PostPosted: 05/26/20 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Bird/Canada/Prince
SG: Loyd/Whitcomb
SF: Clark/Tuck
PF: Howard/Langhorne/Magbegor
C: Stewart/Russell

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-waives-joyner-holmes-and-haley-gorecki/

Quote:
With the team’s 2020 first round draft selection, guard Kitija Laksa, electing to remain in her native Latvia this season, Seattle’s roster is set at 12.

Ok I'm calling BS on this revisionist history. Laksa isn't the one who wanted to stay in Latvia this season, she wanted to compete - it was Valavanis/Hughes who made her stay put. Evil or Very Mad

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Ok I'm calling BS on this revisionist history. Laksa isn't the one who wanted to stay in Latvia this season, she wanted to compete - it was Valavanis/Hughes who made her stay put.

I suspect she isn’t the only one.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/26/20 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah I think many suspensions were strongly encouraged.
But if I were presented with suspension agreement or will get cut, I would agree to the suspension given that most teams are full for this season anyway.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/26/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless she agrees from the start that she won't show up until next year, I sincerely doubt that Laksa goes #11 in the first place. It was all part of one process and agreement.

PostPosted: 05/27/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Unless she agrees from the start that she won't show up until next year, I sincerely doubt that Laksa goes #11 in the first place. It was all part of one process and agreement.

The process would’ve made a lot more sense if it were for the sake of a player who was actually good. Laughing I have no reason to believe that Laksa will be more of an impactful player for this team than KML was. A deferral pick was ok last year in Magbebor, it’ll be more ok next Draft with the deeper international class (and weaker collegiate class), but this year there was no one worth going through all this deferral trouble for in the first round, just because we brought in/kept one too many pointless veterans at an inconvenient cost (of our own making). Rolling Eyes

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/31/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/seattlestorm/status/1267265114387804161

PostPosted: 06/01/20 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a nice statement, all in all. I wonder if other teams are or will be putting out statements of a similar sentiment. (Although, I'm not expecting any statements from a team like Atlanta. Razz )

It's a damn shame the various universities in this country don't seem to be putting out any statements as it relates to these protests. At least, not from what I've seen.

fanaticka

PostPosted: 06/01/20 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it that they misspelled the name? I had to google who "Aubrey Ahmad" was and the realized it was Ahmaud Arbery. They have it corect on their fb page now. (Excuse my ignorance, it takes a while before news get into general knowledge here in Europe) But unless there is something I am missing, how much care was given to publish such statement...

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/01/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I wonder if other teams are or will be putting out statements of a similar sentiment.

Brooklyn Nets/New York Liberty posted one around noon yesterday:

https://twitter.com/nyliberty/status/1267128187470913542/photo/1

PostPosted: 06/01/20 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
Is it that they misspelled the name? I had to google who "Aubrey Ahmad" was and the realized it was Ahmaud Arbery. They have it corect on their fb page now. (Excuse my ignorance, it takes a while before news get into general knowledge here in Europe) But unless there is something I am missing, how much care was given to publish such statement...

Fwiw, they tweeted out the statement again not much later with Ahmaud Arbery’s name spelled correctly. Can’t find the first tweet with the misspell on their twitter page.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/24/20 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is that Stewart, Loyd, Howard, Canada, and Russell will all opt in. Clark I'm 50/50 on, but I'll guess that she'll opt in, too. Leaning towards thinking that Whitcomb, Magbegor, and Bird will opt out. With Megan Rapinoe opting out of NWSL play, and Bird saying players shouldn't be judged either way (in advance? I said the same thing about Skylar Diggins-Smith lol), I would honestly be surprised if Bird opted in. I really hope she doesn't though, I want to see her get to 20 straight years of being on the roster.

The others I didn't mention I think will opt in, but I wouldn't be particularly upset to see them opt out. Razz

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/25/20 4:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt that Bird will take the risk of opting out when there always is a chance that this will be her final year

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 06/25/20 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird has been saying in interviews that the players will easily adapt to the bubble because they’re used to living in isolation overseas. I’d be surprised if she sat out. Sue also missed all of last season. Skipping two years in a row – especially at her age – would raise questions about whether she wants to play anymore. As far as Rapinoe goes, who knows what the NWSL was planning to do. We laugh at the WNBA for often behaving like a minor league, but the NWSL has even fewer resources. Maybe Megan didn’t trust their safety precautions or perhaps the remuneration wasn’t enough to make the risk worthwhile. I think it’s a situation where people weigh every pro and con carefully. A collection of slight differences in the arrangements may be enough to sway someone’s decision.

Either way, today is the big day! Smile

PostPosted: 06/25/20 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amazon buys naming rights to KeyArena, will call it Climate Pledge Arena

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/amazon-buys-naming-rights-to-keyarena-will-call-it-climate-pledge-arena/

Shades

PostPosted: 06/28/20 5:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals and Boomers star jets off to Florida WNBA hub
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/opals-and-boomers-star-jets-off-to-florida-wnba-hub-20200627-p556uq.html

Quote:
In a year when so many of the best-laid plans have been confounded by COVID-19 restrictions, Ezi Magbegor will don a mask and head to the US on Monday to fulfil her goal of playing in the WNBA.

Quote:
"I definitely had to weigh up the whole COVID-19 situation. With things still being on hold with travel, I had to think about travelling to the states.

"I had a lot of things to consider but the WNBA have put in a plan and it has re-assured a lot of the athletes."

Magbegor plans to wear a mask throughout her travels which will see her spend a few days in Seattle before flying to Florida.

Quote:
Magbegor isn't setting big expectations for her first season, she plans to learn as much as she can from the likes of Stewart and Bird then give her side all that she can when on court.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/29/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Hughes opts out

Gary Kloppenburg will coach the team this season

PostPosted: 06/29/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Dan Hughes opts out

Bold of Klopp not to opt out as well, considering he’s older than Hughes is! (Though I don’t believe Klopp has ever had cancer)

We’ll miss you, Coach - see ya next year, and stay healthy between now & then. 👋

Shades

PostPosted: 06/29/20 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The team said the 65-year-old underwent a medical assessment, which indicated he's potentially "at a higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19," leading to his decision to miss the season.

scrappy

PostPosted: 06/29/20 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Amazon buys naming rights to KeyArena, will call it Climate Pledge Arena

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/amazon-buys-naming-rights-to-keyarena-will-call-it-climate-pledge-arena/

just when you think things can't get any dumber.

may be people will end up calling it cpa.

PostPosted: 06/29/20 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Dan Hughes opts out

Bold of Klopp not to opt out as well, considering he’s older than Hughes is! (Though I don’t believe Klopp has ever had cancer)

We’ll miss you, Coach - see ya next year, and stay healthy between now & then. 👋

Couldn't Klop (or Hughes for that matter) just sit in the stands and use his phone to talk to the players during time outs, etc? Won't be a noisy arena....

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/30/20 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Couldn't Klop (or Hughes for that matter) just sit in the stands and use his phone to talk to the players during time outs, etc? Won't be a noisy arena....

Taking that idea a step further: Couldn't the absent head coaches just coach via phone/video call from their homes during timeouts? Razz

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/30/20 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:

Taking that idea a step further: Couldn't the absent head coaches just coach via phone/video call from their homes during timeouts? Razz

You could coach games remotely, I imagine, but coaching is as much about group dynamics as tactics, and so practices and team events are just as important, maybe more important, than the games themselves. And also games are probably the easiest to control in terms of social distancing. It's hard to always coach from six feet or more away.

PostPosted: 06/30/20 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:

You could coach games remotely, I imagine, but coaching is as much about group dynamics as tactics, and so practices and team events are just as important, maybe more important, than the games themselves. And also games are probably the easiest to control in terms of social distancing. It's hard to always coach from six feet or more away.

Did you mean "not the easiest" ? I recall a baseball manager (Mets I think) who got suspended or kicked out a game, and used his cellphone to call the dugout. I think he got caught. I imagine no coach would want to be sitting far away from the players during a game.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/30/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:
Dan Hughes opts out

Better yet, just get one of these.

But Klop should be okay. I seem to remember SEA breaking out under Klop the last time Hughes sat, Russell in particular.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/30/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:

A lot of times, the head coach is standing up, away from the bench -- and I have to think the bench players will be spread out (maybe into the first row of seats). Most coaches don't interact much with the players during a game, so it doesn't seem that bad to me. Practice will be a little more difficult, I think, but doable.

Did you mean "not the easiest" ? I recall a baseball manager (Mets I think) who got suspended or kicked out a game, and used his cellphone to call the dugout. I think he got caught. I imagine no coach would want to be sitting far away from the players during a game.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: