age to be paid enough to be considered a professional athlete in the EU. This is supposedly year 2 of a 3 year agreement with Lyon. She could always go the JC or NAIA route like her father... Of course, if she had been born within the grounds of the Lithuanian embassy, I suppose she would technically not have been born in the United States.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/18/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if her being born in the US at least played a small part in Jocyte being fast-tracked into the senior Lithuanian national team setup. They might've been worried that she'd switch allegiance to USA Basketball, so you get her into an official game as quickly as possible to make it harder to switch (although probably not impossible, given FIBA's whims).

And yeah, no clue what the hell they'd do if she was technically born on Lithuanian soil in the United States.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M's Destiny Pitts Granted Immediate Eligibility

Quote:
Pitts spent her first three seasons at Minnesota, where she earned All-Big Ten honors and was the consensus Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2017-18…

…The 5-10 guard was rated as the second-best transfer player by ESPN.com. She averaged 16.3 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game, while shooting 46% from the three-point line this past season.

Pitts played in 15 games out of 31 last season, and played fully in her first two seasons. Still, the A&M roster conflictingly lists her as a junior. Unless there's something I'm not getting, she should be a senior this year.

So assuming her senior status, it'll be interesting to see how she meshes with the other 2021 prospects in Kayla Wells (G/F), N'Dea Jones (PF), and Ciera Johnson (C). I'm guessing she slots in where Chennedy Carter was last season at the 2, but for those more familiar with her and/or A&M's roster construction, could Gary Blair try playing her at PG?

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/23/20 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
also it will be interesting to see how Dangerfield does in season #2. Often teams adjust...and with her, I think they will find ways to make the size a bit more of a problem. But FLB has made it for all these years even though teams post her up with their big guards and that can sometimes be a problem. I expect that will also happen to other midgets.

FLB is a much better shooter than Dangerfield. Dangerfield isn't horrible, but her shooting percentage is somewhat skewed by the fact that teams tended to let her take open threes because that was a much better option than letting Fowles or Collier touch the ball.

That said, Dangerfield could easily improve on her shot, which would mask her defensive deficiencies (mainly size-related) -- and as FLB has shown, experience improves defense.

What's most important to me for Crystal having a long career has everything to do with her abilities in the moment. She is a great basketball player, clearly, and will continue to get better-but it was the times that she picked to be great. She was the boost in several second halves, did things when her teams needed to, and frankly, proved that very few defenders could keep her from where she wanted and needed to go when her tea needed it most.

I have never ever ever seen a rookie have the kind of year she did and still be questioned about everything. I mean, the week before the season ended the Around the Rim podcast talked about ROY and she was barely mentioned. But, that's for another day when we discuss how Debbie Anotonelli is the biggest hack journalist I've ever seen cover a sport.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/23/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I have never ever ever seen a rookie have the kind of year she did and still be questioned about everything. I mean, the week before the season ended the Around the Rim podcast talked about ROY and she was barely mentioned. But, that's for another day when we discuss how Debbie Anotonelli is the biggest hack journalist I've ever seen cover a sport.

Dangerfield was mentioned as a sleeper by some on this board after Minnesota drafted her.

Part of this was due to the built-in chemistry with Napheesa Collier from their time together at UConn (three years). Another component was opportunity - Danielle Robinson left for Las Vegas in free agency, Odyssey Sims was expected to miss some of 2020 season due to pregnancy, and Lexie Brown was always more of a shooting guard who can pass rather than a lead facilitator (especially at the professional level).

The combination of talent and opportunity was perfect with the Lynx, and Dangerfield made the most of it.

But with Sabrina Ionescu and Chennedy Carter both being guaranteed starters as their respective teams' starting point guards for 2020 and the opportunity for minutes at forward for Satou Sabally, it is understandable why she was not a ROY frontrunner or primary contender. And, truth be told, Ionescu getting injured after three games (18.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.0 apg) and both Carter and Sabally missing 6 out of 22 games (27.2 percent) certainly helped Dangerfield's chances (not to take away from what CD did on the court to earn ROY honors).

The bigger questions concern whether Dangerfield can not just maintain but improve on her 2020 performances. MN will (presumably) have a healthy Sylvia Fowles in 2021, though she is 35. And an under-the-radar return is that of Jessica Shepard, who, in six games in 2019, showed her versatility, ability to fit in with other talented players, and vision and passing skills while putting up 4.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg, and 3.5 apg in only 18 minute per contest, making her and Napheesa Collier two of the best secondary facilitators from the forward positions.

And there is still the potential return of Maya Moore.

Will this mean more scoring opportunities for Dangerfield, as teams have to focus on other players? Will CD draw the opposition's best defenders, which could lead to more assists and less scoring for her?

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/23/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield was a really good player in college, and early in the mock draft process she was mentioned as a possible lottery pick. At the very least, most people considered her a 1st Round selection. Obviously, the draft turned out very differently from what we and the media expected. That seemed to drastically lower everyone's opinion of Crystal.

Dangerfield shot .448/.395/.878 over her last three years of college. That 39.5% 3pt rate was based on a large sample size (215-544). There were some questions about her so-so assist numbers at UConn, and certainly Crystal’s lack of size raised doubts that she could defend at the next level. However, there was never any basis for questioning whether she can shoot – not if you watched a lot of her games and checked the numbers. Critics can speculate all they want about the future, but there’s no denying Dangerfield had a great rookie season.

PostPosted: 10/23/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, especially once Fowles got hurt, they asked Dangerfield to create a lot of her own offense. So a significant proportion of the threes she took this year were off the dribble and pull-ups. Those are much tougher shots than the stand-still catch-and-shoot threes that have been the main part of Leilani Mitchell's production over the years. Dangerfield's percentage could well go up in future years when more of her shots come from other people kicking to her as a standstill shooter. Or hell, just when she's had more experience with the pro line.

Mitchell averaged 3.9 points per game in her rookie season, by the way.

Last edited by Richyyy on 10/23/20 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/23/20 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Good" I can go with. "Great"?

Her PER was 17.3 (average is 15). Her defensive rating was in the 20th percentile. Her A/TO was a very unimpressive 1.4.

I agree she will probably shoot better, though her lack of size is more of a factor in three-point shooting at the WNBA level because the defenders are taller and longer. She will improve defensively and as a ballhandler.

She was a very good pick in the second round, but calling her 2020 season "great" simply ignores some very key aspects of her game.

It's possible she could be "great" down the line, but she's just so small it will be very difficult. Still, she could turn out to be a really good WNBA player and have a long and successful career.

PostPosted: 10/23/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The phrase I used was "great rookie season". If you compare Dangerfield's rookie year to all rookie seasons in the history of the WNBA, I'm pretty sure the percentile rank is going to be very high. "Good" for a veteran is generally great for a rookie. I acknowledge that we get the occasional sprung-from-the-head-of-Zeus anomalies like Stewart, Wilson or Charles so "great" should probably be reserved for them. I'm willing to compromise at "very good" to describe Dangerfield's season. Smile

PostPosted: 10/23/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Also, especially once Fowles got hurt, they asked Dangerfield to create a lot of her own offense. So a significant proportion of the threes she took this year were off the dribble and pull-ups. Those are much tougher shots than the stand-still catch-and-shoot threes that have been the main part of Leilani Mitchell's production over the years. Dangerfield's percentage could well go up in future years when more of her shots come from other people kicking to her as a standstill shooter. Or hell, just when she's had more experience with the pro line.

Mitchell averaged 3.9 points per game in her rookie season, by the way.

I definitely agree that Dangerfield is a better creator, or at least a more active one. However, Mitchell did lead the league in points scored and 3s made off of on-ball screens in 2019, so that statement isn't 100% true. Catch and shoot is what she has been asked to do for the majority of her career, but she can score off the dribble if she needs - as she showed last season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/28/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor seniors DiDi Richards, Moon Ursin injured in practice collision

Quote:
Richards, one of the country's top defensive players, is out indefinitely with no specified time to return to basketball activities. Ursin is in concussion protocol.

The 6-foot-1 Richards suffered a spinal-cord injury without radiographic abnormality, which causes temporary impairment. Baylor said she was treated and released from the hospital, and is making progress from her injury.

This is a wiki article about spinal-cord injuries without radiographic abnormality, aka SCIWORA. Here are some quotes:

Quote:
[SCIWORA] is symptoms of a spinal cord injury (SCI) with no evidence of injury to the spinal column on X-rays or CT scan. Symptoms may include numbness, weakness, abnormal reflexes, or loss of bladder or bowel control. Neck or back pain is also common. Symptoms may be brief or persistent. Some do not develop symptoms until a few days after the injury. Causes may include motor vehicle collisions, falls, sports injuries, and non accidental trauma...

...Typically people should avoid further high risk activities for the next six months...

...The duration of symptoms varies widely. A full recovery can be achieved without treatment within minutes to hours and permanent injuries might prevail...

Scary injury for Richards. Shocked All of a sudden, her basketball future appears to be in real jeopardy; I'm gonna guess that she doesn't play this season at the very least. Hopefully both she and Moon Ursin recover fully as soon as possible!

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/20 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really bad news for Didi. Hopefully she can recover quickly. She is a lot of fun to watch because she plays flat out all the time (plus I love her MiniMouse hair buns). Especially with her style of play it's important she be all the way recovered before she starts to play again. I'm not sure she is W material because of her offense, or lack thereof, but if she misses a significant part of the season, that will for sure make it harder.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 11/03/20 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shakira Austin declared immediately eligible to play this season. That makes her another prominent (for this draft) prospect that could declare early for the draft by virtue of turning 22 in 2021.
https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-womens-basketball-Co-Yo-discusses-Shakira-Austins-immediate-eligibility-153829625/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/03/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shakira Austin declared immediately eligible to play this season. That makes her another prominent (for this draft) prospect that could declare early for the draft by virtue of turning 22 in 2021.
https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-womens-basketball-Co-Yo-discusses-Shakira-Austins-immediate-eligibility-153829625/

Id have her as a lottery pick without question. If only Dallas could find a way Cool Cool

PostPosted: 11/06/20 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBL: Boomers legend Shane Heal is astounded by the talent of his daughter Shyla
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/womens-sport/wnbl-boomers-legend-shane-heal-is-astounded-by-the-talent-of-his-daughter-shyla/news-story/8a8c400935594f5955de3b8c38722910?nk=267170b57f753390e9121d08059d7b10-1604716413

Quote:
“She’s a much better defender than I was. She’s always prided herself on being the best defender on her team, she’s always embraced that and loved playing defence. I wasn’t the best defender on our team.

“She’s forecasted to be in the first round of the WNBA Draft in April.”

Was that awhom forecasting her as first rounder? 🤔

Quote:
On Thursday, Opals coach Sandy Brondello told News Corp that she’ll be watching Heal closely, when she enters the WNBL hub to survey talent ahead of Tokyo 2021 and the 2022 Basketball World Cup.

Quote:
“I plan to nominate (for the 2021 WNBA draft) and I’m really excited, but I’m focusing on WNBL right now. I want to have a really good season here, then hopefully it follows onto making me go in the first round, that’s the main goal.”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/07/20 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBL: Boomers legend Shane Heal is astounded by the talent of his daughter Shyla
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/womens-sport/wnbl-boomers-legend-shane-heal-is-astounded-by-the-talent-of-his-daughter-shyla/news-story/8a8c400935594f5955de3b8c38722910?nk=267170b57f753390e9121d08059d7b10-1604716413

Quote:
“She’s a much better defender than I was. She’s always prided herself on being the best defender on her team, she’s always embraced that and loved playing defence. I wasn’t the best defender on our team.

“She’s forecasted to be in the first round of the WNBA Draft in April.”

Was that awhom forecasting her as first rounder? 🤔

Quote:
On Thursday, Opals coach Sandy Brondello told News Corp that she’ll be watching Heal closely, when she enters the WNBL hub to survey talent ahead of Tokyo 2021 and the 2022 Basketball World Cup.

Quote:
“I plan to nominate (for the 2021 WNBA draft) and I’m really excited, but I’m focusing on WNBL right now. I want to have a really good season here, then hopefully it follows onto making me go in the first round, that’s the main goal.”

Absolutely not me. I do want to see how her shooting can translate. Now more than ever, a point guard who can fully function off the ball on offense has value.
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/07/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at Heal’s WNBL stats, she put up 12.1 ppg (43.8%/37.8%/84.9%), 4.1 rpg, and 1.6 apg last season. Those are nice numbers for an 18-year-old, but the assist figure seems low for a point guard. Is that because she’s a shoot-first PG or did she play a lot of SG instead? At 5-6, she’ll already be smallish at the point, but really small at the 2. From the little I’ve seen, Heal looks strong but not especially quick. Usually undersized players need to be super quick -- although Leilani Mitchell has survived nicely with just average quickness.

PostPosted: 11/07/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To answer part of that question, her role with Bendigo last year was "bench points." The starting guard duo of Kelly Wilson and Tessa Lavey averaged 9.9 assists per game, collectively.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 11/07/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1st round will be hard for Heal

I could see her at 11 with Seattle if

A. Seattle can't afford Whitcomb after maxing out Howard or

B. Seattle drafts her with the idea that she might skip 21 for Olympic preparation and show in 22 after Bird retires

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/07/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heal is basically yet to play PG in the WNBL. This coming season (which is just a few days from tip-off) she is finally in the right situation to do so.
I'm looking forward to seeing how she goes. Just a pity it is a weakened league this season due to the no foreign players restriction.

PostPosted: 11/08/20 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regardless of age, if a player doesn't start in the WNBL, it's hard to see her having an immediate impact in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 11/08/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Regardless of age, if a player doesn't start in the WNBL, it's hard to see her having an immediate impact in the WNBA.

That's true of course, but she just turned 19 and last season she was on a team with 2 of the country's best PGs in front of her.
Also the WNBL is clearly no WNBA but it's still a grown woman league, so I don't mark her down too hard for not starting. At the age Heal was last season, Ezi Magbegor wasn't starting in the WNBL either.
(Not that I'm comparing the two in any other way!)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 8 of 53

Jump to: