Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/14/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another step back , we will forever be a tweener team . Embarassed

PostPosted: 10/14/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He had a year left on his contract. If I was an owner I would hate to pay a coach for not coaching, which is what I think happens now. Hate it enough that I wouldn't do it with just a year left on a coach that has two championships on his resume. But the owner is already paying for a coach and a GM when you only need one.

I guess it is either the coach or the GM and the GM was able to make it the coach this time. Since Agler has won championships with other teams it would seem to show that it is the talent level. But they have had good players demand out. In retrospect they should have traded Cambage without ever trying to get her to join the team.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/20 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the third time Agler has left a team with time left on his contract. Neither of the first two seem terribly upset about it.

PostPosted: 10/14/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This is the third time Agler has left a team with time left on his contract. Neither of the first two seem terribly upset about it.

I know you were smiling like the Grinch!! Laughing

PostPosted: 10/14/20 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing Pilight just doesn't care for Agler, despite the legitimacy of his accomplishments. Rolling Eyes No, Agler didn't end up being the right fit for these Wings since he's truly a veterans' coach, but maybe a team like Atlanta cans Nicki Collen now and calls Agler up since they have a few more vets to work with than Dallas. Wink

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/14/20 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/14/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may be that Agler will land somewhere else, so the year on the contract is a moot point.

Or there may be other parts to the story that we don't know ...

PostPosted: 10/14/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It may be that Agler will land somewhere else, so the year on the contract is a moot point.

So long as he didn't have relations with another player, allegedly. (Kinda feel like we as a community didn't talk about that enough at the time... Shocked )

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/14/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ClayK wrote:

So long as he didn't have relations with another player, allegedly. (Kinda feel like we as a community didn't talk about that enough at the time... Shocked )

I don't know if that has anything to do with this (I'm guessing not), but it did seem like that allegation appeared and then disappeared unusually quietly.

PostPosted: 10/14/20 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing Pilight just doesn't care for Agler, despite the legitimacy of his accomplishments. Rolling Eyes No, Agler didn't end up being the right fit for these Wings since he's truly a veterans' coach, but maybe a team like Atlanta cans Nicki Collen now and calls Agler up since they have a few more vets to work with than Dallas. Wink

I think Agler is overrated. He's a competent coach, nothing more.

PostPosted: 10/14/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure who exactly was responsible for the draft, but I thought whoever it was did a good job. Nobody expected this baby team to win that many games this year. Maybe there was disagreement about what needs to be done in the off season.

- Amanda Gorman
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 10/14/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plez get a good coach. Throughout my fandom of the W, my teams have had terrible coaches. I’d like to cash in some of the IOUs the universe owes me to balance this out over the next 24 seasons please.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Not sure who exactly was responsible for the draft, but I thought whoever it was did a good job. Nobody expected this baby team to win that many games this year. Maybe there was disagreement about what needs to be done in the off season.

"The Wings show promise but are plagued by youthful inconsistency, and miss the playoffs again" was literally ESPN's worst case scenario for Dallas

PostPosted: 10/14/20 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:

"The Wings show promise but are plagued by youthful inconsistency, and miss the playoffs again" was literally ESPN's worst case scenario for Dallas

well, I don't see it as the coaching that was the problem. They clearly need a true big to compete. Throwing a bunch of PFs in there just doesn't cut it. And as much as Harris stepped up (more than I expected) they need a veteran PG as well. Hard to do much when both those positions are waiting to be filled. If you have a PG and a BIG, you can fudge a little in the middle between the two but it's hard to fudge at either of those positions. They had lots in the middle but not enough on the ends. JMO.
It was better for them to miss the playoffs and get in the lottery anyway. Maybe they get lucky and move up. They need to make a strong bid for one of the FAs available this year.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/14/20 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My very inside the box uninspired thought; assistant coaches, turned head coaches with mediocre results, return to assistant coaching on successful teams get retread head coaching opportunity.

Klopp or VJ

I am sure this will get a tepid to poor reaction but it feels realistic.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/15/20 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I happen to think Klopp is a good coach, but I believe he was already fired once by this same management group when they were in Tulsa.

PostPosted: 10/15/20 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I happen to think Klopp is a good coach, but I believe he was already fired once by this same management group when they were in Tulsa.

I knew he had coached Tulsa I didn't realize it was the same people

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/15/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So, I just checked. I didn't realize Klopp was with Tulsa back in 2012-2013. Where did the years go? It looks like the principal owner, Bill Cameron is the same. However, Greg Bibb didn't arrive until 2014 or 2015. A third owner joined when the franchise moved to Dallas. So, maybe it depends on how Cameron feels.

PostPosted: 10/15/20 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:

So, I just checked. I didn't realize Klopp was with Tulsa back in 2012-2013. Where did the years go? It looks like the principal owner, Bill Cameron is the same. However, Greg Bibb didn't arrive until 2014 or 2015. A third owner joined when the franchise moved to Dallas. So, maybe it depends on how Cameron feels.

Hard Pass on Klop.

PostPosted: 10/15/20 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they lean hard into the 'build around Notre Dame products' thing and see if Muffet McGraw is actually retired...

PostPosted: 10/15/20 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were a prospective coach, I would not want to work under Bibb.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/15/20 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sportsarefromvenus.com/2020/10/14/crystal-robinson-should-replace-brian-agler-as-the-wings-head-coach/

Quote:

Arike Ogunbowale said it best about Robinson at a media availability earlier this season:

“She helps everybody with everything. She is a great shooting coach, a great basketball coach. She has a great basketball mind. She’s been in our position. She’s played in the WNBA for years, been in WNBA championships, like done all that. She knows basketball, been overseas, so we can relate to her really really well. She loves us, she supports us with everything, always has our back. As I said, she’s one of the smartest basketball minds I’ve known and she’s hilarious, she really helps the team a lot, just her energy and everything she brings to life. We wouldn’t have as much fun if Crystal wasn’t on the coaching staff.”

I wouldn't be mad at this choice , If Arike Says Yes then so do I !

PostPosted: 10/15/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C-Rob would be a great choice!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/16/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020/21 review/preview for the Wings, including salary cap details and analysis from myself (and the rest of it by another name you might recognise...): https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-0e0

PostPosted: 10/16/20 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
2020/21 review/preview for the Wings, including salary cap details and analysis from myself (and the rest of it by another name you might recognise...): https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-0e0

I am really enjoying these pieces, Richyy. The salary data is fantastic to see in one place and the analysis is great. Thanks for doing and posting them.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/16/20 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I am really enjoying these pieces, Richyy. The salary data is fantastic to see in one place and the analysis is great. Thanks for doing and posting them.

+1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: