RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers/injuries/etc. 19-20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/31/20 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke adds Sara Anastazieska, a grad transfer from Cal. Sara A. from Australia originally transferred from UTSA after her freshman season as a 3 pt. shooter, but she never proved out in Berkeley. As a starter last season she shot only 28% from beyond the arc.

An interesting first recruit for Lawson; she will need better if she intends to return Duke to its former glory.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/01/20 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Duke adds Sara Anastazieska, a grad transfer from Cal. Sara A. from Australia originally transferred from UTSA after her freshman season as a 3 pt. shooter, but she never proved out in Berkeley. As a starter last season she shot only 28% from beyond the arc.

An interesting first recruit for Lawson; she will need better if she intends to return Duke to its former glory.

Seems like the player got the better end of this deal: one year of free graduate education in return for what could (likely) range from only conference games being played to no games played at all.

Duke recently extended an offer to Grace Van Slooten who plays at Toledo Notre Dame Academy. GVS has many (39 according to one source) offers, including from almost every Big Ten school (which matters in the Upper Midwest), and 8 from colleges and universities affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church, (which also often matters if one is devout or from a devout household). Many schools with top academics are in the mix. It will be interesting to see where she goes.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/01/20 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
Duke recently extended an offer to Grace Van Slooten who plays at Toledo Notre Dame Academy. GVS has many (39 according to one source) offers, including from almost every Big Ten school (which matters in the Upper Midwest), and 8 from colleges and universities affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church, (which also often matters if one is devout or from a devout household). Many schools with top academics are in the mix. It will be interesting to see where she goes.

She is a tremendous player and the complete package: good kid, strong academically, good overall game. Not sure where she is ranked in the Class of '22, but it would have to be in the Top 20 at least I would think. She is definitely an elite prospect, very fun to watch. Her ceiling is very high.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 08/01/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

She originally committed to JPM as a Grad Transfer.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 08/01/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
OutdoorsKid wrote:

She is a tremendous player and the complete package: good kid, strong academically, good overall game. Not sure where she is ranked in the Class of '22, but it would have to be in the Top 20 at least I would think. She is definitely an elite prospect, very fun to watch. Her ceiling is very high.

#14, I think.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/03/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Penn State’s leading scorer has entered the portal. Kamaria McDaniel was second in B1G in PPG.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-womens-basketball-star-kamaria-mcdaniel-enters-transfer-portal,1483745/

Wow, this is extremely late. I wonder if she already has a destination in mind. I mean, tomorrow is August 1st. Many schools have had players back on campus for a couple of weeks now. This is weird timing.

I thought the same thing. I wonder if she is finishing her degree early and will grad transfer. McDaniel was the last of Coquese’s players from Michigan. The others transferred to Michigan State.

McDaniel is going to Baylor.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/04/20 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Penn State’s leading scorer has entered the portal. Kamaria McDaniel was second in B1G in PPG.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-womens-basketball-star-kamaria-mcdaniel-enters-transfer-portal,1483745/

Wow, this is extremely late. I wonder if she already has a destination in mind. I mean, tomorrow is August 1st. Many schools have had players back on campus for a couple of weeks now. This is weird timing.

I thought the same thing. I wonder if she is finishing her degree early and will grad transfer. McDaniel was the last of Coquese’s players from Michigan. The others transferred to Michigan State.

McDaniel is going to Baylor.

That was fast!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/31/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivian Gray has left Oklahoma State and entered the portal as of the 27th. She's already graduated and will be available immediately. This is a huge loss for OSU and will be a huge boost to whoever lands her.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 09/01/20 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cowgirl basketball lost a key bench player to a conference foe after her mother was hired as the coach. Bryn Gerlich, a junior from Colleyville, Texas, announced on her Instagram will transfer to Texas Tech. Bryn played in 28 games for the Cowgirls in the 2019-20 season. She averaged 8.3 points per game and was a vital part of the Cowgirls’ defensive gameplan.
Bryn transfer comes days after her mother, Krista Gerlich, was named head coach at Texas Tech.

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/bryn-gerlich-transfers-to-texas-tech-to-play-with-her-mother/article_73bc5098-e353-11ea-93e6-0f8f5ae65b28.html

Krista Gerlich is married to Bryan Gerlich, who is also a Texas Tech graduate and a former linebacker on the Red Raider football team (1987-1992). The couple has a daughter, Bryn, and a son, Brayden. Rolling Eyes

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 09/01/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Cowgirl basketball lost a key bench player to a conference foe after her mother was hired as the coach. Bryn Gerlich, a junior from Colleyville, Texas, announced on her Instagram will transfer to Texas Tech. Bryn played in 28 games for the Cowgirls in the 2019-20 season. She averaged 8.3 points per game and was a vital part of the Cowgirls’ defensive gameplan.
Bryn transfer comes days after her mother, Krista Gerlich, was named head coach at Texas Tech.

https://www.ocolly.com/sports/bryn-gerlich-transfers-to-texas-tech-to-play-with-her-mother/article_73bc5098-e353-11ea-93e6-0f8f5ae65b28.html

Krista Gerlich is married to Bryan Gerlich, who is also a Texas Tech graduate and a former linebacker on the Red Raider football team (1987-1992). The couple has a daughter, Bryn, and a son, Brayden. Rolling Eyes

That's the former Krista Kirkland from the TT title team, right?
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 09/02/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Article states she averaged 8.3 ppg. She averaged 8.3 minutes per game and 2.0 ppg.

Carol Anne wrote:

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 09/12/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivian Gray follows Bryn to TTU. Great get for the new coach before her first game.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 09/12/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andra Espinoza-Hunter elects to forego her senior season at Mississippi State

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/14/20 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lyndsey Whilby has "opted out" of playing this upcoming season due to the covid-19 situation. She was going to be a senior. Judging by her quoted tweet, it certainly seems like she won't be coming back next year. Actually, can those who decide not to play this year actually get that year back (assuming, of course, that there is a basketball season)?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/09/14/purdue-womens-basketball-senior-lyndsey-whilby-sit-out-2020-21-season/5792889002/

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 09/14/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For fall sports, yes, the player gets an additional year of eligibility (but not necesssarily financial support). Insofar as I know, no word yet from NCAA on spring 2021 sports.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/news/fall-athletes-approved-year-eligibility

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/15/20 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Lyndsey Whilby has "opted out" of playing this upcoming season due to the covid-19 situation. She was going to be a senior. Judging by her quoted tweet, it certainly seems like she won't be coming back next year. Actually, can those who decide not to play this year actually get that year back (assuming, of course, that there is a basketball season)?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/09/14/purdue-womens-basketball-senior-lyndsey-whilby-sit-out-2020-21-season/5792889002/

Unless the NCAA makes a new ruling I assume anyone who sits out this season will be treated as a redshirt in terms of they will have another year of eligibility, unless they’ve already redshirted then they will need to submit a waiver to the NCAA if they want to play another season.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/09/20 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This just came across my phone. Dara Mabrey gets immediate eligibility at ND. Let the whining begin!!!!!

I'd have to think long and hard about playing this season. Will it be worth it? IDK.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/ncaa-grants-transfer-guard-dara-mabrey-immediate-eligibility-at-notre-dame/article_781ca36c-2b9b-5f56-9ff4-72fee9941ed3.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/11/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'd have to think long and hard about playing this season. Will it be worth it? IDK.

I completely agree. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot like when someone learned how to drive a stick shift car. There was a lot of start/stop and herky jerky movements and whiplash. When you see the debacle that has gone on in the pro sports as well as college football (didn't I see that Baylor shut down football for 2 weeks?), it doesn't bode well for college hoops.

~UK~

PostPosted: 10/15/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olivia Owens transfer from Maryland granted immediate eligibility at UK

https://ukathletics.com/news/2020/10/15/womens-basketball-olivia-owens-granted-immediate-eligibility-by-ncaa.aspx

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 10/15/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA has approved an additional year of eligibility for winter sport athletes, regardless of what happens this season. They don’t want players to opt out of playing this year for fear of what may happen. However, it is up to the individual schools whether or not to grant that extra year / scholarship, depending on if they have available room or money.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/15/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
The NCAA has approved an additional year of eligibility for winter sport athletes, regardless of what happens this season. They don’t want players to opt out of playing this year for fear of what may happen. However, it is up to the individual schools whether or not to grant that extra year / scholarship, depending on if they have available room or money.

Geno doesn't like it because it may put coaches between Scylla and Charybdis with respect to seniors:

Quote:
UConn women's coach Geno Auriemma said he thought a lot of his fellow coaches would object to the adjusted eligibility rule.

"I don't have to worry about -- I don't have any seniors," Auriemma said. "But I think you're going to have a lot of coaches that are going to go, 'You're putting me in a tough spot here.' Because now you're going to have some seniors go, 'Hey, I want to stay.' And then you've got a coach going, like, 'I wasn't planning on you staying.' Now what are you going to do -- turn the kid out?

"I don't like it. If you lose your season, I can see that. If you say, 'Hey, look, the fall sports guys, you lost your season. We'll give that back to you.' I can see that. That makes sense. But how are you going to let somebody play a whole season and then give them another year?"

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30116895/ncaa-grants-extra-year-eligibility-all-winter-sport-athletes
tfan

PostPosted: 10/16/20 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the coaches have to think longer and harder than the players. At least the gray haired ones like Gary Blair.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/16/20 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I thought the coaches have to think longer and harder than the players. At least the gray haired ones like Gary Blair.

Not if they subscribe to vitamin B12, and herbal supplements like ginkgo biloba and omega 3 fatty acids......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: