RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/16/20 10:02 am    ::: Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only season Reply Reply with quote

So, here's an interesting thought from Tulsa's men's basketball coach. His suggestion is that if the regular season gets contracted and teams only play conference games, then maybe there should be a one-time only NCAA Tournament expansion to 96 teams.

Gotta admit, I kinda like it. I can't imagine how the committee would select teams if there were no out of conference games. The eye test is pretty much the only way to compare teams.

It was mentioned that it could be set up so team #1 plays team #96 and so on, or you could have the top 8 in each region get a bye, whereby the #9 seed in each region would play #24, etc. I like the top 8 getting byes as an option if this were to happen.

Anyway, complete article here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/if-college-basketball-season-contracts-because-of-covid-one-time-ncaa-tournament-expansion-might-be-needed/1vfa8j081v8km13ts03gc4js7p

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/16/20 10:28 am    ::: Re: Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only seas Reply Reply with quote

This is an attack on that idea or the Tulsa coach, but I don't understand this idea that somehow conference games are safer than non-conference games.

Can anyone explain this?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/16/20 10:46 am    ::: Re: Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only seas Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
This is an attack on that idea or the Tulsa coach, but I don't understand this idea that somehow conference games are safer than non-conference games.

Can anyone explain this?

There would be less travel. Many of the smaller conferences fly commercial if it's too far to bus.

PostPosted: 07/16/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it also has to do with being able to control the schedule more, so that if a team has to quarantine, the conference can make adjustments.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 07/16/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not having a non-conference season could make an impact to Mid-Majors in terms of building a resume for Tournament selection; especially on the men's side where there are so many good teams outside of the P5.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/16/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they test all the teams and their staff the week before the NCAAT starts? And what happens to the teams that have a significant number of their players or staff quarantined?

A better idea, IMHO, would be to shorten conference play by eliminating conf tournaments, and sending only the regular season conference winners to the NCAAT, which would also shorten that tournament, and play the pre-FF rounds in 2-4 wubbles and the FF in a wubble. This would provide a much better shot at eliminating disruption of the whole tournament.

Given that I really feel we aren't going to have a basketball season, my moot proposal is as good as any. Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/17/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a better idea is a 32 team tournament, with just conference winners. I have never liked the idea that the 6th best team in a conference can win a national championship. Play the games, win your conference. If you aren't the best team in your conference why should you be able to call yourself the best in the nation.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/18/20 8:15 pm    ::: Re: Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only seas Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Can anyone explain this?

I thought that the idea was to only play games that are controlled by the conference. That way, as long as conference schools are following the rules both teams in a game know that they are safe (whatever that means today). So Georgetown knows that when they travel to Storrs UConn isn't returning from a road game against a team that may or may not be following the same protocols about there teams and their facilities.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/19/20 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I think a better idea is a 32 team tournament, with just conference winners. I have never liked the idea that the 6th best team in a conference can win a national championship. Play the games, win your conference. If you aren't the best team in your conference why should you be able to call yourself the best in the nation.

I would really prefer this also. The conference tournaments are stupid and unnecessary, IMO.

PostPosted: 07/19/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I would really prefer this also. The conference tournaments are stupid and unnecessary, IMO.

What if two teams finish tied for first and split their season series? I can agree that the 6th team in a conference is a bit excessive, but there are some leagues that have multiple national contenders such as the Pac-12. Stanford, UCLA, and Arizona should carry the standard this year, with Oregon re-loading for success. There's been multiple times where the team that wasn't the conference champion won the NCAA's.

In 2018, Notre Dame finished tied the conference, lost the conference tournament, but still won NCAA's. The also did not hold the H2H Tiebreaker with Louisville that year.

In 2011, Texas A&M finished 2nd and had a Cinderella run to the title. I think that's what makes the tournament so exciting. That teams have a chance for redemption in the post-season.

That being said, this year, the only competitive P5 races seem to be in the Pac-12 and the BiG, unless Ashley Joens and Iowa State rise to the challenge of beating Baylor again. Besides, we need to make sure that Tara gets her chance to beat Geno in the Elite Eight.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/19/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

And they lose a lot of money for the conferences ... the only reason the women have them is that the men do.

PostPosted: 07/19/20 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

And they lose a lot of money for the conferences ... the only reason the women have them is that the men do.

A 32 game tournament with only power conference teams would be more interesting to watch than a 32 team tournment with one team from each conference, or a 64 team tournament that includes automatic bids and other invited teams. The last time that a mid-major made it to the Final Four was in 2001, when Soutwest Missouri State, led by Jackie Stiles, made it. The last time that a mid-major won the NCAA tournament was in 1988 (Louisiana Tech).

Regular season conference winners should get the conference bid. Other top teams in the conference will get a bid anyway. It's the mid-majors that maybe should be eliminated to make room for a more interesting tournament. Let them have their own tournament or go to the WNIT.

All of this is hypothetical, because I just don't see any kind of college basketball season happening this year.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/19/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
All of this is hypothetical, because I just don't see any kind of college basketball season happening this year.

Uh-huhhh.... Crying or Very sad I'm already seeing projections of crowd limitations reaching way into 2021. Hope I'm mistaken, or things miraculously change.

PostPosted: 07/20/20 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

I absolutely love the conference tournaments. I love conference tournament week the most. Games on all the time, great tests for each team headed in the the big dance, and for us fans, its amazing.

I get why others don't love them though. It just adds so much fun to the season, IMO.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/20/20 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love them or not, there are more important considerations like attempting to insure the health of all involved during a pandemic. Sending nearly every school in the country to a conference tournament put thousands at risk when the regular season winners could just as easily have been sent directly to the NCAAT.

elsie

PostPosted: 07/21/20 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the only reason mid majors can't routinely make it to the FF is because the NCAA makes then jump thru fire, blindfolded, and with one arm behind their backs.....

Southwest Missouri State,(missouri state) had to go to New Jersey then Washington playing Rutgers in New Jersey, Duke, and Washington,essentially home court for Washington....it wasn't easy....

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/21/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Love them or not, there are more important considerations like attempting to insure the health of all involved during a pandemic. Sending nearly every school in the country to a conference tournament put thousands at risk when the regular season winners could just as easily have been sent directly to the NCAAT.

If each conference tournament creates a bubble of sorts, similar to what pro teams are doing, I think it would be safer than sending teams to a difference city every week to play 18-20 conference games

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/21/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
the only reason mid majors can't routinely make it to the FF is because the NCAA makes then jump thru fire, blindfolded, and with one arm behind their backs.....

Southwest Missouri State,(missouri state) had to go to New Jersey then Washington playing Rutgers in New Jersey, Duke, and Washington,essentially home court for Washington....it wasn't easy....

Or they don't have the talent level as many of the P5 teams do. Btw, Gonzaga has hosted a few times and have had some decent opportunities.

Tomato, tomahto

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/22/20 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

If each conference tournament creates a bubble of sorts, similar to what pro teams are doing, I think it would be safer than sending teams to a difference city every week to play 18-20 conference games

Let us please remember that these are college STUDENTS. If they can't go class (which they couldn't do in a bubble), they shouldn't be playing sports.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/22/20 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Let us please remember that these are college STUDENTS. If they can't go class (which they couldn't do in a bubble), they shouldn't be playing sports.

How would doing a conference tournament this year, be any different than doing a conference tournament any other year. I didn’t say create a bubble for months, i said a conference tournament would create a bubble in response to it would be safer to just playing the regular season, but a conference tournaments would be too risky.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 07/23/20 11:08 am    ::: Re: Interesting idea on NCAA Tourney if conference-only seas Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
So, here's an interesting thought from Tulsa's men's basketball coach. His suggestion is that if the regular season gets contracted and teams only play conference games, then maybe there should be a one-time only NCAA Tournament expansion to 96 teams.

Gotta admit, I kinda like it. I can't imagine how the committee would select teams if there were no out of conference games. The eye test is pretty much the only way to compare teams.

It was mentioned that it could be set up so team #1 plays team #96 and so on, or you could have the top 8 in each region get a bye, whereby the #9 seed in each region would play #24, etc. I like the top 8 getting byes as an option if this were to happen.

Anyway, complete article here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/if-college-basketball-season-contracts-because-of-covid-one-time-ncaa-tournament-expansion-might-be-needed/1vfa8j081v8km13ts03gc4js7p

There's no real way to compare teams in this scenario other than the very suspect "eye test". The obvious preference is going to be toward the top conferences.

Better solution. Take every team that has a winning record into the tourney. Seed the top 16 teams overall, then seed everyone else randomly. Play homecourt games until you get down to 64. It's fair. It rewards success and punishes failure. It gives teams that usually get the shaft a fighting chance.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/23/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

How would doing a conference tournament this year, be any different than doing a conference tournament any other year. I didn’t say create a bubble for months, i said a conference tournament would create a bubble in response to it would be safer to just playing the regular season, but a conference tournaments would be too risky.

Creating a bubble would require quarantining the students and staff for 10-14 days beforehand with repeated COVID testing, so they wouldn't be going to class during that time anyway. Add in travel time and the bubble time, and they'd be out of class for 3 weeks.

However, physical absence from class probably isn't even an issue this year when many classes are being taught online. Players would likely be able to function better as students than they have in previous years.

TechDawgMc wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

There's no real way to compare teams in this scenario other than the very suspect "eye test". The obvious preference is going to be toward the top conferences.

Better solution. Take every team that has a winning record into the tourney. Seed the top 16 teams overall, then seed everyone else randomly. Play homecourt games until you get down to 64. It's fair. It rewards success and punishes failure. It gives teams that usually get the shaft a fighting chance.

I don't see the point in that. On average, half of all teams are going to have a winning record. I doubt inviting the 5th place team in the Patriot League or the 6th place team in the Big Sky to the NCAAT is going to change the outcome of the eventual tourney winner.

And that schedule of more teams traveling to play games on another team's home court is probably the worst possible plan during a pandemic, particularly when the qualifying teams are likely to be from the states with the highest infection rates.

Both of these proposals deal poorly with the COVID issue, which demands fewer teams in fewer games with less travel and fewer fans to minimize the risk of infection.

I doubt we're going to have any season anyways, so this is all a moot point.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/23/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Creating a bubble would require quarantining the students and staff for 10-14 days beforehand with repeated COVID testing, so they wouldn't be going to class during that time anyway. Add in travel time and the bubble time, and they'd be out of class for 3 weeks.

However, physical absence from class probably isn't even an issue this year when many classes are being taught online. Players would likely be able to function better as students than they have in previous years.

I didn’t mean creating a bubble exactly like the pros, I meant if they were at one location for the tournament, it wouldn’t be any more unsafe than teams traveling all around the country playing conference games. Perhaps bubble wasn’t the correct word, I was just meaning one central location with the teams in a more controlled setting.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/26/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of OOC play, does anyone see any problems with this...

2020 Cancun Challenge Moves To Florida

Quote:
"In an effort to ensure the safety of the athletes, coaches, staff members and fans, Triple Crown Sports has announced it will move the 2020 Cancun Challenge to Eastern Florida State College in Melbourne, Florida....

Games will be played at the Titan Field House, which is home to Eastern Florida's men's and women's basketball programs. The arena seats approximately 1,500 fans, maintaining the classic intimate setting of the Cancun Challenge."

https://utsports.com/news/2020/7/16/womens-basketball-cancun-challenge-moves-to-florida-for-2020.aspx

I'd think a classic intimate setting would be the last thing the organizers should brag about.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/26/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think Florida is about the last place anyone would want to go. Just saying.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: