Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/07/20 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Some of you guys say you're hesitant to put out your own opinions but sure are quick to offer counterarguments to those of us that are. Laughing I don't really understand why, since none of our collective speculations truly matter lmao, especially with this much uncertainty.

It wasn't so quick, I waited like 3 hours. Wink

Basically, it comes down to not having enough confidence to predict anything. The reason it's so easy to knock down other people's ideas is because I can probably knock down all ideas -- including my own. Liberty management said they like the players on their roster. They also like the players who opted out. They also intend to be aggressive in the free agent and trade markets. And that doesn't even include the draft. The Liberty will need a 20-player roster to accommodate everybody. Hopkins said this past season was about the young players, but he gave most of the minutes to his veterans. He said they were going to play small ball, but New York almost exclusively used two posts. Then after the season, he insisted that using Zahui and Stokes together was never the plan and that they will go back to small-ball. As for our concerns about defensive mismatches, Walt hinted at special adjustments they were going to make to protect the SFs playing PF. However, on the rare occasions that New York actually went small, it looked like the undersized post was just left to fend for herself. Hopkins later said they don't like to send double-teams. OK, then what are the adjustments?

This is why I have no confidence predicting what they will do. Back when Laimbeer was here, the guy had a track record and he also told you his philosophy as well as the type of players he liked. Bill was fairly consistent. Yes, there were some changes over time -- like he seemed to become more accepting of small guards. Still, I felt well informed when it came to forecasting what Laimbeer would do. With Hopkins/Kolb, the rhetoric and the actions don't match. I'm sure they'll tell you that their plans were disrupted by players opting-out and because of the odd circumstances of this season. Fair enough. But it still leaves us fans scratching our heads and wondering.

I agree but

my reaction instead of making no predictions is to basically make every prediction.

... which is one of the things I enjoy about the NY threads. There's always ideas being tossed around.

PostPosted: 10/07/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And to be fair, while it sometimes can leave the impression that they're not sure what they're doing, being flexible is exactly what you want from your front office and coaching staff. They should like the people they've got under contract to at least some extent. But you should be aggressive in free agency, because if, say, Liz Cambage, Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray all say they want to come to New York this offseason, then screw the youth movement (and the small-ball movement) and go win now. There are definitely plenty of things to criticise about the Liberty this year, but being unpredictable is mostly a good thing. It means they can pivot in whichever direction looks like the most profitable.

PostPosted: 10/08/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And to be fair, while it sometimes can leave the impression that they're not sure what they're doing, being flexible is exactly what you want from your front office and coaching staff. They should like the people they've got under contract to at least some extent. But you should be aggressive in free agency, because if, say, Liz Cambage, Nneka Ogwumike and Chelsea Gray all say they want to come to New York this offseason, then screw the youth movement (and the small-ball movement) and go win now. There are definitely plenty of things to criticise about the Liberty this year, but being unpredictable is mostly a good thing. It means they can pivot in whichever direction looks like the most profitable.

I love this speculation, thanks Wink

Gray/Clarendon
Ionescu/Durr/Jones
Nurse/Walker (or Willoughby or Odom lol)
Ogwumike/Allen
Cambage/Charli Collier/Stokes

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/10/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion the only way Amanda Zahui B is on the Liberty next year
is if she is cored. Is she worth Max ?

PostPosted: 10/11/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Not only no, but hell no ...

PostPosted: 10/11/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

Not only no, but hell no ...

If she is not cored then she will go to whichever team pays her the most money.

PostPosted: 10/11/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is the date that players have to be cored by for the 2021 season ?

PostPosted: 10/13/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
What is the date that players have to be cored by for the 2021 season ?

I don’t know if things have changed with the new CBA, but negotiations usually start 1/15 and signings begin 2/01.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/25/20 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bec Allen interview
https://www.facebook.com/tvhostbenibrahim/
Still sounds very keen on playing for (and living in) NY

PostPosted: 10/30/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020/21 review/preview for the New York Liberty. Cap details and analysis from me, all the rest from Gabe Ibrahim: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-5d7

PostPosted: 10/30/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
2020/21 review/preview for the New York Liberty. Cap details and analysis from me, all the rest from Gabe Ibrahim: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-5d7

Thanks, Richyyy; great job.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/31/20 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Thanks, Richyyy; great job.

Yes, thanks so much, Richyyy, for doing this terrific work and sharing it with all of us.

PostPosted: 11/08/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got some info on Sabrina's operation ...

She was with her high school coach, walking down a steep hill to Nation's for a burger when her coach noticed her limping. He said it's been eight weeks, you shoudn't be limping. She finally agreed to get it checked, and they found a small bone chip with some calcification and scraped it out. No tendon damage or anything. Pretty minor, all in all ...

PostPosted: 11/09/20 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Got some info on Sabrina's operation ...

She was with her high school coach, walking down a steep hill to Nation's for a burger when her coach noticed her limping. He said it's been eight weeks, you shoudn't be limping. She finally agreed to get it checked, and they found a small bone chip with some calcification and scraped it out. No tendon damage or anything. Pretty minor, all in all ...

Thanks for this report. Glad that's all it was.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: