RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Philly? Ruh-rohh....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/20 10:31 am    ::: Philly? Ruh-rohh.... Reply Reply with quote

This does not bode well for any basketball season hopes. Please tell me why I'm mistaken here. Please!

PostPosted: 07/15/20 1:26 pm    ::: Re: Philly? Ruh-rohh.... Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
This does not bode well for any basketball season hopes. Please tell me why I'm mistaken here. Please!

I wish I could tell you you're wrong, but I can't. I have tried to remain optimistic but I don't think I can any longer. I am beginning to think there will not be any college athletics for the entire school year, and that is just mind-boggling. If you told me in January that this situation would play out, I would have called the men in the clean white coats for you myself. I am still having a very hard time wrapping my head around all this. I also don't see how some of the athletic departments around the country will survive this. Salary decreases, sport cuts and everything else will save money, but we are talking a massive loss of income to the NCAA, conferences and schools.

Pessimism isn't my thing, but man, it is hard to see the light at the end of this covid tunnel.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/15/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is just one more example of parts of the United States taking the virus seriously. I believe that we as a nation could handle the pandemic, but not without buy in from the entire country. Sports are not the most important part of life (even though much of my life centers around it), but you will not see me attending a game in person for the foreseeable future.

I believe the cancellation of college football, particularly the SEC, may finally wake people up. Women's basketball is well down the list in the mind of most people. A conference only schedule without fans is, even now, probably the best we can hope for, but even that would require people taking this more seriously.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/15/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I miss something? What's up with Philly?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/15/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
It is just one more example of parts of the United States taking the virus seriously. I believe that we as a nation could handle the pandemic, but not without buy in from the entire country. Sports are not the most important part of life (even though much of my life centers around it), but you will not see me attending a game in person for the foreseeable future.

I believe the cancellation of college football, particularly the SEC, may finally wake people up. Women's basketball is well down the list in the mind of most people. A conference only schedule without fans is, even now, probably the best we can hope for, but even that would require people taking this more seriously.

A lot of the country seriously needs a wake-up call, especially some of the states involved with SEC football. I posted a link in the pandemic thread about the proliferation of COVID cases in FL, TX, and AZ. A popular sentiment that I've seen in an SEC fan forum is that it's good more players are testing positive because they can have COVID now and get over it instead of having to play with the flu. Shocked

I think that some of the schools that committed a month ago to reopening their campuses for in-person classes in the fall will be rethinking that decision by the end of August.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 07/15/20 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Did I miss something? What's up with Philly?

The city is banning large events for 6 months. There's a link to an article about it in the original post.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another article from the Philadelphia Inquirer today.

If you're familiar with Philadelphia, their New Year's Day Mummers Parade rivals Mardi Gras in public turnout, with thousands crowding the streets. I certainly get curtailing those things. Now, it's everything. Short of a miracle, I don't see things like college sports getting exempted.

Even if it were only Philly -- which is unlikely -- how do teams like Temple, Drexel, St. Josephs, etc., get to go play in other places?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: