Leilani Mitchell, Washington
DeWanna Bonner, Connecticut
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Connecticut
Natasha Howard, Seattle
Epiphanny Prince, Seattle

Kayla Thornton, Dallas
Shenise Johnson, Minnesota
Kayla Alexander, Minnesota

I'd be surprised if Howard ultimately opted out, but her absence is a bit concerning. Although, I don't know where she lives in the offseason - if it's Florida (as a result of her being a Florida State grad), it would make complete sense for her to just sit tight where she is and meet up with the team on-site. And if she really is opting out, it would at least allow Russell to continue starting and give Magbegor (and Tuck I suppose) a bigger role - though her absence would absolutely hurt our title chances.

Prince imo would hurt her W career by opting out, being an aging vet who's slowly losing her 'spot' in the League. Though she's more replaceable at this point, so I wouldn't be shedding tears. I'd either bring Gorecki back or bring in Brittany Boyd.

Boy though, it would really be a different year if some of the big-time names on this list opt out - especially those of the defending champs. Shocked

toad455

PostPosted: 07/06/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6 Storm players flew charter to Florida. The flight was not paid for by the league or the Storm. Bird, Stewart and Loyd were three of the players.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 07/06/20 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Seattle Times posted a story about the Storm players heading to Florida. It sounds like all the players are expected to be there from the article and the way Stewie is talking.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/uncertain-what-awaits-them-because-of-coronavirus-storm-players-head-to-florida-for-season/

-Lisa

PostPosted: 07/06/20 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Bird, who is the WNBA Players Association vice president, added: “You could maybe even make the argument that as a player you’re safer in the clean site than you are in your own home. … At the end of the day, you have to trust people. That’s what this protocol is really all based on, trusting people.”

I’ve been saying the same thing. Players that live in places like Miami and Phoenix are probably relieved to get inside the bubble.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/06/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...so long as they don't get it on the plane going there. And Seattle is furtherest away so will spend the most time on the plane. I'm just crossing fingers that everybody stays healthy!

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/12/20 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird says she didn't consider opting out of the 2020 season over the virus.

Quote:
Seattle Storm guard Sue Bird said Saturday that she thought if she didn't play this WNBA season, her career might be over.

cass

PostPosted: 08/03/20 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok seeing some discussion about this on individual game threads but it's been a weird time for the storm though not necessarily a bad thing--stewie coming off a year of rehab seems to have transformed her game a little bit & is a different player than we're used to, howard definitely not meshing as well as she has the past two seasons, loyd her usual hot & cold, clark her usual consistent self, & bird having some good games so far. we have such a good bench this season & so much potential that's being developed in tandem w/ our starters that makes the future of this team exciting even if we just get to the playoffs this year. i guess i'm most interested in what's going to happen with howard...will we work this out?? was the whooping by the mystics a fluke from underplanning & exhaustion? seems like we got our experimental roster year out of the way last year & have less unknowns to work through than other teams--less room for discovery & more room to work w/ what we know.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/03/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cass wrote:
i guess i'm most interested in what's going to happen with howard...will we work this out??

I too am puzzled by Howard’s slow start. Maybe she needs to watch more film from 2018 to remember how she fits in with the talent around her? Idk. She just doesn’t look very comfortable on either end of the floor, especially with her newfound foul proneness. Hopefully she isn’t injured in any way.

Nevertheless, it won’t be a huge problem so long as we can stay atop the standings because of our depth, but it’ll make her future in doubt if she can’t shake this slow start. I’m pretty sure that Howard, Clark, and Whitcomb are free agents next year (in terms of integral players), and Canada will be eligible for an extension, which I think she’ll get given the Storm’s prior willingness to do so with others. Although if we’re tight again with our cap space, Howard coming off a down year will make those contract negotiations that much more interesting... But again, that’s only if she stays inconsistent for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed that won’t be the case. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone’s contract gets extended towards the end of the season.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/03/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird(knee) & Prince(personal) are both out for the Storm's game tomorrow.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/03/20 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
cass wrote:
i guess i'm most interested in what's going to happen with howard...will we work this out??

I too am puzzled by Howard’s slow start. Maybe she needs to watch more film from 2018 to remember how she fits in with the talent around her? Idk. She just doesn’t look very comfortable on either end of the floor, especially with her newfound foul proneness. Hopefully she isn’t injured in any way.

Nevertheless, it won’t be a huge problem so long as we can stay atop the standings because of our depth, but it’ll make her future in doubt if she can’t shake this slow start. I’m pretty sure that Howard, Clark, and Whitcomb are free agents next year (in terms of integral players), and Canada will be eligible for an extension, which I think she’ll get given the Storm’s prior willingness to do so with others. Although if we’re tight again with our cap space, Howard coming off a down year will make those contract negotiations that much more interesting... But again, that’s only if she stays inconsistent for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed that won’t be the case. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone’s contract gets extended towards the end of the season.

I wonder if Stewart getting a new contract, while Howard is still on an old one might have her a little bummed.

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 08/03/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Howard's malaise comes from the coaching change. I know that Hughes was a huge fan of hers and pushed to get her signed. Perhaps not having that level of enthusiasm from the coach has an effect?

I don't like Klop's rotations as much as Hughes, that's for sure. I mean, he's getting the job done, so no major complaints. But I feel like Sami is underutilized. The post rotation feels off to me also, with Magbegor getting a lot of minutes over Russell and even Langhorne who is more consistent finishing around the basket. That said, I'm impressed with Magbegor and giving her minutes to develop is never a bad thing if we're winning games. Might play into Howard's malaise, though, if the rookie is getting nearly as many minutes.

Wholly unimpressed with Prince. Seems like she just misses threes right now and not much else. That signing is a mystery to me. If she was brought in to back up Canada when Bird rests it seems like there should have been much better options. Or just play Sami more!!

Did Bird injure her knee again, or do they have to claim an injury to rest her?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird reportedly has a bone bruise

PostPosted: 08/03/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mixolydian wrote:
I wonder if Howard's malaise comes from the coaching change. I know that Hughes was a huge fan of hers and pushed to get her signed. Perhaps not having that level of enthusiasm from the coach has an effect?

It must be. Just like on the Lynx when Jim Petersen was an assistant vs when he then quit coaching to focus soley on his primary job as Timberwolves broadcaster. It must take special people to get into her head to maximize her potential.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/03/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bird reportedly has a bone bruise

toad455 wrote:
Bird(knee) & Prince(personal) are both out for the Storm's game tomorrow.

So we likely won't see Bird for several games. Sad And no Prince - I wonder if her reasoning for being out is severe enough to where she has to leave the wubble? Let's hope it's not a prolonged absence for either - and let's hope nothing happens to Canada in the meantime. At least Loyd, Whitcomb, and maybe even Stewie can back up the PG, but it certainly wouldn't be ideal for any to do so. Let's see how you adjust to this, Klop.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 08/03/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was reading a local reporter's article about the last game and he questioned Klop about Howard's slow start. In the answer, I learned a few things that shed light on the situation.

First off, Howard was late coming to the Wubble and didn't have much time to practice with the team. I was wondering about this myself as I didn't see Howard in any of the pictures of video that the Storm was showing of training camp. No reason was given for her late arrival.

Secondly, it turns out that Howard had very few options for training while the world was in lockdown, and Klop said that she came to the Wubble out of shape and will need to work herself back into game shape. This makes a lot of sense as I don't see a lot of the explosion and athletic ability on display each game like we saw the last two years.

My guess is that Howard will continue to improve as the season goes along, though I wonder if she will be able to get back to how she was last year because of the fatigue factor.

PostPosted: 08/04/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29590899/storm-sue-bird-sidelined-left-knee-bone-bruise

Quote:
"It's basically day-to-day"

Heal up soon, Birdy!

sithinfiltrator wrote:
First off, Howard was late coming to the Wubble and didn't have much time to practice with the team. I was wondering about this myself as I didn't see Howard in any of the pictures of video that the Storm was showing of training camp. No reason was given for her late arrival.

Secondly, it turns out that Howard had very few options for training while the world was in lockdown, and Klop said that she came to the Wubble out of shape and will need to work herself back into game shape. This makes a lot of sense as I don't see a lot of the explosion and athletic ability on display each game like we saw the last two years.

Thanks for the insight! It makes more sense now. Hopefully she can get herself rounded into shape by the end of this month - and doesn't suffer any setbacks in the process.

TDAO

PostPosted: 08/04/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reminder that Klop was the acting head coach for the first nine games of last season, when all Howard did was average 19.2 ppg and 9.6 rpg.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/20 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince has left the wubble for personal reasons. No timetable for her return.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_WomenHoop/status/1290734004325425152

pilight

PostPosted: 08/04/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince has left the wubble

PostPosted: 08/04/20 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might be time for the Storm to sign Marta Xargay to hardship exemption contract. Trade the rights to Kitija Laksa to the Mercury for Xargay.

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 08/04/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
I was reading a local reporter's article about the last game and he questioned Klop about Howard's slow start. In the answer, I learned a few things that shed light on the situation.

Thanks for sharing this! Definitely explains a lot and I'm glad it's just conditioning.

toad455 wrote:
Prince has left the wubble for personal reasons. No timetable for her return.

Oh I hope everything is OK. I feel bad I was criticizing her game recently, who knows what she's dealing with personally. Sad

Shades

PostPosted: 08/04/20 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Waived or not? If waived, bring in Gorecki, SEA’s third round pick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/04/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

No. Left for personal reasons. No timetable for her return.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 08/04/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

I wouldn't hate this move, but with Prince and Bird out, I'd want us to bring in more of a back-up PG, not unlike New York - and Gorecki just isn't that. And the Storm are working with 10 players, so we can't sign anyone to a hardship exemption contract yet (unless someone else is out as well). But if Prince actually ends up vacating her roster spot, or if something happens to someone else where we'd be down to 9 players for a little while, I'd call up someone like Brittany Boyd. Although it doesn't sound like Prince is truly gone gone - it sounds more like even Klop doesn't know her situation, judging by the espnw article toad linked. Neutral

Quote:
"There's a quarantine period when she comes back, so I'm not exactly sure the timeframe on that," Kloppenburg said. "It seems like it changes week to week what they say about that with the quarantine protocol. We'll find out probably pretty soon what the situation is with her."

Guess we have to wait and see.

TDAO

PostPosted: 08/04/20 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I interpreted "the situation with her" as referring to the previous comment about the WNBA's protocol for quarantining on arrival/return.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: