RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stanford eliminates 11 sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/20 4:14 pm    ::: Stanford eliminates 11 sports Reply Reply with quote

Not explicitly basketball, but seems appropriate here. I think we are all underestimating the financial impact we will see on sports over the next while, especially if football revenue is notably reduced (it will be).

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/07/08/athletics/?utm_source=athletics&utm_medium=tw&utm_campaign=an

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad very sad.

thanks for posting the link. I had received it as an email but it was too long to post verbatim here.

The bottom line is that after this year 20-21, the following programs will be discontinued: Men's and women's fencing, Field hockey ( near to my heart as I played both field hockey and basketball there and at that time our field hockey team was much better than our basketball team!), lightweight rowing, men's rowing, coed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volley ball, and wrestling.

Crying or Very sad

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/20 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and I wonder if some very rich alumni might step up to pay to continue one or more of these programs. It seems possible.

- Amanda Gorman
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/08/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read that even if sport found finding elsewhere would not be restored to Varsity status. Also Ivy League cancelled fall sports competition.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/08/20 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
...and I wonder if some very rich alumni might step up to pay to continue one or more of these programs. It seems possible.

I believe that in the transition to club status the alumni could help defray much of the cost, but I suspect that the Varsity status is lost. Cal cut several teams a few years ago. I believe rowing and field hockey are the only sports among those cut by Stanford that are still played at Cal.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The field hockey alumni group is very active, actually more so than basketball so this will be quite a blow. I wonder if any of the athletes will head across the Bay...or possibly Cal will follow suit.

- Amanda Gorman
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 07/09/20 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a former college field hockey player I was very sad to read this. I think field hockey on the west coast is a more expensive pursuit due to travel costs. In the northeast and mid-Atlantic there are lots of nearby teams and plenty of competition for both league and non-league matchups. I hope Cal’s program can survive... the university has treated the program pretty poorly of late, particularly given the Bears were without an actual field for a couple seasons and had to use Stanford’s....given recent Title IX skirmish, Cal may want to avoid further negative scrutiny: https://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/02/417576/

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/09/20 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
As a former college field hockey player I was very sad to read this. I think field hockey on the west coast is a more expensive pursuit due to travel costs. In the northeast and mid-Atlantic there are lots of nearby teams and plenty of competition for both league and non-league matchups. I hope Cal’s program can survive... the university has treated the program pretty poorly of late, particularly given the Bears were without an actual field for a couple seasons and had to use Stanford’s....given recent Title IX skirmish, Cal may want to avoid further negative scrutiny: https://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/02/417576/

yes, back in the day we did play quite a few of the UC teams - like Cal, Davis, Sacramento, Fresno, even Hayward I think...but did also travel to the East Coast for tournaments. Since they're saying there's only two other varsity teams on the West Coast, I guess these, other than Cal, don't still have teams, or maybe not varsity teams. Crying or Very sad BTW way back then, Cal had a weird astroturf field! Boy, you could sure rocket a shot end to end on that!

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 07/10/20 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The bottom line is that after this year 20-21, the following programs will be discontinued: Men's and women's fencing, Field hockey ......, men's volley ball, and wrestling.

Foggy, distant memory here but.....isn't there a provision in Title IX that specifies that, if a school provides a team for one gender, it must provide a team for both in any given sport, or either gender must be allowed to play on the other gender's team?? For example, if men's volleyball is cancelled, they may not legally preclude a guy from playing on the women's team? I remember at my college, hearing that pressure, which allowed for a men's volleyball 'club' to begin, leading to an eventual team.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The bottom line is that after this year 20-21, the following programs will be discontinued: Men's and women's fencing, Field hockey ......, men's volley ball, and wrestling.

Foggy, distant memory here but.....isn't there a provision in Title IX that specifies that, if a school provides a team for one gender, it must provide a team for both in any given sport, or either gender must be allowed to play on the other gender's team?? For example, if men's volleyball is cancelled, they may not legally preclude a guy from playing on the women's team? I remember at my college, hearing that pressure, which allowed for a men's volleyball 'club' to begin, leading to an eventual team.

I don't know the exact wording, but there has to be equal opportunity to play sports for both sexes, but they don't have to be the same sports. Otherwise for instance there would have to be women's football...

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I don't know the exact wording, but there has to be equal opportunity to play sports for both sexes, but they don't have to be the same sports. Otherwise for instance there would have to be women's football...

Right. Except, according to my theory, since there IS no women's football option, the school may not keep a woman from playing (trying out?) for the men's team--obviously keeping 99.999% of women from getting on the team.

With that caveat, the same school must allow any men who wish to try out for the women's volleyball team to do so, if there is no other option for men. This is exactly what we presented to our women's volleyball coach in '76. She said if that was enacted, she'd simply have to shut down the women's program, as they couldn't find any willing opponents to schedule our team. The solution was to initiate a men's 'club' to lead into a men's team. Reverse discrimination card played by us. Razz This was at a small D3 school, with no athletic scholarships, etc. Clearly not going to be a *thing* for D1 programs, I'd think.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of schools that have women’s volleyball teams and not a men’s volleyball team, and the same goes for gymnastics, swimming and diving and track and field.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/10/20 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Dartmouth follows Stanford's lead...

Quote:
Citing ongoing budget challenges exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, Dartmouth College on Thursday cut five sports from its varsity roster and announced the permanent closing of Hanover Country Club.

In a letter to faculty, students, staff and undergraduate families, college President Phil Hanlon said the Ivy League school would eliminate the lightweight crew, men’s and women’s golf, and men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs immediately, reducing the school’s varsity lineup to 30 teams.

Hanlon said a 35-team varsity roster combined with having the smallest enrollment among the eight-member Ivies meant “athletic recruitment at Dartmouth has begun to impact our ability to achieve the right balance between applicants who are accomplished in athletics and applicants who excel in other pursuits.”

He asked athletic director Harry Sheehy to reduce the number of recruited athletes in each new class by 10%.

...Dartmouth’s announcement follows a similar effort by Ivy rival Brown University to cut 11 sports from its varsity lineup in late May, a move affecting seven coaches and around 150 competitors. The school later reinstated the men’s track and cross country programs; a group of athletes from remaining teams is planning a legal challenge.

https://www.vnews.com/Dartmouth-College-cuts-five-intercollegiate-teams-will-permanently-close-Hanover-Country-Club-35152771

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/16/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well shit is definitely being stirred up among the alumni. Don't know if it will change anything, but a lot of umbrage about the wording and meaning surrounding that press release. The Prez at Stanford has not heard the end of it for sure.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/27/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some Purdue coaches take a voluntary 20% pay cut.
Quote:
“We knew without fall sports, there was going to be obviously a major shortfall,” Versyp said. “I’m a boilermaker through and through, so for me, it was a sign of leadership.”

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/purdue-coaches-to-take-voluntary-pay-cut-to-help-university-amid-covid-19/531-6f477364-ea2b-4387-bd5c-14aeddb78766

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: