RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/28/20 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The whole point of being in a protective bubble is that you’re safer than you are outside. Luuuc’s video is pretty representative of the pandemic deniers who are running around in the “normal” world. There are people who act like wearing a mask to protect their neighbors is some kind of government conspiracy. Who cares if the world medical community is united in recommending masks? This is clearly a ploy to deprive people of their civil liberties. Then there are the religious extremists who think we should do nothing and whatever catastrophe happens is “the will of God.” Meanwhile, the players are being offered an environment where they and everyone around them are tested regularly. If anybody is found to be sick, that person will get immediate medical attention – probably from top notch doctors. Is this really worse than the outside world? And on top of that, the players get to do what they love and receive 100% pay for 61% of the games. Personally, if I could find a protective bubble filled with my peers and like-minded people, I’d move there in a heartbeat.

What we’ve learned about this virus is that the recommended precautions work. That's why places that were hard hit early were able to flatten the curve. It seems like the WNBA is doing their best to seek out advice from the medical community. Can they guarantee 100% safety? No. But if everyone buys in and follows the rules, then I think there’s a good chance of success. What it comes down to is whether the players think they can trust each other to behave responsibly.

exactly, IMO - this is it. i believe there is less of a chance contracting within the bubble. if a player hasn't caught it yet, they must be social distancing and wearing a mask when in public places... these are the rules for within the bubble.
so, adding in regular testing and everyone doing the same things/going same places/interacting with same people - whats the difference? same, if not safer in the bubble than not.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/28/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Boy, that would really suck for Emma Meesseman to drag herself across the ocean only to have all her American teammates opt-out. Confused

There’s absolutely no indication here in the DMV that the Mystics have any plans whatsoever of opting out as a team.

Thibault just added Essence Carson to the roster. DC is planning to play, but of course if the virus swept through the roster, that could cause players and coaches to reconsider. Which is true for any team.

People keep saying it'll be the Mystics, but if so, I'd hope they'd tell Meesseman to stay home. She apparently flew in yesterday. Plus they signed Carson as well. Why give a player a contract to have the entire team withdraw this week.

I agree. I don't think any team would be signing players if they knew a mass rebellion was brewing. I was just commenting on the theory that DC was the team. I also don't think it's likely to be any squad with a lot of young unestablished players. Careerwise, it might be too risky. Also, young people think they're indestructible.

So far, the opt-outs are either veterans or foreign players. If an entire team were to opt-out, it would probably be a squad dominated by veterans and perhaps foreign players. Additionally, it would be a franchise that hasn't signed anyone recently. Does any team fit that description? Maybe Chicago? Colson has the virus right now. Dolson had it previously, and from what I've read it was a miserable time. Her stories could instill teammates with fear. And I remember Lavender saying a month or two ago that she was reluctant to play. It's surprising she hasn't opted-out yet. Waiting for the group announcement? Or maybe, as Richyyy has suggested, Mo Currie is just being dramatic. Smile

PostPosted: 06/28/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Outside of Colson & Lavender, the remaining 9 Sky players have been at practice. Still plausible they all sit, but odds are Colson & Lavender will opt-out this week sometime.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/28/20 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, and now that I think about it, the scary story I heard about the virus was probably Plaisance and not Dolson. My mistake. Embarassed

PostPosted: 06/28/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, and now that I think about it, the scary story I heard about the virus was probably Plaisance and not Dolson. My mistake. Embarassed

Dolson's story was not as bad as the Plaisance or Cambage* stories but it sounded pretty bad to me.

(Claims she had the virus in China, but, you know.....Liz.....)

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the only early confirmed cases of coronavirus were from Wiese and Dolson. Plaisance joined Cambage in believing she had it.

Florida closed its bars again, if that makes anyone feel any better.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 06/28/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I believe the only early confirmed cases of coronavirus were from Wiese and Dolson. Plaisance joined Cambage in believing she had it.

Florida closed its bars again, if that makes anyone feel any better.

I believe you are right about Plaisance and Cambage.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 06/28/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
With all due respect, Mo has a tendency to hear whispers and then 'report' them as screams. Of course teams have 'discussed' pulling out en masse. Who the hell wouldn't when the league is intending to send you to one of the country's Covid-19 hotspots, and via commercial travel rather than charters like the NBA? That doesn't necessarily mean it's on the brink of actually happening. I'd wait until we hear something more concrete rather than turning this into more than it is.

This she often reports way earlier than she should...I got blocked about her doing that with Tina Charles and telling her to STFU without facts (At the time it looked less like digging and more grasping at straws after deals with the Merc obviously fell thru)...the irony she was 100% right...the reason I stand by my remarks (Tho not language) is exactly what Richyyy is talking about...overreporting offhand comments.

I will say the following off this

I don't think the negoiations are done...especially in presentations regarding social Justice...I've in the past criticized WBB (Esp ESPN College Coverage) for presenting itself as the Jerry Lewis Telethon rather than a legit sport...in this case as this is what the PLAYERS WANT...in both the NBA and W...in fact McCoughtry's idea of wearing victim's names on jerseys seems to be taken by the NBA...So the question is HOW much will the games be presented as games...(We can debate if that will grow the game or not elsewhere...this is clearly about the PLAYERS and I will do nothing but support whatever the W looks like this year)

The Loeffler issue is MUCH bigger than anyone has been talking about IMHO...this is someone running on the racist policies, pro police, pro brutality and voter suppression of Trump, Kemp and DeSantis...and a the same time Owning a club in a league that is 80% black, and has demanded that the league be about Social Justice and other Liberal policies.

Something's gotta give there.

This is worse than sterling...sterling had been a pest who they finally found something to fry him with and both owners and players were MORE than happy to flip the switch.

Here, We have an owner who had mostly been dedicated to the "feminist" (NOTE THE QUOTES) and female athletes part of the W, (I do not doubt McCoughtry's comments one Iota when it comes to her interactions with players in the past) But was thrust into a position where she now opposes the CORE VALUES of the league...AS IMPOSED BY ITS PLAYERS AS A CONDITION OF THEIR PARTICIPATION...(remember even with the new salaries its still more to play overseas therefore the players control the messaging)

I'm shocked more hasn't been done by players, but if a year later we hear Hayes or Montgomery say yeah I wasn't putting my health on the line for that racist $*#&! I wouldn't be surprised...I agree this isn't over...and Englebert's silence has been deafening and Sienko's continued Social Justice Marketing in the face of Loeffler's comments is Crocodile Tears AT BEST.

Something has to be done because as we get into sept and October, it will get worse...and remember this WILL likely drag into the offseason...November's race is a glorified primary...a full majority is needed to avoid a run off in January...who KNOWS what she'll run on at that point.

And this is why we shouldn't have owners holding public office.

And this could be worse. Could you imagin NO COVID, and Loeffler I dunno Running campaign ads on the jumbotron LOL

High Risk Cases seem to be determined (according to the ESPN article) in the next week...I'm sure the Lyme and the MVP will be discussed this week, and for all we know for Insurance reasons, it could be as much a case of the W telling EDD to stay away than the other way around...Ditto Cox who does seem to be warming up and practicing with the Fever.

Stay tuned.

Laimbeer leaked this weeks before...We wont know who shows up until they enter the bubble and lock themselves in their rooms.

I mean he's dealing with the Noshow queen in Cambage and knows it...The deadline was helpful but we got Players like Stewart (Where like Cheney, the compressed schedule's injury risk is the real bugaboo) We still have players negotiating flights to get here...which given Meesaman getting red taped on non Covid issues, is not the slam dunk it was. Not to mention post season self quarrentine issues.

Lastly the NWSL as a place to observe.

I will say there was a lot of injury concern in NWSL, tho I will asterisk that they were playing on turf not grass which has its own extra layer of risk.

The Orlando pride debacle seems again SEEMS to be players going rogue, with only 12 on a roster, and an overall older league (sans 7 rookie Libs) I don't think this as much a concern.

Now Florida Itself...I dunno if they have a backup site, even if it means a weeks delay and loss of say the first week of playoffs...but things are bad...and given their economic dependency on tourism, I would NOT trust the government even if a Bernie Bro was in there, let alone someone like DiSantis. We don't fully know how bad it is...so we could be basically ending up in an incubator than a bubble...that's something to worry about.

But the new numbers are NOT being ignored either...

I think this coming week will be VERY interesting.

PostPosted: 06/29/20 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams are set to fly into Florida early next week. Season set to start-up in 25 days. No schedule out, overall lack of informantion available, very poor look from the league.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Something has to be done because as we get into sept and October, it will get worse...and remember this WILL likely drag into the offseason...November's race is a glorified primary...a full majority is needed to avoid a run off in January...who KNOWS what she'll run on at that point.

Most folks here in GA don't think she'll be in the runoff. It will likely be Doug Collins vs one of the Democrats (probably Raphael Warnock).

PostPosted: 06/29/20 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Various baseball players are beginning to opt out of the 2020 MLB season. For all the professional sports with competition ahead, it's going to be very interesting to see how many athletes opt out.

PostPosted: 06/29/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA is looking for black-owned restaurants, chefs and caterers in Bradenton and surrounding areas DEADLINE JUNE 30th
https://www.powerbrokermagazine.com/opportunities,the-wnba-is-looking-for-black-owned-restaurants-chefs-and-caterers-in-bradenton-and-surrounding-areas-deadline-june-30th

Quote:
The Florida State Minority Supplier Development Council (FSMSDC) – just shared the news that the WNBA will in Bradenton from July through September (presumably training). The WNBA is looking for black-owned restaurants, chefs and caterers in Bradenton and surrounding areas.

If you or someone you know fits the bill, please forward the following details to the FSMSDC, by close of business on Tuesday, June 30th is requested:

Your Business name
Business address
Website
Type of Food Available
Contact Person
Contact Phone
Contact Email
Whether Delivery is Offered
PLEASE FORWARD THIS info to:

Yasmeen Ferrera, Florida State Minority Supplier Development Council yasmeen@fsmsdc.org

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 06/30/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has a timeline on a schedule been rumored/reported yet? I am hoping for 3 games per night on six of the seven days during the week with Monday being an off day for everyone. That would make with playoffs for a lot of action for about 9-10 weeks.

I'm still torn about playing though. It just takes one tragic circumstance to override anything basketball related. As a person who lives for this time of the year, I'm still very afraid for what players might be exposing themselves to. Keeping in mind we still don't know what long-term effects might exist due to the virus, even for those who recover in the short term.

PostPosted: 06/30/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I'm still torn about playing though. It just takes one tragic circumstance to override anything basketball related. As a person who lives for this time of the year, I'm still very afraid for what players might be exposing themselves to. Keeping in mind we still don't know what long-term effects might exist due to the virus, even for those who recover in the short term.

Totally with you. Of course I'll be thrilled if soon I can see (on TV) the New York Liberty in a basketball game and the New York Mets in a baseball game. But there are vivid reasons to be fearful--especially given your important reminder that there may be serious long-term harm from Covid-19 for those who become ill and recover.

PostPosted: 06/30/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just odd that the NBA released their schedule last week and they start a week later than the W.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/01/20 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mobile.twitter.com/satou_sabally/status/1278011664303042565

Quote:
I had to train with a mask on today. You better not complain if you have to wear one while getting groceries. 🙃

Maybe this is just what basketball players will have to do this year. I’m sure it can’t be comfortable when you’re winded!

Randy

PostPosted: 07/01/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/satou_sabally/status/1278011664303042565

Quote:
I had to train with a mask on today. You better not complain if you have to wear one while getting groceries. 🙃

Maybe this is just what basketball players will have to do this year. I’m sure it can’t be comfortable when you’re winded!

Only in America is wearing a mask considered to be a fate worse than death.....

toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/20 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Season starts in 23 days, would be nice to have a schedule now.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/01/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Season starts in 23 days, would be nice to have a schedule now.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is the WNBA we’re talking about here...

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i do not know but I suspect that the WNBA has not announced its schedule yet because ESPN wants to see the MLB schedule first. Without any gate the revenue derived from TV revenue is even more critical. There will be a very busy sports calendar if the NBA, MLB and the WNBA (all televised on ESPN) all play in August. And it gets even worse in September if the NFL and college football play in September. The NBA has games being played from 2pm to 11:30pm nearly every day. Baseball will take up many more slots leaving the crumbs for the WNBA. There should be some slots for the WNBA, but when and on what channel is still up in the air. (Does everyone have ESPNews or ESPNU?)

tfan

PostPosted: 07/01/20 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
i do not know but I suspect that the WNBA has not announced its schedule yet because ESPN wants to see the MLB schedule first. Without any gate the revenue derived from TV revenue is even more critical. There will be a very busy sports calendar if the NBA, MLB and the WNBA (all televised on ESPN) all play in August. And it gets even worse in September if the NFL and college football play in September. The NBA has games being played from 2pm to 11:30pm nearly every day. Baseball will take up many more slots leaving the crumbs for the WNBA. There should be some slots for the WNBA, but when and on what channel is still up in the air. (Does everyone have ESPNews or ESPNU?)

When the ESPN/WNBA contract was increased in 2013 there was a change in the wording used, as least as reported. It had been that ESPN/ESPN2/ABC had to show a minimum amount of games (18 regular season and 11 post-season). But the next, better deal, for the WNBA was reported as ESPN broadcasting "up to 30 games a year". With that wording ESPN may be on the hook for money even if they can't broadcast the games. But the 22 game moved season probably invalidates the prior contract - and required payment - to some extent. If only the WNBA could have gotten their season going in May.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/03/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the games will be played off-site

PostPosted: 07/03/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really curious why they aren't playing at IMG Academy. And also where are they playing now? This is so confusing and the lack of information from the league is dumbfounding. We're three weeks away from the start of the season and we still don't have a schedule. Or where they are playing now.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Voepel, teams will be playing at Feld Entertainment Center in Ellenton, FL. It's approximately 20 minutes from IMG Academy.

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/03/20 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing off-site was always an option. It was stated in the announced plan. As I recall, it has to do with having more favorable conditions for broadcasting the games. I'm not sure what that means exactly -- probably better technical access, but possibly also facilities that look and sound better on camera when the space is empty. There's also the issue of having outside broadcast crews invading the bubble. Maybe they felt it was safer to bring the players out rather than to bring the TV people in?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: