Board Junkies Forums

Aces vs Mercury - 7/31/20
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Seeing Diana play like Diana makes me so happy. BG still doesn’t seem totally locked in. I’m feeling much better about the team after tonight.

That latter part of the 3rd quarter, when we actually showed some fight and composure against the tide, was especially pleasing for me.

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beautiful pass from Turner to Diggins

Tally24

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I’d like to think Muffett is smiling somewhere watching.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I’d like to think Muffett is smiling somewhere watching.

I'm sure. Skylar and Bri were definitely two of her favorite players.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course I miss this game. Laughing

Glad to see Cunningham starting. I’ll watch the game when I can .

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't watch any of the games live Laughing Laughing

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that was something. 4 of the 5 starters scored in double digits, with Turner being a point away.

Skylar and Diana were terrific. Much more active and aggressive. This created so much effective ball movement and the 3s were falling left and right. When it comes to Diana, I hope she is able to rest more throughout games as the season goes along. However, it was great to see her playing like this again. And it was great to see Skylar getting comfortable and having fun.

Sophie was a much needed boost in the starting lineup. It was so nice to finally have production at the SF spot. She really flustered Angel in the first half with the activity and physicality, she was even able to send one of Angel’s shots back. It was nice to see her energy rewarded with all the touchdown passes resulting in layups for her at the other end. I think the momentum of the game shifted when she got the steal and score for the and-1 opportunity when the game was still tight.

Hartley has really performed thus far, and I like how her minutes were staggered. Gave her chances to play with both the starting group and bench squad. It also was nice to see Vaughn forcing Wilson to work for positioning in the paint and added a few baskets, which will always be a boost if she regularly can.

Coffey had a nice block. I’m not sure what happened with SWK, as she didn’t even play. Hopefully she can gain time in the rotation, because PHX can’t afford to go 9 deep. I still think having Cooper would’ve been beneficial, another pesky defender is always welcome. Another post would’ve been helpful as well so BG wouldn’t have to rack up so many minutes each game.

Last edited by TotalCardinalMove on 07/31/20 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 07/31/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Vegas, there has got to be a way to get some guards that are actually viable options offensively. Aja did her best to keep them in it, but it simply wasn’t enough. She also faded towards the end of the game, probably due to just being fatigued. I’m not sure why Hamby wasn’t more aggressive, she really was invisible this game.

Sugar was a bright spot off the bench, but she’s not really able to bring it defensively. Same goes for McBride, who gave up several easy baskets due to players blowing right by her.

Angel came on late, but she didn’t do much of anything in the first half.
That just can’t happen if Vegas wants to be competitive in games going forward.

Young really has regressed. Can’t finish layups, and hasn’t been able to do much defensively either. She’s been invisible in pretty much every game thus far.

Moving forward, Bill really needs to make adjustments to the offense. This pound it in the paint style is not going to work against teams with potent perimeter options. In this day and age, you simply cannot afford to trade 2s for 3s.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/01/20 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Maybe you shouldn't watch any of the games live Laughing Laughing

Jinx?

PostPosted: 08/01/20 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got a chance to see it.

First...the Mercury have had..what..three techs this year, and none from Diana Taurasi? Shocked

Cunningham needs to continue to start. She brings energy, defense, and an offensive aggression. Her and Hartley's perimeter defense was fantastic. A ton of tips (and energy again). I can't remember the last time I saw that good of perimeter defense on the Mercury.

Diana and Skylar had really really mature solid games. They controlled the game. They're obviously not going shoot this great every game (they can shoot more then..), but really good all around games. Skylar's defense looked better too. (Actually, Diana's defense looked better for her. She must have really wanted this win. Laughing )

Griner is such a funny player. Things that you expect she should be good at - because of her size..she isn't. But then..her size should prevent her from doing some things she does do. How smooth was that take to the basket on the fast break? She looked like a guard. And she's an excellent passer. She also rebounded well this game, and was a bit more aggressive. She misses too many bunnies though.

Turner had an excellent game, but I want more Smith. Smith is an excellent compliment to Griner, and was good in the limited minutes she saw. Give her Vaugn's minutes, and Vaugn and Turner can have the remaining post minutes (whichever is playing better.) Smith really looks like she could be an excellent player.

I like the role Sandy has carved out for Coffey. Role playing minutes for defensive purposes.

I do want to see more of the Skylar/Bria/Diana backcourt together. That's likely to be our end of game lineup (unless Bria is playing really bad and Cunningham is playing really good), and it's important they gel.

If the right players are played, Griner plays like one of the best players in the league..and the Diana/Skylar/Bria backcourt can be consistent..this team is dangerous.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: