RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Do the WNBA's Most Improved Players Keep Up Their Success?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/20 6:02 pm    ::: Do the WNBA's Most Improved Players Keep Up Their Success? Reply Reply with quote

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-the-wnbas-most-improved-players-keep-up-their-success/

PostPosted: 10/21/20 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow Shocked all this shows is that MHA for the Styx would've set a record for most points improved by a player from one season to the next...also second all-time in rebounds (should she have won). Plus her team made the playoffs...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/21/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Wow Shocked all this shows is that MHA for the Styx would've set a record for most points improved by a player from one season to the next...also second all-time in rebounds (should she have won). Plus her team made the playoffs...

I understand why people chose Laney, but to me MHA was the obvious choice.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/21/20 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

I understand why people chose Laney, but to me MHA was the obvious choice.

+1 , But laney had the better story . Veteran cut multiple times , finally finds her stride. Its the Alley Quigley effect !

PostPosted: 10/21/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other reason is that Hines-Allen had a 285% (7.8 to 30) increase in minutes while Laney only had a 29% (25.8 to 33.3) rise in minutes. We can see more clearly that Laney improved her actual level of play. With MHA, a lot of that improvement is attributable to increased opportunity. Obviously, other people given the same chance would not perform anywhere near as well. There’s no doubt Myisha did a fantastic job. Nonetheless, when you’re presented with two extremely worthy candidates, that’s at least a logical argument for choosing one person over the other.

PostPosted: 10/21/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the winners' stats, the one consistent thing I've seen is, other than Natasha Howard ('1Cool, every other winner as far back as 2011 has never had a PPG average as high as the year they won MIP – that even sort of applies to Leilani Mitchell both times she won.

Even without researching that, I do think Laney played out of her ass (I still don't fully understand how she turned in the kind of season she had) and won't ever again put up the numbers she did this year – the question is, how much will she regress?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: