RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting suggestion for non-conference games - bubbles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/09/20 3:29 pm    ::: Interesting suggestion for non-conference games - bubbles Reply Reply with quote

Well, this was written for men's basketball, but he does indicate this should/could be used for women as well (he suggests men's and women's teams traveling together and going to the same location for the most part). In short, he is suggesting 11 brackets set up in 6 different locations around the country from Nov. 25th through Dec. 23rd. Basically, each bracket would be done in a couple of weeks and you can stagger the starts. Double elimination so everyone is guaranteed at least 2 games.

Anyway, I found it to be pretty interesting and I would love to see the NCAA put something like this into play. There are more than enough hosts of preseason events that I'm sure would love to be involved in something like this (Naismith Hall of Fame, Basketball Travelers, Triple Crown Sports, MGM Grand, etc).

Here's the article, which is worth the read IMO: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketballs-nonconference-scheduling-issue-can-be-solved-with-bracket-play-to-start-season/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/10/20 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That article is long on basketball and short on health-related information. With colleges now trying to manage COVID outbreaks, to the point of cancelling in-person classes all together, sending thousands of students around the country for games and then home to their families safely would require rigorous testing and isolation procedures.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/10/20 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that. I found the concept pretty interesting and compelling. I understand there would have to be a lot more involved, but the idea of the bubbles around the country is something to think about and may make some sort of college basketball season possible.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/30/20 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this is another interesting article and does have much more of the medical stuff that was asked about. If the contact tracing and 14-day quarantine for a positive test are still around, it could potentially have a pretty big effect on non-conference schedules.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketballs-biggest-question-will-daily-testing-allow-avoidance-of-contact-tracing-quarantine-rules/

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/30/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this assuming that the team is in its own wubble on campus? Or are they in class and/or social situations with the rest of the student body? I'd think schools have less to lose by quarantining a team than potentially infecting even more students and starting down that slippery slope.

I'd also think other students (and any litigious parents) are going to have a big gripe if athletes get expedited testing and shorter quarantines while other exposed students have to miss classes while getting cold food delivered during quarantine in their dorm rooms.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 09/30/20 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If things go on other campuses like ones that I’ve seen, I don’t think they have anything to worry about. A huge percentage of the players have already had Covid, have been quarantined, and are back in the gym.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/30/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, a previous COVID infection doesn't guarantee the patient can't become infected a second time. Antibodies can reportedly disappear in as little as three months. This has been a stumbling point in the attempts to develop a vaccine.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/20 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Is this assuming that the team is in its own wubble on campus? Or are they in class and/or social situations with the rest of the student body? I'd think schools have less to lose by quarantining a team than potentially infecting even more students and starting down that slippery slope.

I'd also think other students (and any litigious parents) are going to have a big gripe if athletes get expedited testing and shorter quarantines while other exposed students have to miss classes while getting cold food delivered during quarantine in their dorm rooms.

Well I believe the article mentioned they would do the testing on the student-athletes as close to practice time as possible because they know who they have been around after that test, but don't know after they leave practice and go to classes, etc. I think the whole point was that if they are conducting tests every day, there would be no need for quarantining the whole team if 1 player tests positive, otherwise why test them every day? As far as the rest of the student population is concerned, I'm sure the protocols would still apply and they would notify everyone that this person would have come in contact with during their normal routine over the last couple of days. This article is merely talking about basketball and the ability to potentially play games. Seriously... Rolling Eyes

Student-athletes get to select classes before the rest of the student body. They get to have private meals prepared just for them in a private dining hall. They get to travel charter. They are provided tutors whenever they need one at no cost to them. They are provided books for their classes at no cost to them. They have a private weight room/work out facility that is only for them while also being given personal trainers to help them maximize their workouts.

As far as cold food being delivered, I have been out of college for nearly 30 years and even I had a refrigerator and a microwave in my dorm room. Warm food was an option back then and with Uber eats, Door Dash and all the other delivery places, getting warm food is really not an issue.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
If things go on other campuses like ones that I’ve seen, I don’t think they have anything to worry about. A huge percentage of the players have already had Covid, have been quarantined, and are back in the gym.

Huge percentage? I’m certainly not seeing anything to support that here in the B1G.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because they’re not reporting it to the general public, it doesn’t mean that the infections aren’t happening. Players are going through quarantine very efficiently. On a local D2 men’s team, every player has now been diagnosed and recovered from Covid. These athletes hang out with other athletes, male and female, so if one player on the football team gets it, the football, basketball, soccer, etc. teams are all on alert, and the cases have spread.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/01/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That doesn't surprise me. The NYT tracking project shows >100K cases at colleges. It's not exactly something to celebrate. While most students had mild cases, some required ICU-level hospitalization and there have been some deaths, as well as deaths in college employees. Secondly, there's no guarantee those students won't get COVID a second time during the season and spread the disease around again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: