RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Power Rankings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 06/30/20 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Losing Plum means McBride is their only proven consistent 3-point shoote, so they'll need Bentley, Rodgers, etc to step up, bounce back, etc.

Laimbeer didn’t want her shooting threes anyway. Why do you think he picked up DRob? He likes to play in the trenches. With Cambage and Wilson, he doesn’t need “lanes cleared”. They can just bull their way into picking up fouls and getting to the line. That’s Laimbeer’s system.

SpaceJunkie wrote:
The Storm still have the greatest winner in WNBA History/the GOAT in Natasha Howard, so they have to win more championships to fufill Reeve having made sure the Storm (if not every other team in the WNBA) end up with more titles than the Lynx.

Oh yeah, I forgot about her. She can probably win the championship by herself, like they showed last year. Wasn’t she valued as a second round pick by the league’s greatest evaluator.... the same one who took a late first rounder at #6 this year?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/30/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Obviously no one would have ever thought of power rankings if you hadn't said something. Thank you so much.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You guys crack me up, literally.

You know only the rebkell conquistador matters here ! Cool Cool

I even agreed about the Liberty being at #12 , but of course if its not from conquistador its not legit.

PostPosted: 06/30/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Laimbeer didn’t want her shooting threes anyway. Why do you think he picked up DRob? He likes to play in the trenches. With Cambage and Wilson, he doesn’t need “lanes cleared”. They can just bull their way into picking up fouls and getting to the line. That’s Laimbeer’s system.

Crap. I forgot the Aces have superstar D-Rob. It would be fitting that the Aces win a title thanks to another Reeve reject. Smile

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
The Storm still have the greatest winner in WNBA History/the GOAT in Natasha Howard, so they have to win more championships to fufill Reeve having made sure the Storm (if not every other team in the WNBA) end up with more titles than the Lynx.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about her. She can probably win the championship by herself, like they showed last year. Wasn’t she valued as a second round pick by the league’s greatest evaluator.... the same one who took a late first rounder at #6 this year?

Nobody has even won a title by themselves, but nobody have ever had a bigger impact on a team's success as Howard has with Seattle as she single-handedly turned a mediocre team into a dynasty (while the Lynx have been one of the worst teams in the WNBA every year since). Nobody on the Storm knew how to win until Howard came and showed them the way. That is why I consider Howard to be arugably better than any player in WNBA history.

Unfortunately, with the coaching changes of last year, the Lynx may have the worst coach in the WNBA now. Reeve reminds me of US Presidents—all they do/care about is destorying their own team (country), but she can do whatever she wants because her supporters suck up to her to matter what.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/30/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Voepel must have noticed me grumbling about a lack of power rankings.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29388073/2020-wnba-power-rankings-seattle-storm-replace-washington-mystics-no-1

Finally somebody agreeing with me about NYL.
New coach, questionable system, questionable draft, 7 rookies.
Anything above last place may be the story of the year.

How are the Aces not #1? Voepel has them #4 even with her factoring in Cambage as coming over. Is she that Plum crazy?

Storm seem like a fragile team. Not sure they can keep it all together for a championship.

Many of the rankings on this very thread have New York as the bottom team just as you do, unless the "somebody" you're referring to is an official analyst and not one of your fellow basement-dweller board members. Razz

Every team seems fragile to similar degrees this year. Contenders are losing key rotation pieces left & right due to the opt-outs. On top of that: For Washington, EDD even if she doesn't opt out gets sick or injured at least once per season. For LA, team chemistry (centered around Parker) has traditionally been the issue. For Vegas, McCoughtry who still might not be 100% is a big piece to integrate and #PlayoffPlum won't be playing - and the outside shooting still looks scarce. So until the Storm has a key player or two actually opt out, the Storm is my #1 team too. As of now, 6/30/2020, here are my rankings:

1. Seattle
2. Las Vegas
3. Washington
4. Los Angeles
5. Phoenix
6. Chicago
7. Connecticut
8. Minnesota
9. Indiana
10. Dallas
11. Atlanta
12. New York

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 06/30/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question, how are people ranking Washington as a top four team when they have lost three of their starters from last year's team? Confused

PostPosted: 06/30/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Question, how are people ranking Washington as a top four team when they have lost three of their starters from last year's team? Confused

I'm personally just going by who they still do have, at least on paper. Thibault, EDD, and Leilani Mitchell are all still question marks for different reasons, but until they officially opt out I see no reason not to tentatively factor them in. The same goes for 'less uncertain' people like Meesseman, Charles, Atkins, Powers, and others. Admittedly, they do have a dwindling number of PG options; on paper, EDD might be easier to replace than Mitchell, strictly as it relates to positional balance. (Maybe Brittany Boyd finds herself signing here in a Mitchell-less scenario) And then like I said, other contenders are losing quality players too, evening things out.

Like you said though, power rankings really don't matter at all until the season starts. Razz

nsw43

PostPosted: 06/30/20 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is Mitchell a question mark?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/30/20 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:

I heard either on here or on Twitter that she was having trouble getting cleared to fly from Australia to the States. Not 100% sure if that is still/was ever the case, however.

nsw43

PostPosted: 07/01/20 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

I heard either on here or on Twitter that she was having trouble getting cleared to fly from Australia to the States. Not 100% sure if that is still/was ever the case, however.

Thanks. I hope that since Meeseman made it, FLB will too.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/01/20 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Mercury are flying on the radar here. Mystics, Sparks and Vegas all lost 1 or more players. Yes the Mercury lost Bonner but they gained Diggins.
I still remember that semi final series with the Mercury in 2018 so im not sleeping on them

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/20 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

I mean, Whitcomb, Magbegor & Alanna Smith made it over. Mystics do need her, otherwise Delle Donne may be their starting PG.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell's at least half-American, though. Just happens to have an element of Australian heritage and play for the Opals. Are we sure she was in Australia to start with?

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Mitchell's at least half-American, though. Just happens to have an element of Australian heritage and play for the Opals. Are we sure she was in Australia to start with?

Yes, she was definitely down here through Covid time

PostPosted: 07/01/20 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

I suspect she landed in the US, and the Immigration people are questioning her:

"So you claim you are a professional basketball player? How tall are you. You don't look 5'5" to me."

"Oh and I see you 2 passports what's with that?"

"What does this FLB on your dufflebag stand for?"

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/01/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

I suspect she landed in the US, and the Immigration people are questioning her:

"So you claim you are a professional basketball player? How tall are you. You don't look 5'5" to me."

"Oh and I see you 2 passports what's with that?"

"What does this FLB on your dufflebag stand for?"

Are you saying they took her to the back room for further inspection?

PostPosted: 07/04/20 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Cambage sitting out, how does that change everyone’s rankings?

PostPosted: 07/04/20 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

I kinda of expected her to opt-out, so now:

1. Seattle
2. Phoenix
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Indiana
7. Minnesota
8. Las Vegas
9. Atlanta
10. Connecticut
11. New York
12. Dallas

Washington will also drop assuming Delle Donne is also opting-out, which is being strongly rumored. Indiana just may be the team to cause a lot of upsets in the "bubble".

Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/04/20 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

We're close enough to the date (even if it's not actually the 6th) of all the teams reporting with whoever they have so I'm just gonna wait til then.

toad455 wrote:
11. New York
12. Dallas

If you're willing to share toad, I'm particularly curious to hear your reasoning on putting New York and Dallas in that order?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/04/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:
11. New York
12. Dallas

If you're willing to share toad, I'm particularly curious to hear your reasoning on putting New York and Dallas in that order?

My guess is that Toad is an impossible homer. Smile

toad455

PostPosted: 07/05/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
toad455 wrote:
11. New York
12. Dallas

My guess is that Toad is an impossible homer. Smile

Yes.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/05/20 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The power rankings now have Phoenix and Seattle at the top of the food chain. I need to see Bird and Taurasi play before I anoint them the two best teams in the league.

PostPosted: 07/05/20 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
The power rankings now have Phoenix and Seattle at the top of the food chain. I need to see Bird and Taurasi play before I anoint them the two best teams in the league.

(Last years regular season finish, * equals same record)
I agree...
1-4 right now I still have Washington (1st) and LA (3rd) on top, followed by Seattle (*6th) and Chicago (5th) for my top 4.
———-EDD, Emma and Tina is still a formidable big 3, plus Atkins and Powers...Leilani isn’t the best point guard but she can facilitate an offense and hit 3s really well, and Hawkins also spreads the floor.
———-LA loses depth with Chiney and Toliver out, but their starting lineup to end the season (Gray, Williams, TRP, Parker, Nneka) is still intact, and they add Seimone, Sykes.
———-even if Bird isn’t the same player she was, Stewart is back and forms a tough combo with Howard, maybe a big 3 with Loyd, plus the emergence of Canada and Russell.
———-Chicago was already playing well without Lavender, and they replace Ndour with Stevens, and instead of a 3rd string wing in KLS they have a 3rd string post in Hebard. I think Stevens can be a good fit with Dolson, and flourish with Vandersloot.

5-7 Tough call after between Vegas (4th), Phoenix (8th) and Connecticut (2nd).
———-Wilson and McBride is still a great duo without Cambage and Plum, Robinson can dish, but the question mark is Angel. I can see Hamby stepping up.
———-how healthy/fit is DT and what will that look like for her, how will Skylar hold up for a season.
———-Sun still have the Thomas’s, and add Bonner. But Bonner plus MVP candidate Griner only scraped into the playoffs last season. Will AT step up with Jonquel out?

8-9 Last spot likely between Indiana (9th) and Minnesota (*7th).
———-if Sims were playing at the start, and transitions well after pregnancy, I would give it to the Lynx easily;
———-Fever get close, but not quite hot enough yet if Sims is around for most of the Lynx season.

10-12 Lottery bound Atlanta (12th), Dallas (*10th), New York (*11th).
———-maybe Johnson and Williams have bounce back seasons, Carter adjusts well to the point, and Williams takes over as go to scorer with Hayes out. Too many maybes....
———-and maybe one of the Wings or Liberty gets lucky that we have a shortened season, and finds a hot streak at some point in the season with all of their youth. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 07/05/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sims was definitely playing recently. i don't know if it was anything formal, but she's definitely been in the gym.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/05/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

(Last years regular season finish, * equals same record)
I agree...
1-4 right now I still have Washington (1st) and LA (3rd) on top, followed by Seattle (*6th) and Chicago (5th) for my top 4.
———-EDD, Emma and Tina is still a formidable big 3, plus Atkins and Powers...Leilani isn’t the best point guard but she can facilitate an offense and hit 3s really well, and Hawkins also spreads the floor.
———-LA loses depth with Chiney and Toliver out, but their starting lineup to end the season (Gray, Williams, TRP, Parker, Nneka) is still intact, and they add Seimone, Sykes.
———-even if Bird isn’t the same player she was, Stewart is back and forms a tough combo with Howard, maybe a big 3 with Loyd, plus the emergence of Canada and Russell.
———-Chicago was already playing well without Lavender, and they replace Ndour with Stevens, and instead of a 3rd string wing in KLS they have a 3rd string post in Hebard. I think Stevens can be a good fit with Dolson, and flourish with Vandersloot.

5-7 Tough call after between Vegas (4th), Phoenix (8th) and Connecticut (2nd).
———-Wilson and McBride is still a great duo without Cambage and Plum, Robinson can dish, but the question mark is Angel. I can see Hamby stepping up.
———-how healthy/fit is DT and what will that look like for her, how will Skylar hold up for a season.
———-Sun still have the Thomas’s, and add Bonner. But Bonner plus MVP candidate Griner only scraped into the playoffs last season. Will AT step up with Jonquel out?

8-9 Last spot likely between Indiana (9th) and Minnesota (*7th).
———-if Sims were playing at the start, and transitions well after pregnancy, I would give it to the Lynx easily;
———-Fever get close, but not quite hot enough yet if Sims is around for most of the Lynx season.

10-12 Lottery bound Atlanta (12th), Dallas (*10th), New York (*11th).
———-maybe Johnson and Williams have bounce back seasons, Carter adjusts well to the point, and Williams takes over as go to scorer with Hayes out. Too many maybes....
———-and maybe one of the Wings or Liberty gets lucky that we have a shortened season, and finds a hot streak at some point in the season with all of their youth. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

Your rankings look really good to me. Top 4 seem right. I've also thought the Sky deserved a high ranking because they should have a lot of continuity with most of the key players being back. In a short season I think that matters a lot.

Indy and Lynx fighting it out for the last playoff spot seems right. I'd give the edge to the Lynx.

I agree on your lottery bound trio as well. I think the Dream have only E. Williams and Billings back from last year's terrible team, and like the Liberty lots of new players learning from a new coach. I think the Wings are the best of the 3 but it will be pretty close.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/07/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle
LA
Chicago
PHX
DC
LV
Dallas
Conn
Indiana
Minnesota