RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/02/20 2:18 pm    ::: How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29400509/how-duke-women-basketball-replace-coach-joanne-p-mccallie

Quote:
Who might Duke look to in order to get back there? Here are some potential candidates for the job.

PostPosted: 07/02/20 3:13 pm    ::: Re: How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29400509/how-duke-women-basketball-replace-coach-joanne-p-mccallie

Quote:
Who might Duke look to in order to get back there? Here are some potential candidates for the job.

Look no further than the reigning ACC Coach of the Year.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/03/20 10:53 am    ::: Re: How Duke can replace coach Joanne P. McCallie Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Look no further than the reigning ACC Coach of the Year.

Hmm. I like the idea of GG with Alaina, Joy and Lindsay as her proteges. Cool

PostPosted: 07/03/20 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bring back coach G 👍🏻

PostPosted: 07/03/20 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Bring back coach G 👍🏻

She walked away, she will never get the job.

IMO, Think youth. A coach who could build a 20 year dynasty.

goforit77

PostPosted: 07/03/20 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Bring back coach G 👍🏻

She walked away, she will never get the job.

IMO, Think youth. A coach who could build a 20 year dynasty.

I wouldn't be so sure of that....Different Admin..Different scenario...White is desperate to make a homerun hire...He needs to bring the fans back...GG would instantaneously do that. The DWB fan base has been in agony for the past 10+ years and we would welcome back GG with open arms and would be patient because we know what she can accomplish.

Harding or Beard could be a head coach in waiting and both have expressed a desire to come back to Duke

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/03/20 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure of that....Different Admin..Different scenario...White is desperate to make a homerun hire...He needs to bring the fans back...GG would instantaneously do that. The DWB fan base has been in agony for the past 10+ years and we would welcome back GG with open arms and would be patient because we know what she can accomplish.

Harding or Beard could be a head coach in waiting and both have expressed a desire to come back to Duke

I understand your wish for GG to return, but I think it’s never going to happen. I expect Duke to make a fresh start, rather than recycling an old coach.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/04/20 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
I understand your wish for GG to return, but I think it’s never going to happen. I expect Duke to make a fresh start, rather than recycling an old coach.

Lo and behold: Duke tells former coach Gail Goestenkors she is not a candidate to replace McCallie

Quote:
Contacted by ESPN, Goestenkors confirmed that and said she did not get an interview. Goestenkors, 57, said she was disappointed but wished the school the best.

I'm guessing they already have or have had a couple people in mind to replace McCallie? It's definitely an interesting time (and somewhat interesting timing) to be hiring a collegiate head coach... we'll see who they can get.

adamj95

PostPosted: 07/04/20 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They really should be exploring all avenues. Not sure what interviewing GG could have hurt but we shall see. One name I haven’t seen mentioned is FGCU head coach. Still young at 49 years old and he’s built a great program there. I doubt he’ll be selected but he has a great record thus far in his career.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People seem to forget how good Coach P was when Duke hired her. I’m sure they feel (and probably rightfully so) that they can almost have their pick of the litter and get someone with recent, established success. I feel like there are 8-10 people they could go with that would make sense. That said, I don’t know why you wouldn’t give GG an interview either.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/04/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
They really should be exploring all avenues. Not sure what interviewing GG could have hurt but we shall see. One name I haven’t seen mentioned is FGCU head coach. Still young at 49 years old and he’s built a great program there. I doubt he’ll be selected but he has a great record thus far in his career.

He would be a great choice, but there is no way a man is getting this job.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/04/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

I'm not sure Smesko has the recruiting experience, either at the athletic or academic level, to succeed at Duke.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/04/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

I'm not sure Smesko has the recruiting experience, either at the athletic or academic level, to succeed at Duke.

Fwiw, Smesko was offered the USC job a couple years ago before, funny enough, USC ended up re-hiring Mark Trakh for his second stint as USC head coach after almost 50 days of the job being open. I don't think this job's gonna be open for 50 days, but under these financial conditions that virtually every school is operating (of course mixed in with the potential for administrative incompetence), we'll see.

I've read comments online here & there about Krzyzewski and Goestenkors not getting along when she was at Duke - and I'm sure he has that kind of veto power in that athletic department that would prevent her from returning.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/04/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke will manage to shoot themselves in the foot......again. McCallie wasn't all that when they hired her, never mind the bag of chips. She'd had some good assistants, a so-so conference, and a little dumb luck prior to arriving in Durham, and it all went to her head.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie was far more proven when she came to Durham than Goestenkors was. GG was a mostly unknown assistant at Purdue under Lin Dunn. The Boilers never got past the S16 when she was there.

Not sure why anyone thinks Duke will return to being a perennial power. For all her faults, McCallie is the second most successful coach in Duke WBB history.

PostPosted: 07/04/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie had that 2005 Final Four run with Michigan St in which they beat Stanford in the Elite 8 and Tennessee in the Final Four. The Lady Vols blew a 16 point (49-33) and lost by 4 (68-64). Baylor crushed Michigan St. in national championship game 84-62.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/05/20 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
McCallie was far more proven when she came to Durham than Goestenkors was. GG was a mostly unknown assistant at Purdue under Lin Dunn. The Boilers never got past the S16 when she was there.

Not sure why anyone thinks Duke will return to being a perennial power. For all her faults, McCallie is the second most successful coach in Duke WBB history.

That last sentence more than anything proves how much GG built the program. MCCallie wasn't a solid custodian of the program.

I'm gonna throw out Lisa Fortner from GU as a solid potential. She's took the reins of a solid program at a school where the men's program is THE PROGRAM. She recruits far and wide to Spokane especially working the international beat and retaining some of the instate talent and that seems to be Dukes strength as well. She has the most successful non P5 program on the West Coast (if Spokane can be called Coast). Regularly punches it out with the powerhouses of the PAC.

Don't know if she wants to leave. Like Few she has a sweet deal going on in the Lilac City.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/05/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Lisa Fortner

Whoa, Nelly . . . it's Fortier
taropatch

PostPosted: 07/05/20 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lo and behold: Duke tells former coach Gail Goestenkors she is not a candidate to replace McCallie

I wouldn't count GG out completely. Sometimes alumni fan pressure can turn the tide. She's only 57 -- some of you have her signed up for Medicare already.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 07/05/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't count GG out completely. Sometimes alumni fan pressure can turn the tide. She's only 57 -- some of you have her signed up for Medicare already.

Sorry that you are disappointed, but she won’t be returning to Duke. Time to start thinking about others who might be a good fit.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/05/20 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Smesko has fared VERY well in consistently making a mid-major a perennial contender; he makes the most of limited quality recruits. He has *it*, I believe: with big name talent, I do believe he might do well on most P5 teams. But ya....I doubt his gender is helping him here. I'd love to be wrong, tho....he's awesome.

PostPosted: 07/07/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Gail's first year was 1992-1993. WBB is a vastly different landscape now than it was nearly 30 years ago.

pilight wrote:

Yes, she is the second-most successful coach...of four.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yes, she is the second-most successful coach...of four.

....and "Twice a Prince" came in second, too. Razz

PostPosted: 07/08/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Quote:

Sorry that you are disappointed, but she won’t be returning to Duke. Time to start thinking about others who might be a good fit.

I'm curious about why you're so firm in your conviction that Duke will not hire Coach G under any circumstances. If it were your team you're talking about bringing back the best coach ever who left after being disrespected by the administration, would you still be so clear? Or is it that Duke admin continues to disrespect women's athletics that leads you to know they won't bring back Coach G?

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/08/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
taropatch wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious about why you're so firm in your conviction that Duke will not hire Coach G under any circumstances. If it were your team you're talking about bringing back the best coach ever who left after being disrespected by the administration, would you still be so clear? Or is it that Duke admin continues to disrespect women's athletics that leads you to know they won't bring back Coach G?

Since Duke supposedly already told Gail they wouldn't consider her, that seems fairly final.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: