RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 07/30/20 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Germany is concerned about an uptick in COVID-19 cases. (There are also concerned about young Germans going on vacation to other countries).

This is a comparison of what Germany is worried about versus the USA:

toad455

PostPosted: 08/02/20 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melbourne imposes curfew, enters stage 4 of restrictions.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/what-has-changed-in-melbourne-as-stage-4-coronavirus-restrictions-take-hold

Quote:
Premier Daniel Andrews has also declared a State of Disaster across the state from 6pm tonight.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/06/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More good news...

Virus Testing in the US Is Dropping, Even as Deaths Mount

Quote:
U.S. testing for the coronavirus is dropping even as infections remain high and the death toll rises by more than 1,000 a day, a worrisome trend that officials attribute largely to Americans getting discouraged over having to wait hours to get a test and days or weeks to find out the results.

An Associated Press analysis found that the number of tests per day slid 3.6% over the past two weeks to 750,000, with the count falling in 22 states. That includes places like Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri and Iowa where the percentage of positive tests is high and continuing to climb, an indicator that the virus is still spreading uncontrolled.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/935228?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2494263&faf=1#vp_1

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/06/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have traveled from NY to Boston twice during the pandemic to see my Mother both times I took a test not because I was symptomatic but just to be on the safe side as my Mother is 70

in June the clinic said results in 3-5 days it took 6

in July the clinic said results in 7-10 days it took 15

I called multiple time to get results and was told the labs were overwhelmed and taking much longer than they were supposed to.

I was fairly confident I wasn't sick and traveled the second time without knowing the results

both times I was negative

But what the hell is the point of taking a test if the results take 15 days!

I could have literally had it and recovered in that time. Or in my example getting the test to visit relatives unless I strictly quarantined for the 15 days I could have gotten the infection after taking the test and still endangered my Mother.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/06/20 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why can't Americans get the same test that all the athletes are getting where they get results the next day? Major issue with this pandemic and this country right now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/06/20 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Why can't Americans get the same test that all the athletes are getting where they get results the next day? Major issue with this pandemic and this country right now.

Most of the available test results can be done in a matter of hours. The problem is that there is a backlog of tests of days to weeks. The obvious answer to your question is that the pro athletes' tests are going to the head of the line. Until labs can multiply their facilities and staff to handle more tests in a timely fashion, nothing is going to change.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/10/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think we're all getting a little jaded about the numbers, but the US set a new national milestone over the weekend with >5,000,000 total cases of COVID-19. For some perspective, the US has...
4% of the world's population
25% of the world's cases
22% of the world's deaths.

All numbers from the Hopkins website, and yes, there are all kinds of reporting artifacts, but nowhere near enough to dismiss how terribly this country has done at managing this pandemic.

taropatch

PostPosted: 08/10/20 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the lowest case count back in April to now the fastest spreading cases (not highest count), Hawaii is in trouble. Here on the Big Island we have only 15 active cases, but Oahu is a step away from a "run away train". You may have already heard of it but I learned about a new metric today called the "reproduction number".

Quote:
“We are ‘super spreaders’,” said Dr. Scott Miscovich, the president and founder of Premier Medical Group Hawaii, who is running COVID testing sites. “National statistics show that for every one person that tests positive for corona­virus in Hawaii, the number of people that they are spreading to is the highest in the country.”

On Saturday, Hawaii’s reproduction number was 1.36, meaning people who test positive for coronavirus in the state will infect an average of 1.36 other people.

The reproduction rate of 1.36 is well above all other states. The next closest state was Montana with a rate of 1.13.

A rate above 1 means the virus will spread quickly. A rate below 1 means the virus will eventually stop spreading.

According to the data, Hawaii first rose above 1 on May 7, which was tied to the reopening of the local economy.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/10/hawaii-news/we-are-super-spreaders-says-dr-scott-miscovich/

Howee

PostPosted: 08/10/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
From the lowest case count back in April to now the fastest spreading cases (not highest count), Hawaii is in trouble. Here on the Big Island we have only 15 active cases, but Oahu is a step away from a "run away train". You may have already heard of it but I learned about a new metric today called the "reproduction number".

Quote:
“We are ‘super spreaders’,” said Dr. Scott Miscovich, the president and founder of Premier Medical Group Hawaii, who is running COVID testing sites. “National statistics show that for every one person that tests positive for corona­virus in Hawaii, the number of people that they are spreading to is the highest in the country.”

On Saturday, Hawaii’s reproduction number was 1.36, meaning people who test positive for coronavirus in the state will infect an average of 1.36 other people.

The reproduction rate of 1.36 is well above all other states. The next closest state was Montana with a rate of 1.13.

A rate above 1 means the virus will spread quickly. A rate below 1 means the virus will eventually stop spreading.

According to the data, Hawaii first rose above 1 on May 7, which was tied to the reopening of the local economy.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/10/hawaii-news/we-are-super-spreaders-says-dr-scott-miscovich/

Interesting. Especially when compared to New Zealand -- also an island population -- that has apparently eradicated it. I'm thinking Hawaii didn't/hasn't closed its borders yet??

PostPosted: 08/10/20 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Quote:

Interesting. Especially when compared to New Zealand -- also an island population -- that has apparently eradicated it. I'm thinking Hawaii didn't/hasn't closed its borders yet??

Tourists are still coming, of course the numbers are comparatively small to pre-pandemic. They (including returning islanders) are required to self-quarantine 14 days. Good luck with that. Daily a few arrests are made and publicized. With the explosion on Oahu, starting this week, neighbor islanders going to Honolulu need not quarantine, but in the other direction, Oahu folks must. I might add, South Pacificers especially Micronesians whose culture doesn't follow the rules especially at funerals are a significant problem. Though South Pacificers are only 4% of population, they constitute 23% of the cases.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/12/masks-florida-ban-billy-woods/

Quote:
On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/12/20 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/12/masks-florida-ban-billy-woods/

Quote:
On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

Of the many stupid things inherent in this policy, I have to question how the deputies are supposed to assess anyone as being high-risk. Are they going to be taking complete medical histories and given a checklist of conditions that elevate someone's risk? Or just assume that since conditions like HTN and DM make someone high-risk that more than 50% of their contacts fall into this category and therefore masks are appropriate more often than not?

You can't fix stupid.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/12/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
You can't fix stupid.

Nope. Can't fix it, but it CAN be exacerbated and glorified, as 45 has proven with his dip$hit rhetoric and politicization of it all. Even a good president can't eliminate our country's various forms of stupidity that are performed in the name of *patriotism*, but this one definitely knows how to cultivate it.

PostPosted: 08/26/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Experts feared the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally could be a superspreading event. More than 70 coronavirus cases are already linked to it

"More than 70 Covid-19 cases have now been linked to an event that drew thousands of tourists to a small South Dakota city earlier this month, CNN surveys of state health departments show.

The annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is a 10-day event that usually brings about 500,000 people to the city. This year, the rally attracted attendees on more than 460,000 vehicles, according to the state's transportation department.

Experts feared the rally, which drew people from all over the United States -- including coronavirus hotspots -- had the potential to become to become a spreading event, not just in the state but across the country. Sixty-one percent of counties in the US have been visited by someone who was at Sturgis"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-cases-trnd/index.html

Now 200,000 of those people are attending Bike Week in northern NH. The Gov issued an emergency order requiring masks in gatherings of more than 100 people.

You can't fix stupid. (<--Maybe I should just make that into a signature.)

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/27/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Experts feared the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally could be a superspreading event. More than 70 coronavirus cases are already linked to it

"More than 70 Covid-19 cases have now been linked to an event that drew thousands of tourists to a small South Dakota city earlier this month, CNN surveys of state health departments show.

The annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is a 10-day event that usually brings about 500,000 people to the city. This year, the rally attracted attendees on more than 460,000 vehicles, according to the state's transportation department.

Experts feared the rally, which drew people from all over the United States -- including coronavirus hotspots -- had the potential to become to become a spreading event, not just in the state but across the country. Sixty-one percent of counties in the US have been visited by someone who was at Sturgis"
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-cases-trnd/index.html

Now 200,000 of those people are attending Bike Week in northern NH. The Gov issued an emergency order requiring masks in gatherings of more than 100 people.

You can't fix stupid. (<--Maybe I should just make that into a signature.)

PostPosted: 08/27/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young People Fueling Recent Spike of Coronavirus in Americas

Young people are driving the spread of the coronavirus in the Americas, the head of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) said on Tuesday, noting that both deaths and caseloads have doubled in the region over the past six weeks. Dr. Carissa Etienne chastised governments that have rushed economic re-openings despite data that shows a worsening pandemic...detailing what she described as a "real disconnect" between the relaxation of containment measures and the continuing spread of the virus. The PAHO is the Washington-based Americas arm of the U.N. World Health Organization.

Since July, coronavirus cases in the Americas have more than doubled to about 12 million confirmed infections, while deaths have shot up by roughly the same rate to some 450,000, according to PAHO data. Etienne said that "the vast majority" of reported COVID-19 cases in the Americas have been among those between the ages of 19 and 59, but that almost 70% of deaths have been among individuals who are 60 years old or older. "This indicates that younger people are primarily driving the spread of the disease in our region," she said.

A recent uptick in cases in several Caribbean nations including the Bahamas is also a growing concern, said Etienne, with new infections not only driven by tourism but also returning residents. Six of the world's 10 most affected countries are in the Americans, said Etienne, pointing to the United States, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Peru and Argentina.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/936308?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2527938&faf=1

Howee

PostPosted: 08/27/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking this is gonna be around a while. Shocked (....as if nobody saw this coming Razz)

This article documents the proof of re-infection; whether or not it's an outlier or general probability remains to be seen.

Quote:
But in this case, researchers at the University of Hong Kong sequenced the virus from the patient’s two infections and found that they did not match, indicating the second infection was not tied to the first. There was a difference of 24 nucleotides — the “letters” that make up the virus’ RNA — between the two infections.

“This is the world’s first documentation of a patient who recovered from Covid-19 but got another episode of Covid-19 afterwards,” the researchers said in a statement.

PostPosted: 09/20/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Second COVID wave hits Europe

Quote:
"After successfully tamping down the first surge of infection and death, Europe is now in the middle of a second coronavirus wave as it moves into winter -- raising questions over what went so wrong. Daily case numbers in the European Union and United Kingdom this week reached record highs of more than 45,000 on a 14-day notification rate, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)...

There are trends that may explain the deterioration. The surge comes just after the summer vacation season, as workers return to city centers and children go back to school. The World Health Organization has suggested the increase could be partly down to the relaxation of measures and people dropping their guard, and evidence indicates young people are driving the second surge in Europe."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/europe/europe-second-wave-coronavirus-intl/index.html

tfan

PostPosted: 09/20/20 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spain had the big surge in March, going up over 10,000 cases in a single day. Then they went quickly down and from early May to early July had around 350 to 550 cases a day. Seemed like they had it under control. But they definitely had a second wave as cases went back up over 10,000 in a day for a number of days in August and September. But it looks like they are coming down again:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/20/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our 2nd wave was considerably worse than the first one. 8k cases & 100 deaths vs 19k cases & 750 deaths (and counting...) the second time around, but thankfully it's now nearly back to "suppressed" status, with < 50 new cases per day over the past week.
COVID is still proving to be a slippery little sucker, seemingly also causing health problems well beyond just short-term respiratory stuff. I strongly recommend not catching it just yet.

PostPosted: 09/20/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Our 2nd wave was considerably worse than the first one. 8k cases & 100 deaths vs 19k cases & 750 deaths (and counting...) the second time around, but thankfully it's now nearly back to "suppressed" status, with < 50 new cases per day over the past week.
COVID is still proving to be a slippery little sucker, seemingly also causing health problems well beyond just short-term respiratory stuff. I strongly recommend not catching it just yet.

Do y'all have the same distribution along political lines as we do in the US? ALL of the states with surging case and death rates are in states with right wing leadership. Taking out the Democratic led states would cause the per capita case and death rate to rise for the country.

Also do you have "leaders" advocating snake oil treatments? It's related to the distribution of cases as right wingers have a greater propensity to inject bleach than any person on the left. So, dying from COVID due to gathering without masking AND dying from feeling invulnerable due to "following the leader."

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/21/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Spain had the big surge in March, going up over 10,000 cases in a single day. Then they went quickly down and from early May to early July had around 350 to 550 cases a day. Seemed like they had it under control. But they definitely had a second wave as cases went back up over 10,000 in a day for a number of days in August and September. But it looks like they are coming down again:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

The UK, France, Netherlands, Czechia, Poland, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey, et al. are all experiencing a spike in cases. I wonder how many of these recent patients already had COVID in the spring.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/09/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009664/trumps-antibody-treatment-was-tested-using-cells-from-an-abortion

Quote:
The Trump administration has taken an increasingly firm line against medical research using fetal tissue from abortions. For example, when it moved in 2019 to curtail the ability of the National Institutes of Health to fund such research, supporters hailed a “major pro-life victory” and thanked Trump personally for taking decisive action against what they called the “outrageous and disgusting” practice of “experimentation using baby body parts.”

But when the president faced a deadly encounter with covid-19, his administration raised no objections over the fact that the new drugs also relied on fetal cells, and anti-abortion campaigners were silent too. Most likely, their hypocrisy was unwitting. Many types of medical and vaccine research employ supplies of cells originally acquired from abortion tissue. It would have taken an expert to realize that was the case with Trump’s treatment.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/10/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009664/trumps-antibody-treatment-was-tested-using-cells-from-an-abortion

Quote:
The Trump administration has taken an increasingly firm line against medical research using fetal tissue from abortions. For example, when it moved in 2019 to curtail the ability of the National Institutes of Health to fund such research, supporters hailed a “major pro-life victory” and thanked Trump personally for taking decisive action against what they called the “outrageous and disgusting” practice of “experimentation using baby body parts.”

But when the president faced a deadly encounter with covid-19, his administration raised no objections over the fact that the new drugs also relied on fetal cells, and anti-abortion campaigners were silent too. Most likely, their hypocrisy was unwitting. Many types of medical and vaccine research employ supplies of cells originally acquired from abortion tissue. It would have taken an expert to realize that was the case with Trump’s treatment.

For the GOP, hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/14/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the world could be changed for quite a while, if not forever due to the virus. And yet, only Australia has firmly or forcefully called for an investigation as to how it started in China. China responded with canceled orders and tariffs. The WHO and the UN have not called for an end to the alleged place it did start - a wildlife market. The WHO even explicitly supported wildlife markets. Although they may have been felt that countries (other than China) need them for the welfare of the people and that you couldn't just ban them in China. And that is after the WHO has seen two viruses - SARS and this one (SARS-2) allegedly come from wildlife markets. Live poultry markets have also been linked to the spread of more deadly versions of the flu virus.

Lilly CEO Says Covid Will Be ‘Endemic,’ Even With Vaccines: Q&A

COVID-19 will probably become endemic – here’s what that means

How do pandemics end? History suggests diseases fade but are almost never truly gon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 81 of 100

Jump to: