RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/05/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of the team-by-team previews, which include 2021 cap sheets. The projections and explanations of the cap situations is by me, the other stuff generally isn't.

Starts with Chicago: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts

PostPosted: 10/05/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So when it comes to Chicago or any other team, trades can be made before the deadline that teams have to use their core designation on a player, correct? The Storm’s Swin Cash-to-Chicago trade came as early as January 2 of 2012, for example.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/05/20 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely, yes. That Chicago section, as stipulated at the start, was written on the basis of them not making any trades. The Sky could trade away Dolson for a box of hair, as some people around here think they ought to, and then they'd have room to core Parker if they wanted to.

PostPosted: 10/05/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got it, thanks! Idk why I was under the impression that that had changed sometime between 2012 and now. Maybe it’s just cuz those early-year trades have been so rare. (And maybe we’ll see more of that now that teams may have to get creative to build an affordable yet solid roster).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/05/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Believe me, you're not the only one somewhat confused in this area. Exactly when you're allowed and not allowed to make trades is one of those things that isn't actually specified in the CBA. There's an explicit moratorium on teams and players negotiating or signing anything at any point from the end of the regular season until January 31st (apart from players just signing their qualifying offers), but nothing about timing of trades. We obviously have a 'trade deadline' every year, but as far as I've found there's no public 'trade reopening' date.

Purely from history, my guess is that they become legal again January 1st, because as you say we have seen January trades in past years. That would make sense, because each 'Salary Cap Year' begins on the relevant January 1st. So the trade deadline would therefore end trades for that Salary Cap Year, and they'd become legal again once the next one begins. Just one of the many things they could make clear very easily, but don't.

PostPosted: 10/05/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Absolutely, yes. That Chicago section, as stipulated at the start, was written on the basis of them not making any trades. The Sky could trade away Dolson for a box of hair, as some people around here think they ought to, and then they'd have room to core Parker if they wanted to.

Thanks Richyyy. Guilty as charged! Hair weaves makes any woman BELIEVES that she is gorgeous. Hey! Laughing Cool

PostPosted: 10/08/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Next's (Howard Megdal) take on the team by team salary situation:
https://thenext.substack.com/p/the-next-presents-your-2020-wnba

PostPosted: 10/09/20 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got into how the new CBA and altered salary structure means you can't keep veterans around like you used to. Phoenix are the example case used, but it's a general concept and point. I promise it's shorter than many of my other pieces Wink.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/beware-the-coming-wnba-cap-crunch

Quote:
You see, whereas you used to be able to sign your entire veteran core of at least six players for around the maximum and then fill out your roster, Phoenix's four max/supermax contracts would account for 64% of the team cap. That doesn't leave the same room to maneuver that teams used to have.

PostPosted: 10/09/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A dire salary cap crunch: yet another reason Phoenix could be considering trading away Brittney Griner...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/09/20 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
A dire salary cap crunch: yet another reason Phoenix could be considering trading away Brittney Griner...

Hopefully , but i wont get my hopes up on a team trading away their future centerpiece . If anything hurts its probably Hartley's Contract !

PostPosted: 10/11/20 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Phoenix will not trade Griner. Unless she does not want to be a part of the organization anymore.

PostPosted: 11/29/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Anyone have a running list or even just a good idea of which active players are no longer eligible to be cored? Or is it just Tina Charles and Candice Dupree? Also, which teams can't use their core designation this year due to a previously cored player still being under contract after their own core designation? Thanks in advance. Mr. Green

All answered, y'know, in the article.

Wasn’t sure if it was only Charles & Dupree - seemed like we’ve talked about others who are no longer eligible. Totally missed the Phoenix/Griner part somehow. Sorry. Thanks.

No problem. The other one who's come up in recent times is Bonner, who is no longer core-able but it's not really relevant because she also isn't a free agent. There are a few others in that situation (Griner, Fowles, Langhorne) who can't be cored when their current deals end.

Having said all that, I also missed one Smile. Candace Parker has played three years under the core designation according to the CBA, so is in the same boat as Charles and Dupree and can't be cored. Thanks for making me check!

First-thank you for all the work that went into creating that list. What a great guide. Much appreciated.

Second-and this is for the group. Of the UFA, which players do you see as being gone, who do you think stays no matter what, and who is anyone's guesss?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/02/20 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Phoenix will not trade Griner. Unless she does not want to be a part of the organization anymore.

Or unless Taurasi (and others) does not want her to be part of the organization any longer...

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/06/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Hopefully , but i wont get my hopes up on a team trading away their future centerpiece . If anything hurts its probably Hartley's Contract !

I see Neka going to NY and Cambage heading to LA!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/06/21 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless they're entirely confident she's coming back anyway, I expect Vegas to core Cambage. In which case she'd have to force a trade to get to LA.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Unless they're entirely confident she's coming back anyway, I expect Vegas to core Cambage. In which case she'd have to force a trade to get to LA.

It's hard to imagine anyone being entirely confident about Cambage doing anything

PostPosted: 01/06/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I totally forgot about them being able to core her, however, I actually had a weird dream the other night that she ends up in LA, that's why I think it may be possible.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/06/21 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I totally forgot about them being able to core her, however, I actually had a weird dream the other night that she ends up in LA, that's why I think it may be possible.

Well can you dream about the Powerball numbers..

PostPosted: 01/06/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Well can you dream about the Powerball numbers..

I need to get my tickets first 🤓

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/12/21 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope GM Wade has studied every sales technique known to mankind. Because he needs to wheel and deal if he wants his team to compete for a championship in 2021. His sales pitch technique should be so smooth that he can sell sand to people living in Saudi Arabia. His sales pitch technique should convince a person that can't swim that they can walk on water.
When he gets on the phone with other GMs he should have them begging to give him what he wants.
ALWAYS
BE
CLOSING

PostPosted: 01/13/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://winsidr.com/2021/01/2021-wnba-free-agency-preview/

pilight

PostPosted: 01/15/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The official list

https://www.wnba.com/free-agency-2021/

PostPosted: 01/15/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three players who could've received reserved/restricted qualifying offers appear to have been released by their teams instead, by the way - Cierra Burdick, Alaina Coates and Reshanda Gray. Everyone else got one.

The League, as ever, is completely ignoring the 'suspended-contract expired' players and hoping no ones notices (or not caring if they do). For a constantly updated free agency list/tracker that includes them, you could always go here instead: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-free-agency-tracker-live-updating

PostPosted: 01/15/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The League, as ever, is completely ignoring the 'suspended-contract expired' players and hoping no ones notices (or not caring if they do). For a constantly updated free agency list/tracker that includes them, you could always go here instead: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-free-agency-tracker-live-updating

There are some pretty key players on that “Suspended - Contract Expired” Players list whom people would definitely want to know the contract status of. By not including them, the League continues to shoot itself in the foot here with the missed opportunity of drumming up mystery & intrigue for their situations with the media & the fans as well. Confused

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/17/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It appears the League is now, uhh... 'attempting,' to address them originally leaving this part out? Earlier this morning they tweeted out this:

Quote:
#WNBA Free Agency Expired Contracts Update:

Separate and apart from the various categories of free agents are players whose team maintains their exclusive negotiating rights in 2021.

Such players are those who opted out or otherwise did not participate for the final season of their contract. Players with expired contracts are free to negotiate contracts with their own team but they may not negotiate with any other WNBA teams.

...But then proceeded to not list the players who fall under this category?? There's even a place for it at the bottom of the Free Agency 2021 list but it doesn't list any names?? Rolling Eyes At this point, they may as well just insert the link to herhoopstats coverage of Free Agency instead – it would save everyone some time & some trouble. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: