Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/20 7:40 pm    ::: Seattle Storm 2021 Reply Reply with quote

SEATTLE STORM 2021:

Unrestricted free agents: Bird, Clark, Howard, Prince
Restricted free agents: Whitcomb
Other assets: 2021 Draft Picks (#11, #18 [CON], #23, #35); 2022 Draft Picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd)

PLAYER………………………………SALARY IN 2021
Bird…………………………………………………
Canada……………………………………………70,040
Clark………………………………………………
Howard……………………………………………
Laksa………………………………………………66,555
Langhorne………………………………………105,000
Loyd………………………………………………121,500
Magbegor………………………………………*70,040
Prince………………………………………………
Russell……………………………………………*70,040
Stewart……………………………………………190,500
Tuck………………………………………………115,000
Whitcomb………………………………………

Total……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………808,675
2021 Salary Cap (for each franchise)……………………………………………………………………………1,339,000

Remainder of Salary Cap……………………………………………………………………………………………………530,325

Remainder of Cap by cutting Langhorne……………………………………………………………………………635,325
Remainder of Cap by cutting Langhorne & Tuck………………………………………………………………750,325
Remainder of Cap by signing Bird to supermax………………………………………………………………308,875
Remainder of Cap by cutting Langhorne & Tuck and signing Bird to supermax……………528,875

*Educated guesses (overestimations at worst)

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/20 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to leave this here before I spend the rest of the night whooping it up. Cool I'm sure Richyyy will let me know if any of the salary numbers are off.

It’s hard to include any 2021 first-round picks when they’ve been international deferral picks the past two drafts. And 2021 is heavy on those and light on legitimate American collegiate prospects, so I’m assuming that 2021 first-rounder isn’t actually on the roster in 2021. Laksa though should be (unless she’s so bad in training camp that the Storm cut her loose Laughing ).

I’m willing to bet that at least one of Langhorne and Tuck is cut in order to gain some cap money back. I’m not as convinced both get let go, particularly Tuck since she might get the “injury” pass for this year and get another shot next year – which is upsetting but wouldn’t be surprising.

Still, cutting even Langhorne might give us enough money to re-sign Bird, Clark, and Howard should they all want to return. Maybe we core Howard if we feel that we have to; I’m sure teams will be courting her hard if she isn’t. If they want to keep Whitcomb (all of them, really, aside from maybe Prince), they really need to cut at least, say, 220k worth of cut-able salary. Wink I also wonder if Bird demands & thus gets a supermax, or if she takes a slight discount in order to accommodate everyone, considering she got paid in 2020 with her various endorsements and commercial deals. It’s hard to say. I hope Valavanis makes it so we at least have enough money to go with a 12-man roster, since Canada, Loyd, Magbegor, and Russell will all still be on cheap contracts.

Assuming we re-sign who we need to, it would still be nice if we could find some size & athleticism on the perimeter. We ought to draft a point guard or two with one of our picks since this is a guard-heavy draft; that could be a cheap replacement for Prince.

I don't know who's gonna stay and who will go, but I do know that teams will be after our free agents hard to prevent us from becoming a dynasty. Will we become one anyway? We'll seeeeeeee!

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/06/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, Seattle did it again! Mr. Green

I predicted SEA to win it all from the beginning and they did it Cool Congrats! Exclamation

The only question marks I had coming into the bubble were injury and age. How close to 100% would Stewart be and how would Sue look at almost 40. Well, Breanna played like a MVP and Sue played like she's 33! Razz Meanwhile, all the experience and development gained from last season with those 2 out helped greatly.

With that, multiple teams will get key players back next year. LV, CON, WAS, not to mention LA and PHO should be strong competitors for SEA in 2021. All loaded with talent and tall. If Seattle returns with all the same players, they still have a good chance to repeat, but that would be doing it the hard way... Confused

I'd like to see SEA get taller, to deal with players like Cambage, JJ, TC & EDD, Griner, and other teams with strong post combos like LA and CHI. And the more talent the better... as the other superteams will have starter-quality players coming off the bench, so the Storm should match that... Or, they could just do it the hard way, like before Razz

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/06/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need to re-sign Clark, Howard and Whitcomb, pretty much whatever it takes. Then hope Bird is willing to take a salary that makes that happen if she wants to come back, especially considering she probably plays way less than all the games. Tuck and Lang are both easy cuts.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they can work it out. My guess everyone comes back. If you go with 11 Howard and Clark can both get close to max, Bird maybe a little less but still a decent amount (If Clark and Howard get max would Bird be OK with say 175K for a final year in conjunction ideally with the Olympics?)

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb/pick 11
Clark/Laksa
Stewart/Magbegor
Howard/Russell

pick 11 (combo guard Slocum, Mangakahia, K. Williams, Carrington? slightly bigger Gray, Boley? this isn't a deep post draft)

or not so expensive 5th posts Achonwa, Plaisance, Alexander, Burdick, Coffey

or

if they can afford a 12th player they have a decent 2nd round pick, and there will probably be a bunch of usable options on the waiver wire

Last edited by J-Spoon on 10/06/20 8:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's hard to mess too much with what works, even if other teams are getting better. It's true they could use some more size in the post, but Russell has made some big strides there. I could see them signing more depth possibly just because (as Vegas found out) having only three posts if someone gets injured is a problem. And they probably need to try to pick a guard who can handle, because you don't know how much Bird will play, though Whitcomb can help out some minutes there.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Spotrac, Tuck is guaranteed.

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Spotrac is wrong. Again.

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Breanna Stewart: There's Plenty of alcohol in the bubble. Razz

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=666327844306456

Can't see 100% clearly on the livefeed, but it looks like Breanna is drinking actual champagne, not prosecco Laughing Arrow

Quote:
Elizabeth Cambage
@ecambage 19 d’abr.
champagne? but y’all celebrated with prosecco.....

https://twitter.com/ecambage/status/1251980365960318976?lang=ca

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/06/20 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Spotrac is wrong. Again.

They've been wrong on dollar amounts and they leave out players, but this would be the first time I'm aware of them being wrong about guarantees. If the original information came from Megdal, contract details are supposed to be the kind of insider stuff he's good at getting.

PostPosted: 10/06/20 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Spotrac is wrong. Again.

They've been wrong on dollar amounts and they leave out players, but this would be the first time I'm aware of them being wrong about guarantees. If the original information came from Megdal, contract details are supposed to be the kind of insider stuff he's good at getting.

Contracts guaranteed for Year X but not for Year Y are very unusual in this league (I believe Tuck's was the only one like that signed last offseason). Which could account for the error. If anyone ever did the 'tweet confirming new contract details' for Tuck, I can't find it. But I believe in my information.

PostPosted: 10/06/20 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what Howard will want to do. When she played without Stewart she showed what she can do, and she'll never really get that chance playing alongside the best player in the league. Will she want to go somewhere so she can show what she can do? She is 29, so this is likely her best remaining chance.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/07/20 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I wonder what Howard will want to do. When she played without Stewart she showed what she can do, and she'll never really get that chance playing alongside the best player in the league. Will she want to go somewhere so she can show what she can do? She is 29, so this is likely her best remaining chance.

I think a lot of teams would be willing to max out Howard based previous performances (I doubt NY, Atl, Indy or Dallas would think twice about it, not sure they can afford her but she could probably get PX or Chicago into the true contender realm).

because of that I think there is a 50/50 chance Seattle cores her.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/07/20 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
because of that I think there is a 50/50 chance Seattle cores her.

I was going to say they might do that too, but it raises the exact same issue that I talked about with Connecticut. There's another star player that will be an unrestricted free agent a year later (Stewart/JJones). So if you core the current UFA (Howard/AThomas) you either a) sign them for one year and then both are UFAs next year simultaneously and you can only core one, or b) you sign the current one for multiple years and the core spot is then tied up, preventing you from being able to core the other one next year.

In either case, they might feel like they're better off taking on the risk this year. Of course, they could core Howard (or AThomas, in Connecticut's case) and then offer nothing other than the one-year deal, but then you risk pissing off the player. Which would be bad too.

In all these cases, how confident the GM is that the player wants to stay is a big part of the equation, and from the outside we have basically no idea of the answer to that.

PostPosted: 10/08/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Seattle Storm’s all-female ownership group is paving the way
Quote:
Gilder, Trudeau, and Brummel make up one of just two all-female ownership groups in the WNBA. Their counterparts in that category, the two women who co-own the Atlanta Dream, have courted attention for all the wrong reasons this season, exactly three months ago, the day after the players arrived at the IMG campus to begin quarantine.
So, it was fitting that the season ended with the Storm owners covered in confetti and posing with the trophy. Because I truly believe they have paved the way forward for pro women’s sports.

https://www.powerplays.news/p/the-storm-way

PostPosted: 10/11/20 4:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ezi Magbegor interview
https://twitter.com/NBL1HQ/status/1315131650750074880

PostPosted: 10/11/20 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Ezi Magbegor interview
https://twitter.com/NBL1HQ/status/1315131650750074880

very nice.
she comes across as intelligent, mature and down to earth.

- Amanda Gorman
craigmont

PostPosted: 10/11/20 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont

PostPosted: 10/11/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article links to a lot of great Seattle Times coverage of the Storm's 4th championship:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/in-celebration-of-the-storms-fourth-championship-download-and-print-our-commemorative-poster/

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the WNBA salary cap might be the Seattle Storm's most challenging opponent

So let's say we give Bird & Howard supermax and Clark regular max. Assuming we cut Langhorne & Tuck, that still only leaves us with about $120k left. And that can't all go to just one player, such as Whitcomb – that would only put us at 10 players.

Quote:
One WNBA team executive speculated that Whitcomb could be in line for an offer sheet starting north of $150,000 per season, which would put her well out of the Storm's price range if the starting five returns intact.

No way of knowing how it'll all play out. But after reading that tidbit, it's all but a given that not everyone of value will be able to come back. I wouldn't blame the org. at all for, say, coring Howard with the sole intention of trading her, for example.

Quote:
Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats.com, who provided all the salary data for this piece

💯

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/12/20 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Kevin ended up at the same conclusion that I did, pretty much - that if the primary three come back, Whitcomb is probably gone. I'm still not sure who would actually give her that contract - 150k seems plausible until you start going team-by-team, at which point you start to wonder where - but unless someone takes a discount they've barely got enough to give Whitcomb the vet's minimum. Which surely isn't enough.

The coring idea remains complicated, because of the rule about the designation sticking for as long as the player remains on the team and under that contract. So if Howard signs for one year, she and Stewart would both be UFAs a year later (and they could only core one). Or if Howard signs for multiple years, they'd be unable to core Stewart next year. But as you say, they could also core her with the intention to trade (although she'd then be the one in control of where she's going). They could also sign her to a multi-year deal and trade her before the following season, thereby re-opening the core spot. Ultimately I think they probably do core her because she's too valuable not to.

PostPosted: 10/12/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
One WNBA team executive speculated that Whitcomb could be in line for an offer sheet starting north of $150,000 per season, which would put her well out of the Storm's price range if the starting five returns intact.

PostPosted: 10/12/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Why the WNBA salary cap might be the Seattle Storm's most challenging opponent

So let's say we give Bird & Howard supermax and Clark regular max. Assuming we cut Langhorne & Tuck, that still only leaves us with about $120k left. And that can't all go to just one player, such as Whitcomb – that would only put us at 10 players.

Quote:

No way of knowing how it'll all play out. But after reading that tidbit, it's all but a given that not everyone of value will be able to come back. I wouldn't blame the org. at all for, say, coring Howard with the sole intention of trading her, for example.

Quote:
Richard Cohen of HerHoopsStats.com, who provided all the salary data for this piece

💯

Interesting stuff. If you core Howard, you have to super-max her. If you don't, the most anyone can offer her is the 'regular' max? Am I understanding that right?

It worries me that this new structure is going to cause good veteran players to be cap casualties, and GM's are going to have to be an NFL kind of ruthless, looking to replace them as much as possible with players on rookie contracts.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter, these images LMAO how do you stay producing them like that Laughing Laughing

I mean, we could chance it & core Howard and re-sign her to a multi-year deal. So long as we're in the business of contending, I really don't think Stewie would have any interest going elsewhere once her current contract is up, since she damn near expects to win championships every year at this point (one might feel that Breanna Stewart is The Most Entitled Player in the League™️ as it relates to being at the top of the standings and winning it all, given her unique track record of winning championships. She did say she "took a two-year hiatus from winning" as a result of her first two years in the League when we were a middling team, after all. Laughing Also, never forget "Ambassador Stewie"!). Leaving the Storm would seem very counterintuitive to that priority, unless she thinks the front office will let our roster quality fall off a cliff after 2021. Even then, I don't think re-signing Howard to a close-to-supermax multi-year deal would take a core designation to get done anyway.

Now, if Howard simply wants to be a superstar player (or if the front office thinks she feels that way), then core her and trade her for whatever you can get. The team having to trade away a really good player for various lesser parts will never be the winner of that trade imo, but it's better than letting that player simply walk to potentially another contender for nothing.

Last edited by Stormeo on 10/12/20 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/12/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Interesting stuff. If you core Howard, you have to super-max her. If you don't, the most anyone can offer her is the 'regular' max? Am I understanding that right?

The core designation comes with an automatic one-year supermax offer, but the team and player are free to negotiate a lower and/or longer deal if they want to. The core designation then sticks to that player for the length of the deal, unless the player is traded/waived/retires. Coring a player blocks them from negotiating or signing with anyone else.

The most any other team can offer regardless is the standard max, hence the move we saw last season from DeWanna Bonner where she was a true UFA but got Connecticut to sign-and-trade for her anyway, because that was the only way she could get the supermax.

Max next year is $190,550, supermax is $221,450, just for reference.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: