Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/24/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas, Natisha Hiedeman & Kaila Charles have all opted in according to today's Zoom meeting.

Connecticut might be in trouble. I wonder if Bonner has any regrets?

Those players all opted in and will play this summer, unless you mean that either Jonquel Jones skipping out is just that devastating to the team's title hopes (which it is); or those four players opting in could spell trouble for the team's title hopes. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/24/20 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Jasmine Thomas, Alyssha Thomas, Hiedeman & Kaila Charles have all opted in according to today's Zoom meeting.

She's a mother , i would not be shocked or upset if she opted out. It's not worth risking your family. Unless Dupree has opted in as well , then that kind of kills that notion .

I thought they were no longer a couple....but then I don't keep up on the relationships.

- Amanda Gorman
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/24/20 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Jasmine Thomas, Alyssha Thomas, Hiedeman & Kaila Charles have all opted in according to today's Zoom meeting.

She's a mother , i would not be shocked or upset if she opted out. It's not worth risking your family. Unless Dupree has opted in as well , then that kind of kills that notion .

I thought they were no longer a couple....but then I don't keep up on the relationships.

I mean, even if they're not, they were married, so unless Dupree renounced her parental rights, it would still matter whether only one or both of them were inside the bubble or not.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/24/20 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas, Natisha Hiedeman & Kaila Charles have all opted in according to today's Zoom meeting.

Those players all opted in and will play this summer, unless you mean that either Jonquel Jones skipping out is just that devastating to the team's title hopes (which it is); or those four players opting in could spell trouble for the team's title hopes. Laughing

I completely misread it. I thought they had all opted out.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/24/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still, even if everyone else shows up in Florida, I don't know how good of a season the Sun can have without Jonquel Jones. They had little depth as it stood before she opted out. And they don't have a first-rounder for the 2021 Draft, so they don't even have an incentive to tank. They'll have to hope all the previously projected contenders each have a star player sit out to level the playing field a little, but even then I don't see them as having enough to be back in the potential 'Finals' again this season. Their best bet imo is to just develop the young/unproven players as best as they can in order to get them ready to be solid returning contributors in 2021.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/25/20 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun have signed Jacki Gemelos.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/25/20 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Why??

Has any player ever gotten so many chances to show absolutely nothing?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/25/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Why??

Really.

Once was a nice story; her overcoming the myriad injuries that derailed her college career to achieve her dream of playing in the W.

PostPosted: 06/25/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Why??

Really.

Once was a nice story; her overcoming the myriad injuries that derailed her college career to achieve her dream of playing in the W.

I get all this but those who saw Gemelos in high school remember her as a legitimate successor to Diana Taurasi. She was talented, charismatic, a 6-0 guard who could do everything on the offensive end. Not only was her injury history a personal tragedy, but it was a serious blow to the sport.

She was special, and her love for the game is unquestioned. I'd rather have her get another shot than almost any other borderline player -- and I only wish we all could have enjoyed her spectacular talent.

PostPosted: 06/25/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comments from Miller definitely seemed to suggest that the signing was as much about character as basketball. Which for your 12th player heading into an insane situation, I totally get.

PostPosted: 06/25/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anything, Gemelos is an extra coach for Connecticut.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/25/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

You’ve been very fast lately with the reporting of news. Laughing

Gracias.

PostPosted: 06/25/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
If anything, Gemelos is an extra coach for Connecticut.

In what way? What does she bring to the team in terms of coaching?

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/26/20 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Why??

You are being rather harsh. She has not gotten any more chances that anyone else in her situation. Getting signed to a training camp roster is in reality not that much of a chance. Once players are tagged as a roster signee it is a hard label to break. training camps in the WNBA are very short and borderline players are kept and released more on reputation than anything else. The only real chance they get to show what they can do requires a lot of things to fall into place. In other words they need a lot of luck.

As I mentioned, training camp is not long enough and they only play a couple of preseason games, so unless you make a roster and get real playing time getting signed to camp really is not much of an opportunity. Landing in the right place along with other factors are actually more important thant han talent for players like Jacky. That seems to have only happened once for Jacky when she landed with Chicago some seasons ago. For the most part, she usually ended up being signed to camp with teams where those factors actually worked against here.

It is very difficult for a player to crack a WNBA roster on just a training camp showing. I can understand the reasoning behind that. Players could hit a hot streak in camp that could cool down very quickly. the camps just do not last long enough to be a viable measure iin predictiing a players effictiveness for an entire season. That is why roster decisons for the last cuts are often based on factors not related to a players training camp showing. This is why being signed to a rrainig camp roster is not really much of an opportunity. Many players get signed and released before camp even begins. In fact the Suns are the second team Gemelos has already signed with this season. She was signed and released already before camp even began. Thats some opportunity.

PostPosted: 06/26/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s what Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas and more Connecticut Sun players had to say about opting into the season, what to expect from the 2020 team and more
https://www.courant.com/sports/connecticut-sun/hc-sp-connecticut-sun-update-20200626-20200626-k34diuz2azfg7a3w5jrim7c22a-story.html

Quote:
Starters Jasmine Thomas and Alyssa Thomas — as well as returners Bria Holmes, Brionna Jones and Natisha Hiedeman and rookie Kaila Charles — confirmed to media that they are all on board to play for the Connecticut Sun this season. Jonquel Jones is the only player yet to publicly announce she’s opting out, leaving DeWanna Bonner, Briann January, Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Theresa Plaisance as the only players whose statuses are not officially confirmed.

Quote:
According to the report, players will receive three coronavirus tests and must self-quarantine a week before before traveling to Florida. Anyone who tests positive won’t be able to appear on site until after following CDC protocol. Another round of tests and four-day quarantine period will be administered once teams arrive at IMG, following up with daily testing for at least the first two weeks.

Finally lots of details here on testing.

Quote:
The Sun will look to Brionna Jones to help answer the call in the paint. Though she’s seen limited time in her first few seasons in the league (averaging 3.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in 8.0 minutes through three seasons), she’s coming off a strong stint with USK Praha, where she made All-EuroLeague Second Team and put together a 58 point, 16-rebound performance in February.
“[Brionna] is a monster overseas,” said Alyssa Thomas, her teammate in Prague. “She hasn’t seen a lot of time in her career and finally she will have the opportunity to be on the floor. I think a lot of people will be surprised with what she can do, and I’m just excited for her to have this opportunity.”

Quote:
The Sun are also looking for Holmes — a go-to reserve for the Sun last year, her first season back from pregnancy and becoming a mother — to take on a larger role, not only moving from small forward to guard but potentially assuming a starting role.

Quote:
Overseas, [Gemelos] averaged 13.5 points, shot 65.8 percent from the field and 43.5 percent from behind the arc while dishing out 4.5 assists for Olympiacos this past year.

So now you know why.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/26/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Greek league Crying or Very sad

Shades

PostPosted: 06/26/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
In the Greek league

Awhom should probably speak to that, but it looks to be a Euroleague level club.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/26/20 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
In the Greek league

Awhom should probably speak to that, but it looks to be a Euroleague level club.

If the Sun are preparing to start Holmes that says alot about Bonners intentions... .

I had a line up of

Thomas
January
Bonner
Thomas
Jones (whichever you decide)

PostPosted: 06/26/20 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thinking Bonner sits out.

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: January /Charles/Gemelos
SF: Holmes/KML
PF: AThomas/Plaisance?
C: BJones/Mompremier

toad455

PostPosted: 07/12/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hiedeman and January tested positive and did not travel to IMG Academy. Both will travel to, Florida once they have received two negative results. Sun with just ten players currently.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/01/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

January has entered the wubble. Will be placed in quarantine for 4-days.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/02/20 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Curt Miller is not, in the words of SF Giant GM Brian Sabean after a controversial trade, the village idiot. Which means he must have a reason for playing Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

She's shooting 18.8% from three-point distance, has a PER of -0.5, and has -33 in 67 minutes on the court.

The eye test says she's a horrid defender, and the stats agree that she's bad.

So why does she play? I know coaches value players who understand the system and are always in the right place, but even if KML is always in the right place, she doesn't do much even then.

There are no UConn fans in the arena to placate.

So why does she play that much? Again, Miller must have his reasons, but can anyone tease out what they might be?

PostPosted: 08/02/20 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, the Sun's bench is simply terrible. Hiedeman's their best player. Maybe with January there, Holmes goes to the bench? Mompremier hasn't really shown much, KML is useless and Gemelos is just there. Don't see them making the playoffs. Sucks for Bonner, but hopefully she can return next season with Jonquel back.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/02/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Bria Holmes fantasy owner, I can confirm that she's producing next to sod all. Jasmine Thomas owners probably aren't too happy so far either. Mosqueda-Lewis plays because this roster is barren once you go past their star frontcourt. But I agree that if they're healthy enough to play more, throw the likes of Gemelos and Charles out there more. They can scarcely do any worse, and KML's defense remains abysmal.

PostPosted: 08/03/20 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
As a Bria Holmes fantasy owner, I can confirm that she's producing next to sod all. Jasmine Thomas owners probably aren't too happy so far either. Mosqueda-Lewis plays because this roster is barren once you go past their star frontcourt. But I agree that if they're healthy enough to play more, throw the likes of Gemelos and Charles out there more. They can scarcely do any worse, and KML's defense remains abysmal.

As Tara would say "sometimes you're the dog, and sometimes you're the hydrant'

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: