RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Guess how many 2020 Liberty rooks make it to the 2021 roster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Predict how many Liberty rookies from 2020 make it to their 2021 roster!
All 7 make it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 31

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/02/20 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
New York may have the money to sign big name free agents but those players don’t normally sign with the last place team.

Which is why I don't think NY can get more than one. Nonetheless, there probably aren't enough max money slots to go around unless some players do sign with rebuilding teams. Either that or leave a lot of money on the table.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
As I’ve said before, if you dump most of the players from this past season, then what did you accomplish in 2020? All that supposed development – using real games as practice - goes down the toilet. We just endured the pain of watching the worst offense in WNBA history, and then management says, “oops, never mind.” There is no way they don’t bring back at least four of those rookies unless a bunch get traded.

This is part of what I was trying to get at. If Kolb and Hopkins were to trade or release five of the six non-Sabrina rookies, they'd look dumb, like they completely wasted the 2020 season. Plus we know that in basketball and other professional sports GMs and coaches often feel attached to the players they chose--that they drafted, traded for, or signed as free agents.
Kolb and Hopkins have invested quite a bit in the six non-Sabrina rookies. I believe this will be reflected when we see who's on the team in 2021.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said I believe they go the rebuild with Ionescu, Durr, lottery pick and some sophomores direction but

There is another direction, This was a sort of a lost seasons.

If they go back to Brooklyn and if the owners want more wins now and if (as it is beginning to look) throwing some max contracts at some free agents could get some more experienced, theoretically better players it could happen

I like the sophomores and have predicted 3 or 4 plus Ionescu but keeping it 100 I don't think any did so great that if some big (or biggish) free agents become available than 2020 could just be seen as a mistake. Jones had a good season but compared to most rookie basically found herself with a green light to shoot, no stars to share the ball with and one of only two player who could consistently get their own shot. She and Claredon shot a ton, made some, missed a lot more and through no fault of her won 1 in 11 games aver double figures on lots of shots on a losing team isn't the same as what say Dangerfield did. One of the reason we have this poll is because none of the other five rookies not named Jones or Ionescu did enough or have enough reputation that it demands a spot. If we do end up with most back it will be less sentimentality and more lack of other choices. As it is we are all assuming Johannes and Han don't show but if either do I would assume both are higher status than the sophomores, same with Allen (and maybe even Talbot).

I like the rookies feel they got a raw deal by having too many and then losing Durr at the beginning and Ionescu soon after as they are the players they will need to show their fit with. But if the poll was which sophomore do yo think will (not could but will) be a borderline starter in the league for most of their career that last say 3 to 6 years what is the answer.

Yes it is hard to get free agents to a last place team, but NY besides being able to offer big money can offer playing time and starting spots at a variety of positions. And while Liberty 2020 was an awful season I don't think "we're going to have Ionescu and Durr back, were adding another lottery pick and of course with your amazing talent and the amazing talent of our other free agent were going to be able to turn it around in a hurry". Is too unrealistic of a selling point.

I hope some of the sophomores get a chance to grow and develop with us, but depending what the mandate is looking stupid for the 2020 draft can happen by keeping the players just as much as by cutting them. Improvement and winning over the next two season it what solves that. And there is more than one way to that goal. Just playing some devil's advocate.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/03/20 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Liberty can actually sign a bunch of healthy star-level players, then I'm all for it. But I don't think it's going to happen. I thought being realistic was a goal of this survey. All the dreaming stuff belongs in the Liberty 2021 thread. But I understand the confusion. It's not enough that the Liberty thread contains the most pages. We also have to have the most threads. Razz

PostPosted: 10/03/20 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And to be honest why this poll exists in the first place is nothing is particularly obvious (Also I am not actually sure what I actually want so one idea over the other isn't and endorsement of said idea). OTOH I am not as sentimental about these rookies as I usually am. I am secretly rooting for Kea (new convert) and still am holding out some hope for Holmes but I realize that is deep in the unrealistic territory, and I am confounded by how Walker's season went and where she stands in contrast to Odom and Willoughby, and where my alligence even lies between these players

I started at 5 including Ionescu thinking yeah reboot on the rebuild, most sophomores get a second chance, next season while probably not a bubble will still be weird no rush

Then I started to think hybrid of rebuild with a little push to get better quicker because if we are back in Brooklyn we need to go from really awful to at least fun to watch with some potential to be competitive (this is sort of where I am at now)

but then I started to argue even a step further because we have new owner, and the Liberty have been bad f3 years have recently been banished 3 years in Newark, more recently 2 years in Westchester and wubbled this year, so maybe the new ownership isn't interested in waiting and will absolutely try to get better now.

Not trying to be unrealistic but I can see a reality where we throw around a lot of money while trying to find next seasons Laney, MHA, Carleton, etc Besides Ch. Parker and Powers I don't think at least trying for Howard or Laney is too out there.

But I will move that to the 21 thread even though I think it fits this topic kind of as does Johannes or Allen return and Zahui tenure will all affect the outcomes

And I like that this thread will likely dissppear so I can do my puzzle here without having to really commit to it and read 6 months from now

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/03/20 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Not trying to be unrealistic but I can see a reality where we throw around a lot of money while trying to find next seasons Laney, MHA, Carleton, etc Besides Ch. Parker and Powers I don't think at least trying for Howard or Laney is too out there.

The whole point of Laney, MHA, and Carleton (not the same level, but OK) is that no one saw them coming. Consequently, you wouldn't need to throw money at them. If you're looking for the next surprise player who will blow up, she's probably a WNBA bench-warmer starring overseas or someone with a high PER and low minutes over here. Kea actually fits that description. She put up big numbers overseas and looked like she had the potential to pop here with regular minutes. Unfortunately for Paris, the face of the franchise and a coach's favorite are blocking her.

As for Laney, I don't see why Atlanta wouldn't core her. Who else are they going to use it on? Carter has three years left on her rookie contract, and Georgia girl Courtney Williams is probably happy to be home. As I've noted elsewhere, if we saw the real Myisha Hines-Allen this season, then she is the second best player on Washington. Thibault would be really stupid to let her get away, and I don't think Mike is stupid.

PostPosted: 10/03/20 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

The whole point of Laney, MHA, and Carleton (not the same level, but OK) is that no one saw them coming. Consequently, you wouldn't need to throw money at them. If you're looking for the next surprise player who will blow up, she's probably a WNBA bench-warmer starring overseas or someone with a high PER and low minutes over here. Kea actually fits that description. She put up big numbers overseas and looked like she had the potential to pop here with regular minutes. Unfortunately for Paris, the face of the franchise and a coach's favorite are blocking her.

As for Laney, I don't see why Atlanta wouldn't core her. Who else are they going to use it on? Carter has three years left on her rookie contract, and Georgia girl Courtney Williams is probably happy to be home. As I've noted elsewhere, if we saw the real Myisha Hines-Allen this season, then she is the second best player on Washington. Thibault would be really stupid to let her get away, and I don't think Mike is stupid.

Yeah I was kind of combining ideas there I meant

find a player out there who could have bigger impact than they are right now

or by spending a lot of money on a player another team might not want to or be able to afford who could blow up (or under performed this year) but involves some risk in offering a big contract

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/20 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
New York may have the money to sign big name free agents but those players don’t normally sign with the last place team.

When did this become an NBA thread?

PostPosted: 10/03/20 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And as NBA teams have found out many times over the years, the dangerous thing about having cap space when you might not be a destination team for the top players, is spending it on the wrong people. While the limited length of WNBA deals means it's tougher to screw yourself for a long period of time than in the NBA, the new salary structure means a couple of bad deals could be much more of an issue than it used to be. If you give big money to second-tier players to get them to come, you better be at least half-right about the potential they have to break out.

Of course, the same applies to how much you give your own vet free agents to stay. You don't want to overvalue your players just because they've been in your own practices for a couple of years.

PostPosted: 10/03/20 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: Prospective point guard Paris Kea has more turnovers than assists in her two-year WNBA career.

PostPosted: 10/03/20 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just a note: Prospective point guard Paris Kea has more turnovers than assists in her two-year WNBA career.

You would have to bring realism into it wouldn't you? Laughing

She did have a TO problem in college as well. I don't know how she's been overseas. But here we also never seem to get to see her play with good players. When you're a second string PG you play with second string players so the chances of them completing the play when you get them the ball kinda is random and especially with NY where even the first team is second string this year.

And for that matter, we also know Jones had negative assists to turnovers.

And for double that matter, Ionescu had negative A/TO in her three games.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/03/20 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I believe I was the person who first suggested having a poll, so I now feel a responsibility to vote and explain my list. Even though, to quote and agree with root_thing, "I have no clue what management will do." SO many variables: possible trades, possible free-agent signings, possible draftees, decisions by international players to come to New York or not, the state of Covid-19 and how that will affect the planned Olympics and other matters.

I believe that anyone under contract could perhaps be traded except for Ionescu and Nurse. Kia had such a bad season that her trade value is quite low. Kolb and Hopkins may as well bring her back and see what happens.

As for the other rookies:

I believe Megan Walker will be gone. This is just a guess, but I took her limited playing time in the second half of the season as meaning that Hopkins wasn't happy with her. Given that she was chosen ahead of five other rookies, it seemed noteworthy that she was given so little court time.
I see her traded or even just released if no one is willing to give up anything for her in a trade.

Conversely, I believe Willoughby will be back. Another guess, but I have a feeling that Hopkins really likes Willoughby.

I see Odom returning because of her strong defense and Holmes gone for reasons others have stated.

I view Shook as a "maybe," depending on what happens with Zahui B. (whom I suspect will be elsewhere) and what other post players Kolb and Hopkins are able to sign as free agents, trade for, or draft. Shook could be the last post player on the bench--or not.

I am far more ambivalent about Jones than some others here. At her best, she looked far better than some of the rookies named above--but that's no great tribute. Jones's worst was troubling. Part of it, of course, was the adjustment to sometimes playing point guard, but not all of it. I can see Jones back, but if I were Kolb or Hopkins I'd consider trading her since she'll have trade value.

So I'm concluding: Ionescu yes, Walker no, Willoughby yes, Odom yes, Holmes no, Shook maybe, Jones maybe. I'm voting for four rookies back, though I'm not certain which four.

Megan Walker wasn't ready for the W and it showed. She developed nicely at UCONN, but she needed another year. She is an excellent 3 point shooter, but the rest of her game, specifically her ball handling, needs improvement. I think she could improve her game in all aspects and I believe she will, but she is definitely going to take some time.

Just my $.02

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/03/20 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

She did have a TO problem in college as well. I don't know how she's been overseas. But here we also never seem to get to see her play with good players. When you're a second string PG you play with second string players so the chances of them completing the play when you get them the ball kinda is random and especially with NY where even the first team is second string this year.

Paris played in college for a coach in Sylvia Hatchell who didn't mind her teams having a high turnover stats because they were trying to maximize as many possessions as possible. As a result it as carried over to the professional level in both the WNBA and the Euroleague.
https://www.eurobasket.com/player/Paris-Kea/Israel/Maccabi-Haifa/344309

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/03/20 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:

When did this become an NBA thread?

Laughing At least the Liberty's Dolan days are behind them – hopefully that was the only curse that was placed on this franchise. Razz They won't be changing their name to the Brooklyn Liberty any time soon…

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/04/20 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

And Clarendon's 3.4 turnovers to 3.9 assists is hardly ideal either. There was clearly something about the Liberty system and the lack of a good supporting cast that caused New York's point guards to have high turnovers. Also, let's not forget that Kea joined the team at midseason. She didn't have training camp and hadn't played basketball since leaving Russia in late February or early March. Nevertheless, based on her arrival announcement, it looks like Kea played on the same day she entered the Wubble. When you're unfamiliar with your teammates, barely know the playbook, and haven't played basketball in five months, that looks to me like a recipe for more turnovers than assists.

Based on her history, it's quite possible Kea isn't a true point guard. Her stats from Russia suggest that she was used as a shooting guard. Paris missed the beginning of her senior year due to an injury, and she was replaced at PG by a freshman. When Kea returned, they essentially split the position with Paris starting at SG. When crunch-time came, Kea would take over at PG, but mostly so that she as the first scoring option would already have the ball in her hands. Clearly, Paris has always been more of a shoot-first point guard. Her scoring prowess is almost a handicap to functioning as a pure PG. As I've mentioned before, the Washington Mystics classified Kea as a shooting guard for the 2019 Draft.

That said, having watched Paris at North Carolina, it looked to me like she had good vision and slick passing ability. Most of her TOs come off one-on-one moves trying to score. Kea has never been in a situation where she was surrounded by good shooters and could simply be a pass-first PG. Maybe she can do it, maybe she can't. But it would be nice to see Paris get the chance to try somewhere.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Paris missed the beginning of her senior year due to an injury, and she was replaced at PG by a freshman.

Actually, Shayla Bennett was a junior transfer and the national Junior College POY. So, it's not like Kea "lost" her position to a freshman.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/04/20 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="root_thing"] And Clarendon's 3.4 turnovers to 3.9 assists is hardly ideal either. There was clearly something about the Liberty system and the lack of a good supporting cast that caused New York's point guards to have high turnovers. [quote]

Yes. I'd say many factors contributed to point guard turnovers that weren't entirely the fault of Clarendon or Kea. No real training camp. No preseason games. Not being a classic point guard. Pllaying with six rookies. For Clarendon: more playing time than was ideal. And, perhaps most important, the pressure of playing point guard on a team that couldn't make shots and was terrible offensively. Partly the point guards' fault, mostly not.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Paris missed the beginning of her senior year due to an injury, and she was replaced at PG by a freshman.

Actually, Shayla Bennett was a junior transfer and the national Junior College POY. So, it's not like Kea "lost" her position to a freshman.

I remembered that the player was new, but I didn't remember she was a transfer. Nonetheless, my point was precisely that Kea didn't lose her job. The switch was necessitated because Paris started the season injured. Bennett then performed well enough so that the coach decided to leave her in place after Paris returned. Still, Kea continued to play a lot of minutes at the point, especially when the game was on the line.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Paris didn't missed the beginning of her senior year due injury , she played some games early on and then missed some games due to injury. Bennett was the PG to start the season and Paris was playing off the ball until conference season when Bennnett was benched and Paris slid over to the PG spot.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/04/20 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Paris didn't missed the beginning of her senior year due injury , she played some games early on and then missed some games due to injury. Bennett was the PG to start the season and Paris was playing off the ball until conference season when Bennnett was benched and Paris slid over to the PG spot.

Boy, my memory really is going. Embarassed I thought Kea got injured a lot earlier. Still, I'm pretty sure there were times during the regular season when Kea took over at point even while Bennett was on the floor.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Yes. I'd say many factors contributed to point guard turnovers that weren't entirely the fault of Clarendon or Kea. No real training camp. No preseason games. Not being a classic point guard. Pllaying with six rookies. For Clarendon: more playing time than was ideal. And, perhaps most important, the pressure of playing point guard on a team that couldn't make shots and was terrible offensively. Partly the point guards' fault, mostly not.

I was building on Myrtle's point that Ionescu and Jones, like Kea, also had more TOs than assists. Clarendon was the only PG with more assists, but not by much. It just looked to me like the Liberty PGs were constantly dribbling into crowds, then ended up taking wild shots because they were trapped. That can't be a coincidence. I guess they were trying to draw the extra defenders in so they could hit an open 3-point shooter. However, when you're surrounded it's hard to find a passing lane -- especially if your teammates are stationary and not helping you in any way.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I was building on Myrtle's point that Ionescu and Jones, like Kea, also had more TOs than assists. Clarendon was the only PG with more assists, but not by much. It just looked to me like the Liberty PGs were constantly dribbling into crowds, then ended up taking wild shots because they were trapped. That can't be a coincidence. I guess they were trying to draw the extra defenders in so they could hit an open 3-point shooter. However, when you're surrounded it's hard to find a passing lane -- especially if your teammates are stationary and not helping you in any way.

I agree with you and Myrtle. Bringing Ionescu and Jones into the conversation is right. As you've just said, Walt's system--and the push to set up teammates for open three-point shots--was part of the problem for all four point guards. I believe the other factors I mentioned were as well.

Given what you've said just above, there's also this. If the point guards' teammates weren't missing so many open three-pointers, then Liberty PGs wouldn't have been dribbling into so many crowds. Why not clog the middle if the team you're facing wants to take thousands of threes but can't hit them even when players are wide open?

PostPosted: 10/04/20 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
I believe I was the person who first suggested having a poll, so I now feel a responsibility to vote and explain my list. Even though, to quote and agree with root_thing, "I have no clue what management will do." SO many variables: possible trades, possible free-agent signings, possible draftees, decisions by international players to come to New York or not, the state of Covid-19 and how that will affect the planned Olympics and other matters.

I believe that anyone under contract could perhaps be traded except for Ionescu and Nurse. Kia had such a bad season that her trade value is quite low. Kolb and Hopkins may as well bring her back and see what happens.

As for the other rookies:

I believe Megan Walker will be gone. This is just a guess, but I took her limited playing time in the second half of the season as meaning that Hopkins wasn't happy with her. Given that she was chosen ahead of five other rookies, it seemed noteworthy that she was given so little court time.
I see her traded or even just released if no one is willing to give up anything for her in a trade.

Conversely, I believe Willoughby will be back. Another guess, but I have a feeling that Hopkins really likes Willoughby.

I see Odom returning because of her strong defense and Holmes gone for reasons others have stated.

I view Shook as a "maybe," depending on what happens with Zahui B. (whom I suspect will be elsewhere) and what other post players Kolb and Hopkins are able to sign as free agents, trade for, or draft. Shook could be the last post player on the bench--or not.

I am far more ambivalent about Jones than some others here. At her best, she looked far better than some of the rookies named above--but that's no great tribute. Jones's worst was troubling. Part of it, of course, was the adjustment to sometimes playing point guard, but not all of it. I can see Jones back, but if I were Kolb or Hopkins I'd consider trading her since she'll have trade value.

So I'm concluding: Ionescu yes, Walker no, Willoughby yes, Odom yes, Holmes no, Shook maybe, Jones maybe. I'm voting for four rookies back, though I'm not certain which four.

Megan Walker wasn't ready for the W and it showed. She developed nicely at UCONN, but she needed another year. She is an excellent 3 point shooter, but the rest of her game, specifically her ball handling, needs improvement. I think she could improve her game in all aspects and I believe she will, but she is definitely going to take some time.

Just my $.02

As a UConn fan and trying to be objective at the same time, I will say I agree with this. Some players benefit from hiding their deficiencies for so long at UConn based on the level of competition (or lack their of, but not UConn's fault for the conference part) and there's no way to hide it at the W. A few I can think of are KML, Katie Lou, Megan Walker, and dare I say Rebecca Lobo? I remember people thought that KML should've been the #1 and at least one mock draft writer thought that KLS should've been #1 in her class. However, look at how they turned out in the pros.

Megan is one of those players who could've benefited from being a top player in college for one more year....but now reality hits. I think it's somewhat telling that players like KLS and MW were "exposed" in key moments when it was time to make plays in the NCAAs whereas players like Phee and Arike showed up for their teams. To me that's telling, but what do I know Wink

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/05/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Boy, my memory really is going. Embarassed I thought Kea got injured a lot earlier. Still, I'm pretty sure there were times during the regular season when Kea took over at point even while Bennett was on the floor.

Paris was the point guard for the majority of season but Bennett started the season at point when both of them were on the floor together.

What role to do see Paris having on the team if she's on it next season?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/05/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Paris was the point guard for the majority of season but Bennett started the season at point when both of them were on the floor together.

What role to do see Paris having on the team if she's on it next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: