91%
 91%  [ 21 ]
Dream
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

BamaEd

PostPosted: 07/27/20 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to admit, I was worried about this game. No Angel, No Tiffany, No Renee, No Jessica. Add in a rookie point guard and No Courtney, No Glory, No Kalani. I thought chemistry would be an issue, but it really wasn't today. I think playing another young team helped though. But despite some first game jitters, rust, and errors, I thought they were very poised. Seeing them go 30-34 from the free throw line was wonderful. Going 54.8% from the field, 60% from 2 was amazing. Carter didn't have a great shooting game from the field, but 8-9 from the line and 8 assists to 2 TOs for a rookie PG is great. Hopefully next game, she can bring down her foul total. Dietrick did make some errors at PG, but was solid enough until Williams gets on the court. Elizabeth Williams was very solid, 7-7, 3-3, 7 rebounds is great! Laney had a wonderful first half and I can see why Collen was giving her the praise she did this week. She will be a wonderful spark off the bench. Now, let's talk about Billings. I've seen her grow over the past 2 seasons and knew she was poised for a breakout. In the first quarter and a half, I was a bit worried. She had a few chances to take it to the basket and gave it up, or tried a move instead of going up strong. But then, it seemed like she shook that off and just took over. It was wonderful to see.

Great game today Dream!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/27/20 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Curious who starts for each team?

Per 2K submitted rosters it’s

Jefferson
Ogunbowale
Thornton
Sabally
Ndour (I prefer Harrison)

Either way we’re getting fried inside all season.

I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I would entertain offers for Kayla Thornton if I were Greg Bibb and second, I still can't get over the fact that: 1. We didn't go after Mercedes Russell when she became available last year. 2. Meagan G. is a wasted roster spot simply due to being worried about a fan base that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things!!!

That's actually not a bad Idea , now its a little to early to talk about trading someone who average double figures and 5 boards per game last season . If this was based off just 1 game then hell id trade Sabally too , but we know they will get better. Its our defense thats just trash simply . Russell or Gustafson / Alarie ? None of em , Alarie or Gustafson didnt even see the hardwood yesterday smh. What direction are we going for sure AGLER ?

PostPosted: 07/27/20 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know this weekend was game one for the entire league. But watching some players that received fat contracts this year it seems a lot of teams have overpaid for their talent.

PostPosted: 07/27/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Its our defense thats just trash simply .

I waited for a Dallas fan to say that first because I don’t want to be accused of picking on your team. The most prominent problem that I saw was a defense that didn’t bother to stop the ball. Monique Billings entered that game with no reputation as a ballhandling forward. And yet, she was able to dribble through the Wings defense time and again, often starting her drive from far away with at least one coast-to-coast effort thrown in. I don’t remember seeing crossover dribbles, hesitation moves or blow-bys based on quickness. What I saw was Billings just dribbling to the hoop at moderate speed with no one getting in her way. The Wings defense made Monique Billings look like Angel McCoughtry, except she was slicing through without really slashing. Agler must be pulling his hair out. That was like a throwback Tulsa Shock defensive effort.

PostPosted: 07/27/20 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I can consider myself a Wings fan lol. no you’re right, the defense is trash. They have so many good offensive players but no one is willing to be physical and play good D. I’m just going to say it right now that they don’t win many games because of their D and rebounding.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 07/27/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

titanpa1998 wrote:
I guess I can consider myself a Wings fan lol. no you’re right, the defense is trash. They have so many good offensive players but no one is willing to be physical and play good D. I’m just going to say it right now that they don’t win many games because of their D and rebounding.

That’s why it’s strange to me Kayla Thornton didn’t play a lot of minutes, she is super athletic and very aggressive defensively. A player I thought Agler would want on the floor to somewhat balance all the offensive minded players they have.

willtalk

PostPosted: 07/27/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps Dallas figures they do not have a chance this year anyway so they are making sure they get a top pick again the next draft.

PostPosted: 07/27/20 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This was the first game in WNBA history to feature multiple Ivy Leaguers

What do you have Fagbenle as? The Dot Com says Fagbenle is actually an Ivy Leaguer. I guess graduated in 3 years.
Quote:

With both Blake Dietrick (ATL) and Bella Alarie (DAL) checking in to today’s game, they become the first Princeton graduates to meet in a WNBA game in league history. The only other times two Ivy League grads have met in a WNBA game were the four matchups between Dietrick and Temi Fagbenle in 2018 and 2019 (Although Fagbenle lists USC as her school, she holds an undergraduate degree from Harvard).

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I listed Fagbenle as a P12er from her USC days

PostPosted: 07/27/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Curious who starts for each team?

Per 2K submitted rosters it’s

Jefferson
Ogunbowale
Thornton
Sabally
Ndour (I prefer Harrison)

Either way we’re getting fried inside all season.

I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but I would entertain offers for Kayla Thornton if I were Greg Bibb and second, I still can't get over the fact that: 1. We didn't go after Mercedes Russell when she became available last year. 2. Meagan G. is a wasted roster spot simply due to being worried about a fan base that doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things!!!

That's actually not a bad Idea , now its a little to early to talk about trading someone who average double figures and 5 boards per game last season . If this was based off just 1 game then hell id trade Sabally too , but we know they will get better. Its our defense thats just trash simply . Russell or Gustafson / Alarie ? None of em , Alarie or Gustafson didnt even see the hardwood yesterday smh. What direction are we going for sure AGLER ?

No, it's not an over reaction to one game on my part, I've actually been thinking about it since last year! It's nothing personal towards Thornton, it's just that we need someone whose a solid defender (like she is) as well as a "threat" who demands double coverage on the offensive side of the ball, which she DOES NOT!!!

Again, it's nothing personal towards her, but I say upgrade if you can while she has some value, instead of waiting until she no longer does because of an "emotional" attachment!!!

Why should the "premier" teams in the league be the only ones with the best GM's who aren't afraid to make the tough decisions that impacts their teams that generate the best outcomes? Why do we as Wings fans have to be so fearful year after year after year to take risks...I mean REAL risk and think outside the box when player A or B gets cut and is just sitting there waiting for the phone to ring, but Dallas doesn't even bother picking up the phone and days later the usual, aggressive and forward thinking GM's make the call and suddenly that player who could have been wearing a Wings jersey is now flourishing somewhere else while we're still wasting time with the likes of Meagan G., I just don't get it and I'm fed up and sick and tired of just settling...I'm tired of paying for season tickets every damn year for a team that's content with just COMPETING instead of ELEVATING to top level status!!!

I don't want to hear anymore crap about 4-5 years down the road, I want to win today, tomorrow and the year after, anything less is bullshit!!!

titanpa1998

PostPosted: 07/27/20 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wings need a seasoned, premier veteran ASAP. They need guidance and maturity because they are not going to get it from Ogunbowale. I would trade Gustafson, Samuelson, Alarie, and maybe Sabally if she doesn't improve much to be completely honest. Harris is going to be a quiet star which is great. I am also excited to see Mabrey because she does bring a 'chip on her shoulder' style of play when she is not yelling at the refs.

The Wings should not be a JV roster for player development; instead, a winning program that has some young players that develop from winning and maturing.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/27/20 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

titanpa1998 wrote:
I would trade Gustafson, Samuelson, Alarie, and maybe Sabally if she doesn't improve much to be completely honest.

LMAO.

PostPosted: 07/28/20 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

titanpa1998 wrote:
The Wings need a seasoned, premier veteran ASAP. They need guidance and maturity because they are not going to get it from Ogunbowale. I would trade Gustafson, Samuelson, Alarie, and maybe Sabally if she doesn't improve much to be completely honest. Harris is going to be a quiet star which is great. I am also excited to see Mabrey because she does bring a 'chip on her shoulder' style of play when she is not yelling at the refs.

The Wings should not be a JV roster for player development; instead, a winning program that has some young players that develop from winning and maturing.

+1 with everything here , the hard part is finding a star wing player that wants to come here and STAY here . We were close to getting DeWanna Bonner , but she's not the defender Thornton is . Who would you recommend we go after ?

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ty should have gotten more minutes than she did. Just because she is a rookie does not mean that she should not get much playing. I wanted her to go to Indiana because Arika(sp) wants to be the star. Ty is a great point guard and should be given the chance to be on the floor rather than being in and out of the game. Maybe their coach should go look at some Gamecock games so he can know what he has in Ty!!

Shades

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris got 19 minutes. Really can’t complain about that.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/28/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
This was the first game in WNBA history to feature multiple Ivy Leaguers

What do you have Fagbenle as? The Dot Com says Fagbenle is actually an Ivy Leaguer. I guess graduated in 3 years.
Quote:

With both Blake Dietrick (ATL) and Bella Alarie (DAL) checking in to today’s game, they become the first Princeton graduates to meet in a WNBA game in league history. The only other times two Ivy League grads have met in a WNBA game were the four matchups between Dietrick and Temi Fagbenle in 2018 and 2019 (Although Fagbenle lists USC as her school, she holds an undergraduate degree from Harvard).

As I recall, Fagbenle had an eligibility issue as a freshman at Harvard and couldn't play. I think playing on the UK national team made her British and the NCAA required some extra paperwork which never got filed. Temi was born in Baltimore and finished high school in NJ. Maybe she thought she was covered as an American but apparently not. Fagbenle subsequently graduated from Harvard and went to USC as a grad student.

PostPosted: 07/29/20 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
the hard part is finding a star wing player that wants to come here and STAY here . We were close to getting DeWanna Bonner , but she's not the defender Thornton is . Who would you recommend we go after ?

Both Howard and Clark for the Storm are scheduled to be free agents after 2020. They'll both want to get paid, and I'm not 100% sure we'll be able to keep both. I'd assume we'll prioritize re-signing Howard over Clark, so if Agler's still coaching Dallas - as he loved coaching her here in Seattle - then maybe he gets Bibb to offer Clark a good sum of money that she can't refuse and that the Storm can't counter? (I swear to god, if Morgan Tuck's contract screws us over like that next year... Mad ) Clark's not a star of course, but she could actually be realistic to go after as a free agent next year.

Otherwise, I'm not 100% positive but I think most of the following forwards are free agents of some sort next year: Rebecca Allen, Jessica Breland, Elizabeth Williams, Tianna Hawkins, LaToya Sanders, Glory Johnson (again), Jantel Lavender, Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, Natalie Achonwa, Candice Dupree... each player seems to offer one of/both defense and leadership that the Dallas frontcourt is sorely missing. If a player wants to get paid potentially pretty handsomely in 2021, call up a team like the Wings.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/29/20 5:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dallas has enough SF’s. It’s Sabally’s ideal position.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/29/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
the hard part is finding a star wing player that wants to come here and STAY here . We were close to getting DeWanna Bonner , but she's not the defender Thornton is . Who would you recommend we go after ?

Both Howard and Clark for the Storm are scheduled to be free agents after 2020. They'll both want to get paid, and I'm not 100% sure we'll be able to keep both. I'd assume we'll prioritize re-signing Howard over Clark, so if Agler's still coaching Dallas - as he loved coaching her here in Seattle - then maybe he gets Bibb to offer Clark a good sum of money that she can't refuse and that the Storm can't counter? (I swear to god, if Morgan Tuck's contract screws us over like that next year... Mad ) Clark's not a star of course, but she could actually be realistic to go after as a free agent next year.

Otherwise, I'm not 100% positive but I think most of the following forwards are free agents of some sort next year: Rebecca Allen, Jessica Breland, Elizabeth Williams, Tianna Hawkins, LaToya Sanders, Glory Johnson (again), Jantel Lavender, Tierra Ruffin-Pratt, Natalie Achonwa, Candice Dupree... each player seems to offer one of/both defense and leadership that the Dallas frontcourt is sorely missing. If a player wants to get paid potentially pretty handsomely in 2021, call up a team like the Wings.

I would not want to take a shot at any of those players besides Tianna Hawkins. That's a player ive wanted for a few seasons now .

PostPosted: 07/30/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Harris got 19 minutes. Really can’t complain about that.
I certainly can complain if i wish to. So she played 19 minutes, how many minutes did Ogunbwale(sp) get and how many baskets did she make. Ty has hit a 3 each of the time she has been on the floor as well as other points. If her coach would let her stay in the game longer than a few minutes he would see what she can do. As I said before, I wanted to see her go to the Fever, now their point guard Erica Wheeler is out and Ty could have taken that spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: