RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2021 Commits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26948



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/09/20 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
OutdoorsKid wrote:
Kiki Iriafen, 6-3 F, committed to Stanford. Her finalists also included Notre Dame, UConn, Baylor, and UCLA. Impressive. Ranked #9 in espnW Rankings Class of 2021.


This is great! But my greedy self says sadly we seem to be out of the running for #1 Azzi Fudd. Rumor is she will stay East Coast.


I think Fudd is either UConn bound, or maybe Duke. But note that rumor has it Paige Bueckers, the prize UConn commit, is staying with the Fudd family this summer.


yeah, it looks like that. I think SCaro is still in the running too. But UConn is most likely. With a name like that, it feels like a betrayal.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
OutdoorsKid



Joined: 14 Jul 2020
Posts: 38
Location: KY


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/09/20 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
OutdoorsKid wrote:
Kiki Iriafen, 6-3 F, committed to Stanford. Her finalists also included Notre Dame, UConn, Baylor, and UCLA. Impressive. Ranked #9 in espnW Rankings Class of 2021.


This is great! But my greedy self says sadly we seem to be out of the running for #1 Azzi Fudd. Rumor is she will stay East Coast.


I think Fudd is either UConn bound, or maybe Duke. But note that rumor has it Paige Bueckers, the prize UConn commit, is staying with the Fudd family this summer.


yeah, it looks like that. I think SCaro is still in the running too. But UConn is most likely. With a name like that, it feels like a betrayal.


Yes, UConn seems most likely. I wonder if Fudd has ever met Jen Azzi? She's too young to have seen her play before Azzi retired in 2003. I don't think she will go to Stanford, but it would be pretty cool if she did because she might then also lead Stanford to a national championship, just like Jen Azzi did in 1990 (when only people in Connecticut cared about UConn WBB and Geno was a young coach who had not yet recruited Rebecca Lobo).


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6330
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/09/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Fudd is somewhat overhyped. How much, I'm not sure.

Yes, she's a smooth and effective shooter from the mid-range and probably from the three. But at 5-10/11 she isn't going to be a significant college rebounder or defender, and I don't think she has elite passing skills. Finally, she's coming off a serious knee injury, which sometimes can have lasting effects.

A significant chunk of the UConn nation will probably go into a super-Boston and near-EDD mental breakdown if Fudd goes elsewhere.
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 18227
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/20 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 WBB prospect Shannon Clarke, 6-0 W, Lawrence Free State HS (KS), has announced her commitment to Navy (Patriot League)
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1297356041609457664

As an aside, she is the step-niece of my BFF.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2464
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
In regards to rankings, Dan Olsen that does ESPN Hoopgurlz is tremendous and he is easily the hardest working evaluator there is. I have seen him in gyms all across the country and his July itinerary (not this current July obviously, thank you covid) is always filled with ridiculous travel to see as many of the kids as he humanly can in person. He has a recruiting service that has literally hundreds of subscribers at all levels.


Well, it appears as though ESPN decided to go a different direction. They have gotten in bed with a guy in Boston that is tied to adidas, event running and certain programs. Looks like what was known as hoopgurlz will no longer be a very reliable source. Dan was a very partial observer and ranker, not allowed to run events while contracted with them. That is no longer the case. I learned about this from a coaching friend that appeared to be less than impressed.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13063
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/24/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Dan was a very partial observer and ranker....


I'll take it you meant he was an IM-partial observer, given to objectivity. I'd be tempted to think that this kind of political maneuvering is a sign that wcbb is getting to be more *big league*, but....it's really all about the $$$, right? Unfortunate.....



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2464
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/20 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Dan was a very partial observer and ranker....


I'll take it you meant he was an IM-partial observer, given to objectivity. I'd be tempted to think that this kind of political maneuvering is a sign that wcbb is getting to be more *big league*, but....it's really all about the $$$, right? Unfortunate.....


LOL, yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for the correction. I certainly didn't mean he only watched a little bit haha. Yeah, they are paying this group less to do it, plus the personal relationship and all. It's kind of a mess. A couple of people I know have said those ratings and rankings are pretty much useless now due to the affiliation situation.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10571



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/20 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that ESPN has partnered with a company called 3Step, which appears to be trying to consolidate a lot of youth sports under one umbrella. I've heard that Premier Basketball out of Texas has been bought by 3Step, and its staff will do the national rankings.

3Step is very big on the football side, apparently, and owns a lot of basketball clubs, mainly in the Northeast.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2464
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 09/25/20 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
My understanding is that ESPN has partnered with a company called 3Step, which appears to be trying to consolidate a lot of youth sports under one umbrella. I've heard that Premier Basketball out of Texas has been bought by 3Step, and its staff will do the national rankings.

3Step is very big on the football side, apparently, and owns a lot of basketball clubs, mainly in the Northeast.


All true. They run events and are tied to adidas. The good thing about when Olson did the rankings, he wasn't tied to anyone. Went to all events: Nike, Under Armour, adidas, etc. In fact, he wasn't allowed to run events. Kinda crazy how ESPN has now done a 180 on that.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4370



Back to top
PostPosted: 09/28/20 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:
My understanding is that ESPN has partnered with a company called 3Step, which appears to be trying to consolidate a lot of youth sports under one umbrella. I've heard that Premier Basketball out of Texas has been bought by 3Step, and its staff will do the national rankings.

3Step is very big on the football side, apparently, and owns a lot of basketball clubs, mainly in the Northeast.


All true. They run events and are tied to adidas. The good thing about when Olson did the rankings, he wasn't tied to anyone. Went to all events: Nike, Under Armour, adidas, etc. In fact, he wasn't allowed to run events. Kinda crazy how ESPN has now done a 180 on that.


I heard they got a call from Ben Franklin who was very persuasive.


Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2849



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/04/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette picks up a commitment from a top 60 recruit - 6'2" Kendra Gillispie out of Oklahoma

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/10/4/21501503/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-recruiting-kendra-gillispie-commitment

She had previously given a verbal commitment to Ole Miss and then withdrew that commitment. Former Ole Miss assistant Tony Greene is now at Marquette.

Gillispie's announcement video on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/kendragillispie/status/1312849501015678976


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 1015



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/05/20 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fudd down to UCLA and UConn...!


Hoops9092



Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 1430



Back to top
PostPosted: 10/09/20 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Fudd down to UCLA and UConn...!


Wow. Wouldn't that be a get for UCLA


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin