Aces in 4
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Aces in 5
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/29/20 8:42 pm    ::: Who wins the 2020 Finals? Reply Reply with quote

Projected rotation players for each team (all stats taken from the 2020 regular season):

Seattle Storm:
Breanna Stewart, 6'4 F – 19.7 PPG on 45% FG | 36% 3PT, 8.3 RPG, 3.6 APG
Jewell Loyd, 5'10 G – 15.5 PPG on 44% FG | 39% 3PT, 3.2 APG
Alysha Clark, 5'11 F – 10.0 PPG on 55% FG | 52% 3PT, 4.2 RPG
Sue Bird, 5'9 G – 9.8 PPG on 49% FG | 46% 3PT, 5.2 APG
Natasha Howard, 6'2 F – 9.5 PPG on 53% FG, 7.1 RPG
Jordin Canada, 5'6 G – 7.9 PPG on 42% FG, 5.5 APG
Ezi Magbegor, 6'4 F – 6.5 PPG on 56% FG
Epiphanny Prince, 5'9 G – 4.3 PPG on 38% FG | 33% 3PT
Mercedes Russell, 6'6 C – 3.5 PPG on 41% FG

Las Vegas Aces:
A'ja Wilson, 6'4 F – 20.5 PPG on 48% FG, 8.5 RPG
Angel McCoughtry, 6'1 F/G – 14.4 PPG on 51% FG | 47% 3PT, 5.1 RPG
Kayla McBride, 5'10 G – 12.5 PPG on 42% FG | 34% 3PT
Jackie Young, 6'0 G – 11.0 PPG on 49% FG, 4.3 RPG, 3.0 APG
Danielle Robinson, 5'9 G – 7.4 PPG on 51% FG, 3.3 APG
Sugar Rodgers, 5'9 G – 3.4 PPG on 32% FG | 31% 3PT
Lindsay Allen, 5'8 G – 3.3 PPG on 41% FG
Carolyn Swords, 6'6 C – 2.9 PPG on 46% FG, 4.6 RPG
Emma Cannon, 6'2 F (too small of a sample size to include)

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/30/20 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/29/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I already called it.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=98329

Quote:
Congrats to the Storm for winning their 4th WNBA Championship and to Klop for winning his first as a Head Coach.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/29/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will either be outraged that the Reeve Dynasty wins another title (even though they probably would've won it all this year anyways), or I'll be outraged if the Aces win because that'll be proof of how the Storm didn't have to face a real, legitimate WNBA team in the semifinals.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 09/29/20 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serious question I am having trouble following

who does each team actually have on their finals roster?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/29/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm in 4. Seattle defends better than Conn and they shoot the 3 like no other. Vegas had issues in that series and will crumble in this one .

PostPosted: 09/29/20 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My heart says Aces in 5, but my head says (ugh!) Storm in 4. I don't see a sweep: McCoughtry has gotten to the Finals with worse teams than this, and A'Ja Wilson is the best player she's ever played with, by a lot. They'll win one game, on sheer guts. I can't see a path to victory without Hamby, though. Especially since Jackie Young appears to have chosen the playoffs as a fine time to turn back into a pumpkin.

I sure as hell would love to have seen a series between both these teams at full strength.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/30/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I sure as hell would love to have seen a series between both these teams at full strength.

Agreed, Silky. I really wish Kelsey Plum were healthy, and Cambage would've added just a lot in general (height, scoring, size... entertainment). Laughing Not to mention Hamby's setback.

Still, if the Aces lose the series, I'm sure they won't make any excuses for themselves, having gotten this far (perhaps to the surprise of Laimbeer himself!). If McCoughtry and Wilson bring their A-game every game and the Aces get a legit 3rd scorer every game, who really knows. I don't see either defense consistently stopping the opponent's offense since both teams at their very cores are offense-oriented imo.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/30/20 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My heart says Storm in 3 but my head says that the stars could align for the Aces on any given night and they take one, especially with Sami's daggers & backup pointguardsmanship out of the equation.
So I went with Storm in 4.
And now my heart has already started preparing its "I told you so!" speech that it's itching to give to my head.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1st option
Stewart vs Wilson
2nd option (kind of)
Howard vs McCoughtry
1st perimeter option
Loyd vs McBride
PG
Bird vs Robinson
glue player
Clark vs J. Young
big big
Swords vs Russell
back up PG
Canada vs Allen
other big
Magbegor vs Cannon
other perimeter
Prince vs Rodgers
deeper bench
Langhorne vs Burdick

Storm have the solid edge in talent
LV will need great performances from Wilson and McCoughtry everynight to even compete
All-star McBride really needs to show up to give the Aces any real hope
4 games storm
rooting for Angel/Wilson and LV but not rooting against Bird, Clark, Stewart, Loyd and Canada

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/30/20 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
1st option
Stewart vs Wilson
2nd option (kind of)
Howard vs McCoughtry
1st perimeter option
Loyd vs McBride
PG
Bird vs Robinson
glue player
Clark vs J. Young
big big
Swords vs Russell
back up PG
Canada vs Allen
other big
Magbegor vs Cannon
other perimeter
Prince vs Rodgers
deeper bench
Langhorne vs Burdick

LV will need great performances from Wilson and McCoughtry everynight to even compete
4 games storm
rooting for Angel/Wilson and LV but not rooting against Bird, Clark, Stewart, Loyd and Canada

I don't think that edge in talent is as "solid" as you seem to think it is. The way you have that list structured, I get down to Clark versus Young before I see the first "solid" advantage for the Storm. Canada versus Allen, and (insert name here) versus Cannon are definitely clear advantages for Seattle. The rest of those depend on who's on that night.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/30/20 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
1st option
Stewart vs Wilson
2nd option (kind of)
Howard vs McCoughtry
1st perimeter option
Loyd vs McBride
PG
Bird vs Robinson
glue player
Clark vs J. Young
big big
Swords vs Russell
back up PG
Canada vs Allen
other big
Magbegor vs Cannon
other perimeter
Prince vs Rodgers
deeper bench
Langhorne vs Burdick

4 games storm

I don't think that edge in talent is as "solid" as you seem to think it is. The way you have that list structured, I get down to Clark versus Young before I see the first "solid" advantage for the Storm. Canada versus Allen, and (insert name here) versus Cannon are definitely clear advantages for Seattle. The rest of those depend on who's on that night.

I will back track a little it is more a feeling of totality of talent vs any huge advantage in the most important personal match ups.

Wilson has been amazing this season, but Stewart's range is a dimension Wilson does not have. Howard hasn't been prime Howard and Angel while also not prime Angel has done an amazing job transitioning from 1st option to second option and is making her team better. I never bet against Angel. Loyd has been quiet this year but McBride IMO hasn't lived up to her billing this season and that hurt the Aces more than Loyd quiet play hurts the Storm. I like Bird's experience and leadership and therefor her impact on the rest of her team, but Robinson has the ability and athleticism to take Bird out of her game and certainly has her own amount of vet experience, Bird range and ability to hit a timely shot and her ability to get Stewart the ball is slightly better than Robinsons ability to get Wilson the ball. Clark is way ahead of J. Young, she is probably the Storms true second or third option but I don't think that is by design as much as it is by her success/consistency level vs Howard and Loyd's. I like Swords and think she does what she is supposed to do for this Aces team Russell has a much higher ceiling but also disappears sometimes. I like Allen but Canada just seem further along in her development. Magbagor is way ahead of Cannon, and while neither get a lot of minutes Langhorne ids way better than Burdick, so without Hammy back up posts is a definite advantage for the Storm. Prince has more game than Rodgers but as a Liberty fan I will say Rodgers plays her game and when she hits shots she is very useful. Overall there is much less of a drop off with the Storms bench, bench players might not win games, but the Aces have to rely on and play their starters more minutes might have a long term impact, as the Storm can afford to rest their starters a little more.

After going a little deeper I agree that the Aces aren't that far behind the Storm. It is more how I felt about the Aces vs the Sun. The Sun have some decent talent but even when they were winning it alway felt like the Aces could just go to another level or eventually would ware the Sun down, once the Aces got close in the second half it always felt like the Sun were playing in an uphill battle. I feel like this series will be similar, The Aces will be competitive, but the overall effect the Storm will have on the Aces will make it seem like the Aces are the team fighting an uphill battle and even if the games are close I think the Storm will alway have enough depth, versatility and talent to keep the Aces on their heels. The Aces can absolutely win, but they have less room for error, and less room for a bad game from one of their top players.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/30/20 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There will be a sweeping Storm from the northwest.

PostPosted: 09/30/20 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think... if the Storm win the Finals, we find a way to re-sign Howard. If the Storm lose the Finals, I think we move on from her one way or another. Just a take I've come to believe.

craigmont

PostPosted: 09/30/20 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Aces but they're in big trouble without Hamby. Storm will miss Whitcomb, but they can survive that better.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/30/20 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really, really, really, really want to see Angel win a title, but it's hard for me to see the Aces win with Hamby out.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/30/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is interesting seeing it player by player. Thank you j-spoon. But it also misses the 'team' aspect of it. Seattle is, in general works so smoothly together. Sometimes Vegas looks what I would call choppy. I voted 4 games because I think the Aces will figure out a way to win one - but IMO they need to have great games from multiple people (more than A'ja and Angel) and hope that Howard and Loyd have a bad game at the same time. It 'could' happen more than once, but I doubt it.

- Amanda Gorman
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have really liked watching playoffs Angel. She has been a revelation! Rejuvenated even. She carried the Aces through that series with the Sun. Putting Clark on her might very well dampen her, but we shall see. She was really a beast!

PostPosted: 10/01/20 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The last time Angel and Clark matched up in playoff game it did not go well for the Storm. That was in 2016 so a lot of time has passed.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/01/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The last time Angel and Clark matched up in playoff game it did not go well for the Storm. That was in 2016 so a lot of time has passed.

2016 WOW seems like yesterday Angel tore up Seattle /Clark in the 1st rd. She couldn't miss that game !

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted we would sweep, but maybe Aces win the second. Our defense if just too good.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: