RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/12/20 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Lawson was just prickly, and didn't want to be interviewed or talk to reporters who were not high-level. She was never mean but was never approachable and never gave a hint that she would talk to a reporter as a person. It was clear that any question was a waste of her valuable time.

Again, this was a long time ago, and people change ... but your point about high standards is a good one. It's something all highly motivated, intense players must deal with when they become coaches, because the vast majority of people are not as highly motivated and not as intense. Adjustments must be made on both sides, and sometimes they prove to be simply too much for one or the other.

The subsequent transition from player to ESPN reporter and analyst may have shifted her feelings about interviews substantially. And hopefully she will be approachable to the team and staff that she'll be leading.

Who also can forget the CBS Behind the scenes special of the UConn game her senior year and they caught her ignoring Pat then storming away from her while she was talking to her? As the previous post mentioned, I hope her attitude has shifted from that snobby/bratty type..she got the job by default, Sheryl Swoopes style.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 07/13/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will always love Kara Lawson for her Tweet that night!

https://twitter.com/karalawson20/status/848318800030203904?s=20

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The woman knows basketball. We'll see how she can do at coaching. I think having a bit of a prickly personality is actually a positive thing. Nobody's gonna run over her. I don't think it's at all like Swoopes. My impression with Swoopes was that her game was largely intuitive so when she started coaching she expected the kids to be like her. Lawson's game is much more mental...and I think more teachable. But we will see.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/13/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations Kara Lawson, for being hired as the next head coach for Duke women's basketball. I definitely must watch more ACC games this upcoming season.

PostPosted: 07/13/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are Kara Lawson's five biggest priorities as Duke's new head coach?
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29449846/what-kara-lawson-five-biggest-priorities-duke-new-head-coach

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/13/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29449846/what-kara-lawson-five-biggest-priorities-duke-new-head-coach

Interesting to see Holly Warlick mentioned as a possible AC. I actually think that might be a good fit. She's always been an outstanding recruiter and provided an approachable face to players as an AC.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/14/20 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Mechelle Voepel (ESPN)

Interesting to see Holly Warlick mentioned as a possible AC. I actually think that might be a good fit. She's always been an outstanding recruiter and provided an approachable face to players as an AC.

Do not expect to see Holly at Duke, unless something has changed.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Lawson was just prickly, and didn't want to be interviewed or talk to reporters who were not high-level. She was never mean but was never approachable and never gave a hint that she would talk to a reporter as a person. It was clear that any question was a waste of her valuable time.

Again, this was a long time ago, and people change ... but your point about high standards is a good one. It's something all highly motivated, intense players must deal with when they become coaches, because the vast majority of people are not as highly motivated and not as intense. Adjustments must be made on both sides, and sometimes they prove to be simply too much for one or the other.

The subsequent transition from player to ESPN reporter and analyst may have shifted her feelings about interviews substantially. And hopefully she will be approachable to the team and staff that she'll be leading.

Who also can forget the CBS Behind the scenes special of the UConn game her senior year and they caught her ignoring Pat then storming away from her while she was talking to her? As the previous post mentioned, I hope her attitude has shifted from that snobby/bratty type..she got the job by default, Sheryl Swoopes style.

Last edited by summertime blues on 07/14/20 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Some people grow up. Perhaps you could too.

PostPosted: 07/15/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z3_-dd8HHnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/03/20 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is from well over a month ago, but this one person who directs a/the program that connects Aussie high-school wbb recruits to collegiate programs in the US (link to the org. here) tweeted out this:

https://twitter.com/AusEliteGirlsBa/status/1285547302484971526

Quote:
Kara Lawson not honouring any Aussie commitments to Duke including Olivia Pollerd (2021) and / or Lucy Cochrane (transfer) two of my girls.

I only discovered this as Pollerd (6'3 F) recently committed to my UW Huskies. Cochrane (6'5 F) was of course at Oregon, but I don't know if she's re-committed to transferring elsewhere since her apparent de-commitment to Duke.

Interesting practice by Lawson, if that tweet is true. One would think she'd want to retain as many of the current recruits as she can and at least give them a chance in her system. But apparently she wants to go in a different direction - as it pertains to either the specific players she gets, or the dismantling of Duke's Australian recruiting pipeline altogether in favor of other recruiting routes, for whatever reason.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/03/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
This is from well over a month ago, but this one person who directs a/the program that connects Aussie high-school wbb recruits to collegiate programs in the US (link to the org. here) tweeted out this:

Quote:
Kara Lawson not honouring any Aussie commitments to Duke including Olivia Pollerd (2021) and / or Lucy Cochrane (transfer) two of my girls.

I only discovered this as Pollerd (6'3 F) recently committed to my UW Huskies. Cochrane (6'5 F) was of course at Oregon, but I don't know if she's re-committed to transferring elsewhere since her apparent de-commitment to Duke.

Interesting practice by Lawson, if that tweet is true. One would think she'd want to retain as many of the current recruits as she can and at least give them a chance in her system. But apparently she wants to go in a different direction - as it pertains to either the specific players she gets, or the dismantling of Duke's Australian recruiting pipeline altogether in favor of other recruiting routes, for whatever reason.

All viable theories, but I'd suggest another one: maybe she has had conversations re: specific talents in any given player, and decided that they weren't a good fit for her expectations. I say that cuz I know (from a very reliable source) that Miss Cochrane was in waay over head at Oregon, speaking from a talent perspective. She might not be a good fit for most P5 programs, or whatever. Those 2 cases don't necessarily preclude Kara from snatching up a veritable gem from Oz if available. Hard to know the entire backstory.

PostPosted: 09/03/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Some people grow up. Perhaps you could too.

Oh please! You are always jabbing UConn like a little toddler. Kara was always a snob in college. I loved the Meeks..wouldn't have a bad thing to say about 'em.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/03/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

All viable theories, but I'd suggest another one: maybe she has had conversations re: specific talents in any given player, and decided that they weren't a good fit for her expectations. I say that cuz I know (from a very reliable source) that Miss Cochrane was in waay over head at Oregon, speaking from a talent perspective. She might not be a good fit for most P5 programs, or whatever. Those 2 cases don't necessarily preclude Kara from snatching up a veritable gem from Oz if available. Hard to know the entire backstory.

The way I'm interpreting what you're saying is, the approximate level of talent McCallie was recruiting at before she departed was definitively below the level Lawson is trying to be at (and possibly already at). Laughing Y'know, I don't mind that mentality tbh! It shows a coach has hard standards that they want to set from the jump in order to build their program up that much quicker. The obvious caveat would be getting commitments out of the actual recruits one's aiming for. But Lawson leaving the NBA to coach at Duke made national headlines, so I'm sure she already has a talent-rich pool of student-athlete prospects, of which she'll be able to snag a few commitments out of. (Kinda wish my Huskies took that approach with finding a coach post-Neighbors, but so long as Mark Campbell is still available, one can dream~*)

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/03/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

The way I'm interpreting what you're saying is, the approximate level of talent McCallie was recruiting at before she departed was definitively below the level Lawson is trying to be at (and possibly already at). Laughing Y'know, I don't mind that mentality tbh! It shows a coach has hard standards that they want to set from the jump in order to build their program up that much quicker. The obvious caveat would be getting commitments out of the actual recruits one's aiming for. But Lawson leaving the NBA to coach at Duke made national headlines, so I'm sure she already has a talent-rich pool of student-athlete prospects, of which she'll be able to snag a few commitments out of. (Kinda wish my Huskies took that approach with finding a coach post-Neighbors, but so long as Mark Campbell is still available, one can dream~*)

On July 30, Duke added Sara Anastasieska a transfer from Cal, who is from Australia. So it doesn’t seem that she has created a negative impact on all of Australia.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 09/04/20 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

On July 30, Duke added Sara Anastasieska a transfer from Cal, who is from Australia. So it doesn’t seem that she has created a negative impact on all of Australia.

I don't know who said that Lawson had a negative impact on all of Australia. She's a coach, not a politician, and I don't think she wields that kind of power.

Perspective: Sara Anastsieska is not actually a Lawson recruit. It's more like Lawson hasn't kicked her out of the program. Anastasieska committed to Duke before Joanne P stepped down as head coach.

She's a grad transfer, so she is coming to Duke for a graduate degree. She has one year of eligibility left. She did not play many games at Cal until her senior year: "She sat out the 2016-17 season as a transfer and then played just 10 games over the next two seasons due to injuries before emerging as a starter last season."

Lawson needs bodies, and SA will be there just one year. Why not let SA stay?

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/04/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

I don't know who said that Lawson had a negative impact on all of Australia. She's a coach, not a politician, and I don't think she wields that kind of power.

Perspective: Sara Anastsieska is not actually a Lawson recruit. It's more like Lawson hasn't kicked her out of the program. Anastasieska committed to Duke before Joanne P stepped down as head coach.

She's a grad transfer, so she is coming to Duke for a graduate degree. She has one year of eligibility left. She did not play many games at Cal until her senior year: "She sat out the 2016-17 season as a transfer and then played just 10 games over the next two seasons due to injuries before emerging as a starter last season."

Obviously I didn’t mean the entire country of Australia, in one of the post I was responding to they mention this could dismantle the Australian pipeline to Duke, which is what I was referencing. As far as needing bodies, with out Sara Duke has 10 players, it’s not like Duke needs another player, if she was truly interested in “dismantling” that Australian pipeline she wouldn’t have kept or honor Sara’s scholarship. Because yes as you mention she wasn’t a Kara Lawson recruit, neither were the other 2 players they started this conversation.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/04/20 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Howee wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

Obviously I didn’t mean the entire country of Australia, in one of the post I was responding to they mention this could dismantle the Australian pipeline to Duke, which is what I was referencing. As far as needing bodies, with out Sara Duke has 10 players, it’s not like Duke needs another player, if she was truly interested in “dismantling” that Australian pipeline she wouldn’t have kept or honor Sara’s scholarship. Because yes as you mention she wasn’t a Kara Lawson recruit, neither were the other 2 players they started this conversation.

OutdoorsKid

PostPosted: 09/04/20 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

11 players - that's what the Phoenix Mercury started with in the Wubble. Now they are down to 7. Yeah, they won one with 7, but Taurasi's been hitting 3's and Diggins-Smith has had a good offensive run, too. Still, teams with 7 players end up with tired legs, and no margin of error for injuries.

Taurasi joked about it the other day, saying to send in resumes and game tapes because they need players.

Duke could lose 3 or 4 players to injuries, etc., and then they would be down to 6 or 7 players if they started with 10.

Louisville shows 13 on their roster now. So does NC State. They were ranked #1 and #2 in the ACC at the end of last season.

Could one more player make a difference for Duke? Maybe. And if your resource commitment to the player is just for one year, why not keep them on your roster?

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/04/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OutdoorsKid wrote:
11 players - that's what the Phoenix Mercury started with in the Wubble. Now they are down to 7. Yeah, they won one with 7, but Taurasi's been hitting 3's and Diggins-Smith has had a good offensive run, too. Still, teams with 7 players end up with tired legs, and no margin of error for injuries.

Taurasi joked about it the other day, saying to send in resumes and game tapes because they need players.

Duke could lose 3 or 4 players to injuries, etc., and then they would be down to 6 or 7 players if they started with 10.

Louisville shows 13 on their roster now. So does NC State. They were ranked #1 and #2 in the ACC at the end of last season.

Could one more player make a difference for Duke? Maybe. And if your resource commitment to the player is just for one year, why not keep them on your roster?

There is a difference between needing a player, and having an extra player. Could she help, sure, will be be critical to the success of the team, that remains to be seen, could Duke have gone on with the 10 players and not added her to the team, absolutely. And yes what you say is true about the Phoenix Mercury, but in a normal year they could have added another player, and while duke can’t just add another player, they don’t need all 10 players to practice, unless the NCAA is not allowing male practice players, which could be possible given how adding more people to a practice increases the chances for catching and spreading the virus.

There are NCAA teams who don’t even put every player on their roster through reps once the season starts, they will play the 7-8 people they are going to play in games, and have them go against the practice team while the rest of the team watches and cheers.

As far as her being on the team, I’m not arguing she shouldn’t be on the team, I am pointing out that Kara deciding to keep her on the team does show she has no intentions of dismantling that Australian pipeline nor does it show that her not honoring those 2 scholarships has had a completely negative impact on Australian basketball. Of course it remains to be seen what type of impact, if any it will have in the future, but in the current moment Kara accepting Sara onto the team and Sara accepting a spot on the team shows there are not completely ill feelings toward Duke by all of Australian Basketball, even if it’s just this one person at the moment, but it should also be noted Duke has another Australian player on the team that can also affect how Duke and Kara are viewed by Australian Basketball now and in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: