East vs West

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/20 6:56 am    ::: East vs West Reply Reply with quote

Season series tied 2-2

PostPosted: 08/03/20 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West leads 9-5

PostPosted: 08/03/20 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York and Connecticut are messing up the curve.

PostPosted: 08/10/20 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West leads 19-7 after a dominant week

PostPosted: 08/31/20 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West leads 42-12 after a 7-0 week

All six West teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.

All six West teams have winning records against the East.

All six West teams have better records than they did through the same number of games last season.

PostPosted: 08/31/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the way the lottery played out over the past ten years, this is not a shock. The star players are almost exclusively in the west. I’m not sure how Tina and EDD ended up in the East. League dropped the ball not putting them in the west Wink

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/31/20 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
With the way the lottery played out over the past ten years, this is not a shock. The star players are almost exclusively in the west. I’m not sure how Tina and EDD ended up in the East. League dropped the ball not putting them in the west Wink

You joke, but actually ...

DelleDonne wasn't the No. 1 pick - the West got Griner that year. And Minnesota had that No. 1 pick that was Charles and traded it to the East in exchange for an all-time great PG.

This year, all active No. 1 picks are playing in the West: Bird, Taurasi, Augustus, Parker, McCoughtry, Ogwumike, Griner, Loyd, Stewart, Wilson, Young. All but two are playing on the team that drafted them.

I've been banging this drum for years, but the league has to do something with the way No. 1 picks get distributed in this league.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/31/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

You joke, but actually ...

DelleDonne wasn't the No. 1 pick - the West got Griner that year. And Minnesota had that No. 1 pick that was Charles and traded it to the East in exchange for an all-time great PG.

This year, all active No. 1 picks are playing in the West: Bird, Taurasi, Augustus, Parker, McCoughtry, Ogwumike, Griner, Loyd, Stewart, Wilson, Young. All but two are playing on the team that drafted them.

I've been banging this drum for years, but the league has to do something with the way No. 1 picks get distributed in this league.

Oh I know. I did a bit of researching last month about highest draft pick playing for each team and it is embarrassing. Do I think the league rigged it? No I guess not. Do I think some teams knew they were gonna have non playoff seasons and instead tried to get a little better positioning? Not saying no on that. Plus a couple of times, the worst team was from the East but they didn’t get the #1 pick.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The non-playoff teams should draft in inverse order of who had the #1 pick most recently. Using the current bottom four of Atlanta, Indiana, New York, and Washington we'd get:

1 Indiana - has never had the #1 pick
2 Washington - last had the #1 in 1999
3 Atlanta - last had the #1 in 2009
4 New York - had the #1 this year

PostPosted: 08/31/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the new CBA will make it tougher for teams to stockpile stars like the Sparks, Storm and Mercury have done over the years. Can't pay everybody the max, so maybe some stars will migrate east eventually. Bonner did this year, so maybe it will change the disparity in talent eventually. Going to a balanced schedule should help too - as this year all the lottery teams seem likely to be in the east. Had the old system been used, most east teams would probably have better records because they would be playing each other more.

Anyway, I'm not sure how important the home team is to fans any more. With some much FA going on in sports fans should really just look at the local team as the store they go to buy in person WNBA games, rather than than where they go to support their local team.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/31/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

The non-playoff teams should draft in inverse order of who had the #1 pick most recently. Using the current bottom four of Atlanta, Indiana, New York, and Washington we'd get:

Not all drafts, #1 picks, etc. are created equally, so I don't agree with that system.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/31/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Still, having a #1 player is a very big deal. The top 3 teams all have multiple #1 draft picks on their team. I think that is more causation than correlation.

Last year, Washington had a #2 pick that is more like a co-#1 player and a very distinct talent. Indiana won with a unique talent of #3 pick Tamika Catchings. All other recent champions had a #1 draft pick I believe.

I did look back at the #1 draft picks going back to the earliest one still active, Sue Bird in 2002, and going forward from there. Out of those 19, only 6 #1 picks went to a team in the East. 2 of them are defunct teams, 1 to Atlanta, 2 to Connecticut, and this year to NY. Out of those 5, 2 haven't played in the league recently (LaToya Thomas and Janel McCarville), 2 now play for West teams (Angel and Chiney), 1 is sitting out (Tina), and Sabrina played but was injured.

Then you look at the other side and LA selected first 2x, Minnesota 2x, Phoenix 3x, Las Vegas/SA 3x, and Seattle 3x.

The disparity is mind boggling and frankly embarrassing. You can say not all #1 picks are the same but looking at the list of #1 picks, they are really good so I'm not sure what your disagreement is.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/31/20 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This historical disparity is pretty bad, but as Randy said the conference system perpetuated it. That is now fixed so hopefully things will be more or less even from now on.
I'm ok with the draft/lottery system as it is now.
I think it'd suck to be a terrible team that is destined to get the #1 pick in a dud draft year, knowing that you weren't going to get another shot at a #1 for quite a while.

PostPosted: 08/31/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
This historical disparity is pretty bad, but as Randy said the conference system perpetuated it. That is now fixed so hopefully things will be more or less even from now on.
I'm ok with the draft/lottery system as it is now.
I think it'd suck to be a terrible team that is destined to get the #1 pick in a dud draft year, knowing that you weren't going to get another shot at a #1 for quite a while.

I do agree with the above statement.

PostPosted: 08/31/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Not all drafts, #1 picks, etc. are created equally, so I don't agree with that system.

You have a better idea?

PostPosted: 09/07/20 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West leads 51-12 after a 9-0 week

PostPosted: 09/07/20 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eek 😬

PostPosted: 09/07/20 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Eek 😬

Atlanta's upset of Minnesota 15 days ago was the last East win over the West

PostPosted: 09/14/20 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

West wins the season series 56-16

Historical perspective

1997 East 41-23 .641
1998 East 36-34 .514
1999 West 50-22 .694
2000 West 61-27 .693
2001 West 48-40 .545
2002 West 53-35 .602
2003 tied 35-35 .500
2004 West 43-41 .512
2005 East 43-41 .512
2006 West 53-45 .541
2007 East 49-35 .583
2008 West 63-35 .643
2009 tied 42-42 .500
2010 East 49-23 .681
2011 West 37-35 .514
2012 West 38-34 .528
2013 West 43-29 .597
2014 West 44-28 .611
2015 East 46-26 .639
2016 West 56-52 .519
2017 West 62-46 .574
2018 West 64-44 .593
2019 West 56-52 .519
2020 West 56-16 .778

PostPosted: 09/14/20 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They should rebrand the WNBA into 2 divisions:

West - Globetrotters
East - Generals

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/14/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
They should rebrand the WNBA into 2 divisions:

West - Globetrotters
East - Generals

How about

West - The teams that have been gifted almost all of the best players in the league
East - The teams that have been repeatedly screwed with the scraps

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/14/20 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
How about

West - The teams that have been gifted almost all of the best players in the league

To your point, with Angel McCoughtry signing with Las Vegas this season, that means that every non-retired #1 overall pick in the WNBA plays in the western conference, except three. Two of those three are under contract with the Washington Mystics, and the third only played three games this season.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/14/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
How about

To your point, with Angel McCoughtry signing with Las Vegas this season, that means that every non-retired #1 overall pick in the WNBA plays in the western conference, except three. Two of those three are under contract with the Washington Mystics, and the third only played three games this season.

Who is the second #1 with Washington? EDD was #2 (but really was like a 1b)

If the final 4 are LV, Seattle, LA, and Phoenix, then only the teams with #1 picks playing for them will be in the final four.

I don’t think that is a good look for WNBA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: