91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Fever
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Randy

PostPosted: 07/30/20 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Brondello's seat starting to get a bit warm?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/30/20 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
So is Brondello's seat starting to get a bit warm?

Doubt it , just 2 games in . Maybe 10 games

PostPosted: 07/30/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Maybe Stanley got McCowan's attention by having her watch most of game one.

*You make 25 of 27 free throws you're going to win a lot of games.

*Skylar and DT combine for nine shots, but nine assists and one turnover. I watched some of this game but not closely enough to know if this was a conscious "Make someone else beat us" strategy.

*Julie Allemand looks like a player and runs like a player, but I'm not sure she is one at this level. But I'm not sure she isn't either ...

PostPosted: 07/30/20 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

*Skylar and DT combine for nine shots, but nine assists and one turnover. I watched some of this game but not closely enough to know if this was a conscious "Make someone else beat us" strategy.

When Taurasi takes five shots in a game it's because of how she's decided to play that night. It was just one of those incredibly passive, invisible performances from her that became worryingly common for a couple of years before she had her bounce-back season in 2018.

Even though you'd like to see her more involved in the offense - and basically having the game that Hartley had - I was more worried by Diggins-Smith's defense than anything. With Taurasi out there as well, and even Griner not the deterrent that she once was, it's going to be hard to stop anyone if she's that awful defensively.

And personally, I've been asking questions about Brondello for years. My feeling is that her seat should've been significantly toasty for quite a while.

PostPosted: 07/30/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

When Taurasi takes five shots in a game it's because of how she's decided to play that night. It was just one of those incredibly passive, invisible performances from her that became worryingly common for a couple of years before she had her bounce-back season in 2018.

Even though you'd like to see her more involved in the offense - and basically having the game that Hartley had - I was more worried by Diggins-Smith's defense than anything. With Taurasi out there as well, and even Griner not the deterrent that she once was, it's going to be hard to stop anyone if she's that awful defensively.

And personally, I've been asking questions about Brondello for years. My feeling is that her seat should've been significantly toasty for quite a while.

Agree completely. The team has been underperforming for years. But I doubt her seat is all that toasty in the Wubble because of the wubble.

I wonder how much both Skylar and DT passiveness is because of the lack of organized basketball they’ve played.

Meanwhile, someone like Hartley played high stakes competitive basketball last off season, and had time to let her body recover. It’s no wonder that she’s looked the most comfortable of the guards.

Personally I’m more worried about Griner than anyone. She doesn’t have the “hasn’t played organized basketball in almost two years” excuse, and she looks..bad. Her defense has been terrible. She’s been soft around the rim. And she still struggles anytime she doesn’t have a huge size advantage. After 2018, I thought she was about to emerge as the best player in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 07/30/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

+1. Things have quietly gone downhill since their 2014 title run, where Brondello had allllll the talent to work with. They still looked pretty good offensively last night shooting near 50% and committing single-digit turnovers - they lost the game at the FT line, but at least got there often. It's really the defensive end - whatever defensive emphasis Brondello's wanted to place on the team since her arrival appears to be long gone. And imo she has good talent to work with, so it shouldn't be one of those situations where she's got her work cut out for her. I'd say she just isn't that good of a coach. Razz

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/30/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

+1. Things have quietly gone downhill since their 2014 title run, where Brondello had allllll the talent to work with. They still looked pretty good offensively last night shooting near 50% and committing single-digit turnovers - they lost the game at the FT line, but at least got there often. It's really the defensive end - whatever defensive emphasis Brondello's wanted to place on the team since her arrival appears to be long gone. And imo she has good talent to work with, so it shouldn't be one of those situations where she's got her work cut out for her. I'd say she just isn't that good of a coach. Razz

The thing is too, outside of DT..it isn't like there are defensive liabilities on the team.

Like..Griner, Smith, Turner, Cunningham, Diggins, Hartley, Coffey aren't bad defensive players. Phoenix should be able to hide DT on the weakest player with this group.

PostPosted: 07/30/20 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know, outside DT, the rest of the team is not 'that' old, but in this game they just looked old and slow. Maybe it's just compared to the youngsters on Indy, but it's not a good look, especially in early games of a season where they will be playing a lot of games with very little time between. JMO

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: