RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
The headline makes it sound as if he's saying a lower death rate isn't a good thing, which is obviously not true and not what the article is saying.

Ehh. The article clarifies pretty well what is meant by "celebrate" (opening up, allowing infections to skyrocket).

It says repeatedly that while it's nice the death rate is dropping, and nice that we are coming up with some treatments that can help people *not die*, we still have to see what that rate will look like weeks down the road, and just getting the infection looks like it can come with some serious long term consequences.

Thus he concludes with: "Covid patients probably have a better chance of survival now than they did in March. They’ll almost certainly have even better odds a few months hence. But that’s no reason to allow infections to keep soaring."

I was very sick in March, you had to be really sick back then to be referred to be tested. I tested negative but I firmly believe it was a false negative. In other words, I had "it." I was never hospitalized, which means I'm classified as a "mild" case. Four months later, I still have no stamina. Continuing Tae Kwon Do workouts is close to pointless as I can barely complete one form. My doctor checked me out and could find no evidence of long-term health consequence, which does mean there is none.

Fact is that this virus is wicked bad and behaves very, very strangely. Because I personally experienced its' wickedness, I have had little ability to tolerate falsehoods, minimizers and anything else that might lead a person to take less than utmost precautions against catching it.

Likewise, given the knowledge that we that have had it might have little to no protection from getting it again, I have little ability to tolerate any serious discussion about "herd immunity." If those of us who've had it have no immunity, then "herd immunity" is non-existent - a cruel hoax.

I will try, to the best of my ability, to stay within the rules when people post falsehoods that could endanger anyone who believes them.

I've been a member of the women's basketball online community going back to "newsgroups." I got tickets to the 1994 women's final four in Richmond via the wbb newsgroup from a Vandy fan whose team unexpectedly did not make it to Richmond. Then onto the espn "secret" message board, where I met many folks I'm now FB friends with, some of whom I've met in person. The only person who is still on RebKell (that I know of) is CamCrz (edit: I believe ucbart is also here). I miss all those folks, their passions, their humor, the brawls we used to get into. The biggest brawl I ever got into was with Cth and he's now the voice I miss the most here. One of the funnest days I've ever had was the day I met him at Coach's in Hartford, mere hours before Jess Foley's shot downed his beloved Huskies. He and I are both cancer survivors, which bonded us for good. I just had my third bout with cancer as I had a melanoma removed from my arm two days ago (my brother died from melanoma). I had noticed this weird looking mole during the seemingly endless hours I've been lying on my bed since getting sick in March. So maybe getting sick saved my life as I caught this very early, with 0% chance it spread past the mole.

I hope I'm allowed to stay in this community but if I get tossed out, it's been good to know you.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/08/20 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
The headline makes it sound as if he's saying a lower death rate isn't a good thing, which is obviously not true and not what the article is saying.

Ehh. The article clarifies pretty well what is meant by "celebrate" (opening up, allowing infections to skyrocket).

It says repeatedly that while it's nice the death rate is dropping, and nice that we are coming up with some treatments that can help people *not die*, we still have to see what that rate will look like weeks down the road, and just getting the infection looks like it can come with some serious long term consequences.

Thus he concludes with: "Covid patients probably have a better chance of survival now than they did in March. They’ll almost certainly have even better odds a few months hence. But that’s no reason to allow infections to keep soaring."

I was very sick in March, you had to be really sick back then to be referred to be tested. I tested negative but I firmly believe it was a false negative. In other words, I had "it." I was never hospitalized, which means I'm classified as a "mild" case. Four months later, I still have no stamina. Continuing Tae Kwon Do workouts is close to pointless as I can barely complete one form. My doctor checked me out and could find no evidence of long-term health consequence, which does mean there is none.

Fact is that this virus is wicked bad and behaves very, very strangely. Because I personally experienced its' wickedness, I have had little ability to tolerate falsehoods, minimizers and anything else that might lead a person to take less than utmost precautions against catching it.

Likewise, given the knowledge that we that have had it might have little to no protection from getting it again, I have little ability to tolerate any serious discussion about "herd immunity." If those of us who've had it have no immunity, then "herd immunity" is non-existent - a cruel hoax.

I will try, to the best of my ability, to stay within the rules when people post falsehoods that could endanger anyone who believes them.

I've been a member of the women's basketball online community going back to "newsgroups." I got tickets to the 1994 women's final four in Richmond via the wbb newsgroup from a Vandy fan whose team unexpectedly did not make it to Richmond. Then onto the espn "secret" message board, where I met many folks I'm now FB friends with, some of whom I've met in person. The only person who is still on RebKell (that I know of) is CamCrz (edit: I believe ucbart is also here). I miss all those folks, their passions, their humor, the brawls we used to get into. The biggest brawl I ever got into was with Cth and he's now the voice I miss the most here. One of the funnest days I've ever had was the day I met him at Coach's in Hartford, mere hours before Jess Foley's shot downed his beloved Huskies. He and I are both cancer survivors, which bonded us for good. I just had my third bout with cancer as I had a melanoma removed from my arm two days ago (my brother died from melanoma). I had noticed this weird looking mole during the seemingly endless hours I've been lying on my bed since getting sick in March. So maybe getting sick saved my life as I caught this very early, with 0% chance it spread past the mole.

I hope I'm allowed to stay in this community but if I get tossed out, it's been good to know you.

Well, crap. That all sucks, and there are a lot of 40-60 year olds out there with similar COVID stories.

I posted 70-odd pages ago about my friend who was hospitalized with COVID back in March. He was a healthy 55-year-old, active, non-smoker, no history of lung problems or any health problems except assorted sports injuries. He was in the ICU on a ventilator for a week, went home requiring oxygen, and is still very debilitated and on/off oxygen 3+ months later. He barely has enough stamina to get around the house.

Somehow the people whose health and lives have been profoundly affected by this disease have been lost in analysis of mortality rates.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/20 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

Well, crap. That all sucks, and there are a lot of 40-60 year olds out there with similar COVID stories.

I posted 70-odd pages ago about my friend who was hospitalized with COVID back in March. He was a healthy 55-year-old, active, non-smoker, no history of lung problems or any health problems except assorted sports injuries. He was in the ICU on a ventilator for a week, went home requiring oxygen, and is still very debilitated and on/off oxygen 3+ months later. He barely has enough stamina to get around the house.

Somehow the people whose health and lives have been profoundly affected by this disease have been lost in analysis of mortality rates.

I'm sorry about your friend, who was a LOT sicker than I was and continues to suffer more seriously than I do. I am 66, so officially in the "higher risk" group. I was in decent, but not great, shape. I had recently driven 1800+ miles over a 4 day weekend to pick up what I thought was a good friend to rent rooms in my house. Turned out that when I got sick, I was nothing but a "disease vector" for her. She was less than zero help, except for feeding my dog, who I was actively avoiding, not knowing if he could catch it from me. It became so tense between us, I had to kick her out of my house in order to recover in peace. I am not usually the kind of person to kick someone out in the middle of a pandemic. But as I read more about the after effects of this illness, it became necessary - I was scared about my wellbeing.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 07/08/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I tested negative but I firmly believe it was a false negative. In other words, I had "it."

Are there not tests that can determine if one has had covid, even if they've never been symptomatic? I still believe a friend was affected as early as last November, but I've never heard if he'd been tested for antibodies yet.

PostPosted: 07/09/20 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I tested negative but I firmly believe it was a false negative. In other words, I had "it."

Are there not tests that can determine if one has had covid, even if they've never been symptomatic? I still believe a friend was affected as early as last November, but I've never heard if he'd been tested for antibodies yet.

Antibody tests have been unreliable. My Dr is on the lookout for one I can take so I could donate antibodies that might help someone who's sick. Blood donation orgs are offering an antibody test if you donate blood. If a person has antibodies, they're using them for research to see if they do help. I have a friend who had sudden onset pneumonia in January, and a dry cough. She thinks she had COVID but has also not found a place to get tested.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 07/09/20 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I have seen articles talking about the virus doing long-term damage to various parts of the body (remember when it only was thought to effect the lungs?). They are currently running an article that says:

Even Mild Covid-19 Can Sometimes Cause Hallucinations and Other Brain Problems

Quote:
Doctors are starting to see the sort of serious brain problems that scientists had previously warned would become more common because of the covid-19 pandemic.

You friend sounds like what is informally called a "long hauler", people who have had COVID-19 and no longer test positive, but still have physical problems that they attribute to the disease like extreme fatigue and aches and pains. I saw a YouTube video by one who claimed that 1 in 10 were in that category. These long haulers communicate online in Facebook and the like, partly to get support that they can't get from their doctors who don't believe that they are suffering from any latent COVID-19 issues.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/09/20 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I have seen articles talking about the virus doing long-term damage to various parts of the body (remember when it only was thought to effect the lungs?). They are currently running an article that says:

Even Mild Covid-19 Can Sometimes Cause Hallucinations and Other Brain Problems

Quote:
Doctors are starting to see the sort of serious brain problems that scientists had previously warned would become more common because of the covid-19 pandemic.

You friend sounds like what is informally called a "long hauler", people who have had COVID-19 and no longer test positive, but still have physical problems that they attribute to the disease like extreme fatigue and aches and pains. I saw a YouTube video by one who claimed that 1 in 10 were in that category. These long haulers communicate online in Facebook and the like, partly to get support that they can't get from their doctors who don't believe that they are suffering from any latent COVID-19 issues.

Besides patients with ongoing pulmonary and neuro effects, there are also reports of people with impaired cardiac and kidney function. Given that we're only 6 months into this, I don't think the long-term effects are well-established yet.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/10/20 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iBFNeeaihqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 07/10/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was a story that got a lot of publication about a 51 year old diabetic Lake Elsinore, California man who was being careful regarding to COVID-19, but went to a party and got the virus and died. Something that wasn't in the original story was that the man went to get tested after he got a call from someone at the party who said that he had COVID-19 - and knew it before he went to the party. He didn't tell anyone prior to the party but apparently felt guilty afterwards.

The mayor of San Francisco had to get tested and is in semi-quarantine because she attended an event where a man had COVID-19 - and knew he had it before going. I saw a YouTube video where someone tries to calculate how many people having no regard to COVID-19 rules (masks, social distancing, staying home, self-quarantine) you need to have in order for there be no chance at limiting the spread of the virus. He came up with 1 in 6.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/10/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first case in the county where I live was someone who had just returned from a trip to Italy, got mildly sick, got tested, and was told to self-quarantine at home. Since s/he was an employee of the medical center, I guess they thought s/he would follow instructions, but instead went to a gathering with >200 people. Before those people were tracked down, it was discovered that the original patient had given it to a colleague, who attended a large church service, and some of those people became infected, and we were off and running. All from one negligent healthcare worker.

If it only requires 1 in 6 people to be sociopathic enough to ignore proper protocol to torpedo any attempts at control, we might as well throw in the towel now because at least 2 in 6 are already flouting recommendations, and it will be 3 in 6 by the time school starts.

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 07/11/20 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/10/20 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's amazing to me, but there are a lot of people in my area that are still calling it a hoax and walking around with no kind of protection. This area didn't have many cases for a long time, but now it is exploding and they still do this. I've known personally four people (none local) who have had it. Two died. One (a 38 year old previously healthy man) had it three months ago and is now 'recovered' but has severe lingering symptoms, to the point that he thinks he may still die. For some, I guess they have to see someone they know in order to believe it is real.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/10/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people might have to be on their deathbed dying from it to acknowledge its severity. And even then...

Despite hearing about people still suffering from the virus after getting it 3-4 months ago, we still don't even really know what the truly long-term effects of getting this virus are since it hasn't been in existence for long enough yet. I could rattle off some fear-driven "maybe" statements that borderline on conspiracy theories that no one wants to read, but to put it briefly and bluntly instead, I personally am not convinced that 100% of people that catch the virus won't die - sooner or later - as a direct result of having it. It doesn't help that things are as unnerving as they are frustrating, particularly here in the US.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/11/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Some people might have to be on their deathbed dying from it to acknowledge its severity. And even then...

Despite hearing about people still suffering from the virus after getting it 3-4 months ago, we still don't even really know what the truly long-term effects of getting this virus are since it hasn't been in existence for long enough yet. I could rattle off some fear-driven "maybe" statements that borderline on conspiracy theories that no one wants to read, but to put it briefly and bluntly instead, I personally am not convinced that 100% of people that catch the virus won't die - sooner or later - as a direct result of having it. It doesn't help that things are as unnerving as they are frustrating, particularly here in the US.

I think 100% is overly pessimistic but we clearly don't know enough about the long-term consequences to make any accurate predictions. I expect we're going to see that the govt (either federal or states) will have to set up a massive disability fund for many, many people who are permanently disabled by this disease.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/12/20 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8zIPq8jpm8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/12/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I doubt it. I have a former friend from high school (we have lost touch, are still "connected" via Facebook). Her husband died from the virus in May. She refuses to wear a mask.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/13/20 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SczWUiWXkdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Howee

PostPosted: 07/13/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might appear -- not surprisingly -- that many are continuing with major symptoms for months after 'recovery'.

Quote:
As Oliver puts it on Twitter, “It’s not enough to not die. You don’t want to live thru this, either.”
In a lengthy thread posted to Twitter late last week, explained that she caught COVID-19 in March and has now been sick for more than three months with a fever as well as respiratory, cardiovascular, and neurological symptoms. During her fight with the disease, she has also connected with other people battling COVID-19 around the world, who take to online forums and support groups to share their stories and help raise awareness.

“I am not unique,” Oliver wrote of her severe and wide-ranging coronavirus symptoms. “Support groups have sprung up all over the internet because medical science doesn’t know what to do with the hundreds of thousands of Covid patients who don’t get better in the (utter and complete bulls**t, and they know it) CDC guidelines of 2-6 weeks.”

She continued, “The CDC is also refusing to add widely-reported, terrifying symptoms to their lists. So here’s a grab bag of what patients like me are experiencing, so you know.”

Oliver went on to share a laundry list of severe symptoms that she and other COVID-19 patients she has come across have experienced. Here’s a portion of them, as quoted from her thread on Twitter:
•Extreme tachycardia. My heart rate was once 160 while I was sleeping.
•Chest pain, like someone’s sitting on your sternum.
•Back and rib pain like someone’s taken a baseball bat to your torso.
•Fatigue like you’ve never felt before in your life. Fatigue like your body is shutting off. Fatigue so bad that it would often make me cry because I thought it might mean I was dying.
•GI problems, diarrhea to severe acid reflux. I had diarrhea every day for two+ months.
•Unbearable nausea.
•Inexplicable rashes.
•For me, little broken blood vessels all over my body.
•For many of us, a constant shortness of breath that doctors can’t find an explanation for.
•Neurological symptoms. I had delirium & hallucinations. Many report tingling all over their body, an internal “buzzing” or “vibrating.”
•Insomnia & chronic hypnic bodily jerks. One symptom so weird that I thought it was just me, but it turns out it’s so many of us.
•Waking up in the middle of the night, gasping for breath.
•Tremors while trying to sleep, like someone was shaking the bed.

There are many, many more coronavirus symptoms that Oliver goes on to describe.

PostPosted: 07/14/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
It might appear -- not surprisingly -- that many are continuing with major symptoms for months after 'recovery'.

Brief article about same^.
COVID-19 Symptoms Can Linger for Months
Quote:
...Post-Acute Care Study Group in Rome, Italy report that 87.4% of 143 previously hospitalized patients had at least one persistent symptom 2 months or longer after initial onset and at more than a month after discharge.

Postdischarge assessments of patients who met criteria for SARS-CoV-2 negativity, including a reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test, were conducted from April 21 to May 29. Among the results:

Only 12.6% of the 143 patients were completely free of any COVID-19 symptom

32% of patients had one or two symptoms and 55% had three or more

None had fever or other signs and symptoms of acute illness

53.1% of patients still had fatigue, 43.4% had dyspnea, 27.3% had joint pain, and 21.7% chest pain

44.1% reported worsened quality of life on the EuroQol visual analog scale.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933835?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2459877&faf=1

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 07/15/20 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/14/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'We Are Not New York in April,' But Docs in New Hot Spots Face Fatigue

From Texas...
Quote:
As of July 12, Texas reported 8196 new cases for a total of 258,658 since the pandemic began.
...And even if the current surge passes soon, the pandemic itself has no defined endpoint. "It's amazing what human beings can accomplish when they have an end point," Dr. Fairbrother said. "You can deal with a lot: study for a test, lose weight for a wedding, train for a marathon. We're really good at defined goals. Having no defined endpoint is very destructive. And there's no end in sight."

From Florida...
Quote:
In Florida, which has reported 282,435 total cases as of July 13 — including 12,343 new cases on July 12 — the crowd showing up in emergency rooms for COVID-19 tests resembles the spring break demographic, a shift from earlier in the pandemic when the number of new cases per week hovered around 5000 in April and May.

And from Arizona...
Quote:
Arizona recently became the state with the highest per-capita infections in the world, reporting 123,824 total cases on July 13, including 1357 new cases. The state's number of new cases skyrocketed from hundreds per day in March, April, and May to a high of 5330 on June 29.

...And as the age of those showing up in emergency departments skews younger, with many cases traced to bars, Dr. Snyder is frustrated by the rapid spread that could have been prevented.

" 'Out at a Scottsdale nightclub' should be a codeable diagnosis," he said. "It's so hard to watch people acting irresponsibly out in the community, going to bars and nightclubs, knowing that I am risking myself and my family going to work and dealing with these issues every day."

While many younger patients are tested and sent home, severity "runs the gamut," Snyder said. "A lot [of younger patients] are needing supplemental oxygen. The other day a person in their 30s coded in the emergency department with no comorbidities. We're deeply concerned about this population as a primary reservoir for the diseases in the rest of the state."

In letters sent mid-June, Arizona doctors asked the governor to step up safety precautions. On June 29, Arizona ordered bars, gyms, pools, and movie theaters to close, but there's no statewide mask mandate.

Many doctors are begging the public to take precautions, but they know it's too late to change the short-term trajectory. They're bracing for a devastating couple of weeks.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/933839?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2459877&faf=1#vp_2

Shades

PostPosted: 07/18/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

85 infants under age 1 tested positive for coronavirus in one Texas county
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/health/texas-infants-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Quote:
In Texas' Nueces County, where Corpus Christi is located, the number of new coronavirus cases skyrocketed in July after a flattening trend. The virus has infected dozens of babies and local officials are urging people to wear masks and practice social distancing.

"We currently have 85 babies under the age of one year in Nueces County that have all tested positive for Covid-19," said Annette Rodriguez, director of public health for Corpus Christi Nueces County.

"These babies have not even had their first birthday yet. Please help us stop the spread of this disease."

Shades

PostPosted: 07/18/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q0XCFYphwfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/18/20 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brazil and India are setting all kinds of records too.

US 3.7M cases
Brazil 2M
India 1M

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 07/18/20 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/18/20 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opinion: Canada said no to MLB and the Blue Jays - and we only have ourselves to blame
Quote:
Saturday, Major League Baseball’s hopes to stage a 60-game season as the novel coronavirus ravages the USA anew was consumed by the collective price we’re all paying thanks to our national mismanagement of this global tragedy.

And there’s simply no blaming Canada for this one...

Until Saturday, when That Government Up North took one last look at newly diagnosed cases of the coronavirus spiking in a majority of U.S. states, pondered the thought of MLB traveling parties criss-crossing this virus soup and then landing in Toronto, where COVID-19 has been almost neutralized, and thought better...

“Canada has been able to flatten the curve in large part due to the sacrifices Canadians have made,” said Marco Mendocino, Canada’s Minister of Immigration, in a statement. “We understand professional sports are important to the economy and to Canadians. At the same time, our government will continue to take decisions at the border on the basis of advice of our health experts in order to protect the health and safety of all Canadians.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/gabe-lacques/2020/07/18/canada-booting-toronto-blue-jays-united-states-coronavirus-cases/5466440002/

toad455

PostPosted: 07/18/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

US 3.7M cases
Brazil 2M
India 1M

Brazil still has no lockdown of any kind. Are they looking at herd immunity[which doesn't work]?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/18/20 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

US 3.7M cases
Brazil 2M
India 1M

Brazil still has no lockdown of any kind. Are they looking at herd immunity[which doesn't work]?

There have been local and state level restrictions, which Bolsonaro opposed and has been pressuring officials to lift, due to his concern over the economy. I don't think they have a real plan in place. Testing is inadequate and their health care system is struggling.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/934091?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=369619HT&impID=2466148&faf=1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/americas/gallery/brazil-coronavirus/index.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 79 of 100

Jump to: