RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who's your early pick to go #1 overall in 2021?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Predict who will go #1 overall in 2021!
Charli Collier (as an early declarer)
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Rennia Davis
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Dana Evans
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Natasha Mack
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Aari McDonald
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Michaela Onyenwere
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Didi Richards
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Evina Westbrook (as an early declarer)
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
An international prospect (such as Awak Kuier)
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Someone else (who?)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/17/20 2:55 pm    ::: Who's your early pick to go #1 overall in 2021? Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to do this poll to see where people are at as of right now, despite us not even knowing yet which team will be expected to pick #1 overall. It's been a while since a Draft has been this wide open, so we certainly could be speculating on it right up until Draft Night itself.

Collier and Westbrook would be eligible to enter the 2021 Draft, should they so choose; but they could choose to stay in school through 2022. I'm not aware of any other particularly noteworthy collegiate player who will be eligible to enter early. It has been established that a crown-jewel player like Rhyne Howard will not be eligible to be drafted in 2021.

I'm planning on doing a check-in poll of this exact nature before free agency after we know which team is awarded the #1 Pick – and after the NCAA WBB season has been in full swing (it is due to start on Nov. 25, which is when this poll is set to expire). By then we'll see how things look with regards to: certain players' rising/falling draft stock, how well (or not) the teams these players are on are doing, and the state of the country in general amidst this pandemic – let's hope the season doesn't have too many bumps in the road and all teams are able to play the games on their schedule.

American collegiate premier prospects:
Charli Collier, 6'5 C/F, Texas
Rennia Davis, 6'2 F/G, Tennessee
Dana Evans, 5'6 PG, Louisville
Natasha Mack, 6'4 F/C, Oklahoma State
Aari McDonald, 5'6 G, Arizona
Michaela Onyenwere, 6'0 F, UCLA
Didi Richards, 6'1 F/G, Baylor
Evina Westbrook, 6'0 G, UConn

International premier prospects:
Awak Kuier, 6'4 C, Finland
Iliana Rupert, 6'4 C, France

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/18/20 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/17/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's so hard. Nobody has really even established themselves as a Lottery pick, let alone #1. Add in all the uncertainty with COVID-related eligibility, speculating about the Draft is going to be pretty difficult for the next few years. Of the players guaranteed to be eligible, I think Kuier has the most potential. But drafting an International at #1 is always risky.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/17/20 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
That's so hard. Nobody has really even established themselves as a Lottery pick, let alone #1. Add in all the uncertainty with COVID-related eligibility, speculating about the Draft is going to be pretty difficult for the next few years. Of the players guaranteed to be eligible, I think Kuier has the most potential. But drafting an International at #1 is always risky.

It definitely is. There's so much we don't know when it comes to this coming Draft. And choosing someone also can depend on what kind of year a person thinks players will have. Players are always capable of breaking out big time in their senior year. I think Collier not only early-declares (as a result of her liking some tweets about the subject here & there) but has a good year under a new system. I think Westbrook has a good year under her new team but has not been as obvious as Collier has about potentially leaving early. The rest could have good or bad years. Throw in the relatively unknown international-prospect possibilities and the persistence of the global pandemic we're all in, and it's never been harder to guess.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/17/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This pretty much emphasizes the point that we're looking at another weak year...

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/17/20 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After thinking it over, Collier being the Draft's only stretch-5 by way of early-declaring does seem like the most prone to go #1 when one considers each of the lottery teams' needs. Every lottery team needs help in the post, other than maybe Indiana. But it'd be particularly interesting if Indiana wins the Lottery and picks Collier anyway (since Marianne Stanley as does darn near everyone wants the post players to be able to shoot), cuz that would probably make way for McCowan to be traded.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/17/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seem to be more skeptical about Collier than most. She's got a WNBA body and the rebounding is definitely there, but I'm not stunned by her offensive stats. Specifically, that .181 A/TO is objectively bad even for a center.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/17/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I seem to be more skeptical about Collier than most. She's got a WNBA body and the rebounding is definitely there, but I'm not stunned by her offensive stats. Specifically, that .181 A/TO is objectively bad even for a center.

The ATO is bad, but I'm more skeptical about her low 2PT% from last season of a little over 45%. Legit WNBA-prospect centers tend to make at least 50% of their 2PT attempts. However, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here because I really think Karen Aston's lack of coaching ability held her (and certainly Joyner Holmes, who shot even worse than Collier) back. Imo Texas is going from a below-average coach to a great coach, so I think Vic Schaefer will figure out how to bring out better play from her. If it means taking less 3s, that's fine, since she has already shown that she has that shot in her arsenal (her 3PT shooting was much healthier at a 35% clip on 2.5 attempts per game). She just needs to be better inside the arc in general, but certainly around the rim. Most collegiate post players seem to put up bad ATOs, so I'm willing to overlook that (and I think GMs would in a Draft like this, too) assuming it doesn't improve a whole lot – so long as she can get her shooting numbers up.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/18/20 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a little research it appears both

Shakira Austin and Queen Egbo are born in 1999 and could declare next year.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/18/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
After a little research it appears both

Shakira Austin and Queen Egbo are born in 1999 and could declare next year.

Thanks for the heads-up, J-Spoon! I could see Austin pulling the trigger and early-declaring, but only if she doesn't have to sit out this season… for Ole Miss. (Still can't believe she did that. Shocked )

Egbo I'm guessing returns for her senior year, but, we've long established how it's no secret as to how weak this Draft is on post players. If she were to declare, depending on the kind of season she's about to have with no Lauren Cox playing alongside her, she might be in the mix to be taken #1 overall imo…

tfan

PostPosted: 10/18/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only saw her once or twice, but Davis seemed to have WNBA size and athleticism, so got my vote. But I am not familiar with most of them.

McDonald is the one I have seen the most. She is very quick, enough to dominate some games - 44 points versus Texas and 34 versus Oregon last year. But she doesn't shoot much from three, less than 2 a game, and she doesn't shoot threes that well (0.28 and 0.27 at Arizona). And she isn't that tall, listed 5'7" at Washington and 5'6" at Arizona. I went to Washington's website to see if they had a team roster photo in order to compare her height with Plum. It turns out they did:

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/19/20 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UGH. I sure do miss literally everyone on the roster from that year – all of their Husky playing careers are officially over with now. Crying or Very sad Kelsey Plum's latter two collegiate seasons sure were special… Fast-forward to now, where we only have shit players and shit coaches in a shit program. *siiiiigh*

Anyways, Plum's final collegiate game (vs. Mississippi State in the Sweet 16) appears to still be uploaded on Y**T*** if anyone really wants to compare Plum & McDonald firsthand. McDonald even makes a couple 3s in that game. That roster picture, while it's a great aerial shot, isn't particularly helpful with allowing us to compare players' individual heights. Razz

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/19/20 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, we can tell that Osahor and Strother are big. Otherwise, it's mostly an angle for Busby Berkeley fans.

PostPosted: 10/19/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

I really think Collier needs to stay in college for two years and see what actual coaching can do for her. Aston is/was a terrible coach and developer of talent. Collier has elite talent and now she'll have elite coaching to go along with it.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/19/20 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I really think Collier needs to stay in college for two years and see what actual coaching can do for her. Aston is/was a terrible coach and developer of talent. Collier has elite talent and now she'll have elite coaching to go along with it.
\

+2 Collier could benefit a little...from Vic's coaching . Mccowan went from terrible to ok under him with her rebounding effort so i guess she can give 2 more years. Doubtful though there's a video Shades posted a while back of her recognizing the big pay raise in the WNBA and how enticing entering early will be for her. She knows she's eligible and i fully expect for her to declare . Just my 2 cents as history says they do more so than not excluding Plum & Ionescu. What's Howards status ? She's the coveted pick of the future !

PostPosted: 10/19/20 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I went to most of UW's home games that season, and McDonald was visibly smaller than Plum, for sure.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/20 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I only saw her once or twice, but Davis seemed to have WNBA size and athleticism, so got my vote. But I am not familiar with most of them.

I've seen all of her college games. Her athleticism is off the charts but she's a horrible defender. She's got to do some work on that before she's a legit #1 pick.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/19/20 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I went to most of UW's home games that season, and McDonald was visibly smaller than Plum, for sure.

Adding on to this: Plum was once listed at 5'9, and now she's at 5'8. McDonald was once listed at 5'7, and now she's at 5'6. Laughing So it looks like no matter what each of their true height is, McDonald is approx. two inches shorter than Plum! For what it's worth, since guards are pretty much all just considered short if they're 5'8 or below.

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've seen all of [Davis'] college games. Her athleticism is off the charts but she's a horrible defender. She's got to do some work on that before she's a legit #1 pick.

Interesting, thanks for the input. As someone who admittedly hasn't watched Rennia Davis a whole lot, I guess I just assumed she had that Lady Vol defensive toughness to her. Hopefully she improves that this coming season. Otherwise, maybe she isn't as good a fit for the Fever as I thought she could be (since the Fever themselves are horrible, despite one Tamika Catchings in the front office).

WNBA 09 wrote:
What's Howards status ? She's the coveted pick of the future !

She is ineligible for the 2021 Draft. Sad Apparently she will not turn the magic age of 22 until April of 2022.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 10/20/20 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Adding on to this: Plum was once listed at 5'9, and now she's at 5'8. McDonald was once listed at 5'7, and now she's at 5'6. Laughing So it looks like no matter what each of their true height is, McDonald is approx. two inches shorter than Plum! For what it's worth, since guards are pretty much all just considered short if they're 5'8 or below.

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've seen all of [Davis'] college games. Her athleticism is off the charts but she's a horrible defender. She's got to do some work on that before she's a legit #1 pick.

Interesting, thanks for the input. As someone who admittedly hasn't watched Rennia Davis a whole lot, I guess I just assumed she had that Lady Vol defensive toughness to her. Hopefully she improves that this coming season. Otherwise, maybe she isn't as good a fit for the Fever as I thought she could be (since the Fever themselves are horrible, despite one Tamika Catchings in the front office).

WNBA 09 wrote:
What's Howards status ? She's the coveted pick of the future !

She is ineligible for the 2021 Draft. Sad Apparently she will not turn the magic age of 22 until April of 2022.

IMO she’s a lottery pick but as stated she needn’t improve her defense and I think she’s entirely capable of doing that. She improved last year under a new coach so I’m excited to see what happens this year. Kellie Harper didn’t turn them into a defensive nor offensive juggernaut in one season but she fixed some lingering issues with not only David but the other players as well. Look to see them have a pretty good season this year.

PostPosted: 10/20/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
IMO she’s a lottery pick but as stated she needs to improve her defense and I think she’s entirely capable of doing that. She improved last year under a new coach so I’m excited to see what happens this year. Kellie Harper didn’t turn them into a defensive nor offensive juggernaut in one season but she fixed some lingering issues with not only Davis but the other players as well. Look to see them have a pretty good season this year.

Davis' shooting also has room for growth, but she actually put up a decent 3PT% in her sophomore year (37%, as opposed to below 30% last season). It'd be nice if she could at least bring that number back to her sophomore-year %. Hopefully playing in Harper's system hasn't held her shooting back.

Looking at the poll results now, more people than I would've thought have gone with Davis. I noticed Collier got more early votes, but she and Davis are tied as of now – very interesting... Several prospects out there that I'm gonna have to follow even closer now than I was planning on this season, which is *checks calendar* only 36 days away from starting. 😩

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 10/20/20 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
IMO she’s a lottery pick but as stated she needs to improve her defense and I think she’s entirely capable of doing that. She improved last year under a new coach so I’m excited to see what happens this year. Kellie Harper didn’t turn them into a defensive nor offensive juggernaut in one season but she fixed some lingering issues with not only Davis but the other players as well. Look to see them have a pretty good season this year.

Davis' shooting also has room for growth, but she actually put up a decent 3PT% in her sophomore year (37%, as opposed to below 30% last season). It'd be nice if she could at least bring that number back to her sophomore-year %. Hopefully playing in Harper's system hasn't held her shooting back.

Looking at the poll results now, more people than I would've thought have gone with Davis. I noticed Collier got more early votes, but she and Davis are tied as of now – very interesting... Several prospects out there that I'm gonna have to follow even closer now than I was planning on this season, which is *checks calendar* only 36 days away from starting. 😩

I’m excited. I definitely think Collier COULD come out but I think she stays another year. I actually don’t think any of the post players should leave early this year. I really want them to stay another year.

I’ve also seen where winter athletes will be given an additional year of eligibility if they’d like to us it. I wonder if there are players who will take this option if they are worried about needing more time to prove themselves

PostPosted: 10/20/20 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

I’m excited. I definitely think Collier COULD come out but I think she stays another year. I actually don’t think any of the post players should leave early this year. I really want them to stay another year.

I’ve also seen where winter athletes will be given an additional year of eligibility if they’d like to us it. I wonder if there are players who will take this option if they are worried about needing more time to prove themselves

Has there been word that they're counting College Basketball as a winter sport to include them as well ?

PostPosted: 10/20/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

Has there been word that they're counting College Basketball as a winter sport to include them as well ?

College basketball has always been considered a winter sport. Only the IOC calls it anything else.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: