RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/21/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When talking about Brionna Jones, it is important to note that within the starting lineup, she was no more than their 3rd- or 4th-option, especially when defenders would leave the Sun's guards alone on the perimeter to jack up shots. As noted, she is a slower defender – well, player in general – but she's also not a good rebounder for a center (just 5.6 RPG, though Bonner and AT were consistent enough on the glass to where that didn't matter a whole lot). If she goes elsewhere, her new team would have to understand the limits to her game and not try to make her into a star player, where she would probably fail.

It was nice to see that she has developed a pretty consistent jump shot. The consistency of her free-throw line jumper surprised me, so hopefully she's not done expanding her range.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But was her lack of rebounding on the offensive end at least partially because she was trying to give space for Bonner and Thomas who need room to drive? Not sure as I didn't watch her enough.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But was her lack of rebounding on the offensive end at least partially because she was trying to give space for Bonner and Thomas who need room to drive? Not sure as I didn't watch her enough.

Statistically speaking, she averaged as many o-boards as she did d-boards (roughly 2.8 each). So maybe her job was only to rebound on that end of the floor and Bonner & AT handled the other. Still, 2.8 defensive rebounds/game out of your starting center isn’t great, but maybe it’s all about her role. Both Bonner and AT each averaged a career high in RPG fwiw.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's possible Jones could be more effective on a team that shot three-pointers well, but the eye test says she's slow of foot (but quick of hand).

She looks like a competent backup to me (Mercedes Russell type) but maybe in the right situation she can be an effective starter.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jones is definitely an interesting case this offseason. She seems to have done a good enough job to earn a decent vet contract from somebody, but if I'm a WNBA GM I'd want someone else to be paying it to her. I think she probably tops out as a 4th or 5th starter, and the problem in this era is that overpaying someone in that range could come with significant opportunity cost.

One of those players you absolutely want when they're still on their rookie-scale contract, but you have to think very carefully about once they're off it.

PostPosted: 10/22/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Brionna Jones early in her career at Maryland. She was huge, and you’d take one look at her and say “no chance”. But Brionna worked on her body and she worked on her game. By the time Jones left Maryland, she was a really good college player. Now, after four years, Brionna has turned herself into a serviceable WNBA starter. Like I said before, more of a Plan B or Plan C option but still a decent player. Jones is smart and determined. It would not shock me if we look up years from now and see her still playing in the league. Look at Leilani Mitchell who is a starter in the WNBA at age 35. Who the heck thought she’d still be around at age 35? Like Jones, FLB has physical limitations and has never been more than a Plan B or Plan C option. However, Mitchell could always shoot the 3, was good at ball security, and she is adored by teammates. Now, Leilani also adds veteran savvy and an ability to hit big shots at crunch time. So, maybe Jones can be the Leilani Mitchell equivalent at center. She’s a solid scorer and effective banger on both ends of the court. Despite being slow, she does have good anticipation and is able to cause loose balls. Brionna does enough good stuff to make herself very useful, and it would not surprise me if over time she sharpens her skills and adds new ones. Jones will never be anyone's ideal center, but being everybody's favorite Plan B or C can keep you in the league for a long time.

PostPosted: 10/23/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The single most important variable about any player, at any age, is when they will stop improving. Some players are who they will be at 18; some get better into their 30s.

A lot of that depends on work ethic and desire, and a lot also depends on how much more improvement there is available in the physical package. The biggest single thing you hear about players who improve rapidly or consistently is a devotion to physical conditioning, generally losing weight and adding muscle.

It's very interesting to hear that Jones has done that, and it makes her, it seems to me, more likely to continue improving than others her age, or at the least, maintain her level of play for several years to come.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: