RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/24/20 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Achonwa. Always have. Even this year, her worst season, she was a useful player.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like her too. She has strong on-court trolling ability.
(So she pisses me off too, but in a way I respect.)

PostPosted: 09/24/20 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I like Achonwa. Always have. Even this year, her worst season, she was a useful player.

Interesting. I feel like I've never liked Achonwa, but maybe it's just because this was her worst year.

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/24/20 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/24/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like her too, but as a support role player. If she's a starter you want her to be the 5th option, but ideally as a bench post. Which then makes it a question of how much you're willing to pay a player like that. The interesting ones are those mid-range players who could get a Hartley deal if someone loves them and will risk the chance (and some ridicule), or could end up with a one-year medium-money prove-it contract.

PostPosted: 09/24/20 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed a few seasons ago Achonwa is the best in the WNBA at drawing flagrant fouls. I don't know if that is a supermax skill, but it is something. I see no other supermax skill though....

RP

PostPosted: 09/24/20 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/sVbZvXXlipE

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/24/20 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I noticed a few seasons ago Achonwa is the best in the WNBA at drawing flagrant fouls. I don't know if that is a supermax skill, but it is something. I see no other supermax skill though....

yeah, she's a supermax flopper.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/25/20 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Achonwa hype for offseason really surprises me . She's a good post defender at best and not a shoot first PF.

PostPosted: 09/26/20 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Here is a hard question

Would Indy be better off without K. Mitchell?

I like Mitchell, but IMO she needs to shift to being a full-time PG to be effective. Mitchell is a 2 technically but with her at the 2 the team seems imbalanced.

IMO she is a scorer not too different from Ogunbowlae, Carter and Plum but

Ogunbowale is bigger and stronger
Carter is better at all the same things and plays PG sometimes
and Plum struggled until she improved her shooting and defense and switched more full-time to PG which I think has a lot to do with Laimbeer pushing her. Plum also benefits from playing with decent sized sg in McBride and a decent sized SF in T.Young and J, Young when she got moved off the ball.

Maybe if Indy had a bigger/better SF it could work?

Would draft Davis, Onyenwere, or Diddi Rchards help at the SF spot?

Are there any teams that might trade for Mitchell where she would be a better fit? And what would her Value be?

I'll give Indy K. Thornton for K. Mitchell in a heartbeat!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/26/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
IMO for Indy to work with Mitchell they need the right complementary pieces maybe drafting a SF with size and shooting could help.

I like Rennia Davis for Indiana's lottery pick, and I would think the Fever's GM as a former Lady Vol herself might like her too. Not a great shooter but she at least takes those outside shots, and can still take over a game on either end (plus, shooting is what Mitchell brings, so there's the complementary factor). Also physical enough to play the 4 in a smaller/situational lineup. I'm not really convinced Burke and especially Vivians will be part of Indiana's future at this point.

I like Davis in Indy as well, I also could see her in Atl and Dallas (NY as well but I am all in on Ch. Collier for NY at #1) so Indy might need some luck to get her.

NO...NO...NOOOOO, I want Collier in Dallas!!!!

Shades

PostPosted: 09/26/20 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q97nf2YAotU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 09/27/20 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d rather have Achonwa at PF moving forward than Dupree, if that’s ever a choice I’m in charge of making. Lol.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/27/20 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
I’d rather have Achonwa at PF moving forward than Dupree, if that’s ever a choice I’m in charge of making. Lol.

There should be room for both. I believe Stanley said Dupree still has a lot of games left in her, which I don’t disagree with.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/27/20 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:

I actually think that wouldn't be bad for both teams. But I suspect Indy thinks more highly of Mitchell and wouldn't go for that deal.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/27/20 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:

As long as they don't re-sign both of them. The Fever really ought to give Lauren Cox as much opportunity as possible next year to show her stuff. I still don't love the idea of the Fever keeping even one of Achonwa and Dupree, but I don't think it's realistic to expect the Fever to not re-sign one of them since they still need post depth (unless – of course – both of them want to sign elsewhere 🤔).

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/28/20 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

I actually think that wouldn't be bad for both teams. But I suspect Indy thinks more highly of Mitchell and wouldn't go for that deal.

Yeah, I have a feeling they wouldn't either but then again, they did draft Cox over Carter, so anything is possible 😆

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/28/20 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
miller40 wrote:

As long as they don't re-sign both of them. The Fever really ought to give Lauren Cox as much opportunity as possible next year to show her stuff. I still don't love the idea of the Fever keeping even one of Achonwa and Dupree, but I don't think it's realistic to expect the Fever to not re-sign one of them since they still need post depth (unless – of course – both of them want to sign elsewhere 🤔).

well hmmm, dupree is 36, achonwa is 27...it's a hard decision if they want to sign just one of them. Wink

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/28/20 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
miller40 wrote:

well hmmm, dupree is 36, achonwa is 27...it's a hard decision if they want to sign just one of them. Wink

Yeah, this team should definitely not have Dupree next year, unless she wants the vet minimum.

And I say that as a pretty big Dupree fan. A still-rebuilding team should not be throwing money at a 37-year-old vet who will block younger players from getting minutes.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/09/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Yeah, this team should definitely not have Dupree next year, unless she wants the vet minimum.

And I say that as a pretty big Dupree fan. A still-rebuilding team should not be throwing money at a 37-year-old vet who will block younger players from getting minutes.

I agree with letting Cox play over Dupree. At this point, Dupree might be considering retiring since she has a family. If not then she may sign with a contender.If If Cox and McCowan develop as they are projected to and don't get injured Indiana will be set for the future with their front court.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/09/20 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's unclear how good Cox can be. She may turn out pretty mediocre. For the most part, her minutes have been against the other teams' 2nd teams. She may also turn out to not be durable enough for the WNBA. That's what worried me about her coming out of college...and still does. She may be a player who can't play a full 30 minutes, and I'm not convinced McCowan can play that many minutes either... in which case you need a good post bench.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/28/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're up to number 9 of these now, this time covering the Fever. Cap details and analysis from me, 2020 review and 2021 outlook from Clay Kallam: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2020-reflections-and-2021-forecasts-69f

PostPosted: 10/29/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love this!

Clay wrote:
"No one can blame first-year coach Marianne Stanley too much as she was trying to win poker pots with a small pair, and it’s hard to fault the players because they often had to try to do things they weren’t capable of."

But yeah, interesting that they have a massive amount of $ for free agents. Can Catch manage to attract one...or two? Could definitely make a huge difference... Especially if they are bigs.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If Collier does turn out to be the #1 pick, I think she could really help Indiana. To me, that is an area where they really need help. TMcC can only play around 20 minutes and sometimes struggles against the more mobile opponent posts. Beyond that they don't have a true 'big' post. The rest of the posts are mostly 'ok' but are only fair to middling IMO.

It's an interesting concept, Indiana drafting a post. By that point, that could mean both Dupree and Achonwa will have signed elsewhere, leaving the Fever's post depth terribly thin. At the same time, Cox, McCowan, and Collier/whoever would be battling it out for the two starting spots. Hard to say which one of those three would be relegated to the bench. Playing time would be in decent supply for all three, at least.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/02/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season In Review: Indiana Fever
Tykera Carter (WNBA.com)
November 20, 2020

Overview:
The Indiana Fever returned most of their core this season, but still managed to be the second youngest team in the league. After coming off of a 13-21 record in 2019, the young squad finished 6-16 under the direction of the Fever’s 1st-year head coach Marianne Stanley.

Consistent play from Kelsey Mitchell and the emergence of the rook Julie Allemand proved to be two big upsides for the franchise.

Although the Fever’s record may not immediately reflect it, the future looks promising for Indiana with their young talent.

https://www.wnba.com/news/season-in-review-indiana-fever-2/

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping Indy could do something in offseason to improve, but so far no rumors?...other than losing Achonwa, which is not surprising.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: