Board Junkies Forums

2021 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/22/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
One thing Aari McDonald can improve in senior season with Arizona women’s basketball

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/7/21/21332367/aari-mcdonald-arizona-wildcats-womens-college-basketball-improvement-2021-senior-wnba-adia-barnes

It seems she needs to improve on three things:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
2. Have fewer turnovers than assists
3. Grow three inches

McDonald has great production in college, but it's very hard for me to imagine her transitioning very well if she doesn't improve on those first two.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/22/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

McDonald has great production in college, but it's very hard for me to imagine her transitioning very well if she doesn't improve on those first two.

She’s underrated defensively, pretty Jordin Canada-like in that regard, so even if her offensive skills don’t improve further, I think she’ll still be able to carve out a back-up role. That alone sets her apart from the several other PG/CG prospects of this class imo, who are much more offense-oriented. I think if she can legitimately improve even just one of ATO and 3PT%, she deserves to be the first PG taken in the Draft (though improving both of course would be ideal). And even if she improves neither, this Draft is so weak in its American prospects that she might end up in a safe spot by being taken with a lottery pick anyway.

As for the height thing, it seems like virtually all of the “top” PG prospects in this class are small (5’8 or below, but mostly below), so I wonder what kind of effect that’ll have on Draft Day. I do think that height makes less of a difference in the guard spot than people tend to think, particularly if the player in question has better-than-average defensive aspects (on-ball defense, anticipation, long arms, etc.) to compensate.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/22/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

She’s underrated defensively, pretty Jordin Canada-like in that regard, so even if her offensive skills don’t improve further, I think she’ll still be able to carve out a back-up role. That alone sets her apart from the several other PG/CG prospects of this class imo, who are much more offense-oriented. I think if she can legitimately improve even just one of ATO and 3PT%, she deserves to be the first PG taken in the Draft (though improving both of course would be ideal). And even if she improves neither, this Draft is so weak in its American prospects that she might end up in a safe spot by being taken with a lottery pick anyway.

As for the height thing, it seems like virtually all of the “top” PG prospects in this class are small (5’8 or below, but mostly below), so I wonder what kind of effect that’ll have on Draft Day. I do think that height makes less of a difference in the guard spot than people tend to think, particularly if the player in question has better-than-average defensive aspects (on-ball defense, anticipation, long arms, etc.) to compensate.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on that one.

If she was playing this year, she would be tied with Canada as the third-shortest player in the league. Dangerfield shocked people when she fell to the second round, but it was pretty clear that her height did it for her.

If McDonald thinks making 3s is hard now, wait until she is pretty much the shortest player on the court.

It's unlikely she develops into a whole new player at this point, but I think that is what she would have to do to compensate for her height. People are talking about her as a lottery pick, and you don't spend a lottery pick on someone who might be able to hang on as a decent back-up because of defense.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/22/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Andrea Riley Jr when i think of McDonald.

PostPosted: 07/22/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
stever wrote:
Quote:
One thing Aari McDonald can improve in senior season with Arizona women’s basketball

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2020/7/21/21332367/aari-mcdonald-arizona-wildcats-womens-college-basketball-improvement-2021-senior-wnba-adia-barnes

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

seems like this could also describe Chennady Carter, but lots of people seem to think she's gonna be a starter for Atlanta!?

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/22/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

If she was playing this year, she would be tied with Canada as the third-shortest player in the league. Dangerfield shocked people when she fell to the second round, but it was pretty clear that her height did it for her.

If McDonald thinks making 3s is hard now, wait until she is pretty much the shortest player on the court.

It's unlikely she develops into a whole new player at this point, but I think that is what she would have to do to compensate for her height. People are talking about her as a lottery pick, and you don't spend a lottery pick on someone who might be able to hang on as a decent back-up because of defense.

I do think her current offensive abilities are also being undersold here - 20+ PPG on over 50% 2PT at a Power-5 school isn't nothing. McDonald's a very good scorer inside the arc, which I think will at least somewhat translate to the pros. She has both speed and more importantly that explosiveness that allow her to get to the rim, where the lefty is highly adept at finishing through contact with either hand or drawing a foul (or both); if she didn't have that gear-shifting turn-the-corner ability, it's a different story (see Kelsey Plum). She also has imo a pretty consistent pull-up jumper. So I'm just saying that while we're all aware of her weaknesses, I think she's being sold a bit 'short' per se with her strengths. But even if she only becomes a career bench player in the W, all the various bench-player adages fit her really well - instant offense, instant energy, a change of pace, etc.; she could thrive anyway. And again, the 2021 Draft looks to be a total crapshoot where, barring early-declarers, it seems like all of the prospects individually have a non-injury-related chance of flaming out.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/25/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Collier would be a top prospect for 2021 if she were to enter. Maybe not a lottery pick, but things would depend on how she develops next season.

I like her as a Lottery pick, not that it means anything. Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 09/05/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS 26-8
CON 23-11
IND 13-21
DAL 10-24
NYL 10-24
ATL 8-26

CON 8-10
DAL 6-12
WAS* 5-12
IND 5-13
ATL 5-13
NYL 2-15

2019+2020
WAS* 31-20 (Can do no better than 4th best odds at #1 pick, unless CON also ends up in the lottery)
CON 31-21
DAL 16-36
IND 18-34 (Current 3rd best odds of #1 pick)
ATL 13-39 (Current 2nd best odds of #1 pick)
NYL 12-39 (Current best odds of #1 pick)

Current lottery team
* WAS first round pick in 2021 owned by DAL in three-team Tina Charles trade.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 09/06/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS 26-8
CON 23-11
IND 13-21
DAL 10-24
NYL 10-24
ATL 8-26

CON 9-10
DAL 6-12
WAS* 5-12
IND 5-14
ATL 5-14
NYL 2-16

2019+2020
WAS* 31-20 (Can do no better than 4th best odds at #1 pick)
CON 32-21
DAL 16-36
IND 18-35 (Can do no better than 3rd best odds of #1 pick)
ATL 13-40 (Current 2nd best odds of #1 pick)
NYL 12-40 (Current best odds of #1 pick)

Current lottery team

Remaining games
CON: PHX, PHX, ATL
DAL: WAS, SEA, CHI, NYL
WAS: DAL, MIN, LAS, NYL, ATL
IND: LVA, NYL, MIN
ATL: CHI, CON, WAS
NYL: LAS, IND, WAS, DAL

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/06/20 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

Seeing Dangerfield play this year, I admit that I perhaps know nothing about anything.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/06/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Seeing Dangerfield play this year, I admit that I perhaps know nothing about anything.

That’s pretty much all of us though, with guessing who we think will succeed as a pro & who we think won’t lol.

I will say, I wonder if there’ll be any sort of Dangerfield Effect in next year’s small PG-heavy Draft. We could see several more small guards than we think get drafted in higher-than-predicted spots just because of Dangerfield’s success. Although a big caveat to it all that pro coaches should consider when scouting would be that Dangerfield went to UConn, a program that just trains people differently than other programs do. It’d be wild if we saw a bunch of teams use their 1st-rounders on these PGs, only for nearly all of them to become busts and flame out early. Twisted Evil

Shades

PostPosted: 09/07/20 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS 26-8
CON 23-11
IND 13-21
DAL 10-24
NYL 10-24
ATL 8-26

CON 9-10
DAL 7-12
WAS* 5-13
IND 5-14
ATL 5-14
NYL 2-16

2019+2020
WAS* 31-21 (Can do no better than 4th best odds at #1 pick)
CON 32-21
DAL 17-36

Current lottery team

Remaining games
CON: PHX, PHX, ATL
DAL: SEA, CHI, NYL
WAS: MIN, LAS, NYL, ATL

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/07/20 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

1. Learn to shoot 3s
3. Grow three inches

You make it sound like she is not typically the shortest player on the court in college. How many games this year was she not the shortest player on court, or even in her career. She has learned to adapt and uses her athleticism and strength to make up for her lack of speed. There aren’t many players in the college game that can finish with contact like she does and in the open court she has gotten better at utilizing her speed and has improved her pull up jumper.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/07/20 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS 26-8
IND 13-21
DAL 10-24
NYL 10-24
ATL 8-26

DAL 7-12
WAS* 5-13
IND 5-14
ATL 5-14
NYL 2-16

2019+2020
WAS* 31-21 (Can do no better than 4th best odds at #1 pick)
DAL 17-36

Current lottery team

Remaining games
WAS: MIN, LAS, NYL, ATL

Connecticut lands a playoff spot.
Four teams left battling for that one last spot.

blaase22

PostPosted: 09/08/20 12:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this draft class going to give 2007 and 2017 a run for their money?

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/08/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Is this draft class going to give 2007 and 2017 a run for their money?

yes.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 09/08/20 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You will know it is a lousy draft if the Dream win the lottery.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/20 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

The one time the Dream won the lottery it turned out to a very good draft

Besides, we all know Dallas (with Washington's pick) is going to win

PostPosted: 09/08/20 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

The one time the Dream won the lottery it turned out to a very good draft

Besides, we all know Dallas (with Washington's pick) is going to win

The year where dominant posts are non existent Confused

PostPosted: 09/08/20 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any possible early entries to redeem this draft?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/20 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Any possible early entries to redeem this draft?

There’s one that’s always talked about, Charli Collier. She’s a stretch five that would probably work well with what the Liberty do.

Evina Westbrook, but I don’t consider her a game-changer.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=31

Last edited by Shades on 09/24/20 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/08/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a mock draft, but here's my ranking of the Top 10 prospects, assuming everyone fulfills their eligibility.

1. Michaela Onyenwere
2. Rennia Davis
3. Natasha Mack
4. Awak Kuier
5. Tiana Mangakahia
6. Arella Guirantes
7. Dana Evans
8. Iliana Rupert
9. Kiana Williams
10. Unique Thompson

If Collier or Westbrook declare early, slot them in at #3 and move everyone else down. Also, note that McDonald isn't on this list.

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/08/20 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While thinking about a few other things, I learned that Juste Jocyte was born in the United States. Under current rules, that keeps her out of the WNBA until 2027 instead of being able to join in 2025 if she was born elsewhere.
Shades

PostPosted: 09/08/20 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS 26-8
IND 13-21
DAL 10-24
NYL 10-24
ATL 8-26

DAL 7-12
WAS* 6-13
IND 5-15
ATL 5-14
NYL 2-17

2019+2020
WAS* 32-21 (Can do no better than 4th best odds at #1 pick)
IND 18-36 (Can do no better than 3rd best odds of #1 pick)
DAL 17-36
NYL 12-41 (Current best odds of #1 pick)

Current lottery team

Remaining games
WAS: LAS, NYL, ATL
IND: NYL, MIN
NYL: IND, WAS, DAL

Fever officially out of the playoffs.
Three teams left battling for that one last playoff spot.

Last edited by Shades on 09/09/20 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Not a mock draft, but here's my ranking of the Top 10 prospects, assuming everyone fulfills their eligibility.

1. Michaela Onyenwere
2. Rennia Davis
3. Natasha Mack
4. Awak Kuier
5. Tiana Mangakahia
6. Arella Guirantes
7. Dana Evans
8. Iliana Rupert
9. Kiana Williams
10. Unique Thompson

If Collier or Westbrook declare early, slot them in at #3 and move everyone else down. Also, note that McDonald isn't on this list.

Genuine question - have any of the people ranking Awak Kuier as some kind of lottery talent actually seen her play for more than about 30 seconds of Youtube clips?

awhom111 wrote:
While thinking about a few other things, I learned that Juste Jocyte was born in the United States. Under current rules, that keeps her out of the WNBA until 2027 instead of being able to join in 2025 if she was born elsewhere.

Which is so dumb. Really poorly written rule, that they've never bothered to rephrase through several CBAs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 4 of 53

Jump to: