RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky Hammon Interviewing For Pacers Head Coach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/12/20 10:34 pm    ::: Becky Hammon Interviewing For Pacers Head Coach Reply Reply with quote

She's putting out the effort.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-becky-hammon-among-candidates-interviewing-for-pacers-opening-174023113.html
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/13/20 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, if Popovich is determined to let Tim Duncan "jump the line" (as he appears to be), then she might as well start looking elsewhere.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/13/20 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pacers are reportedly considering several candidates. So, not to be completely pessimistic, but at what point do 'we' not consider Hammon being on the big list as a "token interview" when she inevitably doesn't end up landing the job? Would she simply just have to be announced as a final candidate for there to be no outcries of it, even if/when she doesn't get the job anyway?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/13/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Pacers are reportedly considering several candidates. So, not to be completely pessimistic, but at what point do 'we' not consider Hammon being on the big list as a "token interview" when she inevitably doesn't end up landing the job? Would she simply just have to be announced as a final candidate for there to be no outcries of it, even if/when she doesn't get the job anyway?

The thing is, she's been a Pop assistant for years now. Pop's assistants get interviews. She shouldn't be considered a "token."

PostPosted: 09/14/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pacers fire their head coach over lack of postseason success; with such unreasonable expectations, I have little expectation that they will treat their prospective coaches any more reasonable or fairly. Laughing Still better than a team that snubs a coach with experience, Summer League success, and praise from players, for the new guy who has none of those.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/16/20 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Unfortunately, even IF she makes the final list and actually gets the job, to many she will still be considered just a token, a demographic filler, an equal opportunity rep. Her skill, experience, accomplishments and accolades won't be enough to convince them otherwise.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/17/20 4:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Unfortunately, even IF she makes the final list and actually gets the job, to many she will still be considered just a token, a demographic filler, an equal opportunity rep. Her skill, experience, accomplishments and accolades won't be enough to convince them otherwise.

Then its up to her to prove them wrong..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/17/20 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I disagree. It's up to us to challenge the narrowminded bigots.

PostPosted: 09/20/20 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

When someone has already made up their mind about you "come hell or high water" no amount of "proof" will be enough. Better to say %$#@ them and keep striving to be the best you can be for yourself.
pilight

PostPosted: 10/21/20 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pacers have hired Nate Bjorkgren as head coach. He started as an assistant in the NBA in 2015, the year after Hammon started.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Pacers have hired Nate Bjorkgren as head coach. He started as an assistant in the NBA in 2015, the year after Hammon started.

With over a decade of coaching experience in high school and the G-League (mostly as a head coach) before that. To be fair.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

With over a decade of coaching experience in high school and the G-League (mostly as a head coach) before that. To be fair.

And a huge endorsement from Nurse as his right-hand man.

In no way was Hammon more qualified.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For such a hot commodity, I never heard him until he got the job. At least he isn't a retread.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/22/20 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would becoming head couch of a G League team be considered a step down for Hammon? I feel like she has to take another step to get over the hump in these considerations. I think she deserves a shot. I just hope she's smart and doesn't take on a sinking ship that will tank her career and get her fired after 2 seasons.

I wonder if she took, say, the Dallas Wings job and got them to the finals in one season, of she could parlay that into a NBA gig? Doubtful.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Would becoming head couch of a G League team be considered a step down for Hammon?

I would say so. Nancy Lieberman went from coaching G League ten years ago to assistant coaching at Sacramento now.

johnjohnW wrote:
I think she deserves a shot. I just hope she's smart and doesn't take on a sinking ship that will tank her career and get her fired after 2 seasons.

The owner of the Lynx/Timberwolves has always been about giving women opportunities. Coaching the Wolves might be a good opportunity for her since the Wolves can’t really get any worse. Trouble is they’re now stuck in the Flip Saunders son coaching era.

johnjohnW wrote:
I wonder if she took, say, the Dallas Wings job and got them to the finals in one season, of she could parlay that into a NBA gig? Doubtful.

Laimbeer thought he could do that. Didn’t seem to help him. He started at the NBA assistant level. Didn’t work out for him. He seemed to give up easy.

I hope Hammon stays the course.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Almost two decades of playing at a high professional level balances that out

PostPosted: 10/22/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly Thunder head coach instead of Pacers?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2020/10/22/thunder-could-okc-make-becky-hammon-nbas-first-female-coach/3722710001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/22/20 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Possibly Thunder head coach instead of Pacers?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2020/10/22/thunder-could-okc-make-becky-hammon-nbas-first-female-coach/3722710001/

Interesting.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/22/20 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Hammon gets another interview. Well, Gregg Popovich is 71. She's still probably better off waiting for him to call it quits and hand the team over to her. And even then, that scenario is light years apart from a guarantee...

Although I will say, I would hate for her to get the open Thunder job. I will never in my lifetime root for the Thunder – even after the Sonics get inevitably revived.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/23/20 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So Hammon gets another interview. Well, Gregg Popovich is 71. She's still probably better off waiting for him to call it quits and hand the team over to her. And even then, that scenario is light years apart from a guarantee...

Although I will say, I would hate for her to get the open Thunder job. I will never in my lifetime root for the Thunder – even after the Sonics get inevitably revived.

Not going to happen when Tim Duncan is also in the mix

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/23/20 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not going to happen when Tim Duncan is also in the mix

Sadly, I agree. Given all we've seen, there is absolutely no reason to believe that Gregg Popovich will "hand the team over" to Becky Hammon rather than Tim Duncan. And surely Hammon is well aware of this by now. She is better off going for any good head coaching job, including in college basketball, right now. When Popovich retires and Duncan becomes head coach, it probably would be very awkward for Hammon to continue as an assistant there under Duncan--the guy promoted over her.

PostPosted: 11/11/20 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30299352/source-tim-duncan-stepping-away-full-assistant-role-san-antonio-spurs

Hmm. Maybe Duncan wasn't the heir apparent?

Shades

PostPosted: 11/15/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/15/20 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's so awesome. It's a shame the Stars no longer exist. It really sucks how so much of this league's history ceases to exist because of the relocation carousel.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/15/20 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
That's so awesome. It's a shame the Stars no longer exist. It really sucks how so much of this league's history ceases to exist because of the relocation carousel.

You mean it's a shame the Starzz no longer exist?

Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: