RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

If the WNBA's 2020 Season is Truncated/Cancelled, then...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/26/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/adam-silver-significant-coronavirus-spread-could-end-nba-restart/

PostPosted: 06/26/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/adam-silver-significant-coronavirus-spread-could-end-nba-restart/

That would be great for WNBA ratings if they canceled the NBA season. Although that assumes they would cancel one but allow the other to continue, which may not be the case, even if the WNBA does not have a similar number of cases.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/27/20 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

That would be great for WNBA ratings if they canceled the NBA season. Although that assumes they would cancel one but allow the other to continue, which may not be the case, even if the WNBA does not have a similar number of cases.

I can't imagine the WNBA would play if the NBA is down.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/27/20 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking it up, I didn't realize that the IMG Academy is (by car) almost an hour away from Tampa, and almost two hours away from Walt Disney World in Orlando. I'm choosing to believe that whatever size outbreak occurs in either League won't affect the operations of the other in significant ways.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/27/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Suppose both leagues are in the midst of play, the NBA has lots of cases, the WNBA has few, and the NBA shuts down their season. Why should the WNBA do so just because the NBA has? That would be a public statement that the WNBA means absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Suppose both leagues are in the midst of play, the NBA has lots of cases, the WNBA has few, and the NBA shuts down their season. Why should the WNBA do so just because the NBA has? That would be a public statement that the WNBA means absolutely nothing.

Or it would be a public statement that the NBA is willing to protect their meal ticket NBA players and not their WNBA counterparts.

miller40

PostPosted: 06/27/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Or it would be a public statement that the NBA is willing to protect their meal ticket NBA players and not their WNBA counterparts.

Or it could be a statement that we are still in a pandemic, one which our federal government has taken no pains to seriously address, and that it’s irresponsible to jeopardize anyone’s safety for the neoliberal-capitalistic goal of maximizing profit over basic human safety, health, and entertainment.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/27/20 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the WNBA have to play in Florida, or is it possible that they move the site?

PostPosted: 06/27/20 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Does the WNBA have to play in Florida, or is it possible that they move the site?

They've definitely had other options, and I've seen suggestions that it's absolutely not 'Bradenton or bust'. But at this point, it kinda feels like we'd have heard something if they were seriously considering continuing the current plan just in a different place. How bad would it have to get in Florida for them to say "it's so bad there, let's find somewhere else"? They keep hitting high after high after high in Covid cases. It seems to me like they trust the bubble-ness of their site to override the state of the area outside.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone not aware of this (I wasn't till hours ago)... the National Women's Soccer League began a Championship Cup tournament today. The Orlando Pride had to withdraw because six players and four staff members recently tested positive for Covid-19.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
tfan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Or it could be a statement that we are still in a pandemic, one which our federal government has taken no pains to seriously address, and that it’s irresponsible to jeopardize anyone’s safety for the neoliberal-capitalistic goal of maximizing profit over basic human safety, health, and entertainment.

X_______________

But if that was the case, they wouldn't be planning to start the season.

FWIW, I don't think they should.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/27/20 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mo Currie @WomensBasketball247 on Twitter is indicating that an entire team may opt-out from play. I can only think of Dallas doing this as their social media has been very quiet. All other teams have shown players at practice and arriving into their home town.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/27/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Mo Currie @WomensBasketball247 on Twitter is indicating that an entire team may opt-out from play. I can only think of Dallas doing this as their social media has been very quiet. All other teams have shown players at practice and arriving into their home town.

Everything you've said here may prove to be accurate. But it's also a possibility that on some other WNBA team or teams players who weeks ago were anxious to return to basketball may be quite troubled (with good reason) about what's happening now in Florida. There could be conversations at team practices, elsewhere, or just virtually about whether to consider a collective opting out.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Dallas had media day today.

My guess would be the Mystics. Currie is most closely connected to them. EDD is probably skurt, and Powers has other interests right now. Thibault is in the risk category.

I kinda wonder if a majority of a certain team tested positive, like maybe Chicago if Colson practiced with other players before testing.

But I hope it’s just another bad rumor and it doesn’t happen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/27/20 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/27/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
For anyone not aware of this (I wasn't till hours ago)... the National Women's Soccer League began a Championship Cup tournament today. The Orlando Pride had to withdraw because six players and four staff members recently tested positive for Covid-19.

The teams were supposed to self quarantine.

A number of the younger players (per an older players post) chose to go out to the clubs instead - this is where they contracted the virus.

Too close to travel to the tourney to ensure it wouldn't spread further.

No clubbing and high chance Orlando would be in Utah competing.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's what I think. At this point the covid cases are growing exponentially where a player arguably now might be just as susceptible to getting infected ‘bubbled’ up at the IMG Academy as they would be stuck at home while still having to go out & get groceries amongst other errands roughly once a week. Most states/places don't and won't have a hard mandate on mask wearing. At least by opting in, you'll get paid (pretty well) for doing what you love and won't be completely socially isolated. I still understand opting out, but a player might just get infected anyway.

If an entire team opts out, fine. Either find approx. 11 replacement players for the team, or roll with 11 teams. I feel like even if as many as 4 teams opt out entirely, they should still attempt a season.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/27/20 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Here's what I think. At this point the covid cases are growing exponentially where a player arguably now might be just as susceptible to getting infected ‘bubbled’ up at the IMG Academy as they would be stuck at home while still having to go out & get groceries amongst other errands roughly once a week. Most states/places don't and won't have a hard mandate on mask wearing. At least by opting in, you'll get paid (pretty well) for doing what you love and won't be completely socially isolated. I still understand opting out, but a player might just get infected anyway.

If an entire team opts out, fine. Either find approx. 11 replacement players for the team, or roll with 11 teams. I feel like even if as many as 4 teams opt out entirely, they should still attempt a season.

I see the league rolling with 11 teams like the NWSL did when Orlando withdrew.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/27/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole point of being in a protective bubble is that you’re safer than you are outside. Luuuc’s video is pretty representative of the pandemic deniers who are running around in the “normal” world. There are people who act like wearing a mask to protect their neighbors is some kind of government conspiracy. Who cares if the world medical community is united in recommending masks? This is clearly a ploy to deprive people of their civil liberties. Then there are the religious extremists who think we should do nothing and whatever catastrophe happens is “the will of God.” Meanwhile, the players are being offered an environment where they and everyone around them are tested regularly. If anybody is found to be sick, that person will get immediate medical attention – probably from top notch doctors. Is this really worse than the outside world? And on top of that, the players get to do what they love and receive 100% pay for 61% of the games. Personally, if I could find a protective bubble filled with my peers and like-minded people, I’d move there in a heartbeat.

What we’ve learned about this virus is that the recommended precautions work. That's why places that were hard hit early were able to flatten the curve. It seems like the WNBA is doing their best to seek out advice from the medical community. Can they guarantee 100% safety? No. But if everyone buys in and follows the rules, then I think there’s a good chance of success. What it comes down to is whether the players think they can trust each other to behave responsibly.

PostPosted: 06/27/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

My guess would be the Mystics. Currie is most closely connected to them. EDD is probably skurt, and Powers has other interests right now. Thibault is in the risk category.

I kinda wonder if a majority of a certain team tested positive, like maybe Chicago if Colson practiced with other players before testing.

I've been out of touch for the last week, but I thought the 25th was the opt out deadline. So how could a whole team opt out now?

If I got that wrong, there is the whole Dream/Loffler debacle surrounding her comments about mob rule in Atlanta. (See the Dream thread.) Maybe something is going on behind the scenes?

Shades

PostPosted: 06/27/20 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I've been out of touch for the last week, but I thought the 25th was the opt out deadline. So how could a whole team opt out now?

It’s kinda hard to enforce an opt-out deadline. How would you punish them any further? I do think they should put a team last in line for a draft pick if the whole team drops out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/27/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
there is the whole Dream/Loffler debacle surrounding her comments about mob rule in Atlanta. (See the Dream thread.)

I’ve seen the most recent posts on that thread... wish I hadn’t. Laughing

Shades wrote:
It’s kinda hard to enforce an opt-out deadline. How would you punish them any further? I do think they should put a team last in line for a draft pick if the whole team drops out.

+1. If that rule were implemented, a team like Dallas really shouldn’t be opting out for their own sake. Washington, however, doesn’t have any draft picks for the 2021 Draft, last I checked...

And as it relates to which team could be the one considering sitting out altogether, I’d guess Washington.

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/27/20 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boy, that would really suck for Emma Meesseman to drag herself across the ocean only to have all her American teammates opt-out. Confused

PostPosted: 06/28/20 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Boy, that would really suck for Emma Meesseman to drag herself across the ocean only to have all her American teammates opt-out. Confused

There’s absolutely no indication here in the DMV that the Mystics have any plans whatsoever of opting out as a team.

Thibault just added Essence Carson to the roster. DC is planning to play, but of course if the virus swept through the roster, that could cause players and coaches to reconsider. Which is true for any team.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/28/20 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
root_thing wrote:

There’s absolutely no indication here in the DMV that the Mystics have any plans whatsoever of opting out as a team.

Thibault just added Essence Carson to the roster. DC is planning to play, but of course if the virus swept through the roster, that could cause players and coaches to reconsider. Which is true for any team.

People keep saying it'll be the Mystics, but if so, I'd hope they'd tell Meesseman to stay home. She apparently flew in yesterday. Plus they signed Carson as well. Why give a player a contract to have the entire team withdraw this week.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/28/20 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all due respect, Mo has a tendency to hear whispers and then 'report' them as screams. Of course teams have 'discussed' pulling out en masse. Who the hell wouldn't when the league is intending to send you to one of the country's Covid-19 hotspots, and via commercial travel rather than charters like the NBA? That doesn't necessarily mean it's on the brink of actually happening. I'd wait until we hear something more concrete rather than turning this into more than it is.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: