Alisha Valavanis (SEA)
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
James Wade (CHI)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Shades

PostPosted: 09/15/20 11:42 pm    ::: 2020 WNBA GM of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Who is the 2020 WNBA GM of the Year?

17-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/16/20 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Pittman trading for Diggins-Smith is the biggest difference maker of the year. Obviously she wanted out of Dallas, but he still put together the package to get her. Also recognizing the value in players like Vaughn, Hartley and SWK, none of whom were excelling in their previous locations was a smart move.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/16/20 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hadn't realized this until seeing the names laid out together. It is absolutely crazy that there are only three women GMs in this women's league.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'd say Pittman trading for Diggins-Smith is the biggest difference maker of the year. Obviously she wanted out of Dallas, but he still put together the package to get her. Also recognizing the value in players like Vaughn, Hartley and SWK, none of whom were excelling in their previous locations was a smart move.

It's really crazy how Kia went from most expendable to only experienced big on the team in a span of a few weeks.

Hartley, despite the injury, should win Pittman this poll. EVERYONE trashed her contract and she really made it all look genius.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My vote is Padover (although maybe Laimbeer as President of the team should get more of the credit) for convincing the best free agent in 2020 to sign with the team. Robinson looks like a brilliant signing as well.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I'd say Pittman trading for Diggins-Smith is the biggest difference

mercfan wrote:
Hartley, despite the injury, should win Pittman this poll.

Rest assured, I spelled the man’s name correctly.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
I'd say Pittman trading for Diggins-Smith is the biggest difference

mercfan wrote:
Hartley, despite the injury, should win Pittman this poll.

Rest assured, I spelled the man’s name correctly.

God forbid.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ha. Sorry. I spelled it wrong. How wonderful for you, though.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/16/20 12:26 pm    ::: Re: 2020 WNBA GM of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Who is the 2020 WNBA GM of the Year?

Please do one for worst GM....Greg Bibb 💯%!!!

17-day poll

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/16/20 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Get use to it .... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/16/20 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Get used to it. Don't you understand past tense verbs?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/20 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
God forbid.

johnjohnW wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/16/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mercfan wrote:
God forbid.

johnjohnW wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Razz

Don't you understand shades ? Oh i forgot your new Arrow Arrow Arrow

PostPosted: 09/16/20 9:52 pm    ::: Re: 2020 WNBA GM of the Year Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:

Just seeing who gets the zeros on this one should suffice for that. Somebody voted for Bibb! Must have been WNBA 09.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangerfield>Diggins-Smith/Hartley/Walker-Kimbrough/Vaughn>McCoughtry/Robinson?

Interesting.

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All right. Okay. I'm about to rant about Valavanis for the for the umpteenth time, so anyone who doesn't care, ignore this (maybe they already have lmao I ramble).

*takes a deep breath* I would like to know: how the hell did Valavanis receive votes? Who honestly said, "Yep, out of alllll the other moves from all the other teams - some of which are actually missing stars yet are still somehow contenders, one of whom finished better than the Storm - Valavanis is the one!" I concede that the Prince signing was lukewarm at worst aka not a disaster, and trading away KML while overdue was very much a good thing. But the Tuck trade to move back four spots in the Draft only to take one of the worst prospects in Kitija Laksa cancels all of that out. Tuck has never been good (she's barely been able to take the floor this season given her continual knee woes that everyone knew [or at least should've known] about), so what merited her getting a semi-guaranteed six-figure contract, hmm? Show me where in her career she deserved that? And while taking a deferral pick was somehow understandable given our self-inflicted cap space hardship where keeping our 1st round pick on the roster would've put us over by just a couple of thousands, Laksa was the clear-cut worst choice. There were several other deferral pick options with more potential who wouldn't have even wanted to come over and compete this year anyway (I haven't forgotten that), and we already have Whitcomb with presumably no plans of letting her go so why would we need another shooter who doesn't do much of anything else? And she's not even young like other deferral picks are. Too, we have been burned before by players with prior knee issues (see Valavanis' bRiLLiAnT trade to get an already-injured Monica Wright in exchange for a bench player that would be a vital component to the eventual title winner that year), so of course we virtually ended up getting two in one trade!! What the fuck is the logic in that? And anyone who wants to use Magbegor as a plus, need I remind you that she was drafted last year and 'agreed' to (or was coerced into) starting her W career this year, so she doesn't count as a 2020 move here. Whoever voted for her, send me in the direction of where your dealer is cuz whatever you're smoking must be reeeeal top-quality stuff. Confused

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Interesting.

Sure. I give Reeve credit for having the wisdom to not spend/overspend on mediocre vet FAs who'd block minutes from younger players (e.g. Danger Mouse) and leave cap space for future. Though it might take a couple years to find out if Mad Kiki was the right pick at #6 or not.
I don't like Executive of the Year Award. If the Dream weren't going to keep superstar Angel McCoughtry and the Aces are a superstar SF away from being a top team, I'd hope they'd persuade her to join (who gets more credit, Bill or the GM?).
The Mercury did lose Bonner, though they gave the Mercury enough assets to trade for Diggins-Smith, I suppose.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Interesting.

I think people might be mixing up the GM function with that of the Coach since several of these candidates are both roles (something that should probably stop being a thing, but presumably won't be any time soon...)

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Too, we have been burned before by players with prior knee issues (see Valavanis' bRiLLiAnT trade to get an already-injured Monica Wright in exchange for a bench player that would be a vital component to the eventual title winner that year), so of course we virtually ended up getting two in one trade!! What the fuck is the logic in that?

I probably didn't say so here, but I always thought that was a tank move because the Storm couldn't risk Renee Montgomery accidently helping the Storm win an extra game or two that would cost them valuable Breanna Stewart Lottery Tickets. Since the Storm won Breanna Stewart, that more than makes up for Monica Wright ending up being irreparable damaged goods.
Great, I am outraged because I am also reminded now how Valavanis was on the winning end of the most lopsided trade in WNBA history, even if Hughes was the one actually responsible for that trade. Razz

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Too, we have been burned before by players with prior knee issues (see Valavanis' bRiLLiAnT trade to get an already-injured Monica Wright in exchange for a bench player that would be a vital component to the eventual title winner that year), so of course we virtually ended up getting two in one trade!! What the fuck is the logic in that?

I probably didn't say so here, but I always thought that was a tank move because the Storm couldn't risk Renee Montgomery accidently helping the Storm win an extra game or two that would cost them valuable Breanna Stewart Lottery Tickets. Since the Storm won Breanna Stewart, that more than makes up for Monica Wright ending up being irreparable damaged goods.

I've honestly never given Valavanis much credit for thinking ahead like that. Regarding that move, I honestly thought that she saw an opportunity to swoop in and get a physically broken albeit good player that could be effective in the future, but she overpaid for her with Montgomery and Wright never got back to anywhere close to normal. No matter what the motivations were, that trade on its own was a shit trade to make. I'll grant you though, no matter the motivation, it absolutely helped us tank and get Stewart. Razz

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/16/20 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
All right. Okay. I'm about to rant about Valavanis for the for the umpteenth time, so anyone who doesn't care, ignore this (maybe they already have lmao I ramble).

*takes a deep breath* I would like to know: how the hell did Valavanis receive votes? Who honestly said, "Yep, out of alllll the other moves from all the other teams - some of which are actually missing stars yet are still somehow contenders, one of whom finished better than the Storm - Valavanis is the one!" I concede that the Prince signing was lukewarm at worst aka not a disaster, and trading away KML while overdue was very much a good thing. But the Tuck trade to move back four spots in the Draft only to take one of the worst prospects in Kitija Laksa cancels all of that out. Tuck has never been good (she's barely been able to take the floor this season given her continual knee woes that everyone knew [or at least should've known] about), so what merited her getting a semi-guaranteed six-figure contract, hmm? Show me where in her career she deserved that? And while taking a deferral pick was somehow understandable given our self-inflicted cap space hardship where keeping our 1st round pick on the roster would've put us over by just a couple of thousands, Laksa was the clear-cut worst choice. There were several other deferral pick options with more potential who wouldn't have even wanted to come over and compete this year anyway (I haven't forgotten that), and we already have Whitcomb with presumably no plans of letting her go so why would we need another shooter who doesn't do much of anything else? And she's not even young like other deferral picks are. Too, we have been burned before by players with prior knee issues (see Valavanis' bRiLLiAnT trade to get an already-injured Monica Wright in exchange for a bench player that would be a vital component to the eventual title winner that year), so of course we virtually ended up getting two in one trade!! What the fuck is the logic in that? And anyone who wants to use Magbegor as a plus, need I remind you that she was drafted last year and 'agreed' to (or was coerced into) starting her W career this year, so she doesn't count as a 2020 move here. Whoever voted for her, send me in the direction of where your dealer is cuz whatever you're smoking must be reeeeal top-quality stuff. Confused

Good rant.
Though I think you're just overestimating how much thought/impartiality some people vote with. There's more than one impossible homer.

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Good rant.
Though I think you're just overestimating how much thought/impartiality some people vote with. There's more than one impossible homer.

God bless our impossible homers here at Reb's. Couldn't be me, though! Razz

Randy

PostPosted: 09/17/20 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There could be such a thing as troll votes designed to illicit entertaining rants you know..... Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/17/20 7:29 am    ::: Re: 2020 WNBA GM of the Year Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

Just seeing who gets the zeros on this one should suffice for that. Somebody voted for Bibb! Must have been WNBA 09.

OHH HELL NO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LV got my vote , the fool who voted for Bibb still remains at large !!! Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 09/17/20 7:45 am    ::: Re: 2020 WNBA GM of the Year Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

OHH HELL NO Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LV got my vote , the fool who voted for Bibb still remains at large !!! Shocked Shocked

Could have been a rival team coach or GM who frequents this board....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: