RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amy Coney Barrett SCOTUS Hearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/12/20 8:21 am    ::: Amy Coney Barrett SCOTUS Hearing Reply Reply with quote

Just seems like something is wrong with determining if someone is qualified to be a Supreme Court Judge while she is wearing a face mask.

I remember the piggy faces that Kavanaugh made every time he was lying. I want to see the faces that she is/may be making.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/12/20 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grassley is difficult to listen to.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/12/20 11:42 am    ::: Re: Amy Coney Barrett SCOTUS Hearing Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Just seems like something is wrong with determining if someone is qualified to be a Supreme Court Judge while she is wearing a face mask.

I remember the piggy faces that Kavanaugh made every time he was lying. I want to see the faces that she is/may be making.

I'd rather watch someone who's wearing a face mask instead of someone who refuses to wear one. Just saying.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/12/20 6:15 pm    ::: Re: Amy Coney Barrett SCOTUS Hearing Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I'd rather watch someone who's wearing a face mask instead of someone who refuses to wear one. Just saying.

Maybe she she could get a clear face mask?

Howee

PostPosted: 10/12/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I believe this round will be quite pedantic. What's to debate? Re: mask/no mask? I think she oughtta be wearing a costume out of The Handmaid's Tale.

PostPosted: 10/13/20 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Personally, I believe this round will be quite pedantic. What's to debate? Re: mask/no mask? I think she oughtta be wearing a costume out of The Handmaid's Tale.

She has had on reddish dresses both days.😲

Shades

PostPosted: 10/13/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Doh! Anybody do any photoshopping yet?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/14/20 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did like what she said during her opening statement:

Quote:
...And I would be the only sitting justice who didn't attend law school at Harvard or Yale. I am confident that Notre Dame will hold its own, and maybe I can teach them a thing or two about football.

Wink

PostPosted: 10/14/20 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was listening when Ben Sasse of Nebraska derided the Houston Astros as cheaters. It seemed like he was kidding but then he said it so many times and with "miserable" thrown in, I started to think he really was still upset about it. And he seemed to be using it in the present tense - still are cheaters. I expected to see that Houston played one of the Missouri teams in the 2018 or 2019 post season, but they didn't.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 10/15/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't see why anyone would have a problem with Amy Coney Barrett's confirmation. A brief setback for the left. 3 maybe 4 months of a 6-3 majority. Once Biden wins we're looking at a 10-6 majority (or higher) in the Supreme Court, so what's the problem?

Howee

PostPosted: 10/16/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cannot fully follow these hearings -- entirely too pedantic and political -- so I bring a question here for those of you who might.

I have heard snippets, such as Cornyn's assertion that ACB is being "assaulted" for her beliefs as a woman of faith. Hyperbolic, I'd say, but....maybe I missed something.

What I'd LIKE to know, has ANYONE asked her if she comprehends the importance of her role -- ANY judge's role -- in making profound legal decisions that IMPACT THE LIVES OF MILLIONS OF HINDI, BUDDHIST, SIKH, MUSLIM, BAPTIST, EPISCOPALIAN, JAINIST, ZOROASTRIAN, LUTHERAN, NATIVE SPIRITUALIST, WICCAN, OR ATHEISTS , and can she keep her personal religious views in check when deciding such things??

PostPosted: 10/16/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a funny thing. In 2016, Amy Coney Barrett said a nominee to the supreme court in the last year of a president's term should not be “someone who could dramatically flip the balance of power on the court." Therefore, we should expect her to try to adhere to the judicial philosophy of Justice Ginsburg if she's confirmed.

PostPosted: 10/16/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Here's a funny thing. In 2016, Amy Coney Barrett said a nominee to the supreme court in the last year of a president's term should not be “someone who could dramatically flip the balance of power on the court." Therefore, we should expect her to try to adhere to the judicial philosophy of Justice Ginsburg if she's confirmed.

IIRC her philosophy was that the courts should have a larger role in legislation. One would think that with a 6-3 Conservative majority, legislative power would be the last thing those on the opposing end of the political spectrum would want for the SCOTUS.

The best outcome would be that she follows Constitutional law and judges impartially.

If that ends up being the case I wouldn't consider her someone who dramatically flips the balance of power.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/16/20 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
If that ends up being the case I wouldn't consider her someone who dramatically flips the balance of power.

Is there any reason for you to actually believe that that's going to end up being the case, other than you giving her a benefit of the doubt, that she hasn't earned?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 10/19/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Is there any reason for you to actually believe that that's going to end up being the case, other than you giving her a benefit of the doubt, that she hasn't earned?

What part of her body of work would make you believe otherwise? Do you believe that Roe vs Wade is all of a sudden getting struck down?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/21/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do we need to know any more about her? 👿

Quote:
“When any member of the judiciary affiliates themselves with an institution that is committed to discrimination on any ground, it is important to look more closely at how that affects the individual’s ability to give all cases a fair hearing,” Goldberg said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/21/amy-coney-barrett-trustee-private-school-anti-gay-policies/3715101001/

Howee

PostPosted: 10/25/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn.

This woman's story makes Christina Blasey Ford's testimony look like a standup comic's routine.

Certainly appears to be a dim future for female Americans. Mad

PostPosted: 10/26/20 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's exactly what her testimony was. Comedy.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/26/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrett is confirmed, to the shock of no one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: