RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor / TCU volleyball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 10/03/20 8:50 pm    ::: Baylor / TCU volleyball Reply Reply with quote

Saw the Baylor/TCU volleyball game on ESPNU. Only one of the players had a mask (the TCU libero) and she had it down on her chin at times. Instead of slapping hands like they always do, the players were bumping elbows on the court, as was advocated back in March. TCU did this odd thing where the player substituting out would not slap hand with the coaches or the first several players, instead bumping elbows, but then would do the typical double high five with the remaining players. If I recall right, some of the bench players had masks on and some did not. Don't remember seeing what Baylor did. There was no on court "social distancing". The front line would stand right next to each other before the serve as they typically do before moving to their position. And the players occasionally huddled up on the court between points at a close distance. The coaches were wearing masks, as were the officials. The TV announcers appeared to be in their normal location and were not wearing masks. There were no fans but there were cheerleaders up in the stands wearing masks.

Last edited by tfan on 10/03/20 10:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 10/03/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool story, what does this have to do with wcbb?

tfan

PostPosted: 10/03/20 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Cool story, what does this have to do with wcbb?

I meant it as a preview of what WCBB games would be like.

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/04/20 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another interesting change in volleyball has been that the teams stay on the same side for the whole match instead of switching sides and benches between games.
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The postgame handshake line will be a thing of the past as well ... and maybe never return.

PostPosted: 10/05/20 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Another interesting change in volleyball has been that the teams stay on the same side for the whole match instead of switching sides and benches between games.

Which I never quite understood why they would switch sides in the first place. I can't think of any other sport where that happens. Anybody know what the rationale was/is for that?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/05/20 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Which I never quite understood why they would switch sides in the first place. I can't think of any other sport where that happens. Anybody know what the rationale was/is for that?

I'm guessing that it has to do with the signs that the coaches give to the players. If they have to give them cross-court they would be easy(ier) to steal.

I know that baseball/softball has them out in the open, but for some reason vball hasn't figured that out yet.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/05/20 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I'm guessing that it has to do with the signs that the coaches give to the players. If they have to give them cross-court they would be easy(ier) to steal.

I know that baseball/softball has them out in the open, but for some reason vball hasn't figured that out yet.

I suppose you're probably right.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/05/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

It happens in tennis as well. I think the idea is that there might be a benefit to facing one direction versus the other, so switching evens that out.

In tennis it makes sense when you think about the sun, breeze, etc. In indoor volleyball, you might think about different visual backdrops, placements of fans, HVAC drafts, stc.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/05/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Which I never quite understood why they would switch sides in the first place. I can't think of any other sport where that happens.

!!!
linkster

PostPosted: 10/05/20 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Football, basketball, tennis for three.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/05/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I think they are referring to volleyball benches switching sides.

awhom111

PostPosted: 10/05/20 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

It happens in tennis as well. I think the idea is that there might be a benefit to facing one direction versus the other, so switching evens that out.

In tennis it makes sense when you think about the sun, breeze, etc. In indoor volleyball, you might think about different visual backdrops, placements of fans, HVAC drafts, stc.

The effect is not as pronounced in the bigger college gyms, but there are definitely quirks that make one side more advantageous on quite a few courts. I remember one time, our high school gym had the entrance stairs a few feet behind the corner on one end and one of my teammates made an incredible save and disappeared down them and we were worried before he popped back up quickly. On the other end, we had a full stage and I still have a small scar on my arm from making a save and going into the padding covering it only to run into the end of a ladder that someone had stored on the edge of the stage right behind the curtain.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/07/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
linkster wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I think they are referring to volleyball benches switching sides.

Yeah, thought that was obvious when I mentioned benches. Oh well. I mean, clearly teams switch directions in other sports. Rolling Eyes

CHSHog

PostPosted: 10/07/20 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The side of the court you play on can make a big difference, especially since college matches are played best 3 out of 5 (ie, you're not guaranteed equal time facing a particular direction).

There are differences in background (which can make a big difference in terms of picking up the ball in serve receive), crowd closeness and noise, and even in some gyms air flow (which can affect float serves differently).

Most teams are handling these issues this year by playing back-to-back matches on consecutive days - one match on one side of the court, the second on the other.

As for bench switching - some of it is signal calling, but it's also for substitution purposes. Lots more rules about subs in volleyball than basketball, for example, so the movement in and out of the game is more choreographed and controlled.

PostPosted: 10/09/20 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC plays with their masks on, which I suppose is not possible in basketball, although they did lower them to talk between points. Of course, the only reason that we were playing them today is because the Virginia schools did not have enough available players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: