RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Final Note

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/06/20 7:34 pm    ::: Final Note Reply Reply with quote

I’ve been around here long enough to know once the last W game is played we won’t see a lot of posters til next season. The college board is a different world/board so I would just like to say thank you to everyone and I appreciate you all keeping me entertained and up to date with this league on a daily. #RebkellHeart

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

agree.
and a shout out to Shades for his work on the game threads.

- Amanda Gorman
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/06/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish there was a way to like your posts, because I so agree with both of your sentiments! It is always fun to tune in and see what is happening in Rebkell's world! This is one of the very few women's bball "safe spaces" and I was so sad when I thought it was gone Confused Smile

It is great to share this space with you all. Everyone, please continue to take care and be safe!

bballgrl

PostPosted: 10/06/20 10:00 pm    ::: Re: Final Note Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’ve been around here long enough to know once the last W game is played we won’t see a lot of posters til next season. The college board is a different world/board so I would just like to say thank you to everyone and I appreciate you all keeping me entertained and up to date with this league on a daily. #RebkellHeart

I like the college board as well as this board. I am a fan of women's bb college board because it is nice who plays well in college and then follow them to the W.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/06/20 10:12 pm    ::: Re: Final Note Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I like the college board as well as this board. I am a fan of women's bb college board because it is nice who plays well in college and then follow them to the W.

Agreed , but majority posters here don’t carry over to the college board once the season starts. It’s more of a “Play nice, they’re kids” vibe over there .

PostPosted: 10/07/20 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soooo, I have a question:

Dan (Klop) and Thibault had been coaches of somewhat mediocre teams prior to their championship runs. (Thibault's Sun teams were like watching paint dry and Dan's Starz well....) So what changed and how is it that their teams (when in tact) are characterized by great defense, excellent ball movement, bench depth and people who can hit open shots!

Did the coaches get better over time? Did they find players that fit their coaching style/ system? Did they change their system? Did they just get generational talents and/or the right personnel? Did they get their teams to buy-in and play for each other? What has made them successful these last few years?

This is something that I've wondered and would love to get someone's take on this.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/07/20 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Dan (Klop) and Thibault had been coaches of somewhat mediocre teams prior to their championship runs. (Thibault's Sun teams were like watching paint dry and Dan's Starz well....) So what changed and how is it that their teams (when in tact) are characterized by great defense, excellent ball movement, bench depth and people who can hit open shots!

Did the coaches get better over time? Did they find players that fit their coaching style/ system? Did they change their system? Did they just get generational talents and/or the right personnel? Did they get their teams to buy-in and play for each other? What has made them successful these last few years?

This is something that I've wondered and would love to get someone's take on this.

It's about the players.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/07/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

When Gary Kloppenberg was interviewed during the game I thought about his two years as head coach of the Tulsa Shock (9-25; 11-23) and to me it is just more evidence that it is the players that matter, not the coach (as long as the coach doesn’t “lose” the players). Then a Dan Hughes video was shown and I had the same thought. He’s had some good years and some bad ones.

Looking at Kloppenberg’s resume, he is now finishing his 21st year in the league. He was an assistant coach for 18 years of that, and even though he changed jobs 6 times to another assistant coaching position (Seattle, Phoenix, Charlotte, Indiana, [Tulsa head coach], Los Angeles, Indiana, Seattle) after his initial hire by Seattle in 2000, he has never been out of the league. Prior to the WNBA he spent 16 years coaching at two community colleges and 1 year coaching a team in Venezuela.

Last edited by tfan on 10/07/20 6:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/07/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team with better players almost always wins, but a bad or mediocre coach can screw it up.

Also, something I learned very early in my coaching career: You learn more from losing than from winning. And if you apply what you learned, you'll get better and then when you have talent, you'll have a better idea of how to use it.

PostPosted: 10/07/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaching matters some, but players matter more.

A competent coach can certainly win games or even championships with a talented roster. Stick the same coach on a roster without top players and they're likely to struggle. That's Brian Agler's career.

A good coach can get a team to overperform. That's good if you've got a competitive team. It's bad when you've got a bad team that needs high draft picks, as the coach will win just enough to keep you on the mediocrity treadmill. That's Dan Hughes' career.

PostPosted: 10/08/20 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for sharing your insights. It is great to hear your thoughts! Btw Pilight, I would argue that the second case you made also covered the majority of Thibault's career.

This discussion reminds me of Geno's comments during his Olympic coaching stint (in 2012, I believe) about being in the position of not wanting to crash a Ferrari! Laughing

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 10/09/20 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird credits Jenny Boucek with a lot of credit for the Storm's offense:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wnba/sue-bird-sets-wnba-assist-record-in-finals-game/2020/10/02/e365e69c-050f-11eb-b92e-029676f9ebec_story.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: