RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 09/25/20 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kuier had a solid first competitive game in Italy, although assuming she was responsible for defending Bashaara Graves, she may need work on that end. It looks like she will get plenty of playing time and if she can shoot a decent percentage from beyond the arc, will certainly be more intriguing.

The Argentine wing Chagas has also found a situation with better playing time so she could play her way into a late pick.
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/26/20 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That actually looks like it was Kuier's 4th game. As part of some kind of tournament, Ragusa split matches with Campobasso on September 20-21. No box scores -- only points leaders were listed. Kuier had 9 in the first game and 15 in the second. The familiar name on Campobasso was Belgian center Kyara Linskens. She had 7 points in Game #1, then 4 the next day. Can we give Kuier credit for holding her down? Wink

A couple of days later, Ragusa crushed some team called L'Alma Patti by a score of 87-39. I don't think Patti is in the regular Italian League, although I'm not sure because these teams all have multiple names depending on sponsor or location. Nor can I tell you what Kuier did in this game because the local news site only listed scoring for their own team, L'Alma Patti. So much for unbiased reporting. Laughing

Ragusa's regular season starts on October 3 with a game against Empoli.

PostPosted: 09/26/20 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
That actually looks like it was Kuier's 4th game. As part of some kind of tournament, Ragusa split matches with Campobasso on September 20-21. No box scores -- only points leaders were listed. Kuier had 9 in the first game and 15 in the second. The familiar name on Campobasso was Belgian center Kyara Linskens. She had 7 points in Game #1, then 4 the next day. Can we give Kuier credit for holding her down? Wink

A couple of days later, Ragusa crushed some team called L'Alma Patti by a score of 87-39. I don't think Patti is in the regular Italian League, although I'm not sure because these teams all have multiple names depending on sponsor or location. Nor can I tell you what Kuier did in this game because the local news site only listed scoring for their own team, L'Alma Patti. So much for unbiased reporting. Laughing

Ragusa's regular season starts on October 3 with a game against Empoli.

I suppose that it is debatable whether the Super Cup should be considered a competitive game or not. She had another solid game, but they lost so no more games until league play. Presumably she was going head-to-head with Sandrine Gruda.

Patti does appear to be a second division team.

Veronika Vorackova had a quadruple-double since the team does not have some of their stars like Alyssa Thomas and Brionna Jones yet and most teams are pretty cautious about mixing their youth and senior teams right now due to the potential for outbreak so they only dressed seven. I think that she is eligible for this draft by virtue of being a 1999 born international who was in college, but she never actually played in a game so did she really technically exercise intercollegiate eligibility?
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/27/20 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Veronika Vorackova had a quadruple-double since the team does not have some of their stars like Alyssa Thomas and Brionna Jones yet and most teams are pretty cautious about mixing their youth and senior teams right now due to the potential for outbreak so they only dressed seven. I think that she is eligible for this draft by virtue of being a 1999 born international who was in college, but she never actually played in a game so did she really technically exercise intercollegiate eligibility?

These cases are so rare that I doubt even the league themselves know exactly what their rule is. I was thinking it might be affected by her never having officially 'renounced her remaining intercollegiate eligibility' but that probably doesn't matter because playing professionally would mean she automatically has none left anyway.

If she's good enough for anyone to care (and it's one of the GMs with half a clue) they'll probably ask the league to clarify before the draft. I believe that's what happened with Diandra Tchatchouang back in 2013 in a somewhat similar situation. You're required to be available to be drafted in at least one draft, so if no one believes her to have been in any previous one then I guess 2021 is it.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1311734939583483904

Quote:
Cathy Engelbert said they hope to have the draft lottery by the end of the calendar year.

Well shit, I should hope it's before January! since that's when teams have to actually start making moves in preparation for free agency. A team can't consider trading its weak-ass lottery pick if opposing teams can't know what spot they'd be picking in. Laughing

Good thing that wasn't the case for last year's draft with an actual crown-jewel prize or two in the draft pool. Liberty fans amongst others would not be happy campers right now!

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/20 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They may be waiting to see how the college season goes ... position in the lottery affects scouting.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m nervous that Reeve will have a UConn addiction now.
Looking ahead at UConn next season, they have no seniors but have these three juniors:
13 Christyn Williams 5-11 G Jr. Little Rock, Ark. / Central Arkansas Christian

20 Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6-5 F Jr. Winder, Ga. / Winder Barrow HS

22 Evina Westbrook 6-0 G R-Jr. Salem, Ore. / Tennessee

The only one that can declare for 2021 is Westbrook.
There’s a chance she could possibly being available at #9.
At this point, not thrilled about it. We’ll see how she does.

I’m not sure practicing with the team one year followed by only one year of competitive play with UConn qualifies her as a true blue UConn player, so I hope Reeve is thinking the same.

On another note, UConn adds a couple of interesting players to the 2022 stash.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 02/11/21 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/03/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was basically just a formality, but Tiana Mangakahia has officially gotten her eligibility extended and can compete in the 2020-2021 season.

Quote:
Mangakahia, a native of Australia, has played two seasons for the Orange and compiled 591 assists (9.1 APG), while also averaging 17.1 points. Syracuse returns four starters from a 16-15 season, including guard Kiara Lewis, an all-ACC first-team selection. Coach Quentin Hillsman said Mangakahia and Lewis form what he thinks is one of the top backcourts in women's college basketball.

I wonder how Mangakahia and Lewis will mesh together as backcourt mates. Lewis was their main ballhandler & scorer last year and became a very fringe 2021 prospect in my eyes. I'm hoping they'll be able to bring out the best in each other and lift their respective profiles up, instead of one person taking away shine from the other (or worse – them bringing each other down).

Quote:
Mangakahia hopes to play for the Australian national team in the Olympics in 2021 and get a chance at the WNBA. She was put on the Australian senior team training roster before her illness.

Where's Luuuc (or our expert(s) on international players)? Any chance at all she makes the Opals and becomes a deferral pick in the Draft? Regardless, I wouldn't mind the Storm drafting her, if nothing else but to give Ezi Magbegor another Aussie teammate whose presence would motivate her to keep showing up every year. Twisted Evil

Quote:
Mangakahia is just 5-foot-6, but the success of a player of similar size, the Minnesota Lynx's 5-5 Crystal Dangerfield of UConn, is encouraging. Dangerfield was the WNBA's Rookie of the Year this season.

As a true PG, she puts up Slooty-like assist numbers, playing in Hillsman's unique/offbeat system at Syracuse, in a Dangerfield-like body... And she's 25. I can't even begin to predict how/if her game will translate to the WNBA.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/03/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Quote:
Mangakahia hopes to play for the Australian national team in the Olympics in 2021 and get a chance at the WNBA. She was put on the Australian senior team training roster before her illness.

Where's Luuuc (or our expert(s) on international players)? Any chance at all she makes the Opals and becomes a deferral pick in the Draft? Regardless, I wouldn't mind the Storm drafting her, if nothing else but to give Ezi Magbegor another Aussie teammate whose presence would motivate her to keep showing up every year. Twisted Evil

Opals guard depth is zero, so on playing ability she is a legitimate chance to make the Opals roster. Add in the "Opals coaches always* side with the experienced option" factor and her chances drop a little. Add in the likely small amount of time she will get in an Opals environment between now and Tokyo and her chances drop a little more.
But it's possible, especially if she has a good Orange season.
Opals still have the issue of only being allowed to select one out of Leilani Mitchell and Sami Whitcomb, and they're both no-brainer picks as starters at their respective positions. Right now Mitchell is still the incumbent, but if a viable alternative for her emerges then that changes things.
I fully expect her to be a regular after Tokyo.

Stormeo wrote:
Quote:
Mangakahia is just 5-foot-6, but the success of a player of similar size, the Minnesota Lynx's 5-5 Crystal Dangerfield of UConn, is encouraging. Dangerfield was the WNBA's Rookie of the Year this season.

As a true PG, she puts up Slooty-like assist numbers, playing in Hillsman's unique/offbeat system at Syracuse, in a Dangerfield-like body... And she's 25. I can't even begin to predict how/if her game will translate to the WNBA.

Probably pushing the limits of a comparison from what I've seen of Tiana, but I like the optimism.
At that size you really need to have a lot going for you to make it at this level. I'm glad that Danger is waving the flag for small guards and proving that they can be valuable in the WNBA but I'm not expecting it to be a regular occurrence.

* the exception being Brendan Joyce, who was a frikkin disaster

PostPosted: 10/03/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You work fast. Very Happy Thanks for the overview! Syracuse is such a senior-led team that's talented enough to compete for the ACC title this year, so I think Mangakahia is in a really favorable situation where she can put up good numbers. Although in the midst of all the idiosyncrasies about her as a pro prospect, I somehow forgot that she's a cancer survivor. Shocked I hope her body won't get too overworked once the college season comes & goes and she hops right into competing for a spot on the Opals and/or competing for a WNBA roster spot.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/03/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

also it will be interesting to see how Dangerfield does in season #2. Often teams adjust...and with her, I think they will find ways to make the size a bit more of a problem. But FLB has made it for all these years even though teams post her up with their big guards and that can sometimes be a problem. I expect that will also happen to other midgets.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/04/20 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
also it will be interesting to see how Dangerfield does in season #2. Often teams adjust...and with her, I think they will find ways to make the size a bit more of a problem. But FLB has made it for all these years even though teams post her up with their big guards and that can sometimes be a problem. I expect that will also happen to other midgets.

Dangerfield just needs to find her shot from long distance in the next season or two (and keep it polished for the rest of her career once she does), which we know she has it in her from her UConn days. She's already been surprisingly great inside the arc, though my guess is her 2PT% will come down a bit while her 3PT% will go up, evening themselves out. I think the key skill to having a long career as an undersized guard is 3PT shooting. Sue Bird isn't ultra-short, but she isn't exactly lengthy out there at 5'9, so I'd say she falls into this category, too. Shooting/Floor spacing is everything in modern-day basketball. And whatever defense you can get out of offensively-gifted players is a plus. As we know, even the quickest of short players get slower and less effective over time on the defensive end – which is why I've become a bit concerned about Jordin Canada, as she hasn't made any progress on her outside shot since entering the League.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/04/20 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

FLB is a much better shooter than Dangerfield. Dangerfield isn't horrible, but her shooting percentage is somewhat skewed by the fact that teams tended to let her take open threes because that was a much better option than letting Fowles or Collier touch the ball.

That said, Dangerfield could easily improve on her shot, which would mask her defensive deficiencies (mainly size-related) -- and as FLB has shown, experience improves defense.

PostPosted: 10/04/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't remember Dangerfield being left open very often, certainly not intentionally. Quite the opposite, she regularly drew the opponent's best perimeter defender. It makes sense to proceed with some hesitation, since she is 5'5" and we didn't see this from her in four championship-less years at UConn, but she looks like the real deal.

As for what it means for others, probably not much. She is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/08/20 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that the WNBA season is over, I've begun trying to re-familiarize myself with the various Draft prospects in preparation for the upcoming NCAA season. Mya Hollingshed, one of my sleeper picks in the Pac-12, is now listed as a, uhh, guard/center over on her roster page. Don't think I've seen that listed position before! Razz

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/08/20 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New 3-round mock at draftsite.com:
Code:
1   Charli Collier       Center           Texas            6'5"
2   Rennia Davis         Small Forward    Tennessee        6'2"
3   Aari McDonald        Point Guard      Arizona          5'7"
4   Awak Kuier           Center           Finland          6'4"
5   Natasha Mack         Power Forward    Oklahoma State   6'4"
6   Michaela Onyenwere   Small Forward    UCLA             6'0"
7   Arella Guirantes     Shooting Guard   Rutgers          5'11"
8   Dana Evans           Point Guard      Louisville       5'6"
9   Tiana Mangakahia     Point Guard      Syracuse         5'6"
10  Evina Westbrook      Shooting Guard   UConn            6'0"

https://www.draftsite.com/wnba/mock-draft/2021/

PostPosted: 10/08/20 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
New 3-round mock at draftsite.com:

Not a lot to get excited about there.

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/08/20 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evina Westbrook is sort of interesting. She could be the sleeper who really shoots up the draft board. Westbrook put up roughly 15 ppg and 5 apg with OK efficiency (42%/38%/72%; 1.6 ATO) as a sophomore. She did that while playing point guard at 6-0. If Evina can duplicate those numbers with improved efficiency, then she’d be in great shape for this draft – especially coming out of UConn. Admittedly a lot of “if’s” involved. If there is a college season. If Westbrook plays well. If she enters the draft early. If she plays point guard. Paige Bueckers may very well end up being UConn’s PG or they could split the duties. Quality point guards with size aren’t that common so it would raise Evina's stock. Even if Westbrook only plays SG, having that extra ballhandling and playmaking ability makes her more valuable. Should everything fall into place for Westbrook, I believe she can contend for a lottery slot in this weak draft.

PostPosted: 10/08/20 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Evina Westbrook is sort of interesting. She could be the sleeper who really shoots up the draft board. Westbrook put up roughly 15 ppg and 5 apg with OK efficiency (42%/38%/72%; 1.6 ATO) as a sophomore. She did that while playing point guard at 6-0. If Evina can duplicate those numbers with improved efficiency, then she’d be in great shape for this draft – especially coming out of UConn. Admittedly a lot of “if’s” involved. If there is a college season. If Westbrook plays well. If she enters the draft early. If she plays point guard. Paige Bueckers may very well end up being UConn’s PG or they could split the duties. Quality point guards with size aren’t that common so it would raise Evina's stock. Even if Westbrook only plays SG, having that extra ballhandling and playmaking ability makes her more valuable. Should everything fall into place for Westbrook, I believe she can contend for a lottery slot in this weak draft.

That's a good call.

I do think that the somewhat unexpected success of Collier and Dangerfield could lead to UConn players again getting a bump in draft position (something that hadn't seemed as true lately).

Davis4632

PostPosted: 10/08/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:

That's a good call.

I do think that the somewhat unexpected success of Collier and Dangerfield could lead to UConn players again getting a bump in draft position (something that hadn't seemed as true lately).

I disagree with that because Katie Lou Samuelson and Gabby Williams both were drafted higher than their projected draft order.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 10/10/20 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

its really always a guess.
i think collier would be producing the same on almost any team in the league... however, dangerfield needed the right situation/team to draft her.

samuelson or williams might not necessarily be in the right situation, still (williams moreso).

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/12/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no way Atlanta would take McDonald. She's a double for Carter and Carter is now clearly their girl. They will take a big.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 10/13/20 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
its really always a guess.
i think collier would be producing the same on almost any team in the league... however, dangerfield needed the right situation/team to draft her.

They both needed the right opportunity. For Collier, it was Maya sitting out and Christmas being hurt. Also Zandalisini was also hurt and didn’t show up. It’s conceivable that Collier could have beaten out Zandalasini, but if the other two were available, Collier wouldn’t have been given the same opportunity she was given and she definitely wasn’t winning ROY.

Not to mention, Augustus was out a lot of the season. So Collier was basically the SF by default, and it worked out pretty well as often is the case when Reeve is forced to play a rookie as a starter. It worked out well for Dantas in 2014 in a similar situation.

At PG, there were more options available, so Dangerfield had to earn a starting spot. Kind of faint praise considering the competition. She hit shots though, and Reeve loves when rookies hit shots. I’m not sure she’s the long term solution on a championship team, but we’ll see how that goes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 10/16/20 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Periodically, people ask about the foreign prospects. Paul Nilsen put together rosters for a fantasy All-Star game of teenage players from around the world. In addition to Kuier, Rupert, and Heal whom we've discussed, the other draft-eligible players are:

Marine Fauthoux 5' 9" PG France
Flo Chagas 5' 11" SG Argentina
Reka Dombai 5' 10" SF Hungary
Alexia Dizeko 6' 0" SF Angola
Nanako Todo 5' 9" SF Japan
Emma Rinat 5' 8" SG Isael
Laura Meldere 6' 3" C Latvia

I know nothing about these players. I simply checked to see if they turn 20 next year and don't play for US colleges. They are listed based on their current overseas positions, but the 5-9/5-10 forwards will probably need to move to guard. All other players mentioned in the article are either playing for US colleges or are too young for the draft. I'm always curious about the really, really young players. Nilsen lists two: 15-year old Anastasiia Kosu of Russia and Juste Jocyte of Lithuania who turns 15 next month. Jocyte is the youngest "woman" to ever play Euroleague, which she accomplished at age 13.

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/decide-the-outcome-of-a-fiba-2020-global-teenage-all-star-game-who-wins

PostPosted: 10/16/20 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Potential International draftees:
1. Awak Kuier - 6-4 PF - Finland
2. Iliana Rupert - 6-4 C - France
3. Florencia Chagas - 5-11 SG - Argentina
4. Shyla Heal - 5-6 PG - Australia
5. Zoe Wadoux - 5-10 SG - France
6. Marine Fauthoux - 5-9 PG - France
7. Laura Meldere - 6-3 PF - Latvia
8. Raquel Carrera - 6-3 PF - Spain
9. Kendra Chery - 6-2 PF - France
10. Dragana Zubac - 6-0 SF - Bosnia and Herzegovina

Probably only 3-5 of these players will actually get picked, although any of Carrera, Chery or Meldere could be the benefit of this being a weak Post draft.

There's a good number of quality 2001s entering their Freshman NCAA season as well, including Croatia's Nika Muhl (UConn), Germany's Emily Bessoir (UCLA) the Australian quartet of Gemma Potter, Izzy Anstey (UCLA), Agnes-Emma Nnopu (Stanford) and Lily Scanlon (Gonzaga), and the youngest ever member of the NZ national team, Charlisse Walker-Leger (WSU). Overall, one of the better international generations ever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 7 of 53

Jump to: